Hide Articles List

10 articles on this Page







o BTes S -




FOOTBALL NOTES. I L LBy VFTERAN."] I Welshpool, with a strengthened team, tried hard to snatch a victory from Chirk, but the old hands were a bit too clever. The game was a very poor eme-neitrler Bide showing to much advantage. For tifcoat 20 minutes there was good play but after Welshpool had scored the first goal the play fell away greatly. It was without life and the play till the end discounted the good work of the first 20 minutes. Some little excuse may be made on account of the football which was little better than a case filled with hay. At the end of the first half Chirk led by three to one. A fresh ball was called for brlt the one produced was even worse than the first and good football was out of the question. The Welshpool men were so disgusted with the ball that it one time they refused to play any longer with it, At after a time they resumed. Welshpool defended well in the second half and Chirk were only nble to soore once. Chirk were undoubtedly the better ,team and their combination was far in front of that fit Welshpool. At times the play of the home team was a trifle rough. Roberts on the right and Morris CB1 the left wing played the b-st game. Meredith did not shine in the centre and Lockley was not up to form. Williams was the pick of the halves, though Mates played a good game. The other players were only ordinary. Elwell for the losers worked hard but he was not in his best form. Walter Davies and Tom Jones did fairly well and the goal scored by the former was a beauty. The My twins were rather off, but Lloyd, Miller, and 'Heath played grandly. If the other players had been at all equal to this war-like trio Weishpool 86uM have won. Miller is a grand acquisition and when he has settled down and got in his right posi- tion will be of immense advantage to his new club. Heath played about his best game of the season and tw rarely played better. White in goal was capital SDd undoubtedly saved his side from a heavier defeat. The Welshpool men lasted better than usual I am glad to note and with a little more com- 4pination-whieb means less real hard and tiring work in the first half—the players will yet do well. in individual play they were better than Chirk, but poor combination gave Chirk the victory. The Obirk men are masters of this art and the losers oould with advantage take a leaf out of their book. Slice combination in which all the men thoroughly understand each other is wh-it is needed in the Welshpool team, and this can only be obtained by tfteady practice and attention to all the weak spots ib the play. To-day Chirk visit Welshpool and the llpectators will have the privilege of witnessing gome pretty play. At the same time the experience gained uy Welshpool on Saturday will enable them to play a better game, and I should not be sur- prised if the home team win. The game ought to well patronised as it will be a good football treat. The League match on the Cannings between ffewtown and Rhostyllen was not a good display of football. The home team consisted of several i-merves and were captained by the veteran, Evan Sees. The visitors played nearly their best team 4but did not make a good show. Blew and Cafferty were the pick. The defence of the homesters was gbod, Gentle proving a capital partner to Rees, and wards had no trouble in defending his position. The halves played a straggling game and did not feed as well as usual, but their tackling was very itldicious and timely. The forwards were off adlour, even the old hands Morgan and Swettenham, did not do themselves justice. Davies, one of the Biew hands, did not show up mnoh, probably owing to nervousness. HA is a very prominent man in tike Cambrian team, and will in time train on. Evans 4made a good impression at centre, hit- shots being verv good, but he must deliver the ball to his wings Wore quickly. To-day the Everton Reserves visit Newtown and a treat is in store for the home spectators. The Hlverton men did not like their draw at home with Vewtown, and will undoubtedly try hard for revenge, but they will find sturdy foes in front of 4foem who mean to have a good practice game 1Iefore the final. The game will be one of the best cI. the Newtown season, and if it is at all up to the Walsall match it will be well worth witnessing. Oswestry Reserves met strong opponents in Coppenhall, at Rnabon on Saturday. The Coppen- lmll men are a sturdy and experienced lot of players and in physique they excelled Oswestry. The game opened well for the Reserves as their first and only goal came in about three minutes from a very fine bit of play between Matthews and Parry. All through the first half