Hide Articles List

23 articles on this Page




[No title]



ENGLISH CUP:—QUALIFYING ROUND. BIRKENHEAD v. BUCKLEY VICTORIA.—Played at the Chester-street enclosure, Birkenhead, on Saturday, before several hundred spectators. The opening exchanges favoured the visitors, who were assisted by a strong wind at their backs, but they failed to penetrate the defence of Lunt and Douglas. A minute before the whistle sounded Viner saved a shot from short range from Lewis. In the second half the play ruled extremely fast, and of an exciting character, each end being visited in rapid succession. Lowell scored for Birkenhead. Some ten minutes later Stringer with a nicety shot overhead, the kick defeating the Bucklev goalkeeper for a second time. Final-Birkenbe-td, 3; Buckley Victoria, nil. Rarr. UxrTED v. LLANDUDNO SWIFTS.—Played at Bellevae Athletic Grounds, Ithyl, in windy weather, and before a good crowd of spectators. Llandadno won the toss, and played with the wind at their backs. Matthews opened the score for Rhyl. Half- tiw-e-lilayl, 1; Uandudno, nil. Final-Rhyl United, 3 Llandudno Swifts, nil. THAXMEBE ROVERS T. WHITE STAB W ÀDERERS.- There was a good crowd present at Prenton Park on Saturday. Robaon won the toss, Roberta startiug on behalf of White Star, who, aided by a strong wind, immediately assumed the aggressive. Mearns put in a long shot, which was carried by the wind into thj home goal mouth, where the ball passed off Harold's back through the home goal after about seven minutes' play. Final—White Star, 1; Tranmere Rovers, nil. DRUIDS v. OHIRIv. Played in Wynnstay Park oil Saturday, in boisterous weather, before a good gate. Chirk had the advantage of a strong wind. From a neat run by the Druids' right, Ephraim shot over. At the other end Roose was called upon, and twice saved magnificently. George Williams very finely stopped the Druidd' left, and although the homesters were going strongly, the wind more or less nullified their efforts. Morris took the ball rff the foot of Hawkins jaat in time. Mcrris robbed Batler, and Harris tried a long shot. From a tbron in, W. Wynn at long range notched the first point for Chirk. From the re-start, Ephraim missed heading a beautiful pass from Hawkins. A combined ru-ih nearly caused the downfall of the Chirk citadel. Morris had again to save from Hawkins. Lloyd Davies shot wide Harris and Roberts had shots, bat Roose was watchful. The Druids' left had a ran, but Meredith checked in time. The home right effected a good run. A strong rush ensued. Morris was called upon twice to save his charge. Butler headed in beautifully, but Morris saved, and the visitors' right got down. A corner for the Druids, and several ugly rushes followed, but without result. "J emmy" and Wynn tried shots at the other end. From a corner the Chirk defence was taxed heavily, bat proved impassable. The home left made a brilliant run, but DavieB was ruled off- side. The homesters now made the pace. A com- bined rush by the visitors' front rank was the next feature, but Harris shot outside. After an abortive corner for Chirk, Price robbed Vaughan smartly. A tussle between Roose and S. Roberts caused con- siderable amusement. At the other end, Morris had to fiat out twice. From a pass on the visitors' right Charlie missed tiie ball owing to the wind, and S. Roberta had a clear ran, and easily put his club ahead for the second time just as the whistle blew for the interval. Half-time reiiult-Gairk, 2 goals; Druids, nil. Oa resuming Lockley and Butler tried shots. Ephraim missed, through slipping, what looked like a certain goal; Williams stopped Vaughan, and at the other end W. Davies shot over. The halve3 on each side were determined, and strong play in midfieid was the order for a short time. From a pass on the Druids' right, Hawkins missed a splendid opening through shooting outside a corner for the homesters and C. Thomas tried a long phot; Lockiey just missed with a header, and Jerry shot over shortly afterwards. Two rushes looked dangerous for Chirk, but the homesters were weak at the advance." At the other end S. Roberts made a run and splendid shot. The Druids were now the aggressors. S. Roberts bad an opening, but failed, and at the other end Lockley tried a daisy cutter; Harris juat missed the mark. A pressure was put on the home defence, bat it could not be penetrated. From a combined rush Butler got through and shot in. Morris, in returning the ball, fell, and in trying to pat the sphere outside, put it into his own goal. The game now reached an exciting stage. After the visitors uad a corner, the home right took it down, but Lockley shot outside and later missed an open goal. The battle raged around the visitors' sticks. The Druids were swarm- ing round the Chirk goal when the whistle went for time. Final result:—Chirk, two goals; Druids, one goal. The following were the teams :— DHUIDS.—Roose, goal; C. Thomas and Williams, backs T. Davies, J. Price, and J. Hughes. half- backs; Hawkins and W. Butler, right wing; Ephraim Williams and Walter Davies, left wing; Locktey: centre. CHIRK.—J. Morris, goal; S. Meredith and J. Roberts, backs Morris Morris, Robert Morris, and George Williams, half-backs; James Vaugnan and W. Wynn, right wing; J. Harris and J. Roberts, left wing S. Roberts, centre. Referee, Mr R. Roberts, of Crewe.





[No title]


General News.I - -

I Army, Militia, and Volunteers.…


I Wales and the Border.

Yiews upon Many Subjects.


For < ?sure Moments. I s-