Hide Articles List

26 articles on this Page




RAGLAN. PETTY SESSIONS, SATURDAY. j Before S. C. BOSANQUET, E*q. (chairman), and Sir JOHN H. SBALB, Bart. EXTENSION.—Mrs Williams, of the Red Lion Inn, Bryngwyn, applied for two hours' extension on the 26th June. She explained that after the parish Coronation celebration, the young people were anxious to have a dance.—After some consideration, the application was granted. VACCINATION.—John Morgan, mason, Bryngwyn, applied for a vaccination exemption certificate in respect of his boy, Hector, born on the 22nd March. In reply to the Magistrates' Clerk (Mr Vizard) applicant said his reason was that the last child he had vaccinated gave great trouble. It was fix months before the marks healed up. it was 18 months before the child got rid of them, and every Spring a rash broke out upon him. That child was healthy before, and so was the one now in respect of whom the present application was made. Dr Elmes Steel said thefirst-inentioned one was the healthiest child in the room when be w,-i,i taken to be vaccinated. His little ears almost dropped off afterwards, and anyone who saw him would agree that vaccination was injurious. He conscientiously believed that vaccination would be injurious to the health of this child.—The (*hairinaii You would run the risk of small-pox for your child and also the risk of other people catching it.-In reply to other questions, applicant said he had seven children. The last one was not vaccinated. Five had been vaccinated, and there was nothing the matter with them. A doctot living in Frogmore-street, Abergavenny—he forgot his name—told him that vaccination was responsible for the state of the child he had referred to.—In the result, the certificate was granted. THB DOG LIVKD.—George Thomas Williams, draper, Raglan, was summoned for keeping a dog without a licence.—In this and the following cases of a similar character, Supervisor E. Owen, Monmouth, represented the Excise authorities. and Excise Officer Painter Rave evidence.—In this case it appeared that defendant had two dogs, but only one licence. The excuse for not taking out a second licence was that the old dog was ill, and he expected it to die. The licence was four months overdue, however. He had not accepted the offer of the Excise Commissioners to compromise the matter by paying a fine of 5s.-Defendaut said that he was waiting for the Excise Officer to call for the money.—The Supervisor: You could not expect him to come eight miles for 5s, when you could easily send it by Postal Order.—Defendant further remarked that he was expecting the old dog to die; he was persuaded to destroy it.—The Chairman If you had done that you would have been all right.—Defendant said that now he had but one dog, having parted with the other at Whitsuntide.—Ordered to pay 12s 6d, including the licence, and 48 6d costs. SUCCESSFUL DEFBNca.Mary Morgan, widow, Raglan, was summoned for keeping a dog without a licence on the 14th April.—Defendant said the dog was not hers.—Officer Painter stated that on the date named he saw an Irish terrier on defendant's premises. He asked her if she bad a licence for it, and she replied that she had not, and that the dog did not belong to her, but to a man named Pritchard, who lived in Hereford. Inquiries were made in Hereford by the Excise authorities, and Pritchard there denied all responsibility con- cerning the animal. As defendant was keeping the dog she wt-s liable for the licence. Witness asked her how long she had kept the dog, and she ssid since last Autumn. Mrs Morgan had, he believed, taken out a licence, since the date mentioned in the summons.—Defendant said David Pritchard wis a lodger—he had stopped at her house off and on. When he left last October he asked her to keep the dog until be returned, and promised to pay her for it. She found the dog licence (produced) in the house after Pritchard left. [The licence was granted to Pritchard at Raglan on the 15th March, 1901]. She had a little girl under her care who recently wrote to her father and got the money for a licence for the dog, as she did not like to part with it, and witness had been advised to destroy it.—The Chairman said that apparently there had been a misapprehension, and defendant was not at fault. Under the circumstances, therefore, the case would be dismissed. MUST PAY.—John Hall, labourer, Raglan, was similarly summoned, but did not appear, and P.S. Keylock proved the service of the summons.—Mr Painter said he saw a small terrier dog on defendant's premises on the 14th April, and he asked defendant if he had a licence for it. He replied that he had not, but that he would take one out later on. He said that the dog had been on the premises some time, and that Mr Williams, of Raglan, had taken out a licence for it in the previous year. Witness pointed out to him that he was responsible for it now as he had it on his premises. No licence had been taken out up to the present time.—P.S. Keylock remarked that defendant kept the dog for about a week after, and then let the grocer have it.-Fined 10. and costs, 4s 6d; 14 days' hard labour in default. KEPT A GREYHOUND.