Hide Articles List

13 articles on this Page









BRECON POLICE INTELLIGENCE. COUNTY PETTY SESSIONS, SATUBOAT, before GBOBGB OVKBTON, Esq., MOBDECAI JONES, Esq., and LBWIB HUSHES, Esq. CHABOB or TBBSPASS IN PURSUIT or GAmia.- Rets Levrii and David Joms were charged with unlawfully committing a trespass, by entering and being in the day time on a certain close of land in the possession and occupation of Joseph Price, in search of game and conies, on the 24th of October. Mr. Games appeared for the defendants.—Thomas Parks stated that he lived at Allt cottage, and was a gamekeeper in the employ of Mrs, Gwynne Holford; on Sunday, the 24th October, he was going round his beat, and heard some degs hunting he went on to the Liansaintfread field, opposite the turnpike road, and he saw DLTid Jones at a rabbit burrow, picking up a net; he then saw a ferret coming out of the burrow, and David Jones jumped at one hole and witness at another, in order to catch the ferret; seeing he could not do so, he got over the hedge, and as the ferret came out of the hole he caught it; there was someone the other side of the hedge, but he did not know who it was he asked Jones if he knew whose ferret it was, and Jones said he knew nothing about it; witness asked him why he put the net to the hole, and Jones said it was a lost ferret; witness kept the ferret did not search the defendant.—In cross-examination, the witness said it was Mrs. Gwynne Holford's land Jones was on the bank the same side as the turnpike road; did not know that Edwards, a poacher, was there; Mr. Joseph Price was the tenant of the land, and the two defendants were his servants.—Joseph Edwards, living at Talybryn with his grandfather, William Rees, said: On Sunday, the 24th of October, he saw Rees Lewis and David Jones ferreting on the side of the turnpike road on the fence of the farm belonging to Llansaintfread farm; David Jones drewSome nets from his pocket, and gave one to Rees Lewis, and David Jones laid one on the side where he (witness) was Lewis went up the road to the horses; did not see Jones do anything more than put the net to the hole. -Cross-examined I was going to Talybont about the sheep I went over the hedge for fear of meetinethe people going to church (laughter); I had my own dog with me; I was about twenty yards from the defendants, nearer Bwlch I was standing by the hedge, and the dog was near me; the dog would not run after rabbits if I told him not to do so; I had come in the company of the defendants for some little distance; I did not put any nets down; I saw the keeper catch the ferret I was then 100 yards off I have not offered to pay the costs in this matter in order to settle it Mr. Price did not give me. leave to go on the land.—James lugs, head keeper to Mrs. Gwynne Holford, said the part in question was his mistress, property; he had been keeper for 16 years, and the game and rabbits had always been reserved he and the other keepers always killed them last year Mrs. Gwynne Holford gave permission to the tenant to go with a keeper, or for the^ tenant to send a man to assist him in killing rabbits round the hedge. By Mr. Games: I was not present when Mr. Price's agreement was signed, and do not know what it was. —For the defence, Mr. Games said that the defen- dants were going with their master's horses up the road, and saw the nets on the holes, and a strange ferret there, which he (Mr. Games) alleged had been £ laced there by the witness Edwards, against whom e had asked for a summons. Mr. Games also alleged that Mr. Price had a right to kill rabbits.—Mr. Jas. Price was called, and said he was tenant of Llan- saintfread farm, and had been for four years; Mr. and and Mrs, G, Holford were his landlord or landlady there was an agreement drawn up he gave notice to leave the farm, and he had a verbal agreement two years ago Mr. Gwynne Holford made the agree- ment with him, but not a word was said about reserving the game; Mr. Gwynne Holford said the rabbits should not hurt him.—By Mr. Jones The game was reserved in the first agreement.—By Mr. Games It was agreed that I was to killItbl and last year I kept a man on purpose -d rabbits, and I gave them away Mr. GWYDD" co kill them, man, and I sent one also had F d Holfor.d sent a himself without the keeper; -ailed rabbits once threatened to split his bea" thev saw him and a remand in order to Mr Ings apphed for right to kill rabb'J aOVV Jkat tenant had no granted —Mr. GP iCS« and the application was on the next oc :me! sai5* Edwards appeared he was th# -asion he should be able to show that dant y offending party, and not the defen- hot an'* ar" ^rerton 8a'd Mr. Games must not blow u J cold in that way.—Lewis was then dis- -,ged, and the case against the other defendant jjourned for a fortnight. I RIDING WITHOUT REINS.—John Ince, farm labourer, was charged with riding without reins on the turn- pike road. He pleaded guilty, andhaving been pre- viously cautioned, he was fined Is., and 5s. 6d. costs.—James Probert, Courtcoed, was charged with riding on a threshing-machine on the turnpike road without anyone to guide the horses. He pleaded guilty, and was fined 6d and 8s. 4d. costs CHABGB or STEALING Lim-z. -John Jones, of Cwm- pistil, Merthyr Cynog, was charged with feloniously stealing a ton of lime, the property of Lewis Richards. Permission was asked for the charge to be withdrawn, and consent was given by the magis- trates. WOBRTING SHBEP.- Wm. Jones, Blaencwm. shep- herd to Howel Powell, Cui, and John Lewis, Tyrhri, shepherd to Richard White, Tregare, Llanfigan, were charged with wilfully and maliciously commit- ing damage and injury to certain sheep, the pro- perty of Howel Davies, by chasing and worrying them with dogs on the 26th October. The case was adjourned for a fortnight. BOROUGH PETTY SESSIONS, MONDAY, before W. Dz WINTON, Esq. (Mayor), JOSEPH JOSEPH, ESQ., and JOHN DAVIES, ESQ. STEALING CLOTHES, &C.