Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

22 articles on this Page


[No title]


------------Antiquities of…


[No title]



WORLD IN A WEEK. The Westralian Assembly are considering a motion conferring the franchise on women. It is supported by the Premier. A punitive force sent by the Royal Niger Com- pany from Ibi has captured a chief and killed many of the enemy. A lieutenant of the Royal Horse Guards was wounded. News comes from Perth, Western Australia, of the loss of the British sailing ship, Carlisle Castle," with all hands, off Rockingham. Mr. Chaplain, President of the Local Govern- ment Board, has appointed a Departmental Com- mittee to inquire into the use of 11 preservatives and colouring matters in food Severe Thunderstorm were experienced in a number of districts in the North of England last week. Several cases of loss of life by lightning are reported, and considerable damage has been done to property. The polling took place on Wednesday week in East St. Pancras, and resulted in the return of the Conservative candidate by 2,610 votes against 2,423 given for Mr. Costelloe, Liberal. In 1895 Mr. Costelloe was beaten by 289. A serious accident happened to a traction engine which was drawing three furniture vans on the Bwlch-road, between Mold and Ruthin began the driver, in changing his gear. lost control of the engine, which dashed down into a dingle, carrying the vans with it. One man named Carpwell was killed, another was seriously injured, and a third escaped with slighter injuries. Messrs. Perch and Co. are selecting sites for two new pits at Blaencorrwg, which will be sunk to about 450 feet to reach what are stated on good authority to be of the finest undisturbed coal seams in South Wales. Later reports show that the storm on Wednesday raged with astonishing violence in parts of West- moreland and North Yorkshire. Floods were caused by the great volumes of rain, the ballast was washed from under the line at several points on the railway, and a number of bridges were swept away. One of the men who were struck by lightning at Thorne died yesterday. The new Transvaal franchise law was laid before the Boer Volksraad on Wednesday, when the debate was adjourned. The preamble states that the matter will not admit of delay. The various articles agree in the main with the provisions as described in former messages. The Boer Govern- ment has replied to the Rand deputation on the question that the fort should not be used against Johannesburg in the event of hostilities that it is not their intention to make any attack except in self-defence. Meetings continue to be held in Cape Colony. The total number of plague cases at Alexandria to date is 68, including 27 deaths and 28 cures. Last week there were three new cases, four deaths, and four cures. A Preston publican was committed for trial on Saturday, on a charge of manslaughter. It is alleged that he struck or kicked his wife as she was getting out of bed, causing her to fall with her head against an open drawer, and that death subsequently occurred in consequence of the injuriesso received. Her body was found to be shockingly bruised, the result of long-continued ill-usage. At the Shropshire Assizes on Saturday a verdict of manslaughter was returned against Mary E. Allman, a nurse girl aged fifteen, who was charged with the murder of one of her master's children. A little boy and a girl were drowned within a few days of each other in a pond on the employer's farm, and it was alleged that the prisoner pushed at least one, if not both, into the .water. The prisoner, who has told several different stories about the matter, admitted in one of them that she saw the little girl struggling in the pond and did not attempt to rescue her. No motive was apparently disclosed for her extraordinary conduct. Sentence was deferred. THE GLADSTONE MEMORIAL. The Gladstone National Memorial Fund will shortly be closed. Of about L31,600 received £6,000 have been contributed locally in various counties, cities, and town*. Contributions should be sent to the western branch of the Bank of England, London. WAR MATERIAL FOR SOUTH AFRICA. The Press Association Woolwich correspondent states that a number of huge cases, containing 15-pounder gun carriages, together with a large consignment of picket posts, tarpaulin, boxes of horseshoes, and gun carriage wheels, were taken from the Royal Arsenal to the docks in barges for shipment to South Africa, where they will be handed over to the ordnance officer at Maritzburg, Natal. The gun carriages, in accordance with War Office instructions, have been painted khaki colour. A large quantity of ammunition is also leaving for South Africa, to be followed by a consignment of explosives, which is being prepared with all speed. ACCIDENT IN THE HAYFIELD. A frightful accident happened near Middlewich, Cheshire, on Friday afternoon, about four o'clock, resulting in the death of Samuel Slack, aged thirty-eight, son of Mr. Allen Slack, farmer, Leese. Deceased was engaged in carting hay when the horse bolted. He was struck by the shaft, and falling to the ground a cart wheel passed over his body, When picked up it was found that deceased bad received a severe fracture of the head, broken leg, arm, and ribs. Dr. Mitchell was soon in attendance, but pronounced life