Hide Articles List

10 articles on this Page

CARMARTHEN BOROUGH POLICE…

CARMARTHEN COUNTY PETTY SESSIONS.

LLANDOVERY COUNTY COURT.

LLANDOVERY BOARD OF GUARDIANS.

T H E C A R M A R T H OSH1…

ST. CLEARS GARDEN SOCIETY.

WIIATELEY'S "WHAT NOTS."

NOTES FROM CENTRAL CARDIGANSHIRE.

-_--DEATH OF MR. DAVID PUGH,…

News
Cite
Share

DEATH OF MR. DAVID PUGH, M.P. BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH. We regret to announce the death of Mr David Pugh, member of Parliament for the Eastern division of Carmarthenshire, which took place in the early hours of Saturday at the Hotel Metropole, London. Mr Pugh, who was 84 years of age, had been in failing health for some months, but, notwithstanding, proceeded to London at the commencement of the present session to discharge his parliamentary duties. Early last week the hon. gentleman was taken seriously ill at the Hotel Metropole, and his estate agent (Mr G. Jones) was summoned with all speed from Llandilo. Having regard to Mr Pugh's advanced age there was little expectation of his recovery, and he gradually sank and passed peacefully away Saturday morning. The deceased gentleman was the oldest member of the existing House of Commons with the exception of the Hon. C. P. Villieis, the veteran senior member for Wolverhampton. Mr David Pugh, of Manoravon—or, more pro- perly speaking, Manorvabon—a charming country residence in the midst of the beautiful scenery of the Vale of Towy, near the town of Llandilo, Carmarthenshire, was born in 1800, and was, therefore, 84 years of age. In looking back for more than two centuries we find that he is con- nected with the Rev Philip Pugh, a celebrated Independent (Welsh) minister at Cilgwyn. Llwyn- piod, Abermeurig, who was born in Hendref, Llanpennal, in 1570. He was "a dignified gentle- man, possessed of considerable wealth and many lauds and mansions," including Hendref (where he resided), Ffos yr Odyn, and Glandwr. He married a rich lady, a daughter of "Coedmawr Fawr," near Lampeter, with whom lie received in dowry several fertile farms, all of which are situate in that neighbourhood. It is on record that a Philip Pugh was made a member of a Puritan congregation in Llanbadarn Odwyn in 1655, and it is thought that he was the father of the young divine. This minister had a son, Mr David Pugh, of Coedmawr, near Lampeter, who in 1714 married Kachael, the daughter of Mr Rhys Lloyd, of the Alltyrodyn family, but who lived at Cilyblaidd, Peucarreg parish, and she and her sister Jane became the heiresses of the Alltyrodiu Estate. By this lady (Rachael) Mi- David Pugh had three children, the elder of whom was Mr David Pugh, of Coedmawr, who was appointed to the shrievalty of Carmarthen- shire in 1747. A third son was Mr John Pugh. The second son was Mr Philip Pugh, who married and had a son, Mr David Heron Pugh, of Coedmawr and Manoravon. He became lieutenant-colonel of a Volunteer corps, and died in^1820. By his wife, Elizabeth, daught er o Mr W illiam Beynon, second son of Mr John Beynon, Trewern, Pembrokeshire, whom lie married at Carmarthen in 1803, he had issue three children, the elder of whom was Elizabeth, who died when young. The third son was the Rev John William Pugh, who was vicar of Llandilo, which incumbency he held from 1837 till his death in 1852. The second son was the late deceased gentleman. Mr Pugh received his early training at the famous Rugby School, and subsequently pro- ceeded to Balliol College, Oxford, where he had a brilliant career. He was called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1837, and for some years went the Northern Circuit. Possessed of considerable private means, he never devoted himself to the work of making a large practice at the bar, but he was a striking figure at the the bar mess, where his brilliant conversational powers and his fund of anecdote and story made him immenseiy popular. After his brother's death Mr Pugh came to reside permanently at Manoravon. He applied himself to the work of perfecting agriculture in the neighbourhood, and in this way conferred a lasting benefit on the tillers of the soil in Carmarthenshire. As a breeder of the shorthorns