Hide Articles List

17 articles on this Page




IMarkets. I

A Most Delicious Summer Beverage.

Moiunoutlishire'Quartcr Sessions.


Moiunoutlishire'Quartcr Sessions. The Midsummer Quarter Sessions of the Peace for the County of Monmouth was held at the Sessions House, Usk, on Wednes- day, before S. C. Bosanquet, Esq. (chairman), Sir H. M. Jackson, Bart. (vice-chairman), Gen. Gillespie, Col. Hair, Col. Mansel, H. Hum- phreys, Esq., J. O. Marsh, Esq., W. Llewellin, Esq., Geo. Dewdney, Esq., R. Laybourne, Esq., and H. Hey wood, Esq. I THE GRAND JURY. The following gentlemen were sworn on the grand jury :—Arthur Lee Pope (Caerlcon), foreman Alfred Henry Bailey, James Break- well, Griffiths Davies, William Evans, John Ferny though, G. H. Fothergill, Edward G. Gabb, Arthur Green, William Harris, William Hughes (Monmouth), William Hughes (Rhym- ney), Arthur Thos. Wm. James, Francis James, Evan Jones, Thomas Jones, William Lawrence, L. Lewis, F. G. Lovell, W. Rees, J. Rosser, and William B. Seymour. CHAIRMAN'S ADDRESS. I The Chairman, in addressing the Grand Jury, said the calendar was somewhat larger than they had had to deal with at the last few sessions, but it was about the average. He thought none of the cases need give much trouble. After instructing the jury in the usual method of procedure, the Chairman re- capitulated the various cases, referring to the charge of intimidation against Charles Jones as a rather unusual one. The charge, he said, was that Jones followed complainant about during the Newport building industry strike, and so intimi- dated him, in order to prevent him doing his work. He thought in this case the jury would experience no difficulty in finding sufficient evidence to send the prisoner for trial. NEW PRISON REGULATIONS. I The Chairman read a circular from the Secretary of State for the Home Department concerning the new prison regulations, which he explained provided for the separation and better treatment of prisoners who were not of a criminal class. I CONDOLENCES. I THE LATE DUKE OF BEAUFORT. I The Chairman, referring to the death of the late Duke of Beaufort, said the county had sus- tained a severe loss in the death of the Lord Lieutenant, who held that post for 32 years. He moved a vote of condolence and sympathy with the Duchess of Beaufort and family. The great interest, he said, the late nobleman took in all the affairs of"tlie county was so well- known that there was no need for him to men- tion it. Sir H. M. Jackson seconded, and suggested that in consideration of the late Duke's great services to the county, a memento, in the shape of a portrait of his Grace, should be hung on the walls of the court, if a copy could be ob- tained, to remind them of him in years to come. THE LATE MR. DANIELLS. I The Chairman also expressed regret at the very sad and unexpected death of the late Mr. N. Daniells, barrister, who, he said, had earned the respect of the court by the gentlemanly way in which he conducted his business. Mr. Marchant, as leader of the bar, paid a similar tribute to the deceased barrister's memory. COAL STRIKE SEQUEL. I An application for special costs in the case of the Bedwellty Union versus the Ebbw Vale Co. for payment of rates levied for the purpose of relieving the distress caused by the coal strike, was not allowed. AN APPOINTMENT. I Sir H. M. Jackson proposed, and it was de- cided to appoint Mr. S. C. Bosanquet as the justice of the peace representing the Quarter Sessions and the Standing Joint Committee of the County Council, in place of the late Duke of Beaufort. TRIALS OF PRISONERS. I FIRST COURT.—Before the Chairman (S. C. BOSANQUET, Esq,), and other Magistrates. THE RAGLAN CASE. I Arthur Jenkins, 20, labourer, pleaded guilty to the charge of breaking into and entering the dwelling-house of William Hobbs, of Raglan, and stealing X2 10s. Mr. S. C. R. Busanquet addressed the Bench in mitigation of punishment, saying that the prosecutor did not wish to press the case. The Chairman, addressing prisoner, said the Court were disposed to deal leniently with him, and he would be bound over to come up for judgment if called upon. INTIMIDATION—HEAVY FINE. I Charles Jones, plasterer, aged 45, of Newport, was indicted that he did, on the 20th April, 1899, at