Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

13 articles on this Page

- - ".===- - - --- - - - _-RATES…



I Alleged Theft of Mackerel.I

Milford Haven Sessions. I

Disguised Minister.i

Pembrokeshire Schools. !

- - - - -[ Hubbeston Parish…



Detailed Lists, Results and Guides

FOOTBALL. THE OWEN PHILIPPS CUP. FINAL AT HAVERFOBDWEST. I MILFORD UNITED, 4; PEMBROKE DOCK, NIL. I The decision of the Cup Committee to play the Final Tie outside of Pembroke Dock or Milford was highly appreciated and a record crowd assembled at the Bridge Meadow on Saturday, to witness the struggle for supremacy and possession of the handsome cup given by Sir Owen Philipps, M P. The Milford team, although not at full strength owing to injuries to players, was the strongest possible, and Pembroke Dock left no stone unturned in their attempt to wrest the trophy from their old rivals, the Robins. The game proved au interesting one to Haverfordwest enthusiasts, and there is no reason why they should not as a result take up the game and run a good representative team next year, drawn from the various junior elevens. Both teams were well supported by their followers and although the match clashed with the visit of the Swansea Rugby team to Milford, yet the red and white colours were well sported. The game was not a very exciting one and Milford proved themselves the better team, their forwards out-classing those of their opponents. There was a strong cross wind blowing, but this did not have much effect. The teams lined out as follows :— Milford United.-Goil, SmaUwood; backs, C John and J Smith; halves, Hoggins, Gosling and Blockwell forwards, Ned Walters, Ted Walters, T Whitehouse, V Thomas and S Jackson. Pembroke Dock,-Goal, S Frise; backs, N Berry and C Mason halves, F Griffiths, C Silcox and Jenkins forwards, S Fielder, J Thomas, Lieut. Rees, V Lloyd and L Silcox. Referee Mr S Tucker, Pembroke Dock. Milford won the toss and set their opponents to face the town. Lieut. Rees kicked off and the ball was sent to Silcox, but Hoggins got possession and play settled in mid-field. Fielder made a nice run down the field, but his centre went behind. The Milford forwards now got away, but Mason, who was cool and in fine form, was sound and did good work. Milford were awarded a free kick for hands, and later their opponents were repaid for hauds against Hoggins. This sent the Docks in motion and play hovered around the Milford goal, but Smith cleared when Lieut. Rees, who was too slow, should have got in a shot. The Dock forwards again attacked and L Silcox inis-ed a nice centre. Fielder did some good work on the wing aud t-glel Smallwood with a few long shots. Cecil John executed a nice save when the Dock forwards looked dangerous and the lads in red broke away and Fiise was for the first time tested, but saved well. Milford continued to press and were awarded a corner, but Lieut. Rees cleared. After a 3eries of touches about m:d-field, Gosling got possession and shot for goal, but the ball went wide. Jackson and Thomas did some pretty work on the wing, but Berry got possession and cleared. Some end to end play followed, in which Mason was prominent. Fielder broke away and passed to Ivor Thomas, who tested Smallwood with a hot shot, but without effect. From the kick out Gosling passed to Jackson, who neatly sprinted up the field and centred. Milford pressed and forced a corner, but the shot went behind. Gosling from the kick out got possession and shot, but Mason saved, and the ball went to Teddy Walters who did some very tricky work on his own and centred to Gosling, whose shot again went wide. The Dock forwards now came away with a rush and Small- wood was again tested, but he was not to be caught napping and easily saved. Play settled in mid-field for a little while and Jackson on the wing, getting possession, put iu a fine shot, but the ball went behind off one of the D ck backs. Jackson took the corner kick and nicely centred. Some exciting play ensued around the goal- mouth and when the game had been in progress for 20 miuutes, Gosling with a nicely judged shot drew first blood amidst much cheering. Frise had no chance, as several of the players were in front of the goalmouth and 110 probably could not see the ball. From the centre kick the Docks came away vigorously, but Smith saved the situation. Clifford