Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

5 articles on this Page



CARDIGANSHIRE QUARTER SESSIONS. 't The Alleged Cattle Stealing. A LONG SITTING. The Cwmrheidiol Shebeen- ing Case. DECISION OF THE LLANILAR MAGISTRATES QUASHED. The court of quarter sessions for the county of Cardigan was held at the Town Hall, Lampeter, on Thursday last, the Chairman (Mr J. W. Willis Band) presiding. The other magistrates present were Messrs Thomas Griffiths, Aberystwyth J. H. Davies, Cwrtmawr; D. J. Williams, Tregaron; Major Pryce Lewes, Tyglyn Aeron; Messrs W. Inglis Jones, Derry Ormond Thomas Davies, Pantvbeudy Hall; T. H. R. Hughes, Neuaddfawr; and J. E. Rogers, Abermeurig. PRISON VISITORS. Sir Marteine Lloyd and Mr H. Tobit Evans, the two visiting justices to His Majesty's Prison, Car- marthen, presented their report, which stated that they had visited the prison and found everything in good order and the premises exceedingly clean. No complaints were made to them by any prisoner from this county. On the proposition of the Chairman, seconded by Major Lewes, the report wasvadopted. Sir Marteine Lloyd and Mr H. Tobit Evans were re-appointed visiting justices to His Majesty's Prison for the ensuing year. THE GRAND JURY. The following gentlemen were sworn on the grand jury:—Messrs Daniel Davies, Blaenplwyf; John Jones, Penuwch; J. Samuel Davies, Llan- ddwy, Llan £ hangel-croyddin-issa; W. S. Davies, Old Castle Farm John Evans, Caemorgan; David Griffiths, Finch-square, Cardigan; J. T. Jones, Pier-street; Thomas Jones, Northgate-street; John Lloyd, Trinity-road; James Morgan, Pier-street; F. A. Rice, Lisburne-terrace; and J. W. Thomas, Great Darkgate-street, Aberystwyth John Wil- liams, Nantliofawr; Samuel Jones, Dolgoy, Llan- granog; Thamas Devonald and T. Griffiths, Tre- windsor Factory, Llangoedmore; Jonah Williams, Llanafan; Thomas Evans, Brynperfedd, Ystrad Meurig; John Thomas, Frondele, New Quay (fore- man) John Enoch, Cilgynllufach, Llanina and E. Lewis Jones, Tancastell, Llanychaiarn. TRUE BILLS. The Grand Jury brought in true bills against Ann Davies, Llangeitho, and John Davies, of Penparc, Cardigan. THE PETTY JURY. The following gentlemen were empanelled on the Petty Jury: Messrs George Rees, "Welsh Gazette' Nelson Nelson. Bath-street; W P E Jones, schoolmaster; David Lloyd, builder (fore- man) E W Lewis, car proprietor, and W H Mor- gan, Aberystwyth; Benj. George, Bath House; D T Evans, 52, Pendre. Wm Davies. 51 Pendre. and Thomas Fraccis, St Mary-street, Cardigan Eben. Davies, Cynonfawr, Llanfihangel-croyddin-issa; and Evan Evans, Morfa-gwyn, New Quay. z, ALLEGED FRAUDULENT BAILEE. John Davies, of Penparc, Cardigan, labourer, was charged with that he, being the bailee of a certain overcoat and a pair of gloves, the property of David James Jenkins, Aberporth, did fraudulently convert the same to his own use on the 19th Dec.— Mr J. Bowen Davies (instructed by Mr R W Picton Evans, Cardigan) appeared for the prosecution the prisoner being undefended. Mr Bowen Davies, in opening the case, said on the 19th December last, prisoner called upon the prosecutor, who resided at Ffrwdganol, Aberporth. The prosecutor was not at home. but his mother was there. Prisoner was known to the family, and, it being a very dark and rainy night, the good old lady, prosecutor's mother, lent him an overcoat, in which were a pair of gloves. As the prisoner did not return the goods as promised, information was given to the police, who arrested him at Newcastle Emlyn. There he told the police that he was going to Merthyr, and that he had left the goods at Mwntmawr. The police went to Mwntmawr, but found that the goods were not there. David James Jenkins, the prosecutor, Ffrwd- ganol, Aberporth, said that he was not at home when the prisoner called, and the coat and gloves produced were those lent by. his mother. On the 26th December, he gave information to the police, and went to see [he prisoner, in company with P.C. Davies, on the 27th. They saw the prisoner, who was wearing the articles. Sarah Jenkins. mother of the prosecutor, said she was at home on the 19th December last, when the prisoner called at her, house. She had known him for many years, be having been born close by. She IsL* him a coat, in which was a pair of gloves. He promised to return them that night, but he never came