Hide Articles List

20 articles on this Page






[No title]













DEATH OF MR. CHARLES NEVILL, WESTFA, LLANELLY. Mr. Charles William Nevill. Weetfa House, NID- foel, Llattelly, died at hie residence late on Thurs- day evening. He had been ailing for many by reeaon of a complication of disorders, hence his death did Dot oonko in the nature of a eurptiae. For tbe last few years the deceased gentleman hae been entirely confined to his house, the great age which he had attained preventing him from taking part in public life, to which in lormer years be was no greatly attached. Born in 1815. lie wao. therefore, 73 years of age. He did not, at all events in lata years, bear his age well, for his faculties rapidly failed him, and some little time before his death his sight had altogether left him. His deatlt has created deep and widespread sorrow in the district where lie was more than re- spected by all parties. There is no family in the neighbourhood mote widely revered than the one to which he belonged, and of which he was a prominent member. Com. ing to Llanelly when it was beginiting to rise into impcrtance, they itave prospered with its increase, of which, indeed, their enterprise and judgment were potent factors. Mr. Charles Nevill com- bined the best traits of a family distinguished for their rectitude and amiability. Intellectually, lie occupied that position to which, as tenior member of the Nevill bouse, he aeeuied entitled. To him belonged the credit of being the only Conservative that has successtulJy cooie»ted the Carmarthen Boroughs for a rcore of years or more. In 1868 he defeated Sir Arthur Stepney, and held posses- sion of the seat until ill-health compelled hiiu to relinquish it. A devoted son of the Church, he assisted it with his ripe wisdom and contributed :argely to its funds. By his workmen he was regarded with that love anil respect which grow with many years' harmonious and affectionate con- nection. The remaining members of the family are:—Mr. Richard Nevill, J.p. (Feliofoei House), Mr.W. H. Nevill (Ferryside),a daughter who married the late Mr. R. Goriug Tbomaf, and another the Rev. Canon Williams, B.D. Mr. Nevill is succeeded by Mr. Hugh Nevill, his only son. He also leavef a widow and three daughters. Charles William Nevill was the scion of a hou-s which hss figured prominently in English his- tory. He claimed to belong to a branch of the great Neville who held the Birldom of Warwick, and looked back with pardonable pride to liiii proud ancestry, including. as it does, that great Earl of Warwick whose glorious prerogative it was to be the "king-wilker" of his country-a title which the great earl held not altogether with- out cause, for he justified it by his geuius in peace and his prowess in war. The founder of the Nevill house, no far as Llaneily is concerned, waa one who went by the same surname as the subject UI uue Drael memoir. Charles Nevill, grandfather of the gentleman who lias just passed way. came to Swansea from the Midland Counties—from the town of Birmingham. we believe-in the year 1795, to manage a copperworks, which has now ceased to exist. Whilo at Swansea this worthy gentleman took part in the active duties of citizen, ship, and proved himself, not only to be a compe- tent master, but it useful man in town life in its varied forms. Possessing the discerning eye and the keen perception which always mark the man of business, he had while at Swansea looked with more than ordinary interest to Llanelly, u town in his opinion which offered important and tempting inducements to workers in copper. The coal which the neighbourhood yielded was of good quality, and was to be had, to all appearance, iu large abundance, advantages which, with the fact of Llanellv being a seaport town, induced him in 1804 to found what now goes by the uame of the Llanelly Copperworks. His partners in this hazardous, but promising, undertaking were Mr. Ralph Allen Daniel, M.P. for Truro, and one of the moat extensive and successful miners ill Cornwall; Mr. William Saville, of London, and Mr. John Guest, of Birmingham. In its inceptioo, of course, the works only foreshadowed the impor- tance of the present coucern, which is one of the best and largest manufactories of its kind. Under the guiding hand of Mr. Nevill. it soon guvo tokens of proving an unqualified success, and quickly justified its promoters in widening its borders and opening up new and enlarging old oollteries to supply the fuel, a pten- tiful supply of which had been the | greatest inducement to the erectiou of the works. In 1813 Mr. Charles Nevill died, mourned not only by ilia relatives and friends, but by the rising town wbich his foresight and business capacity had done not a littio to bring into being. He wae buried in Llausliy Churchyard, aud above his grave a tombstone was erected, on which was inscribed a fitting memorial of his worth ir the following couplet Firm as a rock, his faith, ble virtues tried. He lived respected and lamented died. He was sucoeeded by bit son, Mr. Richnrd Janion Nevill, of Llangeunech Park, upon whom the activt management ot the copperworks now devolved Thil g,ntleman-whose career was marked with the same prosperity nod success which had attended bit father--and Mr. John Henry Vivian and Mr. Michael Williams were justly considered the three great copper kings of the Principality, and the lapse of time has not deprived them of the proud title. Mr. R. J..Nevill died in 1856. and at lus burial Use towu went into mourning. All the works were closed and shops shut, and business in its many forms waa entirely suspended. Later ou a memorial was made to his memory in the erection of the south side of the present Alhetiseutu buildings. The memorial was erected tv the public of Llanelly as a testimony ,7. the regard in which Mr. Nevill was held. Tho management of the copperworks now succeeded to Mr. Charles William Nevill, the subject of ihis notice. He was born in 1816 ut Llanelly. His education waa commenced at Swansea Grammar School, where he was the contemporary of Mr. Justice Grove Slid Lord Aberdare. Leaving Swansea, his education was couiiuued under tim famous Dr. Arnold, of Rugby, to who." influence he attributed a lot that was good in his nitture und who, ho frequently avowed, had in a largo measure formed his characer. After a few years at Rugby Mr. Novill joined his father in the management of the works-copper. lead, and coal-stt Llanelly, and at his death suc- ceeded to their active management, a post which he held until about five yeare ago, when. on account of the failing health which comes from many years, the burden of responsibility was taken from his shoulders by Mr. Hugh Nevill, his son, who now holds that position. In 1642 Mr. Nevill married Jane, daughter of Mr. David Davies, of Swansea, whom he leaves, with three sorrowing daughters and one son, to mourn his death Mr. Nevill conducted the copperworks with great ability, and embarked in many schemes to ensure its further success. Apart from liis private business, however, Mr. Nevill was a public man for many years, filling im- portant offices with a zeal which it has been the pride of his successors to emulate. No one, perhaps. in the district has ever filled so large a space and for such a lengthened period in the history of Llanelly as Mr. Nevill, who has successively filled Use chairs of almost every public board in the town. He was a niagistrate for nearly 50 veara, and also dis- charged in his time tbe offices of high-sheriff of the county and deputy-lieutenant. In 1855 he became chairman of the board of guardians, and conducted the business of the board with credit for many years. Of the board of health he wa chairman many t,.oos, and always discharged his duties with marked ability. Mr. Nowill's seat was at Westfa, Felinfoel, < village about two miles from Llaneily, associated with several eminent men in Welsh his- tory. In the village lie was much respected, and many signs and tokens are being given that his deccase lias caused wide- spread regret. Commercially, Mr. Nevill was a man of considerable ability, conducting for manv years the various concerns of the company of which he was the head with much discretion and skill. Besides the copperworks and leadworke, the company possesses a large number of collieries in the district of Llaneily, employing about 1,300 hands in all. Mr. Nevill was a zenlous, but rot a bigottod Churchman, as he haa contributed towards the erection of almost every Nonconformiat place of worship in the town. In 1858 Felinfoel Church was built, chiefly through his instrumentality, and he has richly endowed the cause. The funeral will take place on Monday at 11.30 at Felinfoel, and will be a public one.