Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

19 articles on this Page



CURRENT SPORT. I LACROSSE. I NORTH BEAT SOUTH. One of the most exhilarating sporting events of the winter season was the twenty-fifth annual North v. South lacrosse match, which the North won, at Lord's, on Saturday, by eight goals to six. At times 'the 2000 tspectators were roused to a frenzy of excitement, and so hot was the pace that towards the finish several of the players were run almost to a standstill. Particularly was this the case on the Southern side, and it was by scoring four times in the last fifteen minutes that the Northerners proved successful. Considering that there was practically no respite except the half- time interval, they maintained the pace through two 45's in a wonderful manner. They have now gained twenty victories to the South's four. Ona game has been drawn. AMATEUR ATHLETICS. I The first instalment of the Amateur Athletic Association Championships for 1905 took place on Saturday at the Crystal Palace. The results were: Seven Miles Walking Championship (standard 58 minutes).—G. E. Larner (Brighton), 1; F. B. Thompson (L.A.C.), 2; W. Mart i n d ale (Polytechnic H.), 3; G. W. Lansley (Finchley H.), 4. Larner, the holder, led at the end of the first mile, time, 7min. 7 l-5sec., with Martin- dale second. At four miles, time, 29min. 22 2-5sec., Larner was two-thirds of a lap in front of Thomp- son. The leader subsequently seemed rather in difficulties until the last mile, when he recovered, ,and finally won by a lap and 15 yards. Time, 52 min. 34sec., only 9sec. outside the championship record. Thompson's time was 54min. 29see., and Martindale's 54min. 47see. Ten Miles Running Championship (standard 58min. 30sec.) (holder, A. Shrubb).—A. Aldridge (Highgate H.), 1; E. Gardner (Brighton), 2; J. E. Deakiu (Herne Hill H.), 3 F. H. Hulford (Herne Hill H.), 4. A. S. D. Smith (Cambridge University) led for nearly three laps, when Aldridge, followed by Gardner, went to the front, Aldridge finishing his first mile in 4min. 47see. and his second in 9min. 54 4-5sec. At three miles, time, 15min., Aldridge began to leave Gardner. At eight miles Aldridge (time, 41min. 19 l-5sec.) had lapped all his opponents except Gardner and Deakin, and he passed them two laps further on. Running very fast in the last mile Aldridge won by a lap all but a yard from Gardner in 51min. 49see. Gardner's time was 53min. 12 l-5sec., Deakin's 53min. 14 l-5sec., and Hulford's 54min. 17sec. Nineteen men finished inside 58min. CROSS-COUNTRY. NORTH-EASTERN COUNTIES CHAMPIONSHIPS. At Bishop Auckland on Saturday the senior and junior championships of the north-eastern counties were decided. The senior event was decided over an eight miles course, and was won by the Darling- ton Harriers with 36 points. The Heaton Harriers were second with 42. The individual winner was Butterfield, a member of the victorious club. Middlesbrough won the junior club event, with Gateshead Congers second. Hodgson, of the Darlington Harriers, was first man home, with Allinson, of the Gateshead Congers, second. HOCKEY. At Dublin, on Saturday, the match between teams of ladies, representing Ireland and Scot- land, ended in a win for the visitors by four goals land, ended in a win for the visitors by four goals to three. RUGBY FOOTBALL. THE KENT COUNTY CUP. I The final tie was won on Saturday, at the Rectory Field, by Catford Bridge, who beat Royal Naval College, the holders, by two goals to one try. THE SURREY COUNTY CUP. The final tie in the competition for the Surrey County Cup, which was decided at Sutton on Saturday, ended in a win for the Old Whit- giftians, who beat the Customs Sports by three goals and two tries to one try. CLUB GAMES. Swansea beat Gloucester, at Swansea, by one dropped goal to nothing. Cardiff beat Leicester, at Cardiff, by two tries to nothing. Devonport Albion beat Newport, at Devonport, by one dropped goal to nothing. Bath beat Exeter, at Bath, by one dropped goal and four tries to a try. Cheltenham beat Old Edwardians, at Cheltenham, by two goals and two tries to a try. Bristol beat London Welsh, at Bristol, by one penalty goal and three tries to two tries. Northampton beat Bed- ford, at Bedford, by one goal and four tries to one try. UNDER ASSOCIATION RULES. IRELAND V. WALES. This match was played on the ground of the Cliftonville Club, Belfast, on Saturday. Every- thing pointed to the probability of a victory for Ireland, who ndt only enjoyed the' advantage of playing at home, but were almost at full strength, and had beaten Wales in the encounters of the three previous years. Moreover, although Wales could claim to have beaten Scotland this year and had acquitted themselves creditably against Eng- land, they