back. P.C. David Davies, Aberportb, said that informa- tion was given him on the 26th December, and from enquiries made about the prisoner, he met him near Tynllwyn. Witness asked him where he was going and he replied, to Merthyr. When ? To-morrow. He was dressed in a top coat. Witness told him that David James Jenkins came to him and gave information about a coat and gloves. Prisoner re- plied that be had left them at Mwntmawr with the servant, who promised to return then: to the owner. Witness went to Mwntmawr, and! found that the articles were not left there. In company of the pro- secutor, they went to Newcastle Emlyn, and there saw the prisoner going towards Llandyfriog. He apprehended him, and charged him with stealing the coat and gloves which he wore. He cautioned him in the usual way, and the prisoner said, It can't be helped I don't care what will come of it." He then conveyed him to Cardigan. Before the magistrates he said. I do not wish to say any- thing. I do not wish to call any witnesses." The prisoner then went into the box, and said that when he had the loan of the coat from Mrs Jenkins it was raining heavily, and he wanted to go to Mwntmawr. The "servant at the latter place asked him to stay overnight, but he wanted to go further. On the following day he met a brother, and be was all the time thinking about returning the coat. He met someone every day, and put off returning it. He had no intention ot stealing the coat, as he had been in the neigh- bourhood for a week. The Jury, after a few minutes' consultation, said they could not agree. The Chairman-Can I assist you ? The Foreman—The question is whether his in- tention was to take away or keep the coat. The Chairman-That is the question. What you will have to decide is, whether the prisoner in- tended committing the theft-whether he intended keeping the coat for his own use, or whether he intended returning it. The jury then retired into an ante-room, and soon brought back a verdict of "Not guilty." The prisoner was then discharged, and left the room hurriedly. THE TREGARON CATTLE LIFTING CASE. Ann Davies, late of Gilfachgwyddil, Llangeitho, who appeared on bail was chaiged with stealing a cow value P.11, the property of John Davies, Tyn- gwndwn (her father-in-law) on the 12th November, also with stealing two calves value £ 7, the property of John Davies, Gilfachgwyddil (her husband) on the 12th November. Mr Stanley Griffith Jones (instructed by Messrs Smith, Davies, and Co..of Aberystwyth),appeared for the prosecution, and Mr J Lloyd Morgan, M.P. (in- structed by Mr A J Hughes, Aberystwyth), ap- peared for the defence. The following persons composed the Petty Jury in this case,-Messrs Jas Davies, New Mill; Jas Lewis, Chapel-street; David Thomas, Catherine- row Thos Davies, Verwick, Cardigan Evan Dav- ies, Foelyfron D Davies, Frondeg, Llanychaiarn; E Evans, Pantllefrith, Ystradmeurig; Wm James, Thos Hughes, Gilwern; Joseph Griffiths, Glandua, Llangranog; S Griffiths, Hafodlwyd; Thos Griffiths, Caergwenllvn; Stephen Jones, Tandre, Ystradmeurig; and W H Jones Little Darkgate- street, Aberystwyth (foreman). The accused pleaded "not guilty." Mr Jones in opening the case said that things were rather unpleasant in this case as the prose- cutor and accused were relations. At the time of the theft the prisoner was staying at Gilfach- gwyddil. The father-in-law had not spoken to her for the last seven years. The prosecutor in April last went to Aberayron, and purchased a cow, and brought it back to Tyngwndwn. It was arranged that if the son would keep the cow, he should have the milk, and on those terms the cow was brought to Gilfachgwyddil, the son's farm. On the 11th ^ovember, prisoner's husband, who is a cattle dc^ipr, went, as usual, to attend fairs in Pembroke- shire, and left the farm in charge of his son and daughter. On that very night, about 12 p.m., the prisoner took away the cow and two calves un- known to any of the family, to Aberystwyth, and sold them to Mrs Michael Evans, for half their value. She was assisted in driving the cow and two calves by a person named Kelly, of Blaenpennal, who received 5s for his work. Before starting Kelly asked the accused where her husband was, and she replied that he knew everything about it, and was away in England. They arrived at Aber- ystwyth about 1 