Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

3 articles on this Page




Detailed Lists, Results and Guides

when a train was coming. The signal would however show us when:a train was expected. After leaving the cabin I went with John Davies and Richard Williams, and I told the others to put themselves out as before; The deceased had a lamp when he left the cabin. I went on to the signal box to ask them to caution the drivers at Barmouth Junction to keep their whistles open right through the sand. When I was going up the steps of the signal box I heard the whistle of an engine, so my message could not have been given to the driver of that train. It was excep- tionally stormy and windy. We bad been there all the day. No previous suggestions bad been given to the engine drivers to keep their whistles out. Shortly after getting into the signal box John Davies came there, and he asked me to coma at once as there was a man killed. I went with him immediately and after going out 100 yards we found the body of the deceased. He was dead and was badly cut about. Dr. J. Pugh Jones was there, and lafer ttii body was taken to the Station. It is probable that the deceased was alone when the accident happened. I think the de- ceased could have beard the whistle. Everybody else did so. There are no special instructions for safety in cases such as this. I consider all precautions to safeguard the lives of the workmen were taken. The body was lying on the firm footway. The lamp was within 5 yards of the body, and the light was out. George Caffrey, Maebynl I e tb, stated.- I am an engine driver in the employ of the Cambrian Railways Co On Satur- day last, I was the engine driver of the train from Barmouth Junction, which we left at 7.58 p.m. It was a relief to 510 p.m. to Dolgelley, from where passengers had to be carried by motOr to Arthog. At the Junction I bad no instructions as to any workmen being employed on the line. After getting through the tunnel, I whistled to warn anyone near the crossing, and I also whistled afterwards to warn the workmen I knew were employed on the sand. I knew nothing about the accident till after 10 minutes of my arrival at Barmouth station. I did not feel'my engine touching or going over anything. My engine bad the tender first. We can see just as well, but we had the wind in our face. If the engine had been the other way it would not, I chink, make any difference to the accident., I did not notice any lamp as I was going along. After leaving the tunnel I reduced my sppeed, and I could not be going more than 10 miles an hour. I bad passed three times before this time that day along this section. I did everything I could to safeguard lives.* By a Juror—He bad reduced his speed as a precaution. He lost two minutes time in coming from Barmouth Junction to Barmouth. He kept on the Second whistle urtil be bad passed Mr Wellings' house. Dr. J. Pugh Jones stated :—Sometime after 8.15 p.m. on Saturday night last I was called by Owen Davies who stated there was an accident on the line. I went with him along the Jubilee Road and over the wall to the line to a spot opposite Tynycoed. I found the de- ceased dead lying on the land side of the line. I bad the body removed to the Railway Station on a stretcher, and I there examined it. We examined the line of any traces for an accident and found none. The left boot and the hat was off. On examining the body, the left foot was nearly amputated, the bones of the right leg below the knee were crushed. All the bones of the right leg were fractured with the excep- tion of the foot. All bones of the right arm were fractured. No injury to the body, nor to the head. The deceased bad goggles on. Death must have been instantaneous. The engine had pro- bably gone over his legs and right arm, and not ovpr the body. There were no sign that the body bad been dragged along. The Coroner stated that all the evidence available had been laid before the Jury. The occurence was a pure j accident, and it was impossible to say how it happened. From the evidence given itowould appear that the deceased was by himself when the accident occured, and it was satisfactory to think that everything possible had been done to safeguard the lives of these men who were working at the time. As they were ail well aware, last Saturday night was an exceptionally stormy and windy night. The Jury brought in a verdict of Accidental Death At the close of the inquest, it was re- ported that Dr. Pugh Jones bad recom- mended that the body should be removed from the Station to the Mortuary. The foreman proposed a vote of condolence with the bereaved widow, children, and other relatives in their sad bereavement. Capt. Hugh Morris seconded.. The Coroner also wished to associate himself in tfce vote of condolence. Mr Kenrick Minshall, on behalf of the Cambrian Railways Company, expressed sympathy with the family in their sad bereavement, remarking that the de- ceased was a sturdy and industrial, work- man. The vote was carried by all the members upstanding.