—William Hanner. labourer, Penyclawydd, did not appear to answer another similar charge, and P.S. Keylock proved service of summons and also gave the facts of the case. He saw defendant in the village on the 14th April with a greyhound, for which he admitted he had no licence, but promised to take one out the next week. Defendant had had the dog since the end of last year, and had previously been spoken to on the subject. A licence had since been taken out.- Fined 5s and 41 6d coats. CHARITY REQUIRED?—Sarah Powell, Raglan, was summoned for non-compliance with a school attendance order, dated 29th March, by which her son Sydney was ordered to attend Raglan school and further similarly with regard to her son Walter.—Defendant did not appear, and P.C. W. H, Snell proved service of summons.- Attendance Officer W. E. H. Ransome stated that defendant had been living in the Raglan district about twelve months, and the authorities could not get the boys to school at all. They had not attended once since the order was made.—P.S. Keylock stated that defendant appeared to be very badly off, and her excuse for not sending the children to school was that she had no boots for them.—Fined 5s in each case to be paid in two fortnightly instalments. FURIOUS RIDING.—John Jones, labourer, Clytha, was summoned for riding a horse furiously on the highway at Llanartb, on the 14th May.—He pleaded guilty.-P.C. Thomas said that at about 8 p.m. on the day named he saw defendant riding a mare, coming from the direction of Abergavenny. He was going at full gallop, and said to the animal, "Go on, old girl." It was Abergavenny Fair Day. and there were several people on the road. Witness called to him, and he pulled up. His excuse was that he could not stop the mare. Fined 2a 6d and lOa coats (including a witness in addition to the constable). FUKIOUS DRIVING.—James Pritchard, labourer, Bryngwyn, was summoned for driving a pony and trap furiously on the highway at Raglan, on the 2nd May.—He handed in a medical certificate shewing that Mr Harry Smith, vet., a witness, was unable to attend in consequence of having met with a serious bicycle accident.—P.S. Keylock stated that at 5.55 p.m. all the day named he saw the defendant driving a pony and trap in the village. The pony wanted to turn in under an archway opposite the Police Station, and defendant turned it right round, and gave it a cut with the whip. Smith, who was in the trap with defendant, told him to "let him have it." Defendant then cut the pony again, and they went thiough the village and up the Monmonth-road as far an Mr Somerset's as fast as the pony could gallop. They returned quietly.—Thomas G. Williams, draper, Raglan, corroborated.—Fined 7a.—Defendant asked for time to pay as he had had a good bit of trouble lately and now had a bad hand which prevented his working. A STUAYING Cow.-Edward Griffiths, labourer, Treworgau, was summoned for allowing a cow to stray on the highway, at Raglan, on the 28th April.—P.S. Keylock stated that at 10.30 on the day in question he found defendant's cow straying on the road some distance from Treworgan Common, and was taking it home when he met Mrs Griffiths coming to look for it. Defendant had been several times cautioned since having been previously summ(ined.-Fiiied 5s inclusive. Nor PROVED. -Charles Burton, 65, a gipsy, was charged with maliciously damaging a bicycle at Llandenuy. on the 5th May.—George Williams, a young blacksmith, of the Little Warrage, Tregare, stated that he was the owner of a bicycle, and on the 5th May last he was riding home from Llangovan at ten o'clock at night when he saw a couple of horses loose by Treworgan Common. He passed them all right and then saw defendant, who, just as he was about to pass, wilfully put his foot through the front wheel of the bicycle, throwing him off and damaging the machine. Defendant used a lot of foul language, and said prosecutor had run into him.—By Superintendent Parker: I had a light; it was from the light of the lamp that I saw defendaut. I did not see him until I was opposite b i rn. -Prosecutor handed in an estimate of the damage done to the machine, viz. 15s, and said he bad also lost a day's work. Burtou said he had broken his leg and cut his boot. Witness went on to Raglan and met P.S. Keylock, and together they went down to see defendant the next day.—In cross-examination, prosecutor denied that defendant was holding the horsea and that he ran illto them and upset Burton. Witness had successfully passed the horses, and defendant deliberately put his foot into the machine. He had a light.-Deteildatit said if the Lord were to strike him dead prosecutor ran into the mares when he was going to fetter them and he was upset.—Iu reply to further question?, prosecutor said two women came down with a candle, and a woman picked the bicycle up. His light was extinguished when he was brought off the machine. He found it impossible to ride the machine after trying to do so, and had to walk into Raglan, where the Church clock struck eleven when be was telling P.S. Keylock about the matter.—The Chairman At what rate where you riding when on the Common ?—Prosecutor About eight miles an hour I should think.