p.m. next day, and the cattle were offered to Mrs Morgan, of Aberayron, and Mrs Parry, of Aberystwyth, but these having refused, they were sold to Mrs Michael Evans. The accused paid Kelly, and she then went to London. In the meantime, the children bad discovered the loss of the animals, and they at once sent for their father, who went to Aberystwyth, there saw the animals, brought them back, and gave information to the police, with the result that accused was arrested in London. John Davies (senior), Tyngwndwn, Bettws Leiki, father-in-law of the accused, said he remembered 10th April last being at Aberayron, where he bought a cow and a calf. He there sold the calf, and brought the cow home, with the assistance of another person. He lent the cow to his son in six or eight weeks afterwards for milkin-I purposes, and it was then taken to Gilfachgwyddil by his son and grandson. He bad seen the cow at the Royal Oak Hotel, Lampeter, that day, and that was the one he bought, which he now valued| J at P.8, The prisoner was his daughter-in-law, and they had not spoken to one another for seven or eight years. He saw her seven years and seven months ago at his wife's funeral, but did not speak to her.—Cross-examined by Mr Morgan, witness said that they lived four and a half miles apart. He had not been up to her farm for ten years until a few days ago.—He was not accustomed to lend his son animals. Witness' farm was a small farm with three cows, but two were enough. He often bought cattle, but did not buy them for the use of other people, but he had lent his son two or three. He lent the cow in May, as his son had no milking cow, and had a let of grazing land. His son had no stock; he was unable to keep any. as his wife (the prisoner) was selling them. He did not care how long his son would keep the cow, as long as he (witness) had it back before the winter. No Mrs Jones ever saw him speaking lately to the prisoner, and he had not prevented that Mrs Jones coming there that day. He admitted that there was bad feeling existing, as he (witness) did not like people who drank, and ran up and down to London, His daughter-in-law had not stocked his son's farm at all. He did not know that Mr Davies, solicitor, had cashed her Z28. In reply to the Chairman, witness said he first heard of this theft on the 18th November at Llangeitho fair. The landlady of the tavern at Llangeitho first told him, and he then went that day to inform the police. He applied for a warrant on the following Tuesday. His son had not asked him to take pro- ceedings.—Roderick Evans, Llygad-dyffryn, Llan- geitho, cattle dealer, said he was at the Aberayron fair in April last, and saw the old man, John Davies, buying a cow. He (witness) assisted him in bringing the cow home to Tyngwndwn, and the one at Lampeter that day was the one taken home.— Cross-examined by Mr Morgan, witness said that he was asked to identify the cow by the police, who told him that he was going to see the stolen cow. He saw the cow on 21st December, but not once I between April and that date. This witness was closely examined by the Chair- man as to how he could so well identify the cow, and he replied, by the horns, half of which were black, and the remainder white. John Davies, the husband of the accused, residing at Gilfachgwyddil. said he bad seen a cow at the Royal Oak that day which was the property of his father. He bad that cow in his charge on his farm. It was lent by his father so that he might get some milk. It was on his farm on the 11th of November, when he went away to attend fairs in Pembroke- shire. He left his home in charge of his son and daughter, and his wife was 41so there. He had a letter from his children stating that the cow bad been taken away, and he at once came home.