extinct. The horse travelled four miles before being secured. DOUBLE DEATH SENTENCE. A soldier named Pierron, who was recently sen- tenced to death for assaulting his superior officer, and was pardoned by the President of the Re- public, was brought before the court martial on Friday to have the pardon read over to him. The clerk of the court had just finished reading the document when the prisoner took off the buckle of his belt and threw it at the presiding officer, strik- ing him on the arm. The prisoner was at once charged with this offence, and was again sentenced to death. FATAL BATHING ACCIDENTS. On Friday a young man named Albert Davies, a clerk in the employ of the Bridgwater Trustees, and who lived at Moorside, Swinton, near Man- chester, was drowned while swimming in the sea at Colwyn Bay. He was on a short visit with his parents and intended returning home Saturday. In company with his father and mother, he went down to the beach to bathe, as he had done on the previous day at eleven o'clock, and half an hour later was missed. A search party was at once formed, and continued operations until a late hour, but without avail. The scene on the beach when the mother discovered that her son had been lost was pathetic. On Friday, at Allendale, Deganwy, an inquest was held by Mr. L. R. Thomas, deputy coroner, on the body of Mr. Thomas Richard Mellor, who was drowned on Wednesday whilst bathing in the Colwyn estuary. Mr. Mellor, who was 60 years of age was a native of Manchester, but had resided at Deganwy for some years.— Alfred Mellor, the son, gave evidence of identifica- tion. Edith Matthews, Teganwy, stated that she saw Mr. Mellor in the water. She spoke to him at one o'clock on the way to the bathing place. He seemed in his usual health. A few minutes later she saw him in the water. He did not appear to be either swimming or floating and soon after- wards disappeared. STRUCK BY LIGHTNING. EXTRAORDINARY EFFECT. An extraordinary story comes from a corres- pondent at Fordham, Suffolk. On Thursday, he telegraphs, George Fordhaya, aged 19, whilst leaning on a wire clothes line, which acted as a conductor during the storm, was struck bv light- ning and rendered unconscious and apparently lifeless. The impression of a walnut tree twenty yards distant was photographed on his breast through all his clothing. Dr. Willis, of Soham, attended, and first aid was rendered by a Lanca- shire visitor named Turner, and the young fellow recovered consciousness. Three men were struck by lightning on Wednes- day at Thorner, near Leeds. One of them, named Thomas Barely, died on Thursday afternoon. His father, who was seriously injured, may recover. Moore has regained consciousness, but is not yet considered out of danger. At Rothwell, a young man named Harry Ellis was struck by lightning. He is employd as a firer, and while feeding the boiler fires the lightning struck his shovel and spun him round like a top. lie was removed in an unconsciousstate. CASE OF MARY ANSELL. lit answer to a petition for the reprieve of Mary An-sell, Vho murdered her insane sister by means of poisoned eake, and now awaits execution in St. A1 ban's Prison, the Hojtie Secretary on announced that having caused a special inquiry to be made as to the convict's condition by Dr. D. Nicholson, Visitor of Lunacy, and Dr. R. Brayn. superintendent of Broadmoor Asylum, he lias been unable to find any sufficient grounds to justify iiiro in advising her Majesty to interfere with OJ!? due course cf the law. ALONE ON THE ATLANTIC. The attempt of Captain W. A. Andrews to cross the Atlantic in a small boat has failed. He is now in Manchester, having arrived on board the steam- ship Holbein, which picked him up in an exhausted and perilous condition 700 miles out at sea. DROWNED IN THE SEVERN. Two boys, sons of a ferryman at Newnham, in the Forest of Dean, were paddling about in shallow water in the river Severn, on Monday, close to where their father was working. After some time they were missing, and their dead bodies were afterwards recovered. THE PARIS. The liner Paris has at last been got off the rocks' Whilst being towed from the Manacles to Falmouth on Wednesday night, the Paris" nearly went ashore again on the ridge on which the Mohegan foundered. One of the German salving boats cast off the hawser through a misunderstanding, and the liner commenced drifting towards the danger- ous shoal. The Falmouth tug Victor, however, responded to the shouts of those on the Paris, and got a hawser aboard and towed her out of danger SUNDAY TRADING BY JEWS. It has been the custom for Jews in all the Welsh towns where there is compulsory Sunday closing to remain open on that day. The legality of this has just been tested in Rhyl, where a tobacconist carry- ing on business in several parts of the to .vn was summoned. He admitted doing so, having thought that shopkeepers of the Jewish persuasion were exempted from the Act. Nevertheless he was fined. SHIPWRECKS. During a storm on the coast last week, the sailing ship Carlisle Castle, from the Clyde for Fremantle, was lost with all hands off Rockingham. At about the same time the City of York, bound from San Francisco for Fremantle, was wrecked off Rottnest Island. The captain and eleven men of her crew are missing. Seven others have been saved. It has been