Hide Articles List

8 articles on this Page

To the Editor of the A ortk…

SEAT of the CAMPAIGN IN GERMANY.

News
Cite
Share

SEAT of the CAMPAIGN IN GERMANY. At Magdeburgh the French pretend they will stop the progress of the Russians and in the vicinity of that fortress, it is understood, Bonaparte means, if any where, again to try the fortune of war in a general battle. Mag deburg is considered a sort of internal Gibral- tar, requiring a vast army to form the si-e^e and a great length of time to reduce it.— The Prussian Governor surrendered it without making any defence, after the battle of Jena, being bribed, it is said, by Bonaparte and he was convicted and disgraced for his crime, after the termination of the war. TheFrench have ever since made it their grand depot, their place of arms and stores, and of assem- blage for their forces, with a view to maintain their acquisitions, and to carry on their recent ulterior designs for the conquest of Russia and Hie entire subjugation of tiie North. At pre- sent it constitutes their chief point of defence for, if they lose Magdeburg, they have no alternative but to repass the Hinne. Conse- quently, they have supplied it, as far as possi- ble, with the means of sustaining a long and vigorous siege but the garrison as well as that of Dantzic, suffers dreadfully from sick- ness, the consequence of the fatigue and ex- haustion of the i.tissian campaign. H is said that a deficiency of salt is felt as particularly distressing. The following articles contain some historical and statisticai particulars:: Magdeburg, a large, well-built and hading town of Lower Saxony, capital of a duchy of the same name. Among the public buildings are the King's Palace, anciently the residence of the Bishops, the armoury, the Governor's house, and the Guildhall, where the Regency and the Consistory arc beld. In the cathedral is a superb mausoleum of Otho the Great. The cathedral square is ornamented with hrg-e elegant houses, and its area is well paved,- Here are different manufactories ot cotton and linen goods, stockings, hats, beautiful leather gloves, tobacco, and snuff; but the principal are those of woollen and silk. It is happily situate for trade, having an easy communica lioll with Hamburgh by the Elbe, and t.ying on the road between Upper and Lower Ger- many. Jt was taken by storm in 1631, by the Imperial General Tilly, who burnt the town and massacred the inhabitants, of whom only 800 escaped out of 40,000 and many young women plunged into the Elbe to escape viola- tion, It is strongly fortified, having among other works, a citadel seated on an island in the river Elbe, and is 52 miles W. S. W. of Potsdam. Lat. 52. 11. N. long. 11, 45. E, Bremen, a duchy in the circle of Lower Saxony, the whole n vast plain, almost sur- rounded by the Weser and the Elbe, with Oidenburgh and the German Ocean on the west. It contains III Lutheran churches, and 137 pastors, under a general supcriutcnd- ant. The air is coid, but the country is well peopled, and fertile in grain, fruits, flax, &c. and produces large breeds of cattle. They have manufactures of Clrdage, linen, and woollen stuffs. H formerly wassubjed to the Swedes, but was conquered by the Danes in 1712, who transferred it together with Verden, to the Elector of Hanover, in 1715, for 700,000 rix dollars, and in 1719, the Crown of Sweden renounced all the rights and appurtenances of the two duchies, in favour of the Elector, George 1. of England, for a million of rix dollars. In lh. winter it is subject to inuuda- tions, and in 1617, several thousands of cattle were drowned, besides several hundreds of the inhabitants. The capital is Bremen, a large, populous and imperial city, sealed on the Weser.—Lat. 33. 6. N. long. 8.48. E.

BONAPARTE AND HIS SON. j

For the North Wales Gazelle.

-'t-TO THE ED! TOR,

---MINES IN THE BRAZILS, IN…

FROM THE LONDON GAZETTE.I

MISCELLANEOUS.