- Cross-examined t'y Mr Morgan, witness said that he told his wife before leaying that the cow belonged to his father. In May his wife won an action, but he could not say how much money she received. His wife came back to reside with him after the Tregaron Sessions and since they had lived together, He was living at Gilfachgwyddil when his wife won the action, but he could not say that she had L50, but he only heard of £ 28. She did not leave him owing to his cruelty and misconduct since he bad been at Gilfachgwyddil. She bad been going away un- known to him for two or three days. They had a separation order made once, but he did not know on what ground, as the summons did not say on what ground. She might have alleged cruelty and misconduct. He (witness) had never had a child from anybody with the exception of her. He had been before the magistrates in London for selling margarine without a label, and was fined £ 5. A policeman once came down from London to Aberystwyth for him on another charge, jut he won that case. He had not been in trouble for many years, but he might have been on for trespass- ing, At Carmarthen, he was fined for travelling on the line without a ticket within the last twelve months. He bad no stock on his farm when his wife came down from London. He now had a horse, which he valued at E10. Mr Morgan said he would not give ten shillings for it. His wife did not buy a cow from his father. He sold a cow at Tregaron fair for P.9 5s which bad been on Gilfachgwyddil farm for about nine days. He had bought one of these calves at Tregaron market. He did not tell Mrs Edwards, Railway Hotel, that he had taken £3 5s from his wife, as she had sold the calves. They were the same calves as she was now charged with stealing. He admitted that some of his furnitnre, when residing at Cwmdu. was sold by the sheriff, but he stored some in Cwmgwenin. The furniture at Cwmdu sale was bought by his wife's father.— In reply to Mr S. G. Jones His wife had prev- iously sold calves to Mrs Edwards, Railway Hotel, but he bought them back. A few years ago she sold a cow. When in London be went away buying cattle, and his wife looked after the shop. This was the time when he was selling margarine. John Davies (son of the accused), said he remembered his father going away to the Pem- brokeshire fairs, and leaving the place in charge of himself and his sister, but his mother was also there. His mother took the cattle away between twelve and one o'clock at night. Witness was not up at that time. He had gone to bed at nine o'clock, and woke up at seven o'clock next morning and found that the cattle had been taken away. He told the police next morning. The cow at Lampeter that day belonged to his grandfather. William Kelly, farm servant at Blaenpennal, was the next witness. He said that he saw the pri- soner on the 11th November about five o'clock, when she came to his house. She asked him to assist in taking some cattle to Aberystwyth. He asked her where was her husband, and she replied, He is in England he knows all about it." They agreed to go to Aberystwyth. and he (witness) was to receive five shillings for his work. He arranged to meet her at four o'clock in the morning at the finger post. She came about twelve "o'clock, and asked him to start at once, as she had to meet a Mrs Morgan at seven. Tbey:started on]their journey and arrived at Aberystwyth at one o'clock. They offered the cow to Mary Parry, Trefechan, and Mrs Morgan, Skinner's Arms, but they refused to buy it. saying that they would have nothing to do with it. He slept at Aberystwyth that night, and in the meantime she told him that the cow had been sold. She paid him 5s, and he went home. He did not know the accused personally, but his wife bad been a servant with her. Cross-examined, witness said that she asked him to go to Aberystwyth that same night. He did not hear anything of the bargain. P.C. Thomas Jones, Llangeitho, said that'from information received he went to Aberystwyth on the 28th November last, accompanied by the son of the accused, and in a cowshed in Trefechan they found the cow. Davies and he took possession of it and brought it back to Gilfacbgwyddil. On the 2nd December, he received the accused into cus- tody in London, and, having cautioned her. she re- plied, -1 Everything at Gilfacbgwyddil belongs to me with the exception of the pigs and bedsteads- I bad the cow, which I bought from my father-in- law, changed at Tregaron.