Hide Articles List

13 articles on this Page



[No title]




EMINENT SURGEON'S SAD DEATH- At the Westminster Coroner s-court on Satur- day Mr. John Troutbeck held an inquiry with reference to the death of Mr. Thomas Bond, who committed suicide on Thursday morning by throw- 'ng himself from a window at his residence, 7, The ""anctuary, Westminster Abbey. Dr. John Norton, of Queen Anne's-gate, S.W., gave formal evidence of identification, and said that Mr. Bond was 59 years of age. He was an F.R.C.S., M.B., and B.Sc. The witness had long been associated with him in his work. Of late years his health had been indifferent, and he suffered fearful pain, in consequence of which he took a good deal of morphia, under medical advice. That had the effect of rendering him very emotional, and he had said, "I am sure I shall jump out of window or blow my brains out." He was only allowed to have morphia at certain inter- vals, and when its influence went off the pain would return and continue until the time came for another dose. The habit of taking morphia would have a distinct influence on his will-power and sanity. Generally speaking, he was a most strong-minded man and very cour- ageous. He had been taking morphia since last August, and had been in one or two surgical homes. At one time he was under a very kind nurse, who, however, tried to persuade him to give up the morphia, and he took a great dislike to her, so that she had to leave. There was no immediate danger from his illness, but it must eventually have killed him. He had septicoemia with internal growths, the like of which one would not see again in a lifetime. Kate Truncheon, a nurse attached to the West- minster Nursing Home, said that she was in attendance upon Mr. Bond on Wednesday night of last week. He was very quiet during the night, but did not sleep. At eleven p.m. he complained of very great pain, and had a grain of morphia given him. He was then perfectly quiet until 3.15 a.m., when he had a drink of milk. After that he settled down again until four o'clock, when he was rather restless and turned about for half an hour, when he had more milk. Then he was very weak, and remarked that he had been in great pain and had not slept at all. At six o'clock the witness made him a cup of tea, and he was sick and went into a violent perspira- tion. The witness remarked upon this and also spoke about a nurse. He answered quite sensibly, and seemed to take an interest in what she said. After that he was again sick, but seemed to lie quite quiet. The witness wiped his face, and asked him if he felt more comfortable. He replied that he felt better and turned over, apparently to go to sleep. The witness made another remark, and he said he thought he would wait a little while, at the same time closing his eyes and to all appearances going soundly to sleep. The witness sat reading a book for ten minutes, and then left the room to empty a basin. She had been absent scarcely a minute when she heard the rustling of a blind. Rushing up to the bedroom she was just in time to see the patient's feet leav- ing the open window. Mr. Bond had removed a heavy marble-topped dressing-table, just leaving room for him to get to the window, which was on the third floor. She had tucked him up before leaving the room. The morphia he took at eleven o'clock would affect him for about five hours. When he perspired his head was always better. The witness was aware he had told others that he would kill himself. She had left the bedroom door wide open, and left the rocm very softly. Thomas Goldsmith, a lift porter at Westminster Hospital, said that he was going on duty at 6.45 a.m., when he saw what he took to be a bundle of clothes thrown from the upper part of Mr. Bond's house. Then, hearing a shriek, he thought there was a fire, but on looking down the area he saw Mr. Bond lying there with his head close to the wall. He was only just breathing, and died in the area. The witness placed him in a blanket, and, with assistance, carried him into the hospital opposite. He did not know where the shriek came from. Police-constable Brewer, 398A, said the window was 45ft. from the ground. Mr. Alfred Reginald Roach, house physician at Westminster Hospital, said that Mr. Bond was dead when admitted. In summing up, the Coroner said that it was to him a very painful duty to be called upon to hold an inquest on one of the oldest friends he had in the world. He had known Mr. Bond for 30 years, and it was a great grief to him to have to hold an inquest upon him. All who knew Mr. Bond knew that he was one of the best-known men in West- minster, and if he had any characteristic that was specially noted by all it would be his great courage and determination. The jury returned a verdict "That Mr. Bond committed suicide whilst temporarily insane."





[No title]



[No title]