Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

18 articles on this Page


[No title]



SAD AFFAIR AT KERRY. Farmer Found Dead in a Brook. In last week's' Express' we announced the disappearance from his home the previous Wednesday night of Mr Wm. Evans (15), farmer, Cefnvastre, situate on the hill-side between Newtown and Kerry. The sequel was told at a Coroner's inquiry held at Kerry on Tuesday afternoon by Mr J. T. C. Gittins and a jury, of which Mr John Edwards, Cloddia, was chosen foreman. On Monday afternoon the body of the missing man was found in the Mule brook close by a footbridge which spans it a short way from the brick bridge on the highway between Kerry and Cloddia. Leading down to this footbridge from the bill on the Newtown side there is a footpath which takes tho pedestrian into the centre of the village. The Coroner said they were met to inquire into a matter sad and distressing to them all. The deceased was a neighbour of theirs, and they were all well acquainted with him. It was especially sad in consideration of the young family who had been loft without father or mother, and their sympathy went out to those young people in their trying bereavement. As far as he understood the deceased, William Evans, left home on Wednesday evening, telling one of his children that he was going out for a few minutes, but was not seen alive again. Informa- tion was given of his disappearance, and yesterday (Monday) his body was found in the Mule brook near Kerry. There could be do coubt, from the conversation he had had with the doctor, that the cause of death was drowning. He had not been assaulted. Upon that point the evidence would be quite clear, so that the jury could dismiss from their minds anything of that sort. It would be for them to consider how deceased got into the brook-whether he accidentally fell in in attempting to cross the footbridge, or whether it was intentional on his part. Richard Evans, Caebetin, brother of the deceased, said he last saw him on Wednesday morning by Gilfach farm about 10-30. Deceased had been to Kerry station, and was going home. He appeared all right, and not in any way depressed. They had an ordinary conversation together, and he did not complain of being poorly. Although deceased took a drop to drink at the fair he was a temperate man. He was sober that morning. Witness saw him on the Tuesday morning. His brother never gave him the idea of being depressed or melancholy, nor had he ever said he was tired of life. He had no worries so far as witness knew. Deceased's wife pre- deceased him between four and five years ago, and he had left five children. The place where the body was found would be on deceased's nearest way to Kerry from Cefnvastre. jeanme Evans, the eldest daughter of deceased, said that last Wednesday her father was not very well. He suffered from his heart; and had been complaining for some time. He also complained of his head about three weeks ago, which, he said, felt heavy. On Tuesday he was at Newtown, but she did not see him when he returned home. On the Wednesday morning he got up about seven o'clock, and then cojaplained of pains. That morning he went to Kerry station with the horse and cart, and did not, take anything to eat after he returned between eleven and twelve o'clock He was at home all that day lying down in bed About tea time he got up, but subsequently went back to bed. He made no complaint at tea- time, and after being out a few minutes returned to bed. He got up again between 8-30 and nine o'clock, and sat down by the fire. About 9-30 h. got up, and said he wanted to go for a little stroll, and would be back pretty soon. He asked witness to go to bed, and not to lock the door, but simply to put the chair behind it. He did not tell her where he was going, and she retired to bed without feeling alarmed at all. Her father then seemed all right; and was cheerful and sober. About seven o'clock the following morning she got up, and found that he was not at home. She searched, but having failed to find him informed some friends. She had never missed her father before. He had gone out frequently J about that time before, and she did not know where. Sometimes on Tuesday nights he would go out, but would come back very soon, although he never said where he had been. If he cime home the worse for drink he would sometimes go to Kerry. On this Wednesday evening he did not say he was going to Kerry or anywhere else. When he went to Kerry on an evening like that he would go round the Newtown road. She did not think he ever went the other way he had taken that night. She saw him that night going up the orchard towards the Newtown main road, but beyond the orchard he could take either way. She had never heard that her father had any quarrel with anybody, and she never saw him melancholy or depressed. He was always cheerful. The Coroner: Did you notice his face on Wednesday ? Witness: Yes, in the morning. It seemed scratched and swollen. Her father said he had fallen down oa his way home from Newtown. The Coroner Was he often the worse for drink ? Witness: No; occasionally. John Davies (postman), Glascoed, said he knew deceased very well, and he saw him last on the previous Saturday week. Having heard that he was missing, witness assisted in the search. On Monday he was going home about 12-30, and when crossing the river Mule by the footbridge, hap- pened to look down into the brook. He saw some- thing like a bag, and on looking mora particularly observed a man's head, and then getting into the field he could see the body in the water plainly It was lying face downwards, part of the head and back being uncovered with water. He was lying at the side of the brook and the face was resting on the hands. Witness went for assistance and returned with Mr Evans, of the Post Office, and Richard Watts. Dr Wilson arrived on the scene before they got the body out of the water. They conveyed it on a stretcher to Kerry. Directly they got it out they identified it as that of Wil- j liam Evans, Cefnvastre. By the Foreman: No hat was found. Deceased had always appeared very cheery. Dr Wilson said he knew deceased and he was his medical attendant. He had only had an odd bottle of medicine from him, as be was rarely ill. Witness often met him on the Vastre, and saw him the previous Monday and spoke to him, and also on Tuesday. He considered that deceased was about the last man who would take his life. as he was always cheerful and worshipped his home and his family. He bad done his best for the family since his wife's death. The doctor then described the appearance of the body after it was found. The clothes were all intact and noth- ing torn. There were some bruises on the face such as had been spoken of by the daughter. The body had been in the water a good many hours. It was simply a case of drowning. Deceased was shortsighted and very bad on his feet, and it would have been easy for him to have made a mistake and fallen into the brook. Had the body been washed away some distance the clothes would have been torn, and theie was not sufficient water in the brook to take down a heavy body. Several of the jurymen and others remarked that they had rarely seen deceased in Kerry of an evening P.C. Hopkins said he searched the body and found a pipe, a knife and threepence. The jury found that deceased had met his death by drowning through accidentally falling into the brook.

[No title]


[No title]


[No title]

Mr. E. Powell on Congregational…

[No title]


[No title]


[No title]


Pressure in County Schools.