the game was very fast ahd the little Reserves showed up well, though two men occupying most important positions were sadly off colour-Walsh was 'nme and Milner did not do liimself justice. The Cheshire men were smarter Gr1 the ball but the Oswestry defence was so good that it was only penetrated twioe. The first goal was due to poor play by J. Brookfield and the second was from a grand high and oblique shot from the right wing. So well had the Reserves played in this half that their friends fully expected them to do still better in the second portion of the game with the ground in their favour, but the exer- tions of the first-half had taken too much out of them, and the better trained men of Coppenhall played even better up the hill than they had down it. The play of the Oswestry men was very tame and slow, more than one holding out signals of dis- tress. Although Coppenhall failed to add to their IIOore they had the best of the game, and Oswestry must thank Thomas, the goalkeeper, for this. He played a splendid game and was often loudly cheered for his magnificent display. Better goal- 'keeping need not be seen, even in a senior match. During tie first-half Matthews and Kynaston were very prominent, and both did well. The other wing, now and again did good work, but they were very badly fed. In the aeoond-half the right wing fell off, and Watkins and Parry were the stars, but Wain they were badly fed. It is not too much to say that if they had been properly fed, Oswestry would certainly have won, Watkins put in beauti- ful and accurate centres, and at least a couple of goals should have resulted from them, if the other forwards had been anything like assmart as usual. Barratt was much the best of the halves. In the first-half both backs did pretty well, bnt they were given to wandering too far up the field in a line. At least one of the goals was gained by Coppenhall from this. If backs do go up far, one should always be behind for support. Whitfield was quite done in the second-half, but Brookfield lasted fairly well to the end. Coppenhall played a smart strong game, at times a little too strong, and one of the players will one day, probably very soon, receive marching orders for his rough play. The right wing pair were very clever, and the goals were got from this quarter. Strange, to say the left wing is considered tno, stronger one by the Coppenhall people. All the forwards poupoed on the ball in commendable style. The halves were good, but the left back was very shaky, and if the Oswestry for- wards had been in their usual form goals could easily have been gained on this side. The goal- keeper was very good, and saved some hot shots. Although the victory of Coppenhall was a narrow one, they were undoubtedly the better team, and they should win tae Cup. They are now in three finals for Cups, and head a League list. The International at Belfast ended in the defeat of the Welsh team, who led at half-time by 3 to 1. The Irishmen played up strongly in the second half and wore down their opponents. They were gluttons for work, and to the delight of the sons of I Erin defeated Wales by 4 to 3. At one time the Irishmen got a couple of goals in two minutes. On the day's play the winners deserved to win, as their play was brighter and they worked hard. At the same rime the players who represented Wales would beat them at least four times out of six on English ground. The poor Welshmen had an awful journey across the Channel, and with the exception of Rea, who is an ole sailor. all were quite knocked up. Indeed, one of the players in- formed me that he felt as weak as a kitten when he stepped on the field, and when I spoke of another journey across, like the celebrated raven, he cried, Never more." It is too much to expect men who; suffer from mal-dc-mer one day to play8football oil the next. They should have had at least one whole day's rest. Meredith and Pugh were the best; of the forwards. Trainer kept goal in his very best i form, and undoubtedly saved his countrymen from a heavy defeat. Mr Harry Haines, the old Welsh- pool cricketer, acted as linesman for Wales. Sweeney United v. Baschnrch, on the ground of the former, resulted in a win for Sweeney by ronr goals to one. The visitors scored first, bnt conld not keep it up afterwards. Sw< eney had most of the play, although thev had the misfortune to lose B. Davies, who wrenched bis knee and left the ground at half time. The visitors scored the fust goal for Sweeney themselves. Afterwards W. 1 rice scored two and G. Owen one. A pleasant game ended without a foul having been given against a single player. For reasons which need not be here explained, it may be stated that the Welsh