Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

12 articles on this Page

Deatbof Bishop Elood. --

News
Cite
Share

Deatbof Bishop Elood. Welshmen evcrywhere. will learn with regret of the death of Dr. Daniel Lewis Lloyd, late Bishop of Bangor, which took place at his residence at Llanarth, on Friday morning last, from the effects of a paralytic seizure. Dr. Lloyd bad been in in- different health for a long time, and in the spring of last year he had an attack from which lie never completely recovered. He, however, considerably lightened the weary hours of his long illness by undertaking the task of compiling a new hymn and tune book. The book contains over 700 hymns and will supply a great want in the Welsh Church. Daniel Lewis Lloyd was a native of Cardigan- shire, being the son of Mr. John Lloyd, of Fronwen, I y where he was born in 1843. His parents were of the peasant class, and the future lord bishop had in early years to be content with the meagre training obtainable at the little village school at Llanarth. Nor did he enjoy this slight advantage long, for circumstances compelled him to leave school at. an early age, and for some years, we believe, he served as a shop assistant at Aberayron and Llandovery. The prospect of a life behind the counter was by no means pleasing to the lad. He was ambitious, and the Fates being kind, he was able ere long to exchange the counter for the school desk. He entered Lampeter Grammar School, and made such solid progress that he eventually won a scholarship at Jesus College, Oxford, where he was placed in the second class by the classical moderators in 1865. He graduated B.A. (2nd class Lit. Hum.) in 1867 and proceeded to his M.A. in 1871. Having decided to enter the Church, he was ordained in 1867, by the Bishop of Bangor, his first curacy being Dolgelley, where also he had charge of the local grammar school. The rector of Dol- gelley at the time was the Rev. Evan Lewis, who subsequently became Dean of Bangor, a model parish priest, who has done excellent work in the Church in H ales, for which lie has received but a tardy recognition.—Thus rector and curate came once more—in 1890-into close relationship with one another, but the curate now as bishop and the rector Dean of Bangor. At Dolgelley Mr. Lloyd gained a thorough insight into parochial work and organization, though, owiiig to his duties in the schoolroom, he was unable to throw himself into the life of the parish as energetically as lie might have otherwise done. On assuming the head- mastership of the school, he found the institution, at a very low ebb- in fact, he had only his pupils to commence with—but in a few years' time it was brought to a pitch of efficiency and popularity it had never, probably, known before in its whole history. The fyoung headmaster's fame as organ- Ey iser and teacher spread abroad, and success after success at public examination served to keep the name of the school prominently before the public. The excellent work accomplished by the young curate at the Dolgelley Grammar School did not go unrewarded, for in 1873, when the principalship of the Friars Grammar School at Bmwor-then one of the most important public schools in North Wales became vacant the appointment was unanimously offered to him by the trustees and accepted. The Friars had long been in low water. but the appointment thereto of the Rev. D. Lewis Lloyd proved its salvation and restored it to its former prosperity, In 1878 he was offered and accepted the still higher position of head- master of Christ College. Brecon. Here again lie found abundant work at hand, for the college had only ten scholars, and the school had to be iilled. He was not to be dismayed by difficulties: the same energy that characterised his administration at Bangor produced equally brilliant results at Brecon. The twelve years he ,spent in the last named town were twelve years of hard up-hill work, but he more than accomplished his object, for under his able and judicious ad- ministration Christ College became one ol't lie fore- most high-c"ass schools in the Principality, as is evidenced y the fact that in 1890, his la year at the helm, the College gained in the examination of the Oxford and Cambridge Beard the highest number of distinctions ever attained by any Welsh School. His generosity to his pupils became proverbial. He delighted in extending material aid to poor pupils to advance, and it is said of him that he educated and maintained at his own expense several who after distinguised themselves at the Universities. Many men now occupying good positions in life have to look back upon the help so afforded them as having been instrumental jn their advancement. Bishop Lloyd was consecrated Lord Bishop of Bangor in St. Paul's Cathedral on the 24th of June, 1890, his jurisdiction extending over the Island of Anglesea, the county of Carnarvon, and portions of Montgomery and Merioneth, but for many years his predecessor in the bishopric drew £2,000 per annum from the See. The years of Dr. Lloyd's tenure of office as bishop were years of great events —the years of the tithe wars and the Disestablisb- ment campaign, but in all the stress and strain of battle the bishop, while fighting wight. and main for his Church, retained all through the good opinions and high esteem of his opponents, and established himself stronger than ever in the affections of his clergy. The masterly manner in which be dealt with the delicate state of affairs arising from the action of same of his clergy in putting forward the so-called Bangor Disestablish- scheme will long be remembe.red. As a Whig of the old school his Lordship bad nothing of the ag- gressive spirit of his brother prelate of St. Asaph, and his influence was therefore all the greater over the various parties in the diocese. The bishop was a powerful preacher both in Welsh and English, but his frequent spells of illness during his later years rendered his pulpit appearances few and far between. He devoted his energies at Bangor to the improvement of the organisation of the diocese, the growth of population in the quarry districts and at the numerous seaside resorts on the north and west coasts having rendered inadequate the provision for Church work. He established for this purpose a Diocesan Fund which met with a large measure of support, and his care for the clergy was pleasantly illustrated in the energy with which he prosecuted his efforts for the establishment of the fnnd for the augmentation of clerical incomes. His Lordship enjoyed a close intimacy with eveiy corner of his <$liocese, for he had visited every parish. The bishop was a prolific writer, and often contributed Welsh articles to the Geninen" and other Welsh magazines. His latest work was the compilation of a new church hymnal for the Welsh Church—"Emyniadur yr Eglwys yn Xghymru," and the. catholicity of his selection won for him the good opinion of all de- nominations. The new hymnal contains scores of liymns written by his Lordship himself. The funeral took place on Tuesday, the interr- ment being made at the parish churchyard, Llan- arth in the presence of a vast concourse of people from all parts of the country.

TRAETH SAITH.

[No title]

THE TITHE RENT CHARGE BILL.j

—+, WANTED—A WELSH MAIL.

YTBYTTY YSTWYTH.

! WORLD IN A WEEK.

YR WYTHNOS.

CORRIS.

Advertising

Welsh Congregational Sunday…

jTALYBONT.