were compelled on Saturday to take the field without L. R. Roose, Meredith, A. G. Morris, or Parry, the first three of whom are admittedly among the foremost players of the day. Wales, however, succeeded in drawing the match at two goals all. On the general run of the play the visitors were perhaps rather fortunate not to be beaten. Still they contested the game with great dash, and were never behind on the score. The football did not reach a very high standard, the players being at a disadvantage owing to the rather heavy state of the ground and to a fresh breeze which prevailed. The match was the 24th between the two countries, the record now stand- ing :—Wales 11 wins, Ireland nine wins, and foui drawn games. THE FIRST LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP. The results of Saturday's games were: New- castle United beat Notts Forest, at Newcastle, by five goals to one; Manchester City beat Woolwich Arsenal, at Manchester, by one goal to none; Wolverhampton Wanderers beat'Bury, at Wolver- hampton, by two goals to none; Middlesbrough beat Aston Villa, at Middlesbrough, by three goals to one; Sheffield United beat Sheffield Wednesday, at Sheffield, by four goals to two; Small Heath beat Derby County, at Small Heath, by two goals to none; Notts County and Sunderland drew, at Nottingham, two goals all; Stoke and Everton drew, at Stoke, two goals all; Preston North End and Blackburn Rovers drew, at Preston, neither side having scored. LEAGUE.—DIVISION II. Liverpool v. Burslem Port Vale: At home, Liverpool won easily by eight goals to one. Gains- borough Trinity v. Manchester United This match, at Gainsborough, ended in a draw, nothing being scored. Doncaster Rovers v. Glossop: On their own ground, the Rovers won by two goals to ?ne- Burnley v. Lincoln City: Burnley won at °nae by two goals to one. Burton United v. coni*"0* ^jty • Burton, the United won by two Foss n^' West Bromwich Albion v. Leicester f:. Played at West Bromwich, this match Black ln a v*ctory for the Albion by two goals to nil. pool re°0liV" Chesterfield: This match, at Black- Town v d in a draw of one goal each. Grimsby ford CITWradford City Visiting Grimsby, Brad- y Won by two goals to nil. Tho ,TttBBN LEiOTE- Tiea&ue onV? °'t*10 matches in the Southern if Ho ™ Sb"«'1«Jworo: R,, ii„g beat Brighton, Afgyle beat NortK g°al to "one; PJJ'mouth two goals to none Sptof,'u7 at Millwall, by se^i ™U, f Welhngborough, TTnfsnur beat New Tt goala 10 one 5 Tottenham ? «S £ ^m^-?ro.mPton> Tottenham, by twcrgoalato none Portsmouth beat Watford, at Portsmouth by one goal to none. Queen>s P'ark Kangers and Southampton drew, at Park Royal, 8™1 a11'^ers and West Ham United drew, at Bristol, two goals all; Brentford and Fulham drew, at Brentford, one goal all. THE ARTHUR DUNN MEMORIAL CUP. The Old Carthusians (holders) won the final tie 4)f the Arthur Dunn Memorial Cup. at Queen's Club, West Kensington, on Saturday, beating the Old Reptonians by two goals to none. THE AMATEUR CUP. West Hartlepool beat Clapton by three goals to two in the final tie of the Amateur Cup at Shepherd's-bush on Saturday. With the ground very dry and a fresh wind blowing, the light ball was difficult to control, while a dazzling sun further handicapped the players. Clapton seemed most troubled by the conditions, and only when three goals had been obtained against them did they play in a manner worthy of their reputation. Slow and hesitating, they were often robbed of the ball by their opponents, and the superiority asserted during the last part of the game came too late to make up for their weak play at the start. THE SCOTTISH CUP. The final tie of the competition for the Scottish Cup, between Third Lanark and Glasgow Rangers, was played at Glasgow on Saturday. The match ended in a draw, neither side having scored. MONDAY'S FOOTBALL. At Preston, in the Association First League, the North End club beat Stoke by two goals to one. Three matches were played on Monday in the Western League as follows: Tottenham Hotspur v. Brentford.—Neither side could score at Tottenham, and the result was a draw. Queen's Park Rangers v. Bristol Rovers.—Visit- ing Park Royal, the Bristol Rovers defeated Queen's Park Rangers by two goals to nil. Fulham v. Reading.—At Fulham, Fulham won by three goals to two. Playing at Southampton in the Southern League, Plymouth Argyle gained a rather surprising victory over the home side by three goals to none. Under Rugby rules, in Division 1. of the Northern Union, at Hull, Kingston Rovers were beaten by Bradford by 11 points to 5. Warrington beat the home side at Widnes by 12 points to G. Plymouth beat Newport in a "Rugger" club match at Plymouth by 14 points to 3.






[No title]




[No title]

Imperial Parliament.