League are at present practically penniless. In order to raise funds the conimitteo have very wisely decided to arrange a match, if possible, with either Everton. Liverpool, or Manchester City v. the Welsh League at Wrexham at a future date. Failing this, then a series of matches as Welshpool and Newtown v. Oswestry and Chirk, at Oswestry; Druids and Westminster v. Rhostyllen and Brymbo, at Wrex- ham will be played for the object. For the Shropshire Charity Cup Wrockwardine and St. George's, last vear's finalists, are again left in to tight for the trophy, and I venture to prophesy thai the holders will keep it another year. Shrews- bury were defeated by the Wood men on Saturday after a hard game, and now the team from the ccunty town have only one Cup in view, viz., tne Shropshire. This is not by any means a foregone conclusion for them, and if D-iv old friends intend to win they will have to play much better than they have been doing lately. The Wellington men are now in grand form, and the team that can take down Oswestry on this year's form are good enough to make the result of the Cup tie a very open question. FIRST-CL z.r.rr. E. The following are the results rp to and including Monday last :— Goals P. W. L. D. F. A. Pts Aston Villa 24 16 4 4 56 35 36 Derby County 24 14 7 3 61 39 31 Sheffield United 25 10 5 10 38 25 30 Liverpool 26 12 8 6 43 34 30 Preston North End. 22 9 5 8 47 34 26 Sheffield Wednesday 25 8 7 10 34 31. 26 Bolton Wanderers. 22 10 7 5 32 25 25 Evertou 23 11 9 3 48 40 25 West Bromwich A. 25 9 11 5 27 42 23 Bury 22 6 7 9 29 36 21 Notts Forest 24 8 11 5 38 42 21 Blackburn Rovers. 25 9 13 3 30 54 21 Stoke 24 8 13 3 41 55 19 Sunderland 27 6 14 7 30 44 19 Wolveri-.ampt,on W 24 6 12 6 32 34 18 Burnley 24 4 13 7 33 49 15 WELSH LEAGUE. I The following are the results up to and including 11 1 Saturday last:- Goals. r w L 1) Fr Ag Pts Druids 11 8 0 3 39 13 19 Newtown 13 3 4 1 47 13 17 Oswestry 10 7 1 2 27 10 16 I Chirk* 12 7 5 0 24 17 12 Westminster Rovers 13 4 6 3 20 51 11 Aborystwyth 14 5 8 1 21 33 11 Brymbo. 12 4 6 2 24 17 10 Rhostyllen 12 4 7 1 23 30 9 Welshpool 13 1 11 1 10 52 3 Chirk have had two points deducted for playing an ineligible man. NORTH SHROPSHIRE AND DISTRICT JUNIOR LEAGUE. The following are the results up to and including Saturday last :— Goals P W L D FA Pts Ellesmere Rangers 9 6 2 1 53 12 13 Oswestry Reserve 7 6 1 0 38 7 12 Whittington 9 4 4 1 25 24 9 Whitchnrch Reserve .5 4 1 0 34 6 8 Sweeney United 8 4 4 0 16 27 8 Rayton-xi-Towns 7 2 5 0 9 34 4 Baschnrch 9 0 9 0 4 68 0 WBLSHPOOL JUNIOR LEAGUE. The following are the results up to and including Saturday last:— Goals p w L D Fr Ag Pts Powyslaifd 3 3 0 0 10 6 6 Llanfair 4 3 1 0 24 3 6 Albion 3 1 2 0 7 5 2 Excelsiors 4 0 4 0 3 31 0 WELSH JUNIOR CUP.—SEMI-FINAL. COPPENHALL V OSWESTRY RESERVES.—This im- portant match took place on the Druids' ground on Saturday. The weather was all that need be desired but the ground was not at all a good one for an important match. Both teams were strong and composed of the following :—Oswestry Reserves— Goal, < Thomas; backs, Whitfield and Brookfield; half-backs, W. Jones, Walsh and Barrett; forwards, Matthews, Kynaston, Milner, Parry and Watkins. Coppenball-Goal, Criddle backs, F. Williams and E. Cope; half-backs, C. Perry, H. Robinson and Dickson forwards, McManus, Foster, Betts, Jones, and Hollier. Referee, Mr Fred Evans, Wrexham Coppenhall won the toss and Oswestry kicked off with the slope and sun against them. The Reserves started well and early forced a corner, which was well placed, but Williams returned. Not to be denied Matthews and Kynaston got up the field, and the former swung a grand centre in the mouth of goal, and Parry's head being in the right place a beautiful goal was scored in about three minutes from the start. In less than a minute the Coppen- hall left wing got near goal and saved an ugly rush. The Reserves pressed hard and nearly scored, Matthews being very prominent with good work, his centre ought to have resulted in a goal, but Milner and the wings missed the good chance. Coppenhall next pressed and forced a corner, the ball being sent across goal but Thomas saved. Matthews got the ball and raced up, but sent out. Down went the ball by the right wing pair and Thomas saved an apparently certain goal by rushing out. Watkins and Parry executed a nice run and the Coppenhall fortress had a hot time. A corner was gained and again the goal nearly came. Cop. penhall took up the pressing and Thomas saved grandly. Further pressure by Coppenball ended in the ball being shot a little wide. Some really fine play then took place between McManus and Foster and Brookfield missing his kick the equaliser came. From