Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

7 articles on this Page

JT:._----------------_-_.…

News
Cite
Share

JT Deatb of mr. 3. 6. UI. Boitsall, froitfraltl). After a long and honourable life. the respected Squire of Fronfraith, Mr J. G. W. Bonsall, passed suddenly away at his residence on Thursday after- ,1100n last. He had attained the ripe age of 83 years, but although so far in the sere and yellow of life, the unabated vigour and interest he dis- played to the very end of his days in all matters with which he was connected, whether public or private, was the astonishment of all who knew bine. Perhaps the institution which gained his greatest attention and support in public life was the Aberystwyth Infirmary and Cardiganshire General Hospital, of which he had been president for a great many years. His devotion to its wel- fare is proved by the fact that on the evening of the day preceding his death he gave instructions .to his coachman to have the carriage ready for the following day to convey him to Aberystwyth to attend a meeting of the Management Committee. At six o'clock on Thursday morning, however, he was stricken with a serious illness. Dr. T. D. Harries, Aberystwyth, was immediately summoned, and everything which medical skill could devise was done for the patient, but all to no purpose, for he passed peacefully away at 2-30 the same after- noon. Mr. John George William Bonsall was the second son of the late Rev. Isaac Bonsall, M.A., R.D., rector of Llanwrin, Montgomeryshire, and of Catherine, daughter of the late Rev. J. Davies, M.A., R.D., rector of Comma es, of the same county. He was born May 18th, 1817, at Llanbrynmair Rectory, and was the descendant of a family long connected with Cardiganshire. He was a grandson of the late Sir Thomas Bonsall, who was a J.P. for the county and also deputy lieutenant. Preparatory to enter- ing the legal profession, he was educated at Shrews- bury School. Remaining there for a few years, he afterwards established himself as a solicitor at Machynlleth. Here lie secured a wide practice, and distinguished himself by his keen insight into, and capable handling of. intricate points of the law. In May, 1853, he married Frances, daughter of the late Mr Joseph Davies, of Galltyllan, Mont- gomeryshire. About a year later he came to reside at Fronfraith, the home of his ancestors. The house is admirably situated upon rising ground, and stands # about lialf-a-mile off the main road from Aberystwyth to Talybont. It has a spacious lawn in front and the stately trees which surround it just allow of a view of the beautiful Rheidol Valley, which it overlooks. Mr Bonsall was created a justice of the peace for Cardiganshire in 1856. and his intimate knowledge of the law made him well-qualified to occupy the position. He sat regularly at the Llanbadarn Sesssions up to the time of his death, and was chairman of the justices for that district for a great many years. He was one of the oldest justices in the county of Cardigan, his period of public service in this respect extending tb 44 years. He also qualified as a justice of the peace for Mont- gomeryshire in 1867, and was a regular figure upon the magistrates' bench at Machynlleth. For the year 1866 he was high-sheriff of the county of Cardiganshire, and the duties of the office were efficiently and faithfully discharged by him. He also occupied a seat on the Llanbadarn School Board, the members of which body honoured him with the position of chairman for many years. As previously stated, the Aberystwyth Infirmary claimed a large share of his attention. Since its inception, or, at any rate, for 50 years, he has taken a leading hand in promoting its success. He was most regular in his attendance at all committee and general meetings, and was one of the trustees under the Joseph and Jan.e Downie's Bequest since it came into operation in 1880. For a great number of years also he was chairman of the Infirmary, and as in all other public offices which he undertook, per- formed the work in this case zealously and with a high motive. The Infirmary has lost a true friend and a firm supporter. Deceased was a strong church- man, and a staunch Conservative, yet his views were by no means narrow, and he treated other people's convictions with due respect. In his early life he took a great and active interest andpolitics, and had been often asked to stand for the county, but he never accepted the distinction. Perhaps, the most important occasion when he figured prominently in politics was during the election of 1880, when he worked