—Cross-examined She had surrendered herself at Scotland Yard, Mrs Davies, the prisoner, who gave evidence on her own behalf, said that she came from London twelve months last September to reside at Gilfach- gwyddil. When in London her husband had been in about 30 shops in three years time. When she came down there was no stock, only one horse, worth £1. The other stock was bought by her with the money which she had obtained through an action. She cashed the cheque in the presence of Mr Davies, solicitor, at Tregaron. She bought a cow in April last from her father-in-law, and obtained a receipt, but it had been lost. She paid him Z9. and took it to Gilfachgwyddil. As it only milked some 3t pints of milk, her husband told her that he could buy a better and cheaper cow than she could, and he then bought one at Tregaron, and that was the one which was at Lampeter. She also bought a calf in May, and another one later, for £2 10s. She reckoned that she had £1310 in the cattle. Her poor father bought their furniture at the sheriff's sale at Cwmdu. Her husband told her that he took these proceedings against her because she gave evidence against his brother at Scotland Yard.— Cross-examined, accused said that the cow which she bought from her father-in-law had longer horns, and was older. That was changed instead of this one. Her son was in South Wales when she bought the cow. The cow was brought back to Tyngwndwn with a calf, which was in a cart. Her daughter saw the receipt, which read received £9 from Annie Davies." She asked her father-in-law for 10s at Llangeitho as luck. She had spoken to him on several occasions at Tregaron. Her son Johnny saw her speaking to him at Fronfelen. They krn^w that she was taking away the cow, and told her husband that she had a buyer, She told her husband this before he went away, and that was the reason why he watched her. She took it to Aberystwyth, as she knew the place well, and sold it to them for £6 10s. She went by night as it was a long distance. She went into a situa- tion in London, and when she heard that a warrant was issued for her arrest she surrendered herself at Scotland Yard. In reply to the Chairman, the accused said that she told her husband that she intended going away for good. After theaddrees of counsel, the jury retired to consider their verdict, and brought in a verdict of Guilty." The prisoner then commenced to cry bitterly, and when asked if she had anything to say said that she could call God as a witness her own conscience was clear. In reply to the Chairman, Mr Stanley G. Jones said that with regard to the sentence be left it in the hand of the Court, but applied for the restitu- tion of the property. The Chairman in delivering the sentence said, it was not a case for severe sentence, but if the prisoner promised to be of good behaviour the Court would only bind her over in the sum of £20 to come up for judgment if called upon. The charge of stealing twocalves was withdrawn. William Cann, foreman ganger of the Vale of Rheidiol Railway, appealed against the decision of the Llanilar magistrates in October last, when he was fined for selling beer without a license. Mr Stanley Griffith Jones appeared for the respondents, and Mr J Lloyd Morgan, M.P. (instruct- ed by Mr Hugh Hughes, Aberystwyth), for the appellant. Mr Stanley Jones, in opening the case, said that on the 5th October last the appellant, Wm Cann, was fined £5 and costs by the Llanilar magistrates for selling beer without a license and was also ordered to pay costs for the second offence on the 16th. The appellant came to the neighbourbood some months ago, and lived at Gamlin House, Cwmrheid- iol, where he gave lodgings to a number of navvies. After he had lived there some time, P C. Owen ob- served large quantities of beer going up to the house, which instead of being taken along the usual road, was taken via Capel Seion, although the road via Penllwyn was the better road. On the 5th October, P.C. Owen concealed himself opposite the window, and could see into the room, as the blind was not down quitejto the bottom. He there saw four men, besides Cann and his wife. About eight o'clock in the evening he heard one of the men say to Mrs Cann Here Missus, bring us some beer." Mrs Cann left the room, and returned with a jug of beer. Later, he heard one of the men say Jack, now its your turn to pay." Another jug was brought in. Three of these men were strangers. On the 16th October, Owen, having informed the police authorities, was again asked to keep a watch, in company of Police Constable's Davies and Row- lands. Davies this time stationed himself opposite the window, and observed the men applying for drink. He saw Mrs Cann as before going for the beer into a back room. The constables