the centre-kick the Reserves gained a corner and nearly scored from it. Coppenhall worked the ball well down the field, and it was kicked in touch by the Oswestry goal-keeper. Oswestry took up the play and seemed certain to score, but Parry unfortunately handled. A corner came to Oswestry and a shot was sent a trifle wide. Coppenhall at the other end gained a corner. Then for about ten minutes the play was even and fast. Matthews and Kynaston after a good run got hands" near Coppenhall goal but the ball was got away. Oswestry came on again and Milner ought to have scored. From the goal- kick McManus and Foster put in a grand run and from near the corner the former scored the best goal of the day. Thomas tried very hard to save but only just touched the ball. Soon after, half. time arrived. The little Reserves had held their own so well in the first half that their supporters felt pretty confident they would yet win. From the kick-off Coppenhall got up and shot over. Oswestry pressed, and then for a time the play was even. Thomas saved from a smart attack by the Cheshire men. Milner at the other end nearly scored with a long shot, but Criddle turned the ball aside. Brookfield, on being pressed, kicked out. A foul against Oswestry near goal next occurred, but Thomas was not to be beaten again. The ball was well worked down by Parry and Watkin and the Coppenhall defence was hard tried. A corner was gained by Oswestry, which came to nothing. McManus and Foster with a fine run got the ball past the backs but Barratt rashed back and took the ball off the toe of Betts as he was about to shoot. Milner had another shot at goal, but sent out. This was followed by a better shot from Watkins which skimmed the corner of the upright. Jones and Watkin put in some fine play and again the ball was sent near. Thomas kept out an ugly shot from Hollier. Jones for Coppenhall next bad a rare chance after passing the Oswestry backs, but he over ran the ball and lost his opportunity. Soon after Thomas brought off a smart save and this was followed by a grand shot from Jones which hit the Oswestry upright. Watkin got the ball and a capital run ended with an equally tine shot across goal which was well saved. Parry next tried but was wide. Watkin sent in another good ceatre and Matthews ought to have scored from it but he headed just on the wrong side—very hard lines. A corner fell to Coppenhall, and McManus •sent in a hot shot which Thomas well saved by giving a corner. Oswestry had yet another good chance from hands near goal but after a scrimmage the ball was got away. Watkin forced a corner, but the whistle was blown immediately after the kick and Coppenhall won a good game by two to one. WELSH LEAGUE. NEWTOWN v RHOSTYLLEN.— This match was played on the Cunnings on Saturday last before a I moderate gate. The teams were as follows:- Rhostyllen Goal, Cafferty backs, Piatt, and Povah half-backs," Hewitt, Edwards, and Williams: for- wards, Luke, Roberts, Llovd, Wynn. and Blew. Newtown: Goal, A.Edwards: backs, E. Rees and R. Gentle; half-backs, Tucker, W. Parry, and E. Davies; forwards, J. Vaughan, E. Morgan, A. K Kvanp, Davies, and J. P. Swettenham. Referee, Mr George Jones, Shrewsbury. Rhostyllen had nearly their first team, but Newtown played several reserves, W. Nock and C. Parry, doing duty for Wales at Belfast. E. Rees captained the home team, and winning the toss selected to play up the incline as usual. Swettenham was late in appearing. Two or three throws-in followed the kick-off, after which a corner for Newtown was given, which although nicely placed was not im- proved upon Rees and Gentle were equal to a rush on the part of the visitors' vanguard. W. Parry banged towards goal, but could not find the net. AJou i against the homesters looked dauger- ous, but W. Parry and Rees got the ball Hlèd A. Evans getting possession banged at Olaffer.y who cleared grandly. A fruitless corner for New- town resulted. Newtown kept up the pressure and Vaughan centred thA ball when Kvans headed in, scoring No 1 for the homesters. Play was still kept up i" visitors' half, and E. Morgan by a nice over ul kick notched the second. After the kick- off Rhostyllen got down and forced a corner off Hees, which Wtmt behind. Edwards very plnokily cleared later, running between two men in brilliant fashion, though he got a nasty shaking. Play now became a little livlier and after a short visit, to the Newtown end Evans got possession and passed to Vaughan who screwed a good shot to- wards Cafferty who conceded a corner. Tucker placed this beautifully, right across the mouth of goal, but, the ball went behind. Teddy Davies sent in a centre but Piatt cleared cleverly and