Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

17 articles on this Page



LOCAL GOSSIP. 1 In spite of all the changes of recent years, the County of Glamorgan is one of the most interesting districts in Wales from the anti- quarian and historical point of view. Situ- ated as it is on the borderland between the two oounties, it was the theatre of the con- stant conflicts which took place between the Anglo-Norman conquerors and the original Celtic inhabitants. Great castles, such as the Normans loved, were built to restrain the in curat ona of the native Welsh, and the ruins of those edifices may still be seen in Sully and Dinas Powis and Penmark, and other places. Even the old mansion houses were built with a view to war. Look at Llancaiach House, near Gelligaer, where Charles the First dined on his journey from Cardiff to Brecon, or St. Mary Hill Court, Cowbridge. the old resi- dence of the Aubreys of Llantrithyd. Note the thick walla and the solidity of the build- ing. Those houses were not built by jerry- building syndicates. They were built to en- dure, and their stability and strength are the admiration of the present generation. Lying so near England, says Mr. J. A. Lovat-Fraser. Barry, it is quite natural that the County of Glamorgan should contain a considerable number of families of English descent. Some of those families came at the Conquest. The Turbervills. of Ewenny, and the Grenfelis are descended from Pagan de Turberville and Richard de Granville, two of the companions of Robert Fitzhamon. Some of the English names have come into Glamor- gan by marriage or inheritance. The Talbots established themselves in the county in 1750 in the person of Thomas Talbot, who suc- ceeded to Margam in right of his mother, the daughter and heiress of Thomas, Lord Maneel of Margam. The family of Lord Windsor became landowners in Glamorgan through tlie marriage of the third Earl of Plymouth in 1730 with the daughter of Thomas Lewis, of the Van. One of the most important of the Anglo- Welsh families in Glamorgan are the Wynd- hams, of Dunraven Castle, who came into the county in the middle of the seventeenth cen- tury. In 1642 the Castle and estate of Dun- raven passed into the hands of Humphrey Wyndham by purchase, and in 1654 the name Humphrey Wyndham is found as High Sheriff of Glamorgan for that year. At the begin- ning of the present century the Wyndham family ended in a daughter, Caroling daugh- ter of Thomas Wyndham, of Dunraven Castle. An old rhyme well-known in Glamorganshire, referring to the decay of old families, says— "Great Berkrollee, Sydney, Gam age, all are gone, And Wvndham's daughter now is only known. So races spring and flourish, fade and die, Leaving but graves to tell their history." But the Wyndham family did not fade and die. In 1810 Caroline Wyndham married Windham Quin, who was the son of an Irish nobleman, Valentine Quin. Lord Adare, of Adare Manor, in the County of Limerick. After the marriage. Mr. Quin took his wife's name in addition to his own, and the newly- married pair became Mr. and Mrs Wyndlham- Quin. In 1822 Lord Adare, father of the squire of Dunraven, was raised1 to the dignity of an Earldom, and he took the title of Earl of Dunraven from the Castle and estate which his son had acquired by his marriage with Caroline Wyndham. On his death his son became second Earl, and was the grandfather of the present Earl of Dunraven and Colonel Wyndham-Quin. After the death of Thomas Wyndham, his wife, mother of the second1 CoYmtess of Dun- raven, married again, and became Mrs. Ben- nett. She resided in Crockherbtown, Car- diff. A hundred years ago, when journeys to London were tedious and expensive, Cardiff, like many other provincial towns, had a little aristocratic coterie of its own. The country families came into the town to enjoy the pleasures of Society. The baronets of Wen- voe Castle, to take a single instance, had a town house in Cardiff, which was afterwards converted into an inn, and was known as the "Cardiff Arms." It was there that Mr. Peter Birt lived after he bought the Wenvoe estate from Sir Edmund Thomas, and while the pre- sent castle was in process of erection. In taking up residence in Crockherbtown, Mrs. Bennett would find herself within the circle of a congenial society. The Dunraven family have always taken a prominent place in Glamorganshire politics. Charles Edwin, who was a Wyndham, but took the name of his mother, the daughter of Sir Humphrey Edwin, of Llanfihangel, re- presented the county in Parliament from 1780 to 1789. Thomas Wyndham, her son, represented Glamorganshire from 1789 to 1812. Edwin, Lord Adare, afterwards third Earl of Dunraven; was member for Glamorgan from 1837 to 1851. The election of 1837 was long remembered in Glamorgan. Mr. C. R. M. Talbot had been Liberal member since 1830. and when a second member was granted to Glamorgan he coalesced with- Sir John Guest for the purpose of contesting the county in the Radical interest against Lord Adare. The result was that Lord Adare de- feated Mr. Talbot's partner, and the election proved that if there had been another Conservative candidate in the field the attempt to carry Dowlais Liberalism on the back of Margam "Talbotism" would have de- prived Mr. Talbot of his seat. Mr. Talbot was one of the political mys- teries of his day. Professing Radicalism he was a Conservative to the backbone, and by dint of absenting himself from important di- visions, and by persuading his constituents to segard what he "Mid he was" rather than what he did, he managed both to retain his seat, and to avoid doing violence to his feel- ings for the long peroid of 59 years. To the Conservatives Mr. Talbot was a persona grata but it was nuite another matter when it came to electing Sir John Guest. Sir John Guest was rejected, and Lord Adare was returned and oontinued to sit till 1851.







JInteresting News from Bridgend.


[No title]