he soon acquired a national reputation. Mr Pugh fulfilled with rare assiduity all the duties of an opulent country gentleman. From 1843 to 1852 he was chairman of the Caunar- tbenslnre Quarter Sessions, in which capacity his legal training and logical acumen served him in good stead. He was also deputv lieutenant of Cardiganshire.. Mr Pugh was induced, when an opportunity presented itse/f, to occupy a seat at St. Stephen's. In the twentieth year of her Majesty's reign Mr David Arthur Saunders Davies, of Pentre, and Mr David Jones, of Pantglas, both Conservatives, wer« returned to the House of Commons for the Parliament commencing on the 30th of April, 1857. Mr Saunders Davies died on the 23rd of May in that year, and on the 12th of June following Mr David Pugh was elected in his place as a Liberal-Consen atiyc. He continued to hold the seat till 18(58. On the 11th of November in that year the then Mr Disraeli (afterwards the Earl of BeaconstieU) being Prime Minister, Parliament was dissolved in order to give effect to the new Reform Act which had just been passed. Mr Pugh again offered to re- present Carmarthenshire, and a tierce political war was waged. There were on this occasion four candidates in the field. Mr Edward John Sartoris, of Warneford, Hampshire, who had property in Llangennech, was returned in the Liberal interest at the head of the poll, and Mr John Jones, of Blaenos, a Conservative, was his colleague, the former receiving 3,2UO votes, and the latter 2,933. Mr Henry Lavallin Puxley, of Lletherllestri, a Conservative, and Mr David Pugh, classed as a Liberal Conservative, were the defeated candidates, the respective votes accorded them being 2,828 and 1,345. The news of the defeat was accepted very good-humouredly by Mr Pugh. In local circles intense excitement was manifested in this election, and Mr Pugh was thereafter regarded as a follower of Gladstone and Bright. The Parliament of 18()8 saw its termination on the 25th of January, 1874, Mr Pugh having in 9 the meantime lived a comparatively quiet and retired life on his estates. During the Parliament that lasted from 1880 to 1885 Mr Gladstone carried a Bill for the re- distribution of seats, when Carmarthenshire came to be divided into eastern and western divisions. Mr Pugh, who came forward to solicit the suffrages of the former portion, threw of the mantle of wavering, & declared himself as a (,'lad- stonian Liberal, his opponent being the descendant of an old Liberal family, viz SirMarteine Lloyd, Bart., of Bronwydd, who contested the seat for the Conservatives. The result was a foregone conclusion. The polling commenced on the 4th of December, 1885, and on the day following. at; Llandilo, it was announced that Mr PuglHtad beaten his adversary by 4,487 votes to 2,122', That -P:trliament only lived five months i e" from the 12th of January to the 26tli of June, 1886. On the 8th of June in the same year Mr Gladstone brought forward the second reading of the Irish Home Rule Bill and was defeat d by a majority of 30, the number of votes for the Government measure being 311, against 341. Parliament then disolved, and an appeal wis made to the nation. The oth of August, 1880, saw a fresh Parliament, with the Marquess of Salisbury as its Prime Minister. For the Eastern Division of Carmarthenshire Mr Pugh 9 was returned unopposed on the 6th of July, and he held the seat up to his death, but he did not intend to seek re-election at the expiration of his term of office. When present at convivial meetings Mr Pugh, who was one of the fiist supporteis of the Volunteer movement, generally had his name coupled with "The Auxiliary Forces," and, as Captain Pugh, he was called upon to respond. He was identified with many good movements iu Llandilo and neighbourhood, and, indeed, with not a few iu the united counties, aud had been at one time or another a member of all, or, at least, most of the public bodie-i in and about Llandilo- Fawr. In the upper districts of Carmarthenshire particularly his name is ;t household word, and for long generations to come will Mr David Pugh, of Manoravon, be spoken of with deep reverence and respect.

Advertising