Morgan missed the net by only a few inches. Teddy Davies and Swettenham made a fine run but the ball went behind, a similar fate falling to Parry's shot. Teddy Davies executed a "err ] clever save and returned up the field. Vaughan sent in a good centre from the extreme right but Cafferty was too good for Evans. Morgan put in another grand shot. Swettenham made a ran and secured a corner which was, however, carried be- hind by the wind. Half time arrived with the score standing 2 to none in favour of Newtown. Re-starting Rhostyllen got np, bnt Rees aud Gentle drove them back and as the home quintette were going for goal hands" against Rhostyllen stopped their progress. Hands near in against Newtown looked dangerous, but Rees cleverly headed out. another free kick going behind. The homesters again troubled Cafferty, who, however, saved several shots mar- vellously, running cut on one occasion and banging the ball well np the field. From a corner kick J. Swettenham got down and centred beautifully, and Vaughan missed the easiest chance of the day. Blew was no r playing centre, and fed his wings well, but the home halves and backs all played a strong game, and when they were beaten Edwards was in his best form between the sticks. Evaus essayed a run and finished up by scoring a grand goal. Hewitt now commenccd to play a very rough game. Hands for Newtown was cleared I by Platt, but shots were sent in by Rees and Gentle and the three halves in rapid succession. Parry missed by only a few inches, and eventually the ball was got into the visitors' net, but the point was disallowed. E. Morgan got down and scored another goal, which the referee allowed, but the Rhoetyllen men objected on the ground that the ball had been handled, and two of the men left the ground. From now to the end the play was much in favour of Newtown, and Cafferty was loudly cheerad for some really brilliant saves, and the game ended in favour of Newtown by 4 goals to 0. CHIRK v. WELSHPOOL. — Splendid weather favoured the visit of Welsh p >01 to Chirk not- withstanding, that there was a very poor gate. The visitors had vory hopeful expectations as they bad some important alterations in their combination, Miller was in place of Cronk, and Elwell instead of Dan Jones. The teams are here appended :—Welshpool: Goal, C. White hacks, Elwell and Hamer; half-backs, J Jones, T.Jones, and W Davies; forwards, G H Mytton Miller, R MyttoD, Lloyd, and Heath. Chirk Goal, Morris backs, Powell and J Roberts; half-backs, R Morris, Mates, and Williams forwards, Roberts, Lockley. Meredith, James, and Morris. Referee, Mr S. Powell, Oswestry. Chirk won the toss and decided to play with the wind at their backs, and R. Mytton set the ball in motion for Welshpool. This advan- tage gained them nothing for the home left wing got away and passing tc the right the visitors goal at this early stage had a near shave, Lockley miss- ing by only a few inches. Welshpool retaliated, C. White putting the ball well up the field, thus"aiding them considerably, but Morris cleared, a slight pressure was kept np till a foul relieved the home supporters' anxiety, Morris took the kick and shot a little wide. However, from the goal kick Roberts sent in a rattler, which barely skimmed the cross- bar. Gradually, Miller and Lloyd between them worked the ball well to the front, and R. Mytton passing nicely to his brother, who made a nice run, but unfortunately, from too much pressure shot out. Still keeping np the offensive, Welshpool were very dangerous, Miller sending in some grand shots which Morris had much difficulty in saving, Lloyd put in a beauty but Morris fisted out well. After a free-kick had been disposed of, Morris from the goal kick sent the ball well down the field giving the forwards a chance, and the right wing got well down, bnt W. Davies pulled them up. Again, Roberts came, and Hamer in order to clear conceded a corner. The shot was exceedingly well placed and to all appearances it looked as if the homesters would score in the scrummage that took place in the goal mouth. White cleared grandly, and was again called upon to save a tortarjer from Meredith, which be rushed out at, but, misjudged, and Elwell running up in the uick of time placed the ball well out of danger. R. Mytton got posses- sion and raced well up the field, passing nicely to Miller, who in turn gave to G. H. Mytton who shot out. The homesters now forced the play a little, and Elwell in endeavouring to clear handled the ball dangerously near goal. From the free-kick, Hauigr cleared splendidly, and the visitors went away again to the home citadel, where Heath was stopped by Meredith, after a good run, at the ex- pense of a corner. The