Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

10 articles on this Page









FATAL 1 ACCIDENT AT ABERYSTWYTH- I THREE MEN BURIED ALIVE. On Tuesday afternoon a terrible accident occurred 0:1 the Buarth Mawr, near the Railway Statiou, Aberystwyth, resulting in the immediate deiith of three workmen and 'serious injury to two others. Some time ago, vrhen the Cambrian Railweiy Company decided to extend the platforms at Aberystwyth Station, and to put in additional sidings to meet the increased traffic, they obtained permission f; om the owners of the Ruarth Mawr, a hillock which rises to the east of the station, for the purpose of filling up the extended platforms and sidings. The Company also obtained permission from the Aberystwyth Cor- poration to Jay rails across the Plas Crug road which separates the Buarth from the railway yard and sid- ings. A gap was made in the fences aud rails having been laid from the station yird to the quarry, the debris was placed in trucks, and then run across the field and road and on to the spot where the new sid- ing was being made some hundreds of yards up the line, and not far from the ticket collecting platform. The contract for the carting of the debris was let to Mr Abraham Williams, Aoerdovey, and his gang of men consisted of 14, all of whom were steady experi- enced workmen, and the majority of them were married, and had families. As the work of carting debris had been going on for some months, a hole of considerable tize had by Tuesday been excavated in the slope of Buarth Mawr. As the excavations pro- ceeded rails were laid down, so that the trucks might be taken up to the point where the newly-displaced debris lay. The five men who met with the sad acci- dent on Tuesday afternoon were working in the inner- most end of the excavation. The scene of the acci- dent lay on the south side of Trinity Church, and facing the station. The material which the men were working was for the most part of a very friabie nature, being mainly composed of sha.:y debris from an old stone quarry adjoining. The actual site of the accident,however, was composed of soil with a stratum of bluish ciay running a few yards below the surface. There was nothing in the nature and appearance of the soil that forbode dauger. Apparently it was a sufe place in which to work. Viewing the sides ot the excavation after the accident, they were quite perpendicular and looked as if there could be no pos- sibility of a further slip. In fact, the apparent sate ness of the ground added in the minds of all who saw it much to the sadness of the catastrophe. The five unfortunate men who suffered so seriously were working after dinner on Tuesday in excavating the debris, loading it into trucks, and then wheeling it on to the siding where it, was required for ballast. Between two and three o'clock they had been making preparations for a fall cf debris, and for that pur- pose bad made two side cuts and a holier about two yards in depth. There had been heavy showers in the morning, and the water might have got iuto a crevice behind the loosened ground and led to the fatal occurrence. About three o'clock upwards of 100 tons gave way without the slightest warning and five men who were working underneath were buried deep under the debris. The men were John James, Penrhyncoch, Evan Fi ancis;, lalybont, Owen Owens, Penal, John Lloyd, Welshpool, and John Mitohell, Penrhyococh. When the other workmen heard the fall and came running up, nothing was visible of the five men whose names are given above but the arm of one of them. The others were buried more or less deep under the debris, and it was at once seen that had those underneath escaped fatal injuries, they would be suffocated before they could be dug out. Medical men were at once sent for, and Dr Abraham Thomas, medical officer of health, soon arrived, fol- lowed by Dr Bonsall, the union medical officer. In the meantime the workmen had not lost a moment in their offorts to rescue their companions- alive. John Mitohell was got out, and was found to have escaped with a double frac:ure of the left leg. He was at- tended to by Dr Thomas, and taken off at once to the Aberystwyth Infirmary. John Lloyd was also got out anve but he was more seriously injured. Though the skin was uncut, the poor fellow's right thigh had been orushed, and he complained of difficulty in breathing and other injuries. The men dug with the greatest rapidity combined with caution to reach the Oodles, and presently they came upon the blackened face of oue of their comrades, whioh showed that he had died from suffocation, and that there was co hope of saving the other two. The remains were placed under a tarpaulin brought from the station. Presently the rescuers exhumed the body of a second, and about half-an-hour alter the accident they got out the body of a third. It is unnecessary to say that all three were beyond any hope of recovery. The bodies of the poor