the County Borough of Newport, with a view to compel one John Bayliss to abstain from doing an act which he had a legal right to do, viz., to work for one Dyson Parfitt as a plasterer, unlawfully, wrongfully, and without legal authority persistently follow the said John Bayliss from place to place." There was also a second count in respect of the following day. A good deal of interest was taken in the case, a large number of men connected with the building trades at Newport having come by brake for the hearing. Prisoner pleaded not guilty to both counts. Mr. Corner appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. Lloyd Morgan, M.P., and Mr. Marchant represented the prisoner. In opening the case for the prosecution, Mr. Corner said the offence with which the defendant was charged was one which, if permitted to go unchecked, would strike at the root of law, order, and liberty. They had all heard of trades unions, .1 1 .1 11 I- and tney Knew tnai tney uvea in a tree country where, generally speaking, they could do as they liked, so long as they behaved themselves, and recognised the rights of their fellows. In 1875, Parliament came to the rescue of people who were interfered with by trade unionists or others, by enacting a law which made it a criminal offence to interfere with or molest any person wishing to follow his employment. Some time ago, the plasterers of the country were locked out, because the employers could not tolerate the unreasonable behaviour of the men. This affected, amongst others, Mr. Dyson Parfitt, of Newport, a contractor, who had some important works on hand. There was considerable delay in getting on with the work, and at length Mr. Parfitt engaged three non-union plasterers from another part of the country. On the first day these men were employed, the Newport Workhouse-whiah Mr. Parfitt was re-building—was picketted by no fewer than 32 plasterers, who wouldn't work themselves, and wanted to stop others from working. Wheu the non-union men left their work at the Workhouse on the 20th April, it was evident that they were to be subjected to interference by the men picketed, who were led by the defendant, Jones. The defendant had been a policeman, and had been pensioned. He appeared to live on his pension and what he got out of the working men, by stirring up strife between masters and men. When the Baylisses (the non-union men) left their work, they were followed by a crowd of about 150 people, led by the defendant. They were shouted and jeered at, and the men were naturally alarmed. They werb afraid to go to work, and Mr. Parfitt had to consult the police so that the men might work unmolested. On the 21st, the same thing happened again. Mr. Corner quoted the Act of Parliament, and impressed on the jury that if they were satisfied that the defendant had persistently followed the men they must find him guilty. John Bayliss, of Gloucestershire, said that he was a non-unionist slater and plasterer. On April 9th he arranged to go to Newport to work for Mr. Parfitt, and on the 19th went there with his two brothers. On the following morning he and his brothers went to the Workhouse at six o'clock to commence work, and they duly left in the evening. When they left they were accom- panied by some of Mr. Parfitt's staff and two policemen. Outside the works witness saw Jones, with a stick in his hand, and several men in groups. They all feil in behind witness and his companions, and marched behind him. Witness thought there were fifty men behind him at that time, but the crowd accumulated until they had 200 close behind them. Witness heard Black- legs" called, and someone said, "Rush them." Witness was frightened at the number of men following him. He thought 200 to 250 men followed him to his lodgings at Bailey-street. Next morning witness had to wait for his employer to go to work. A number of men were standing near the house while he left. Amongst them were the prisoner, and other Trades Unionists, altogether about 200 in number. In the afternoon witness went to the office of Mr. Lyndon Moore, solicitor. Newport, and after he had left a crowd followed him to his lodgings, Jones was again present, walking in front. The crowd was shouting Hurrah and calling names. Witness