Silcox, who had been doing some good work, brought the ball into a dangerous position and Lieut. Rees should have equalized, but was too slow in front of the goal. Milford, when in a good position, were penalized for a foul by Ted Walters and later Lloyd tripped Hoggins. Milford were awarded a free kick, but the shot went wide. Frise was soon afterwards tested by Whitehouse, and although rather slow he effected a nice save, but Whitehouse was determined and later he scored a second goal for Milford from a fairly long distance. The Robins continued to attack, but an unfortnate incident now occurred. C. Silcox injured the back of his ncck in trying to save a corner, but he did not leave the field. It appears that one of the Milford forwards fell on him and accidentally kicked him on the neck. A pretty bout of passing by the Milford forwards resulted in their being awarded a corner, but when in a good position they were penalised for offside. Following some end-to- end play, Berry cleared after some pretty work, but the Robins were again aggressive and forced a corner, but the ball went wide. The whistle now blew with the score— goals. Milford United. 2 Pembroke Dock nil It was not long after the re-start when Milford again assumed the aggressive and Jackson getting possession sent the ball into the net with a nicely judged shot. The Docks, after the centre kick, were penalised through C. Silcox handling the ball. Whitehouse took the kick, but the ball went wide. Soon after Gosling sent in a shot and Frise neatly turned the ball round the post thus giving Milford a corner. Hoggins nicely centred and the ball rebounded off one of the Dock backs. Ned Walters got possession and with a hard drive scored a fourth. The Robins now seemed to take matters a little easier and the Docks soon took advantage ar.d Smallwood was repeatedly tested, but he was playing grandly and brought off some fine saves. Hand ball against Berry set the Milford forwards going and some very pretty play was witnessed, but Masou cleared, and the Docks again pressed, Berry testing Smallwood with a hot shot, but with no effect. Ivor Thomas, when in a good position and chse to the goal, sent in a hard drive, which Smallwood beautfully saved by falling full length in the goal mouth. Gosling was penalized for fouling, and Mason took the kick, but the ball went behind. The Dock forwards continued to press, and perhaps were a little slow in shooting, but Smallwood, who was frequently tested, was very prominent and played excellently. Jackson from a pass by Gosling broke away on the wing, but the ball was cleared and sent to Fielder, who tested Smallwood. Lieut. Rees forced a corner which was followed by another, but both were cleared. Fielder was penalised for hands, but Mason cleared and the ball was sent to Silcox, who passed to V. Lloyd. This player had a clear goal and banged the ball into the goalmouth, Smalhvcod saved and cleared and Lloyd rushed him into the net and winded him, but he soon recovered. Play now became less interesting and the game was evidently won. About seven minutes before time was called, Milford were awarded a penalty. Gosling took the kick, but shot wide. The game from now to the end was even and the whistle blew with the final score— Milford United. 4 Pembroke Dock nil me game was an interesting one ttuu wazi playeCl with good feeling, slthough some of the crowd showed some bitterness. The Milford forwards were superior to their opponents in combination although Fielder especially in the iirst half did good work and sent in some fine centres, but the forwards were slow and did not sufficiently back him up and line out well. L. Silcox was also good but the centre was weak and Parrot was greatly missed. The centre-half on both sides was good, and Gosling was greatly admired. Cliff Silcox also played well and was a great help to his side. The backs were evenly matched and there was little to choose between them. Mason was sound and sure and proved a substantial help. Small wood was best at goal. He was tested even more often than Frise, and was always ready and cool. Frise did not seem up to bia old form, although he brought off some good saves. Whitehouse and Jackson were two excellent forwards but Teddy Walters did not seem in his usual form. Lloyd and Thomas were good in the second half especially the former