ascertained that of those on board the City of New York eleven were drowned, while fifteen have been saved. The first officer and boatswain are the only surviving officers. A search steamer sent out reports that the coast is strewn with the cargo of the Carlisle Castle, but no trace of the crew has been found. THE NATIONAL EISTEDDFOD. The National Eisteddfod of Wales opened at Car- diff on Tuesday. On Monday a large number of Breton delegates arrived in the town. Various preliminary meetings were held, and in the evening the mayor (Alderman Sir Thomas Morel) gave a reception, which was largely attended. The first Gorsedd was held on Tuesday morning in Cathays Park at nine o'clock, and it was one of the most interesting gatherings ever held in con- nection with the National Eisteddfod. After the Gorsedd proceedings the eisteddfod proper opened in the pavilion at 10.30 a.m., when Lord Windsor and Lord Tredegar were the presidents, and Dr. T. C. Edwards (" Cynonfardd") and Mr. W. Edwards (" Myrddinwyson ") the conductors. In the evening there was a Welsh concert, pre- sided over by Mr. O. M. Edwards, M.P. WHY THE DEAN REFUSED. The reason why the Dean of Hereford did not, as was anticipated, open the recent bazaar at Muswell-hill in aid of the St. James's Church rebuilding fund has just been explained by Miss Florence Balgarnie, at the annual meeting of the local branch of the British Women's Temperance Association. The dean, it appears, is a very keen temperance advocate, and on hearing that the vicar, Rev. J. S. Whichelow, had taken out a license to sell tobacco at the bazaar, he absolutely refused to attend, and a lady had to take his place. On the following day the vicar, in the eyes of the temperance party, filled up the measure of his iniquities by allowing Mr. George Allsopp. M.P., of brewing fame, to open the second days pro- ceedings. PWLLHELI DISASTER. INQUEST AND VERDICT. The Coroner's inquiry touching the deaths of the twelve victims of the Pwllheli boating disaster was resumed on Monday. Superintendent Jones deposed that when the first four bodies were recovered shortly after the accident an hour was occupied in an attempt to restore animation. Mr. Evan Davies, town clerk, Pwllheli, said the Council had no power to compel boatmen to licence their craft. Anyone could ply for hire without the Council being able to interfere. In 1897 they applied for power in a Bill to compel everybody to licence their boats, but the House of Lords Committee deleted the clause. The jury brought in a verdict that the accident was caused by the swamping of the boat in consequence of a change of wind aggravated by John Hughes moving in the boat against the boatman's authority. The jury added that it would be advisable in future to count the passengers before leaving the shore, so as to make sure that the boat was not over- loaded, and that the Urban Council should apply for compulsory powers for the registration of boats. PERILS OF CYCLING. On Sunday Mr. Langdon, son of Captain Langdon, of Swansea, met with a serious cycling accident. He had been spending a short holiday at Llan- gennith, and on Sunday he cycled over to Port Eynon Church to attend a Volunteer church parade. On the return journey he apparently became over- come with the heat and he fell from his machine. He was found some time time afterwards suffering from concussion of the brain. His condition, it is feared, is serious, though lie has recovered con- sciousness. On Monday afternoon a young man residing at Llanelly-street, East Moors, Cardiff, was riding a bicycle down Splott-road when he lost control of his machine, and running over upon the pavement went through the shop window of Mr. Wotton, receiving severe cuts about the head and legs. On Saturday Mr. Johnson, jeweller, of Birming- ham, rode on his bicycle from Birinizillbaiii:to Llan- gollen throughout the day in the hot sun. On arriving at Vroncysylltan, in the Vale of Llan- gollen, about 8 o'clock in the evening, he fell from his cycle and was conveyed 'by passers-by to the Britannia Inn, where life was pronounced extinct. On Monday night a young man from Manchester was thrown from his bicycle near Devil's Bridge, Aberystwyth, and received severe injuries to his head and shoulder. He is now at the Infirmary. PHILIPPINES WAR. The Washington correspondent of the Daily Chronicle on Thursday says:—The papers at last demand a more vigorous prosecution of the Phillipine war. The Boston Globe," the most influential newspapers in New England, suggests that General Otis should be recalled and General Miles given supreme command. It also recom- mends that Colonel Wood should be transferred from Santiago to Manila as Military Governor. The newspapers throughout the country heartily endorse the Globe's" suggestion, but General Miles has incurred the enmity of the President and Mr. Alger, and will not be given the command unless the popular demand is so great as to force the action on the Government. Mr. Depew, at a public dinner on Wednesday night, said every energy should be bent to sending a sufficient force to crush the rebels in six weeks. The feeling throughout the country of dissatis- faction at the President's conduct of the war is growing daily, and threatens a serious political danger to the Administration unless a change be quickly made.