eventually left his employment, but not because his wife feared violence to him. He had since been working in Worcester. Joseph Dysim Parfitt, contractor for the building of the new Workhouse at Newport, deposed that for some time past there had been disputes between the builders and plasterers. The contract was a big one, the price being £ 30,000. In consequence of the plasterers refusing to work, he engaged the Baylisses to do the plastering. On the first evening, after John Bayliss left work, witness accompanied him, with his manager and clerk, two constables, and another official. Jones was outside in the road, together with a crowd of men. Bayliss proceeded to his lodgings, followed by a crowd of 200. including the prisoner. When they got to Bayliss's lodgings the crowd surged around the door. On the following day witness went with John Bayliss to Mr. Moore's office. There was a crowd outside with Jones in the centre. Bayliss wanted to go back into the office, but witness eventually proceeded with him to his lodgings, the crowd numbering two or three hundred. There were shouts of "Blacklegs," "Robbers," "Go back to Gloucester," &c. Witness spoke to Jones, asking him why he persistently followed him, and Jones replied he was not. "Well, then," said witness, "you're following someone with me," to which Jones made answer, I- What's that to do with you, you've not bought the street," and made a remark that he would make things hot for witness if he endeavoured to get municipal honours. The jury returned a verdict of guilty, with a recommendation to leniency on account of good character. Sentence was deferred, as there was a question as to the costs of the prosecution, which could not be paid out of the county funds. Subsequently, the Court fined defendant £20, each side to pay its own costs. SHOP-BREAKING AT ABERGAVENNY. George Brown, 23, clerk, was indicted for breaking into the shop of Jones Bros., Aber- gavenny, on the 23rd April last, and stealing therefrom iOlbs. of pork, and 71bs. of mutton. Prisoner was sentenced to six weeks imprisonment with hard labour. Robert Green, 24, engine cleaner, was also indicted in connection with the above, but the jury found no true bill. A PONTIFOOL CASE. Florence Lewis, 21, a servant, was charged with obtaining by false pretences from Margaret Cormack, of Pontypool, on the 16th May, one suit of clothes, value 27s., the property of Donald Cormack. A sentence of one month's imprisonment with hard labour was passed. ) A CASE FIWM AKEltSYCHAN. Joseph Lewis, 21, collier, was indicted for maliciously iuflictmg grievous bodily harm upon George Cox, in the parish of Abersychan, on the 22nd May last, and acquitted. LICENCE I-IOLDElt'S APPEAL. An appeal was heard against the conviction of Thomas John Davies, landlord of the Mechauics' Arms Beerhouse, Newport, by the borough magistrates on April 17th for selling, beer to a drunken person. Mr. Corner (instructed by fr. A. A. Newman, town-clerk of Newport), appeared on behalf of the police, and Mr. Lloyd Morgan, M.P., and Mr. Marchant (instructed by Mr. J. C. Llewellin) appeared for the appellant. Testimony tending to show that Ryan was only served with hop bitters was given, but the Court upheld the conviction. SECOND COURT.-Before Sir H. M. JACKSON, and other Magistrates. NEWPORT WOUNDING CASE. Cornelius Denning, or Deneen, scaffolder, of Newport, who was indicted for assaulting his wife by wounding her in the abdomen with a knife, pleaded guilty to a common assault. Taking into consideration the provocation prisoner had received, the Bench considered a senrence of seven days' imprisonment sufficient. FOUND NOT GUILTY. James Prosser, 29, collier, Abercarn, was under an indictment of obtaining by false pretences the sums of 8s. and X3 12s. from the New Era Assurance Corporation (Limited), for which he acted as local agent, but he was found not guilty by the jury. DISCHARGED. Joseph Harvey, 35, labourer, answered an indictment of assaulting Florence Mabel Penhorwood, of Usk, a child of eight or nine. A verdict of Not proven was returned, and prisoner was discharged. This concluded the business.

1 Severn Tunnel Fatality.




-'.1 Resignation of Sir W.…

IThe Trans i aal -'


Shipment of Rails from Newport…

The Sfax Sighted.