—Joseph Williams was charged with stealing a flannel shirt, watch, boots, and hat, the property of Richard Walker and also two coats, trousers, and other articles, the property of William Williams, on thel4tbinst. Richard Albert Walker deposed I am an engine driver on the Mid- land railway, living in the Watton I first saw the prisoner on Friday night, at the Prince of Wales, with his brother, William Williams, who lodges with me; prisoner slept at my house on Friday and Saturday night; between six and seven o'clock on Sunday morning I heard William Williams calling my name, and I immediately went down stairs William Williams said to me Dick, there's some- thing funny happened here; Joe has gone away with a lot of my things have you lost anything ?" I went into the kitchen, and found my hat gone, as well as an old fashioned watch that hung over the mantelpiece, a pair of new boots, which I had had only a fortnight, and a blue flannel shirt; the hat, watch, boots, and shirt, produced are my property; Williams and I then went to the police station and saw Superintendent Lee the boots are worth 17s. 6d., the hat 5s., the watch 10s., the shirt 2s. 6d.; I did not know prisoner had left the house until the brother called me he had not said anything to me about leaving I believe prisoner slept with his brother.—P.C. W. Davies (No. 2) stated Yesterday morning, in consequence of in- formation received, about eight o'clock, I went down to the house of the prosecutor and ascertained what goods had been stolen I then got a horse and trap, and followed the prisoner to Crickhowell, and in company with Superintenednt Evans, I apprehended him in the Bush public-house prisoner had a bundle with him, some things tied up in the shirt being identified by the prosecutor; the prisoner was wearing the hat, and the watch he had in his pocket; the pair of boots were given me by Superintendent Evass; I do not know where he had them from I charged the prisoner with stealing the things, and he admitted having stolen them I then brought him to Brecon about nine o'clock prisoner had on him a pair of black trousers, produced, sup- posed to be stolen from Williams Walker and prisoner's brother went with me to Crickhowell, and came back with me and the prisoner prisoner was in drink at the time he was taken.—William Williams, the brother of the prisoner, was then called. He was not sworn, but he stated in reply to the Bench that he saw his brother for the first time for six years on Thursday, and being in bad circum- stances he treated him as kindly as he could; he intended to get work for his brother, who was a smith when he went to bed he left him down stairs by the fire on Saturday night, thinking he would follow him; he was "a little fresh" at the time. The second case was then about to be gone into, but the witness expressed his wish not to press the charge. It came out however that, although some of the things belonging to William Williams had been recovered, Superintendent Evans, of Crickhowell, had detained and refused to give up to P.C. Davies two coats and a valuable meerschaum pipe belonging to him. The magistrates expressed their great sur- prise that Superintendent Evans should have de- tained the articles, which he bad no right to do, and first of all recommended Williams to demand the things from him, and if not given up to sue him in the county court. It was afterwards, however, thought best to go into the second case. William Williams then stated that his brother lodged with him on Saturday night, and left before witness got up next morning he missed the trousers, shawl, and boots produced, and also two coats and meer- schaum pipe, which he saw at Crickhowell, in the possession of Superintendent Evans.—P.C. Davies (No. 2) deposed to apprehending the prisoner with the shawl and trousers in his possession the boots had been sold to a man named Prosser, for 4s.; the two coats were either pawned or sold at the Bush Inn, and Superintendent Evans got them from the landlord; Superintendent Evans also had possession of a meerschaum pipe.—The magistrates sentenced the prisoner to five months' hard labour upon the first charge, and one month upon the second. COUNTY MAGISTRATES' CLERK'S OFFICE, TUESDAY, before JAMES WILLIAMS, Esq., and LEWIS HUGHBS, Esq. AN EXPENSIVE SPBEE.Rees Lewis and Henry James Pugh were charged with being drunk and riotous, and assaulting P.C. Morgan Jones in the execution of his duty. Lewis was also charged with damaging the constable's coat.—P.C. Morgan Jones deposed: About quarter-past twelve o'clock this morning I saw the two prisoners, Rees Lewis and Henry James Pugh, drunk and fighting in Trecastle; I went and stopped them, and Rees Lewis turned round and hit me two or three times with his fist, and then caught hold of my coat, and tore it; I now produce the coat; when Lewis tore the coat the other prisoner was not there I then took Rees Lewis into custody, and while I was handcuffing him the other prisoner, Henry James Pugh, came on, and commenced kicking me, and endeavoured to free his companion; I then called upon the parish constable, by whose house I was, to assist me in taking them to Defynock; when we were about half way to Defynock the prisoner Pugh wanted me to take off the handcuffs and fight a couple of rounds with them; the prisoners were both very drunk, and made a considerable disturbance in Trecastle afterwards Pugh wanted me to take the handcuffs off, and struck me in the road, in the presence of the constable; prisoner Pugh also kicked at the constable when I got to Defynock I charged him with being drunk and riotous and an assault, and Rees Lewis with the same, and with tearing my coat; the damage done to my coat is 10s.—Henry Evans, parish constable of Llywel, deposed About twenty minutes to one last night I heard Jones calling me, and went down to him, and be asked me to assist him in taking the prisoners to Defynock on the road I saw Pugh striking at Jones, and he also tried to kick me; it was fair day at Trecastle yesterday; the two pri- soners were nearly drunk.—Each of the prisoners was fined Is. and 9s. costs for being drunk, and Al 11s and 9s. costs each for the assault; the defen- dant Lewis also to pay 10s. for the damage done to the policeman's coat.

T-ow gt itRtv fetfte.