whose shots were repeatedly saved. On the whole they were two good teams and made a good match. PRESENTATION OF CUP. Mr Isaiah Reynolds, J.P., in making the presentation of the cup said that, while thanking the Executive Com- mittee of the Pembrokeshire Association Football League for the honour conferred upon him in asking him to make that presentation that day he regretted that Sir Owen Philipps, the donor of that beautiful cup, was unable to be present owing to pressure of parliamentary duties. If Sir Owen's personal inclinations were consulted he would no doubt prefer the open air treatment at the Bridge Meadow to the stuffy atmosphere of the House of Commons. The cup was offered originally by Sir Owen in order to stimulate greater interest in the "soccer" game. This object had been realised and that day they bad witnessed the final cup-tie which was the outcome of a series of hotly contested games. That was the first occasion that the cup-final had been played in Haver- fordwest and he trusted that it would influence the Haverfordwest young men to enter the lists next year and win back the trophy this year again secured by Milford. It was a coincidence that that day the famous English Cup-final was played at the Crystal Palace. Mr Reynold trusted that ere long a Pembrokeshire team would be selected to represent Wales to play against the victorious English team. Wales so famous for its Rugby triumphs ought to secure premier honours also in the Soccer game. He desired to pay tribute to the excellent feeling which had prevailed right through the contests, and he had now much pleasure in presenting the Cup to Captain Hoggins of the Milford team in com- memoration of their well earned triumphs for this year. (Loud applause). The cup was presented amid applause, and on the motion of Councillor Edwards, Pembroke Dock, seconded by Mr W. Lewis, the hon. secretary, a vote of thanks to the deputy-mayor (Mr Reynolds) was carried with enthusiasm. The victorious captain was afterwards shouldered by his friends and earned out of the Bridge Meadow. RUGBY, SWANSEA IN THE WEST. GRAND EXHIBITION AT MILFORD HAVEN. Not since the days of the elder -Bancroft and his con- freres have the famous All White 8 visited Pembroke- shire, they then played the Haverfordwest 'Quins. On Saturday thanks to the kind offices of Capt. E. Garnham, whose influence with the Swansea men was such as to prevail upon them to come to Milford, Rugger enthusiasts had the privilege of seeing the game as it should be played. It was unfortunate that the Cup-tie at Haver- fordwest took place the same day, several hundred people leaving the town to cheer on the Robins. The weather, too, was anything but inviting, but the. rain held off and all things considered there was a capital gate, a good number coming from the adjacent towns. The match was played on the Soccer ground. The Milford Com- mittee wisely selected the team from the various clubs in the County, whilst Swansea, althoagh not at full strength brought down a strong side, including seven inter- nationals. The referee was also an old international, Dr. Rowland L. Thomas, Whitland. The teams fielded as follows Swansea Back, *J Bancroft; tbree-quartera, Haydn Evans, P Shefford, *W Trew, A Roberts; half-backs. *R M Owen, *R Jones; forwards, Ivor Morgan, *G Hayward *D J Thomas, Ike Williams, T Williams, W John and Smith. *Welsh International. Milford Back, J Caisley (Milford) three-quarters, W Caisley, W Pike (Milford), Lieut. Salmon, Lieut. Walker (Welsh Regt.) half-backs, T Phillips, R Harries (Neyland) forwards, W Keane, P.C. Manser (Milford), A Richardson, S Webb (Neyland), S Morgan (Llangwm), Lieut. Kirkby (United Services), S Denzy (Pembroke Dock), J Jones (Haverfordwest). The teams were photographed and Swansea were accor- ded a good reception on entering the enclosure. Keane kicked off with the wind, find from a return Harries replied with a fine kick to touch. A quick bnrst and then a scrum at half-way gave Dicky Owen his first opportunity, and with adroitness he set the men behind going, Evans just failing to cross. From a cross kick Harries brought Roberts down and saved the situation. Boring their way down Milford forwards showed up well and forced Bancroft to save on his line. A moment later Bobbie Harries essayed a drop for goal and only missed by inches. A dash by Roberts