energetically on behalf of the Conservative candidate, Mr. T. E. Lloyd, Coed- mor, in opposition to the Liberal candidate, Mr. L. P. Pugh, Abermaide. By his marriage Mr. Bonsall had-two sons and three daughters. The eldest son and heir is Mr. John J. Bonsall, of Galltllan, who is a justice of the peace for Montgomeryshire and Cardiganshire, and a major in the Royal Cardigan Artillery. The other son is Mr. Hugh Bonsall, of Peithyll, also a justice of the peace for Montgomery, a major in the Royal Cardigan Artillery, and a member of the Cardiganshire County Council. The daughters are Mrs. Gallenger, Mrs. Leir, Cwmcoedwig; and Miss M. C. Bonsall. Mrs. Bonsall died in November, 1896, and was buried in the family vault at Llanbadarn Church- yard. During his later years Mr. Bonsall bad suffered considerably from failing eyesight, but otherwise he was remarkably active for one of his advanced age. He lived the life of a country squire, was a warm supporter of all branches of sport, and in all countyn- matters took a practical interest. THE FUNERAL. The funeral took place on Tuesday morning, the interment being made in the family vault at Llan- badarn Churchyard. Shortly before 11 o'clock, a large concourse of people, comprising members of public bodies, tenants, and the general public assembled in front of the house. The day was gloriously fine, and on all hands—along the hedge- rows and in the fields—the silent voice of nature showed signs of returning spring. Shortly after 11 o'clock, the funeral cortege started from the house toward Llanbadarn in the following order:— County Police. Clergy and Ministers. County and Borough Councillors and Guardians. County and Borough Magistrates, including their Clerks, and other Legal Practitioners Trustees, Management Committee, and Staff of the Aberystwyth Infirmary. Tehants (who acted as bearers). Hearse. MOURNING CARRIAGES. Fronfraith. Cwm, Dr. Bonsall. Glanrheidol. Llidiarde. Dr. Harries. Servants. Other Carriages. Public. The chief mourners were the two sons, Major John J. Bonsall, and Major Hugh Bonsall, and Mr Leis, Cwmcoedwig; while the following relatives were also present:—Dr. Bonsall, Aberystwyth Mr. Bonsall, Morben; Mr. Harry Bonsall, Cwm; Dr. Morgan, Nantceirio; and Mr. Hughes-Bonsall, Glanrheidol. Amongst those in the processsion were the following :—Clergy and Ministers—Archdeacon Protheroe, Aberystwyth Revs. N. Thomas, vicar of Llanbadarn; R. Eustace Jones, Llanbadarn; G. Blackwall, Penrhyncoch; David Morgan, Pen- llwyn; J. F. Lloyd, vicar of Llanilar Rev. Griffith Parry, Llanbadarn Rev. T. Davies, Goginan, etc. County and Borough Magistrates—Messrs. M. Davies, Rugby (formerly of Ffosrhydgaled); Thomas James, Aelybryn; Captain Bray, Goginan; D. C. Roberts, Thomas Griffiths, E. P. Wynne, R. J. Jones, and John Lewis, Aberystwyth Marmaduke Lewis, Bryndyfi ,Aberdovey Edward Davies, Dolcaradog; G. W. Griffiths, Machynlleth; W. Hughes-Jones, Richard Morgan, and David Howell, Aberystwyth; J. M. Williams, Brymbwl. Representatives Aberystwyth Infirmary and Staff-Captain Cozens, Bronpadarn: Mr. F. R. Roberts; Penywern: Alderman C. M. Williams, Mayor of Aberystwyth; Alderman Peter Jones, Mr. William Thomas, Mr. J. D. Perrott, Rev. T. A. Penry, Mr. Evan Evans, Dr. Abraham Thomas and Dr. M. J. Morgan, (hon. medical officers), Dr. A. H. James (the house surgeon), and Mr. J* R. Rees (manager N. & S. W. Bank). County Councillors-Messrs. Evan James and R. Doughton, Aberystwyth William Evans, Cnwch. Guardians.—Messrs. J. E. James, Aberystwyth; David Morgan, Pentre Brwynant; R. Simon, Llanbadarn. General Public.—Messrs. Lewis Pryse, Aber- llolwyn; A. H. Lewis, Nanteos; R. J. R. Loxdale; -Castle Hill; J. Russell Cox, Ty-issa; J. Parry, •Glanpaith; W. F. Richards and R. C. Richards, Penglaise; J M. Howell, Aberdovey J. R. James, Peithyll; Lewis Williams, Machynlleth J. Lloyd Lewis, N. P. Bank, Aberystwyth; Williams, Ffynon Caradog; J. Rowlands, Goginan; David -Jones, Troedrliuedis; J. Francis, Wallog; John Owen, R. K. Jenkins, W. Richards, R. Morgan, T. W. Powell, Jack Thomas, and J. Watkins, Aberystwyth William Hughes, Dorglwyd; James Thomas, Llwyndewi; Thomas Edwards, Penglaise Faich; David Jenkins, Glasgrug; David Jones and .John Jones, Capel Dewi; John Roberts, Lluest; J. R. Hughes, Bow Street; L. R. Lewis, Ffynon Ddu; H. O. Lewis, Dorglwyd; Benjamin Jones and David Richards, Pendre; and R. M. Jones, Brynpadern; John Jones, Edward Jones and Humphrey Jones, Machynlleth; Charles Humphreys, Lewis Evans, and Evan Lewis, Penegoes. Tenants:—Messrs William Evans, Abernant Thomas