Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

9 articles on this Page


■_■J.1,rfm LLANGORWEN.



-----------___ ARTHOG.



[No title]

."'.:r-,..---..a DOLGELLEY.


"r ,a DOLGELLEY. THE POLICE.—On Monday SergtBreeze removed to Barmouth to take the V»'intuit, who is leaving for Montgomery, and Sergt. Richard Owen commenced duties as sergeant at Dolgelley. ST. DAVID'S EISTEDDFOD. — It is understood that there arc excellentprospccts for the :t. David's Eisteddfod, and that it is likely that there will be a hard fight for the challenge cup solo. THE LITERARY SOCIETY.—Owing to the temper- ance sermons the meeting of the T,if ei-ivy SooiPty to be held on Thursday was postponed till next Thursday, when an address will be delivered by Mr. Edward Griffith, J.P., Springfield. THE ODDFELLOWS.—At the fortnightly meeting of the Idris Lodge of Oddfellows beili on Tuesday, Dr. John Jones Dr. Hugh Jones of Caerffynon, were elected medical officers of the lodge for the re- maining portion of the year, as successors of their late respected father-Dr. Edward Jones. THE W AR.At the meeting convened to con- sider the offer of Mr. Soloman Andrews of con- tributing hundred guineas towards providing a home for the wounded officers, it was decided that although the object was worthy, that it was con- sidered impossible to accept it. NOTICE.—The portrait of the late Dr. Edward Jones, which was issued last week by the Welsh Gazette, may be obtained from all their agents in Dolgelley. Price One Penny. FAIR.—The annual fair known as 1, Calanmai," was held on Tuesday. There was a large number of dealers present, and the demand for cattle was good. SPECIAL SESSIONS.—On Monday, before J. Meyrick Jones, Esq., a tramp named William Marlow was brought up in custody of P.C. Ben Evans, and charged with tearing his clothes at the casual .ward. He was sent to Carnarvon for 14 days hard labour. THE WELSH GAZETTE.—Great praise is being given here to the excellent photo of the late Dr. Edward Jones published as a supplement to the nrelsh Gazette for last week, and it is considered one of the best ever printed of the late prince of Merioneth. J. MEYRICK JOKES, LIMITED.—The alterations at the Welsh Woollen Warehouse and Idris Mills are now being carried on, and the work is expected to be completed in a few months. A new factory 160 feet long is being erected, which will contain the latest machinery, and when the alterations'have been completed, it is expected that it will greatly benefit this ancient town. DEATH.—We regret to announce the death of Miss C. A. Lewis, the eldest daughter of Mr. James Lewis, timber merchant, Springfield-street, Dol- gelley, which took place on Thursday. Miss Lewis was greatly respected by all. She was for some years assistant mistress at the Girls' Board School, where she was deeply loved by the pupils. She was a faithful member of the Salem Chapel, and was of an irreproachable character. She was interred at the Nonconformist Cemetery on Tuesday. DEPARTURE. Sergeant Breeze, who has been stationed here for the last 8 years, left on Monday to take up his duties at Barmouth, He is a smart and efficient officer, and is noted as a detective. On many occasions he has been complimented by the Dolgelley magistrntes, Major Best, and other chief constables, for his smart captures. His list of arrests for serious offences are numerous. P.C. Owen has now been promoted to the rank of ser- geant, and is to be stationed at Dolgelley. COMPETITIVE MEETING.—A competitive meeting was held on Friday last at Brithdir. The ad- judicators were-Music, ML T. C. Davies, A.C., Dinas Mawddwy; Prose, Rev. J. Walters, Brithdir, and Mr. Williams, C.M. The conductor was Mr. John Edwards, Tyddynmawr, and the accompanist was Mr. John Roberts, Dolgelley. The following were the chief items won by local competitors— Children's choir and the mixed choir was won by the Brithdir parties, under the leadership of Mr. Wm. Lewis, Browyan; solo soprano, Miss Pugh, Tanygader; tenor solo, Hugh Roberts, Gwanas; bass solo, Mr. H. Owen Williams. The meeting was a successful one, and the room was filled. THE ENGLISH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH bade farewell to its pastor, Rev. E. Hampden-Cook, M.A., at a meeting held on Wednesday evening, February 14, and presented him with a purse of money, and an illuminated address as tokens of affectionate regard. Rev. T. Palmer Jones, who presided, said that Mr Cook bad proved himself to everyone of them a friend to the very core of his heart. His extreme kindness had completely won their con- fidence and friendship in return. During his pastorate a spirit of union and brotherhood had prevailed. The subsequent speakers were Messrs W. Jones, R. Edwards, J. Eastick, and H. Miles. Mr Hampden Cook left Dolgelley for Sandbach on Saturday morning. The illuminated address already referred to, read as follows, We desire to bear testimony to your undying and consistent Christian life amongst us; to your unremitting care and solicitude for our spiritual culture and welfare to your sympathy and kindness, and to your readiness to assist in all public movements having for their object the uplifting and en-nobling of life and character, and the preparing men for the duties of Christian citizenship. We believe that in these, your efforts, you have been constrained by the love of Christ, whom in all your ministra- tions you have held up before us as our Saviour and Redeemer." PETTY SESSIONS.—TUESDAY. Before C. E. M. Edwards, O. S. Wynne, C. E. J. Owen, and J. Meyrick Jones, Esqrs. VOTE OF CONDOLENCE.—Mr. Munro Edwards moved that a vote of condolence be passed with the family of the late Dr. Edward Jones. Mr. Owen S. Wynne seconded the proposition, and it was carried in silence. Mr. Jones Griffith asked leave to give a like expression of sympathy on behalf of the Bar, and this request was unanimously granted. NON-MAINTKNANCE.—An order was made against Henry G. Jones and Peter Jones for non- maintenance of their mother. TRESPASS.- Griffith J. Williams, Hugh Parry, Ellis Roberts, and Robert Roberts were charged by Mr. George Davies, gamekeeper, Nannau, for trespassing in pursuit of game on Sunday, the 28th of January. Each pleaded guilty, and were fined 10s. and costs each. FIGHTING.—Robert L. Roberts and Thomas Jones were charged by Sergt. Breeze with fighting in Eldon-square on the 10th February. Both were bound over in the sum of £5 to keep the peace for six months, and to pay costs. REMOVAL OF SERGT. BREEZE.—The Chairman (Mr. Munro Edwards) also made reference to the departure of Sergt. Breeze for Barmouth. He stated that Sergt. Breeze had given every satis- faction to the Bench, and hoped he would do the same in Barmouth.