nearly brought a try and from a scrum Milford were penalised for feet up and Bancroft failed to goal. Again the locals worked down the field only to he checked by the Welsh custodian, who gave to Evens, who made a fine run. Pike returning with a good punt. Trew several times wriggled through beautifully but T Phillips pluckiiv came to the rescue, and play was transferred, the forwards almost getting over. Lieut. Salmon roused the crowd with a brilliant run through, eluding his opponents, and Ba ucropt tackled him just a yard out. The whole of Swansea backs came away beautifully, and T Williams picked up and scored an easy try which Bancroft failed to convert. Once in scoring mood Swansea could not be held and Trew added a socond try which Bancroft majorised, and soon after Ivor Morgau raced over with a third, which was not con- verted. After mid-field play Sbefford handed to Trew, who gave to Evans, but he knocked on when almost over. Milford forced the attackers back to nearly their own twenty-five, and then was witnessed one of the tit-bits of the match. Ivor Morgan picked up and ran doging man after man until he neared the goal when he fell, but handed out to Shefford who scored, Bancroft adding the needful. Shortly after half time arrived. Half-time score :—Swansea, 2 goals :J tries Milford, nil. Immediately on resuming, Trew made off in brilliant style, but Evans was forced into touch. R. Harries secured from the line out, and Richardson led a fine j forward rush, and play was kept up for a few minutes. Ivor Morgan again essayed a run but J Caisley brought off a fine tackle. Then the irrepressible Trew got going and passed to Dick Jones who knocked on. Salmon tried to get through, but was foiled, and the Swansea hacks moved along like a machine, until Evans was called back for a forward pass. A formidable dash by the home. forwards should have ended in a score, Jones by the nearest shave failing to hook the oval over. Salmon again attempted to get away, but Morgan floored him and appeared to treat him roughly on the ground. Another fine boot of passing by the Swansea backs brought play down, Caisley tackled Trew, but the centre rolled over with a try, and Caisley was injured in the collision. The place kick failed. From the kick out Owen made a mark, but Milford relieved, and Phillips and Harries took the game up by a nice bit of passing. Salmon's speed proved a factor in overtaking Evans. From halfway Trew made a corkscrew ruu, and passed to Roberts who scored, the same player failing to land a goal. Milford got away, Harries, Salmon and Pike indulging in passing, but Trew saved cleverly, and Phillips almost scored. Trew, Shefford and t, vat-s got moving but Lieut. Kirkly rushed up and kicked over dead ball line, after Pike had shown good play. Trew received from Owen, passed to Bancroft, be to Morgan, who gave Ike Williams a clear run in. Bancroft again failed to convert by inches. T Williams was brought down by Manser, and Kirkby stopped Ivor Morgan, but Swansea gained ground. Owen gave to Shefford, who after a beautiful run, scored the last try, which was not goaled. For an exhibition of the finer phases of a game, it is an advantage to see a first-class team pitted against a less experienced side and this being so on Saturday, we had a spectacular treat. The passing and other adroit moves of the Swansea men being worth going miles to see. Many have read of their prowess, they beheld it on this occasion. Owen and Jones were artful to a degree, their reverse passing being masterful, whilst the great genius of Trew was every- where apparent. The forwards as well were almobt like backs even the leviathian Dai Davies taking his share in the passing. It was indeed a real treat. The home side were not disgraced against such opponents. Of course the backs had ho chance of passing, but individually Lieut. Salmon did some fine things. The halves, Phillips and Harries, played a fine game and it only proves what has alwavs been said that Bob is fit for any class. The forwards were a good level lot, honest workers all of them, and it would be hardly fair to single out any of them. The match should give an impetus to the game locally for such a large crowd never saw Rugby played at Milford before. Final :-Swansea, 2 goals, 6 tries (28 points) Milford, nil. —

I Roose Petty Sessions. I

[No title]