Edmunds, Pwllhobi; David Davies, Peny- graig; Thomas Morgans, Troedrhiwiair; William Evans, Tyllwyd William Jones, Troedrhiwcastell; David Davies, Ceunant; John Jones, Caecwtta J | Abraham Wright, Llain; Ebenezer Evans, Tygwyn; Lewis Mason, Llain; Isaac Davies, Tanyffordd; Henry Wright, Pendre Richard Jones, Llwyndu Evan Evans, Farmers Arms, Llanfihangel; David Jones, Troedrhiwrhydys; William Evans, Shop, Cnwch Coch; Richard Thomas, Alltfadog; Thomas Rowlands, Ysgubor Newydd; and David Jenkins, Fronfraith Fach. Carriages were sent from the following places :— Brynreithen, Glanrheidol, Nantceirio, Crosswood, Tyissa, Penywern, Gogerddan, Frongog, Loves- grove, Dolau, Penglaise, Nanteos, etc. In the procession also, the household servants at Fronfraith were represented by the Misses Mary Edwards, Anne Morgan, and Jane Williams, who followed immediately after the chief mourners, each carrying a beautiful wreath. The floral tributes received, which were very numerous, were made up to the choicest flowers and ferns in the forms of crosses, hearts, and chaplets. They were sent by the following:— Major Bonsall, Galltyllan;' Mrs. Bonsall, Gallty- llan Miss Bonsall, Fronfraith; Mrs Gallenger, Fronfraith; Mr. and Mrs Leir; Major Hugh Bonsall; Mrs Bonsall; Ella and Doris (grandchildren); Mr and Mrs Hughes-Bonsall; Dr and Mrs Bonsall, Mr and Mrs Bonsall, Morben; Mrs Bonsall, Cwm; Mr and Mrs Schmidt, Mr Howell Evans (chief constable), Mr E Evans, Great Darkgate-street; Mrs E Owen Phillips, Mr Charles M Leir, Misses Jones, Frongog; Mrs Cosens, Mr and Mrs Clitheroe, Mrs David Howell (Craigydon), Servants of Fron- fraith, Miss Jones, Plas Deon; Mr. and Mrs Morgan, Nantceirio; General 'Jenkin Jones, Dolau; Miss Jones and Miss Violet Jones, Dolau Mr M L Lewis, Aberdovey; Mr and Mrs Francis, Mrs and Miss Williams, Ffynon Mr and Mrs Parry, Glanpaith Mrs. Neale, the Tenants Crynfryn Buildings; Mr and Mrs Russell Cox, the Countess of Lisburne, Major and Mrs. Jenks, Capt Evans, Llandyssul; Lady Evans, Lovesgrove; Mr and Mrs Roberts, Penywern; Lady Pryse; Miss Florence Williams, Ffynon Mr and Mrs Loxdale, Castle Hill; Dr and Mrs Harries Aberystwyth, etc. The following tenants and employees bad been appointed to act as bearers:—Messrs John Hopkins (farm bailiff), David Colville (head gardener), T. Edwards, E. Matthews, J. Hopkins, D. Rees, J. Edwards, R. Morgans, E. Evans, A. 'Wright, D. Morgan, D. Davies, W. Evans (Abernant), W. Evans (Tyllwyd), T. Morgans, D. Jenkins, R. Thomas, H. Wright, D. Jones, and T. Richards. The body was encased in a shell which was covered with a lead coffin, the whole' being placed in a massive oak casket, which was ornamented with brass fittings. The lead coffin was the work of Mr Loveday, Queen-street, Aberystwyth, while the casket had been made by Mr John Charles, formerly of Commins Coch. The breast plate bore the following inscription :— J. G. W. Bonsai, Died April 5th, 1900. Aged 82 years. The service at the church was full choral, and of an impressive character. The 90th Psalm was chanted by the choir, after which hymn 537, "Peace, perfect peace," was sung. The usual service of the Established Church was then read by the Rev. Archdeacon Protheroe, and this was followed by the well-known hymn, Now the labourer's task is o'er." As the body was being borne from the church, the "Dead March" was played on the organ by Mr. Cashmore. The vault, which is situated at the top end of the burying- ground, had been beautifully decorated. One side had been made to represent a primrose bank, and at the head of the vault an exqusite cross of choice flowers had been arranged. This work had been carried out by the head gardener at Fronfraith (Mr. David Colville) and his assistants, and reflected the utmost credit upon them. The throng which had gathered round tke graveside was a very large one. The service here was conducted by the Rev. N. Thomas (vicar), at the conclusion of which the popular Welsh funeral hymn, 0 fryniau Caersalem ceir gweled" was sung by the whole, assembly. This terminated the ceremony, and the mourners slowly dispersed. The regulation of the procession was carried out in an entirely satisfactory manner by Chief Constable Howel Evans, assisted by Superintendent Phillips and a posse of police. The undertaking arrangements had. been entrusted to Mr. Edward Evans, J.P., draper, 40, Great Darkgate-street, Aberystwyth, and under his able supervision these were carried out without a hitch and to the com- plete satisfaction of all concerned.

FRONGOCH MINE.

TRISANT.

ABERAYRON.

-----I TREGARON.

LAMPETER.

BARMOUTH.