afterwards knocked at the door, and read the warrant to Cann. Mrs Cann made strenuous efforts to prevent them getting in. Inside, they found two full barrels of beer,-and in another room another barrel half full, which they took possession of. Mr Lloyd Morgan said the only point was as to whether or not there had been a sale. He main- tained that the people clubbed together, as was the custom among navvies of this sort. P.C. Owen, stationed at Goginan, stated that on Saturday, October 5th, be watched Gamblin House, being suspicious that a sale of beer was being carried on there. He several times saw beer taken to the house. On the second occasion it was taken along a by-road, the usual way being via Penllwyn, where there was a better road, whereas the other was very rough. He stopped opposite the house, looked under the window blind, which was four inches up, and saw a number of navvies inside. He heard one of the men say, Missus, bring in one b- can of beer." He saw Mrs Cann enter and bring in some beer, and one of the navvies said, I'll pay for it Missus." In about ten or fifteen minutes one of them said, Jack, its your turn now to pay far a b- can of beer." Then one of them said, Here you are, Mrs Cann, a tanner; but you had better take these coppers," and he afterwards could hear the tinkling of money. In about fifteen minutes he saw three men come out under the influence of drink, and go towards Aberdeuddwr, where they lodged. On the 16th October he again watched the house, in company of P.C's. Davies and Rowlands, Davies this time was at the window. In consequence of what Davies told him, they went in and knocked at the door. Mrs Cann came to the door and asked who was there. He replied that he was a constable in plain clothes, and had a warrant to search the house. He saw inside four men besides Mr and Mrs Cann. He read the warrant, but the wife interrupted him all the time. They went into a back room and found two 9-gallon casks full. He took the four casks away, but Mr Cann said he wanted some beer for supper. Two of these casks were brought up on the previous day along the Penllwyn road. There were old sacks and rugs over them. Aberdeuddwr was an old cottage unoccupied until these navvies came to the district. Cross-examined by Mr Morgan Only one man lodged with Cann on the 5th October. The casks were always carried in after dark. The nearest public house was about mile-and-a-quarter away. There was a noise in the house on the 5th. All seemed to be merry. He could see the room from under the window blind. The door was locked. Mrs Cann stood against him, and tried to prevent him from entering. The beer was kept under the stairs, as well as 30 or 40 loaves of bread, for she kept a small shop. There had been six lodgers at tht^ house, but only one on this night. He entered the date in his book, but he had not got the book with hiin that day. P.C. Davies, Llanbadarn, said he remembered 15th October, when, according to instructions, he went to Gamblin House, and took up a position near the window. He could see into the room, as the blind was a little up, and there he saw Mrand Mrs Cann and three men. Mr Cann bad a jug, and three of the men had pints near the fireplace. Mrs Cann brought the beer from the pantry. He called Owen, who knocked at the door The door was not open, it was locked. Mrs Cann opened the door, and asked Owen who he was, and he replied that he wao: an officer in plain clothes. They went in, and took the four casks away. Cross-examined: When he arrived there, it was seven p.m. Mrs Cann was rather long before she came to the door, There was no attempt to conceal the pots, as they had no time. He heard a lot of talk, but no talk about the sale. He saw nearly everything inside. He was there for an hour, but saw no payment. This was the case for the prosecution. Mr Lloyd Morgan said that his case was that there had been no sale. To account for the men in the house on October 5th, appellant said Mrs Cann had been to Aberystwyth purchasing goods for them, The men paid for their goods, but not for beer. As they had a long distance to walk to the public-house, the navvies clubbed for beer, each paying 3s, and Mrs Cann Is 6s, and that accounted for the presence of the beer in the house. If there had been a sale of drink in the presence of a con- stable