Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

18 articles on this Page

LOCAL GOSSIP.

BRIDGEND POLICE COURT.

TALYGARN FLOWER SHOW.! .

COTTAGERS (Open).

MISCELLANEOUS.

FARMER S CLASSES.

NEW CHAPEL AT HEOLYCUE.\ -------------------...--

News
Cite
Share

NEW CHAPEL AT HEOLYCUE. MEMORIAL STONES LAID. The interesting ceremony of laying the foundation stones of the new chapel at Heolycue for Bethel Congregational Church took place on Wednesday afternoon in showery weather, but in the presence of a large number of local residents and visitors. The church is coupled for pastoral purposes with Brynmenin and Bryncethin, the minis- ter in charge being the Rev. H. Eynon Lewis. The cause was started as far back as the year 1819, services being held at the Elusendy (aim's house). In a few months the room became inadequate to accommodate the congregation, and a portion of Llwyni- wrch House-now the residence of Mr. Griffith Edwards—was placed at the disposal of the adherents of the cause. Here ser- vices were regularly held until September, 1820, when the old Bethel Chapel was opened, a church being formed in November of the same year. The first Dastor was the Rev. William Jones, a popular preacher known as "Jones Penybont." and he held the pastoral oversight until 1847. He was followed in 1848 by the Rev. William Owen, during whose ministry the chapel was altered, the accommodation being increased by the erec- tion of a gallery. The Rev. W. Owen was followed in 1866 by the Rev. David Lewis, now of Llanelly, who left in 1871, when the Rev. William Morris became pastor. The latter was succeeded in 1889 by the Rev. H. E. Lewis, who has laboured with great suc- cess in the district ever since, the member- ship having more than doubled. The old chapel, though enlarged somewhat in 1893, has now become inadequate, and the build- ing of a new edifice rendered necessary. The site was secured from the Earl of Dunraven, and is about 200 yards from the old chapel, which after Uie completion ot the new build- ing will be used as a schoolroom. The new chapel will be of pretty design, and will be constructed of Llantrisant stone with Dorset quoins and arches. Accommodation will be provided for about 400 persons. The cost is estimated at £ 800. The architect is Mr. Davies (Tondu), and the contract has been let to Mr. Ward David, Llanharran. The service was presided over by the Rev. H. E. Lewis, who was supported on the im- provised platform by Mr. JL. H. Davies, J.P., Pentre (treasurer of the Welsh Congrega- tional Union), Mr. W. H. Elliot, Cardiff; Revs. Stephen Jones, Treos; D. Hughes, Pontycymmer; T. T. Jones, Maindy; J. Jenkins, Llanharry; D. Davies, Llanharran; E. Davies, Aberkenfig, etc. Others present included Messrs. T. Morgan, Hendre, Griffith Edwards, Llwyniwrch; T. Jones, Tontycym- mer; J. Jarrett, Heolycue; D. Howells, Cefn Carfan; T. Howells, Maesygwaelod; Wat- kins, manager of Raglan Colliery; D. Wil- liams, Ogmore Vale, etc. The hymn "Be with us, God the Father" having been sung, the Rev. Stephen Jones read an appropriate portion of Scripture and offered prayer, after which "Gosod babell yn ngwlad Gosen" was sung. The Chairman read letters regretting inability to be present from Mr. and Mrs. Michael Davies, Bridgend; Mr. W. Evans, Pencoed; Mr. and Mrs. Graham Verity, Bridgend; Revs. T. H. V\ atkins, Llantwit Major; T. R. Griffiths, Coity; J. T. Rhys, Aberanian; u. C. Harries, Tredegar; J. Wil- liams, Hafod; J. Harold Williams, Bridg- end, and Councillor Thos. Griffiths, J.P., M.E., Cymmer. The last named was to have laid a memorial stone. The Chairman said the church at Heolycue had been looking forward for ten years to that interesting occasion, and it would have taken place a good deal earlier had it not been for the various difficulties which had to be encountered j indeed, he did not know of any church in the district which had had to face more difficulties than that at Heolycue. One of the chief difficulties had been the securing of land for the building. For over eight years the church had been negotiating with the owner of property adjoining the old chapel with a view to purchasing a plot for the new building and for an extension of the graveyard. Two or three years ago the owner consented to sell the plot. The deed transferring the land to the chapel trustees had not been forthcoming, however, and in view of the inadequacy of the chapel owing to the increasing population of the district, the church was reluctantly compelled to ap- proach Lord Dunraven for the present site, which was readily o:iven on favourable terms. But though everything seemed to be against the church with regard to a new edifice, they could console themselves with the fact that the facing of obstacles had tended to make them more united than ever. It was satis- factory that the membership was greater now than ever, and that the church was united and active. He hoped the present prosper- ous state of things would continue, and that they would work with a will to clear the debt which would necessarily be incurred in con- nection with the new undertaking. The secretary of the church (Mr. Davies) then gave an interesting address on the his- tory of the church. He traced its growth and gave many interesting incidents which had taken place in connection with it. An outstanding feature was that there had never been a split of any sort and all members worked in unison for the good of the cause. Great things were witnessed during the re- cent revival, when the church membership was considerably increased. The hymn "Na foed cydweithwyr Dmv" having been sung, Mr. E. H. Davies laid the first stone, and afterwards delivered an ad- dress. He congratulated the church and its pastor on the energy they had displayed in the past and their courage in proceeding with the erection of a new chapel. The pas- tor was an exemplary man, and, as statistical secretary to the union, he had rendered great service to the connexion. He hoped the church would live up to its traditions, and that unity would, in one future as in the past, be one of its chief characteristics. Let everyone sacrifice something and take a per- sonal interest in the work of the church. On all hands there were indications of develop- ment in that district, and while there was progress from a commercial point of view he hoped there would not be anything akin to spiritual lethargy. The second stone was laid by the Chairman on behalf of Councillor T. Griffiths, and the third by Mr. W. H. Elliot (Cardiff), who is a native of Heolycue. In an eloquent address Mr. Elliot enumerated many interesting episodes of his early days spent in that dis- trict, and said he owed a preat deal to the little cause at Bethel. Wales was greatly indebted to the little country edifices, which had turned out some of the best men in the towns. The backbone of the town churches and other institutions existing for good pur- poses, were the men who hailed from the country places where they had been trained to respect Christianity and to love the house of prayer. The speaker dealt with the move- ment which had so suddenly sprung up in connection with social reform, and said he hoped that church, and every other church, would play its proper part in connection with this movement. He was ufraid the church, which should be the pioneer in the move- ment, had been lapping behind somewhat, but there were signs of an early awakening. He believed that the church existed for the good of mankind socially as well as spiritu- ally. and he hoped it would always discharge these two phases of its vvoii. I The remaining stones were gracefully laid by Miss A. M .Williams. Lan Farm, Bryn- cethin Miss E. M. Griffiths, Tynywaun Farm; and Miss M. E. Edwards, the little grand-daughter of Mr. Griffith Edwards. The service was concluded by the Rev. E. Davies, of Aberkenfig, who offered prayer. Tea was subsequently served in a marquee, the ladies of the church providing the tables." In the evening a successful sacred concert was held in the old Bethel Chapel.

ANOTHER REVIVAL.

THE REPRESENTATION OF MID-GLAMORGAN.

STREET COLLECTIONS.

Advertising

OUR LOST INDEPENDENCE. I

Advertising

Advertising

PORTHCAWL ENCAMPMENTS.

Brothers Drowned at Aberthaw.

[No title]

OUR LOST INDEPENDENCE. I