Hide Articles List

2 articles on this Page



FOOTBALL I Oorwen 3 Penyeae United 0 On Saturday last, Corwen F.C. entertained Penycae United on the Dee Park football ground, in the 1st round encounter of the Rhosymedre Cup Competition. The weather elements were very unfavourable and the heavy going great]y marred the players on both sides. Congratulations to the Corwen team upon their smart acheivement, thus qualifying them to enter into the 2nd round of the above tourney. May further success attain their efforts. The Corwen XI. have never been seen to better advantage this season, their football being supurb and admirable throughout. Mr D R Morris ably officiated as referee. The following are the names of the players, in their respective positions, who represented the home team:— Goal, Fox Davies; backs, Hugh Jones, Fred Griffiths; half-backs, T Jones, Pearce (capt.), Thomas; forwards, Peake, Evans, Dunn, Roberts, Williams. From the kick-off Corwen soon made matters uneasy for the visitors, and after some midfield play, Evans the home inside right made a fine individual run, and with a grand shot had the visiting goalie well beaten, thus securing the homesters an early lead. From the ensuing centre Penycae tried a series of attacks, adopting some rough and dirty tactics into their play, but try as they would they could not penetrate the home defence, Griffiths and Jones being quite at their best. Play was soon transferred, and again the homesters wended their way into the visitors territory, where a foul against one of their full-backs within the penalty area was given, and the referee had no hesitancy in awarding Corwen a penalty, from which Griffiths easily converted No. 2. The home supporters were now quite frantic with de- light at their pets' second success. Mid- field play was the order, with the visitors trying hard to reduce the score, but the home defence was solid. Had the visitors asserted themselves to better tactics, playing the ball and not the man, the score would not perhaps have been as bad against them. Still they never looked dangerous, as the homesters were fully masters of the situation. Corwen were not long ere they were again given another penalty for 'hands' by one of the visitors backs within the dreaded area. The home skipper was entrusted with this, and he made no mis- take, thus registering Corwen's No 3. Half- time arriving with the visitors 3 goals in arrears. The second half was keenly contested, but the odds were always in favour of the home team, and in the end the visitors had to retire a well beaten side. Great praise is due to their goalkeeper for his fine display. Corwen were well served by Davies in goal, and Griffiths and H Jones who were brilliant in their defence, as also were trio of half-backs. Dunn was a dashing centre-forward, and the left wingers Williams and Roberts also did very well, Peake and Evans on the right made the best wing on the field, their understand- ing being always perfect. The draw for the 2nd round again favours Corwen with the home advantage, and are due to play Penycae Juniors. The date of the match will be made known in due course. On Wednesday next (to-morrow), the draw for the 1st round of Tryddyn Cup, for which competition Corwen have also entered, takes place. The result will be made known in the next week's issue of the Adsain.-COR.