who had a full view of tin place, he ought to have heard the jingling of money, but the last witness said he saw no money pass at all. William Cann (the appellant) said he had been in the employ of Messrs Pethick and Sons, con- tractors, for thirteen years. He took Gamblin House with the intention of taking lodgers. On the 29th September there were only two lodgers, but on the next morning four more came in. During that week a suggestion was made to him to get them beer and it was agreed to get some, each man paying 3s. for two nine gallons casks. He and his wife went to buy them on the 5th from Roberts's Brewery at Aberystwyth. It was nearly ten o'clock when they got' home, and afterwards they tapped the casks. The men joined in the drinking but paid nothing. On the following Saturday they again clubbed for beer. This time there were four men in the house, who paid 4s. a head. The door of the house was not locked. It was old fashioned and stiff, and dozens could not open it. Cross-examined: Appellant said that they had always kept lodgers and always adopted the system of buying beer between them. The men were not drunk, but were in what he would call "a fair way." Mrs Fanny Cann said that she was with her husband at Aberystwyth on October 5th and left there at 7-45, arriving home at 9-45 p.m. On their return they saw the lodgers and two other strangers in the house, who came for goods. She brought some herrings with her, and they had supper. The men paid for the goods which she bought at Mr Edward Evans', draper, but paid for no beer. She went on the 12th without her husband, and bought two more barrels. Each man gave the money before she started. She brought back the casks and made no concealment at all. She did not try to prevent the constable, but asked for his authority, as she thought she was entitled to. She then lit the candle and showed him the house. Cross-examined by Mr Jones: Witness said all the men were friends. They had no beer with her. They left before eleven o'clock, and were a little tipsy. She received money for the goods bought at Aberystwyth. They never called Missus," but landlady." She had only been once on the bye- road. She did not leave Aberystwyth until 7-45. In reply to the Chairman, witness said she always kept the key. John Brown, navvy, said he remembered the 29th September, when six men were in the house. He was one of Cann's lodgers, and he remembered the suggestion made that they should join for beer. On the following Saturday, he put down 3s. He was in the house when the Canns came home from Aberystwyth about 945 p.m. There were others in the house, who waited for some goods from Aberystwyth, which Mrs Cann brought. Cross-examined—He did not see any money pass that night. He saw the men leave the house that night rather "tight." He did not remember a re- mark being made to "bring in the oeer." Albert Nelson, draper's assistant at Mr Edward Evans', Great Darkgate.street, Aberystwyth, said he remembered that on Saturday, October 5th, Cann and his wife called at the shop. He remembered the date, as it was the first Saturdaythe shops were closed at eight. Mrs Cann was in the shop about five o'clook, and came for the goods before eight o'clock. Mr Lloyd Morgan said that this was an important matter, as the constable said he was outside the house at eight o'clock, and this last witness saw de- fendant a few minutes before eight at Aberystwyth. If this evidence was correct, where did the evi- dence of the police go If the constable bad booked the time, surely lie should have brought his diary with him. The evidence of the constable was strongly corroborative of his (Mr Morgan's) evidence. As far as the 16th was concerned, there was no evidence as to whether there was a sale. The Chairman remarked that the evidence as to the boots, paper, ice., which Mrs Cann had bought, did not fit in with the remark as to the tanner heard by the police, but possibly that could have had reference to the payment for bread. Mr Lloyd Morgan said there had been no attempt at concealment. The Chairman said that had he heard the case in the first instance he certainly thought be should not have convicted. The appeal would be allowed, each party to pay its own costs. This concluded the business, and the Court rose at 6 20 p m.



I IThe Day of Miracles not…