fellows were removed from the fatal spot with that beautiful care and reverence which workmen have for their unfortunate compani- ons in fatal accidents, and were eventually deposited in the mortuary on Penglaise Hill. The news of the accident spread quickly through the town, and in less than quarter of an hour hundreds of townspeople and visitors were at the quarry, and considerable vigil- ance was necessary to keep impulsive spectators from parts of the quarry which were thought to be still unsafe. The police were present and assisted in keeping order. The men killed were John James, of Penrhyncooh, married, with five children; Owen Owens, Pennal, married, with five children; and Francis, Talybont, married, with one child John Lloyd, a single man of Welshpool, had his breast badly crushed and his knee and leg broken. John Mitchell, the other injured man, who hailed from Cwmrhoidol. Aberffrwd, is married and has four children. His leg was broken. Mr Harry Bonsall. Cwm, waited upon the Mayor of the town (Mr Wm. Thomas), and the latter opened a subscription list for tbe widows and orphans, and a liberal response was made. Lady visitors, alao, staying on tbe Ter- race, on Tuesday evening went up and down the Promenade and succeeded in obtaining a large sum. THE INQUEST. The inquest touching the deaths of the men Owen Owens, Evan Francis, and John James was held in the Board Room of the Union Workhouse on Wednesday afternoon, before John Evans, Esq., coroner. The following, with other evidence, was given :-Llewelyn Griffiths, Brwncrug, Towyn, labourer, said he han been working in the baliast pit ten weeks. There were marks of a loose cut immediately opposite the entrance which had been made for a previous fall, and there was another loose cut on the side of the fall next to the station, the remains of which were to be seen now. It would be about 2! feet backwards at the base. The faoe of the side nearer Plas Crug is the same as it was before the fall. Before the loose out was made the face on that side of the pit ran in a straight line, perhap3 bulging out a little more about the middle where the fall took place. If the cross cut on the side which now remained was four feet deep he was not prepared to say it was not on the other side before the fall took place. He was filling the tram on Tuesday afternoon. Immediately before the fall he was going to fetch his ehovel which was partly buried at a fall at another part of the pit, and in passing he met Owen Owens, John Lloyd, John James, and Evan Francis standing talking together. When he was picking up the shovel with his back towards them he heard a shout and a fall. He was thrown across the tram rail and the other side of the pit. There was no one whose only duty it was to watch the fall, but David Evans was there very often and John James and John Mitchell used to go up very often. There was no one watching at the time the accident took place. There were no wedges on the top, and no one was thinking of having a fall until Wednesday. They were filling the tram with the earth already dug out with what was there already. At the end next to the loose cut on the Plac-orag side the men had dug underneath the fall to about three feet, taking off much more at the fir end. The earth where they were digging was a good deal looser than it was at the top. David Evans gave no warning that there was any danger. He had been up about five minutes before, and there were no signs of a fall, nor on the other side.- The Rev. Llewellyn Edwards said he had seen the 2-50 tiain off and was walking homeward down Plas Cru?. Saw Mr Jenkin Thomas, and saw the man with a truck. Seeing the men run he realized that there was an accident. He asked if a man was buried and was told yes. He then said The best thing I had better do is to go for a doctor." Wit- ness went for Dr. Thomas and returned. Dr. Thomas came and was soon followed by Dr. Bonsall Noticing Dr. Beddoes there witness suggested that he miht go to see the men at the Infirmary as undoubtedly those buried in the debris were dead. Dr. Beddoes replied No, I won't, you ghastly murderous Radioals." Witness was surprised, but made no reply. Dr. Beddoes went towards the pit. So far as he could see the men were busily at work and everything was done that could possibly be done to extricate the men buried. One or two of the men had been got out.—By the Foreman Dr. Beddoes did not go to the Infirmary.—Mr Morcam: Nor did he help to get the men out?—The Rev. Llewelyn Edwards said that Dr. Thomas and Dr. Bonsall arrived thete immediately and set to work. He had no idea that Dr. Beddoes had any objection to goinfr to the Infirlnary.-The jury brought in a verdict that the Cause of death was due to a large quantity of earth accidentally falling upo* the deceaseds whilst working." The jury added a rider that greater precautions shoald be taken in future when similar work is carried on. They attach no blame to anyone.