Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

12 articles on this Page

From Labour's Standpoint.





Mr D. A. Thomas as Railway…



COLLIER KILLED ON N. and B. RAILWAY. I DISTRESSING CIRCUMSTAN- CES CORONER AND RAILWAY TRESPASS- ING A distressing fatality occurred early on Saturday morning on the Neath and Brecon Railway Company's line near I'enrhos Brickworks, Ystradgynlais, when Joseph Francis Rivers (27), a miner employed at the Gwaunclawdd Colliery, Abercrave, and lodging at Neath Bridge House, Ystradgynlais, was knocked down by a goods train from Brecon and killed practically in- stantaneously. A particularly sad feature of the ac- cident is that deceased had made everv I preparation to be married at Easter. THE INQUEST. The inquest took place on Tuesday morning at the Railway Inn, Ystrad- gynlais, and was conducted by the Coroner (Dr. W. R. Jones). Among others present were Mr. J. Bell, Ystalyfera, representing the Mid- land Railway Co., and Mr. Samuel James Sercombe, Neath, representing the Neath and Brecon Railway Co. Francis Rivers, Halifax, Yorkshire, father of the deceased, said the latter was 27, and was really a gardener, but had been a coal miner since Easter last. He was a steady fellow and had no trouble. A letter received by wit- ness a few days ago showed him to be well and happy, and was preparing to be married at Easter. He was a good son. Reginald Price, colliery repairer, Cloth Hall, Abercrave, said deceased and he worked together. He last saw Rivers alive on Saturday morning at about 5 o'clock, parting by the lamp- room at Gwaunclawdd Colliery. It was a very stormy morning and quite dark, but deceased was quite jolly. The wind was blowing from the direction of Swan- sea. Edward Richard Kinnard. Ystrad- gynlais, colliery firer, said deceased was lodging with him and was a very sober young man, and also cheerful. Rivers left the colliery an hour earlier than witness, about & a.m., when it was dark and stormy, Witness was coming home down the line between Penrhos Brickworks and Hendreladis Farm, he picked up a tea can which he knew belonged to Rivers. He thought nothing of that, but came a little further and picked up his coat and felt a little scared then. Looking around he picked up his oilskin over- coat. A little later lie found the the body of deceased, lying across the 4ft. way. His head was to the right hand rail to the down line, and a portion of his legs to the left hand rail. He was on his back, practi- cally across the line. Witness ran to the farmhouse and asked for light, telling them what he had found, and when he came back two more men had come on the scene. He asked for help to life the body off the line, laid it on the grass and looked round for remains. He found one leg with the boot on en- tirely severed from the body, about 15 to 20 yards away. Coroner: One merciful thing was that it must have been instantaneous death. Continuing, witness said he covered the body over and then went and gave information to the police, and the body taken to his house. Answering the Coroner, witness said he could not say where deceased was first caught by the train. The Coroner said Mr. Kinnard had given his evidence splendidly. Mr. Rivers, father of deceased, asked if the latter left work earlier than usual on Saturday morning. Witness said Rivers left work an hour earlier than usual because they had been working in water. The Coroner: Had he a right to walk on the line ?—No, he would be trespass- ing, and witness also was trespassing. Coroner: It is usually done, is it net ? The rule is made but winked at ? —Yes. Answering Mr. Sercombe, witness said there were notice boads up warn- ing people against trespassing, but people persisted in using the line. Thomas Childs, of Queen-street, Brecon, engineer-driver for the Mid- land Railway, said he was one of the drivers of the two engines attached to the 2.10 a.m. goods train from Brecon t» Ynisgeinon Junction on Saturday r. orning. His was the second engine. Going along a little below Penrhos Brickworks he heard a slight noise under the engine, and his mate also heard it, but it was so slight that they did not even mention it to each other at ths time. It was about 5.20 am. when they passed the Ystradgynlais signal-box. Answering the Coroner to the effect that two other men were on the first engine of the train, the former ex- pressed the opinion that they should have been called, but witness said they observed nothing whatever on the line nor was any signs of the accident to be found on their engine. Continuing, the driver said he first heard of what had happened when pass- ing the colliery on the return journey, and then at a glance around the engine saw a small piece of stocking attached to it. Upon arrival at Brecon an ex- amination was made and blood was found on two parts. There was also some human hair on the exhaust rod. The Coroner: How do you account for the marks being on your engine and not on. the first one ?—Because ours was lower than the first. Dr. Walsh said he was called by Kin- nard to the scone of the fatality and found the body much mutilated. He described the injuries. The cause of death was shock and heommorage from the injuries received, and it would be practically instantaneous. Referring to the fact that deceased was trespassing, the Coroner asked 'f really serious notice was taken of the offence. Was not this practice quite a regular one? <Oontlnu»d at bottom of next column-) 9




[No title]