-Defendant was then sworn, and stated that it was nearly 11 o'clock, and when be was about to fetter his two young mares on the Common, prosecutor came up on his machine and ran into the rear of the animals. They bolted and upset him. He thought his leg was broken. Proseeuter had no light, and his bicycle was on the Common. A man of his (defendant's) age would not think of doing such a thing as putting his foot deliberately through a machine. The bicycle had cut one of the animals. Sena Burton, defendant's daughter, said that while she was gathering up the things by the light of a candle, previous to goiug to bed, she heard some one cry out, Oh, dear, my leg's broken." She went out and found her father rubbing his leg, while prosecutor, who was there said he had run into the horses. The bike" was -on the ground by the side of the Common. Her father told he: that the horses had run away. Prosecutor lit his lamp, got on the bicycle, and rode away.- P.S. Keylock stated that prosecutor complained to him about 11 o'clock the same night. Several spokes of the front wheel of the bicycle were broken as well as a pedal. He went with Williams to see Burton on the Common the next day, but Burton had then left. They 8ubieqtietitly met him on the Chepstow-road, and complained to him about the matter. Defendant got very excited aud called Williams a young liar. He said that Williams ran into his horses, but he did not then complain of any damage being done to them. When, however, defendant was served with the summons, he pointed out a mark about the size of a threepenny bit on the inside of the hind leg of one of the horses, which he said was done by the bicycle.—In the result the Chairman said the Bench were not quite satisfied that the charge was proved, and they must dismiss the case. DRUNK ON LICENSED PREMISES. Frederick Jones, labourer, Clytha, was summoned for beiu» drunk on the licensed premises of the Swan 1111°, Llanartb, on the 14th May.—Defendaut said he' was not very druuk.—P.C. Henry Thomas, stationed at Llanarth, stated that at about 8 p.m., on the day in question he visited the Swan, and saw defendant sitting in a settle in the kitchen, very drunk, leaning on the table, and with his head resting on his left hand. Witness told him he was drunk, and that he should report him. He replied, It's all right." Mr Walters, the landlord, afterwards came in and ordered Jones out. Jones got up and staggered to the front door. He said to witness You won't prosecute this time will you? It's Fair Day to-day." Defendant staggered across the road, and pro- ceeded some distance towards Clytha. Then he fell into the hedge and remained there a little time. He afterwards got up and staggered back to the Swan again. The landlord stopped him going in and ordered him away. He went off, and witness did not see him after. When he saw defendant in the Swan there was a pint cup con- taining beer near Jones, but it was claimed by a man named Powell. The landlord said he had ordered Jones away several times that day.- Fined 4s 6d. THE SEQUEL.—John Walters, the landlord of the Swan Inn, was summoned for permitting drunken. ness.-P.C. Thomas gave evidence similar to that in the previous case, with additions. He stated that on entering the Swan Mrs Walters was standing in the bar. and he told her that Jones was drunk, and asked her if she had supplied him with any beer. She replied It is not for what he has bad here to-day. I refused him at 11 o'clock this morning. I have ordered him away several times since." The landlord then came to the front door, and witness told him that there was a drunken man in his house. He asked who he was, and witness told him and asked him to "o in and see for himself. Walters then said the "same as his wife-that it was not for what Jones had had there, that he had been refused drink at 11 o'clock that morning, and that he had ordered him away several times since. Witness told him that he saw Jones on the premiees between 5 and 6 p.m that day, that he was then (at 8 p.m.) drunk, and that he should report it. Walters replied that he could not stop a man going into the house.—Defend-int admitted the correctness of the evidence, but said Jones was away three or four hours during the day, and then came back. He put him out and told him he would not supply him. He put him out half-a-dozen times, and told him to got off home. but he would return. When P.C. Thomas visited the house, he (defendant) bad been away five or six minutes, and Jones had just returned again. He was busy. as. being Abergavenny Fair Day, there wero a lot of callers on the road.—Evidence was called for the defence to shew that the landlord had, earlier In the day, refused to supply Jones.—Superintendent Parker said the landlord should have called in the constable, and have got rid of .Tones.-The Chairman said they must convict. The landlord may have turned Jones out from time to time, but he did not take all the steps he may have done to get rid of hitu.-Fined 10.. and 4:1 6d costs.



-The Explorations at Cacrwcni.…

Markets. I


[No title]


Pretoria and Peace.

.Mr. and Mrs. Steyn.

Congratulations to Kitchener.

c King Leaves for Epsom.

India and Bounty-fed Siagar.…

A Soldier's Suicide.

The Steamship Combination.


[No title]



The Array Thanked by Lords…


--Town Burned Down.

Mr. Lynch, M.P. (?)