Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

12 articles on this Page






FOOTBALL League Benefit at Pembroke Dock. MILFORD MEN TOO GOOD FOR SOUTH PEMBROKESHIRE TEAM. An interesting match, the proceeds of which were devoted to the funds of the Pembroke- shire Football League was played at Pembroke Dock on Saturday between elevens representing the teams North and South of the Haven. The team from the North was selected from two Milford teams, whereas their opponents were selected from the whole of the six clubs in Pembroke Dock and district which include Pembroke Dock, The Scots Abroad, Llanreath, Apprentices, the Royal Garrison Artillery, and Departmental Athletic. The Pembroke Dock team which took the field was, however, by no means the strongest that could have been selected for several of the men originally chosen did not turn out. At any rate they did not make a brilliant show against Milford and were defeated by 4-1. There was a very fair crowd when the teams lined up as follows:— Pembroke Dock and District. Jones (P.D.A.C.) goal; N. Berry (P.D.A.C.) and Miller (Scots Abroad), backs; Davidson (Scots Abroad), Maples (Llanreath), and Maddocks (P.D.A.C.), halves; Ivor Thomas (P.D.A.C.), Nott (R.G.A), Onslow (P.D.A.C.), Brown (Departmental), and Shears (Llanreath), forwards. Milford District.-Frice (United), goal; Shep- herd (Priory and Smith (United) backs; Bough (United), John (Priory), and Saunderson ^Unit- ed), halves; Mr. Davies (United), Adams (Unit- ed), Huggins (United), B. Davies (Priory), and A. Smith (United) forwards. Referee.—Mr. E. Jenkins, Pembroke Dock. Linesman— L. C. Jacobs (Departmental), and Mr. F. G Williams (Apprentices). The Pembroke Dock team, playing with the slope in their favour, attacked at once and Brown was soon prominent. Beating Shepherd, he sent in a stinging sli-t which Frise knocked down and cleared. Next moment a miskiek by Smith let him through again, and he calmly brought the ball close in, and then tapped it into the net, giving Frise no chance at all. The Pembroke Dock team again attacked, and found the Milford backs rather rocky, Shepherd being everything but safe, though he subse- quently improved considerably. A foul against Maples resulted in play nearing round to the other end of the goal. Jones fisted out, but Smith headed back and B. Davies found the net, but the goal was disallowed, the referee considering that the custodian had been im- peded and Davies also being offside. A corner was conceded by Berry next minute, and Jones again fisted out, whilst a hard drive from Saunderson was headed away by Miller. The latter was apparently in form, and next moment he relieved the pressure by a dashing clearance. Onslow brought the ball to the other end and shot just over. Milford, however, were soon attacking again, and the Pembroke Dock halves, with the exception of Davidson, failed to hold the opposing forwards. The two backs cleared well time after time, but the Milford van persisted in their attacks and were con- stantly dangerous. Presently Mat Davies put in a good square centre, and Smith dashing up, met the ball and banged in a tremendous shot. Someone was seen to bound across the goal and tip the ball over the bar in first-class style, but it turned out that it was not the goal-keeper but Miller,who, bein!: an old goal-keeper, could not (restraint his linstinots apparently. The crowd fairly chortled when they realised what had occurred, and their smiles broadened when Jones saved the penalty in capital style, knock- ing down the shot put in by Huggins and kick- ing away colly. Th Milford men pressed again and a corner was forced on the right. The flag kick was nicely placed and an exciting scramble occured in the goal-mouth, during whih a penalty was awarded against Davidson. This was taken by Adams, and he made no mistake about it, bringing the scores level with a low shot into the corner of the net. Milford continued to attack and their opponents were soon hard pressed once more. From a long kick by Smith at back, the Milford left got going and A. Smith made an opening for Bert Davies, who gave his side the lead with a show, which Jones just touched, but failed to divert. Milford continued to have the better of the game, and their forwards combined very well, quite outclassing the Pembroke Dock halves. The Pembroke Dock forwards rarely got going, and the two outside men were both passengers, being fairly bottled up by Bough and Sanderson respectively. At the interval Milford were leading by 2-1. The second half was nearly all in Milford's favour, and they attacked briskly as soon as the leather was in motion. A corner was forced off Miller and there was some exciting play in front of the Pembroke Dock goal. Several good chances were missed through erratic shooting, but Jones frequently had to handle, and he gave a very good exhibition. The Milford halves, however, fed the forwards well, and the backs came almost up to the half line, and frequently dropped the ball in front of goal. It was from one of these kicks that the thiid goal came. Smith tried a long shot, and Miller got his head to it, but the ball rose in the air and dropped in front of goal. Huggins beat Jones in the scramble and headed over the custodian's head into the net. Milford pressed again and from a corner were again dangerous. Adams eventually beat Jones from close quarters, but this was given offside. Pem- broke Dock then went away and forced a corner. This was cleared, but Nott broke away again and another corner followed, but proved fruitless. Then Shepherd cleared and Bert Davies sent over at the other end. Shears re- turned and centred nicely, xbut Smith cleared in fine style. Huggins led an attack to the other end, but Berry broke it up nicely, and a rush by Nott resulted in a corner at the other end. A scramble followed, in the course of which a penalty was given against Shepherd. Onslow took the kick and sent in a hard drive. but Frise dashing across the goal made a sensational save at the expense of a corner. Milford attacked once more, and Huggins as the result of an encounter with Miller had to take a temporary rest, but soon got up again. A little later Huggins came through the opposing defence with the ball at his toes and passed to Adams, who banged in number four in no uncertain goal. Milford kept up the pressure, but could not get through again, and the game ended with the scores:—Milford District, 4; Pembroke Dock District, 1. There was no doubt as to the superiority of the Milford team, and very likely this was due to the fact that eight of the men came from one club. The three Priory men, however, acquitted themselves very well. John at centre forward, played a capital game, Bert Davies played a clever game forward, and Shepherd at back, though very weak at first, improved as the game went on and kicked exceedingly well in the second half. The three Milford de- f were all good; in fact. the team had not a weak spot. The veteran Bough was the best half on the field and worked tirelessly. Of the forwards the two wingers were much in evidence as compared with their opponents, and the inside men combined well. The Pembroke Dock defence were sound, but the halves were very poor indeed, and so were the two w, 'ii-, forwards. Davidson was the only half worth his place, and he went off as the proceeded. Maples and Maddocks were both very disappointing, though the latter held some excuse, as he hurt his leg early in the same. Brown and Onslow were the best for- wards, but Nott improved towards the close of the game. As to the wingers, they both did very little, and appeared to be afraid of their opponents, when they should have trusted to their speed to carry them through. There is no doubt that if Parrott had been playing in the centre with Onslow at centre half, and the two Sileox's and Brown and Fowler on the wins, the Milford men would have had a very different opposition to meet.








[No title]