Hide Articles List

24 articles on this Page









DEATH OF MR. W. SANDBROOK. I On the morning of the 29th May, Mr. William I Sandbrook passed away at 'I he Green way, Gnffithetown. Mr. Sandbrook was formerly one of the most active and valuable workers in the social, political, aud religious life of the district Until about two years ago he was one of the foremost townsmen of Pontypool. Then, through iIluetls he was obliged to relinquish his business, which was turned into the limited liability company of Messrs. Sandbrook and Dawe, and he retired to live at Griffithstown. On the Sunday previous to his death, on returning from a drive, he became very ill, and Dr. O'Keefe was sent for. This gentleman arrived at about ten o'clock, and found that effusion of the brain had set in, con- sequent upon an attack of paralysis, which had taken place some months before. Mr. Sandbrook never regained consciousness and passed away on Wednesday mouiing, at the age of 65 years. The deceased gentleman was a native of Pembrokeshire but came to Pontypool about 40 years ago, as all assistant to Messrs. Davies and Sous, iroumouger. By his industry, talent, and perseverance, he made himself so indispensable to his employers that he was admitted into partnership, and afterwards took over the whole business, which, in his hands prospered exceedingly. The number of public appointments which were urged upon him were very numerous, and to these he applied the eame talents and industry which had made him so successful in business. He was a member and chairman of the old Pontypool Local Board for many years, and continued to represent the town in this capacity after the formation of the District Council, until his failing health compelled him to relinquish these and other duties. He was also a member of the County Council and of the Technical Instruction Committee for several years, and was also a member of the Panteg District Council. He was a faithful member of the Mount Pleasant Congregational Church, and an ardent Liberal in politics. The funeral took place at Pontypool on Monday. The cortege started from the residence of the deceased at Griffithstown to Mount Pleasant Chapel, Pontypool, where a service was conducted by the Revs. D. J. Nichols, J. Ll. Jones, J. W. Skinner, and J. Thomas. The burial took place at Trevethin Churchyard, where a service was conducted by the Revs. D. J. Nicholas and J. W. Skinner. The Masonic burial service was also read by the Rev. J. E. Dunn (St. Hilda's). There was a large attendance of friends, clergy, &c., including representatives of the various public bodies in the district and the Kennard Lodge of Freemasons. DEATH O? THE REV. H. B. ROBINSON. [ The death of the Rev. H. B, Robinson, F.R.G.S. and F.S.S.L.A., took place at Carlton House, Pontypool, after a long and painful iilness, on Monday afternoon. Deceased who had for the past twelve years been pastor of the Tabernacle Baptist Chapel, was a member of the Trevethin School Board, and held several public appointments Just previous to his death he had been made the reeipiunt of an illuminated address and a purse of gold con- taining £ 84. It was about six month s ago that the deceased gentleman was taken ill with what was first of all thought to be indigestion, but this rapidly developed into a serious and painful disease of the digestive organs. In spite of his suffering, Mr Robinson, upheld by that marvellous energy which WHS one of his greatest characteristics, still insisted upon pursuing his work until about three mouths ago, w hen the disease became very acute. He was first attended by Dr Haslett, and afterwards journeyed to London to see a specialist, but in spite of all the efforts made to check the disease it made rapid head way. During last week he made one of those temporary rallies which from time to time upheld and cheered the hopes of his relatives and friends, but on Saturday he lost consciousness, and remained in this condition until his death. Mr Robinson, who was born at Huntingdon, cams to the town io September, 1889, from a church fit Kettering, and immediately began to make for him- self a warm place in the hearts of his people. Tabernacle Baptist Chapel was then in not the most flourishing condition, but Mr liobinson, by his eloquence, geuius, and unlimited capacity for work, soon succeeded in attracting large cougre gations and in establishing a strong Chapel. At the time of his advent to the town, the Literary Institute was in an almost expiring con- dition, but when Mr Robinson took over the secretaryship, about the year 1890, an immediate improvement became evident. For many years he worked assiduously for the Institute, and gave several lectures for the purpose of raising funds to buy books, &c and in addition insisted upon giving his services as secretary. Ultimately, the Chamber of Trade came forward with an offer of £ 2<10 to pro- vide better accommodation, and with the co-operation of the District Council, Mr Robinson's work, as regards the Institute, was crowned by its being established in large and commodious premises in the Market Arcade. Here, still owing to Mr Robinson's self-devotion to the work, the Institute made marvellous progress, and is to-day upon a firmer footing than during its whole existence. On the day of his death Mr Robinson was elected for the third time a member of tho Trevetbin School Board, having served upon this body for a period of six years.




Ordinations at Uandaff.

Judge Owen Compliments a Bankrupt.

The Sengenydd Disaster.

I Active Service Company of…



Strength of the Volunteer…

Moiiiiiojithsliire Mme Flooded.



1-S. and S.F.A.