result of this was a scrum- mage in goal, but the forwards cleared, jet in doing so, one of them unfortunately fouled the haJJ., A free-kick was awarded, Morris punched away well, but the ball in returning, accidentally or otherwise, caught W. Davies toe and through the posts, into the net it went scoring the first point for the visitors amidst silence. From the kick-off, Welsh- pool momentarily pressed, but Roberts was soon on the warpath, but was quickly repelled The game at this point was exceedingly varied; first Miller and Mytton would be well up in the homesters' quarters only to be pulled up by one of the backs, and then Roberts getting possession would quickly make tracks for the visitors' defence, but the scene of play only to W again transferred. A neat run by Lloyd and Miller ea.jo-l very nearlv in the latter scoring for his side. Now the home- sters began to press, and Elwell to save conceded a corner. This was well placed, and an exciting scrimmage took place iu the goal mouth, which ended in Morris putting on the first point for the homesters. From the kick-off Roberts made a splendid individual run into the visitors' quarters. Elwell and Hamer both tried to relieve him of his charge, but he trickily beat them both and sent in a scorcher, which White to saye was obliged to exert all his powers. Chirk pressed hard, and but for the brilliant play of White would certainly have added to their score. The shots rained in fast and furious, and Morris after a splendid run sent into goal, but White still kept his colours high, It so happened that from the return the outside left chanced- to come up in time when the ball was returning, and popped it through the second time for the homesters. From now until the interval Chirk continually pressed. Miller tried to get away, but every time his partner got possession he allowed one of the opposing backs to relieve him. James subsequently added a third, and at half-time the score stood: Chirk, 3 goals; Welshpool, 1. Im- mediately before the time for resuming it was dis- covered that there was a rent in the ball, and a great deal of time was wasted in procuring another one. At length the game was re-commenced, and after a momentary pressure by the visitors Chirk soon asserted themselves. Elwell gave them a slight check, but they came down again with redoubled energy. Lockley missed a splendid Iohance, and Tom Jones (who had changed places with Hamer), cleared. This gave Miller a chance to endeavour to make some impression, but Roberts checked him and corn pel'en hint to turn the other way to avert the danger iLl which-his goal was placed. The homesters' shooting .now iecauie inaccurate Lockley and Meredisll missirig some t!plendid chances. Then the game f.v/onred rtie vV'tors for a whiic. Heath, from a nice h" Kilter, succeeded in tricking Roberts and this gave hirn a chance to get near goal. However, when he had 1-1, golden opportunity he sent, in his eager.'ites to score, a few inches the wrong side of the .->t>sr. The homo custodian sent the sphere "wHup rue field and Roberts and his partner sorely troubled VV nite, aud it can be tru ly Baid that but for the magnificent play of their custodian the Welshpool team would have come away more heavily beaten. They had one or two good chances but they failed to tah advantage of shem. Miller made a nice run down and gave to his partner Mytton, who sent yards wide. On anot her occasion sh rtly after, a scrimmage took place in goal from which the visitors ought to have scored, but R. Mytton sent over the bar. Th" play was now wholly for the hornesters; they bombarded the Welshpool defence but could not find an opening for some time, till Meredith after beating the backs, put on the fourth point for Chirk. Complaints were now made against the ball as being unfit to play with, and the referee stopped the game, but after a deal of time had been spent in arguing and endeavouring to procure another ball, the game was resumed, though nothing further was done, the score remaining, Chirk 4, Welshpool 1. INTERNATIONAL MATCH. IRELAND v. WALBS.—The sixteenth Association football match between these two countries took place on Saturday la.st at Cliftonville, Belfast. Of the previous contests Wales had won nine, Ireland three, and three were drawn. The Welsh team, considered a strong one, reached Belfast on Thurs- day, after a very rough passage, during which nearly all the members suffered more or less. They turned out on the field as chosen. Two changes had to be made in the Irish team, Milne (who got hurt in the Nottingham match) and Hall being replaced by Gibson and James Pyper, both of Cliftonville, this club, who are in the final for the Irish Cup, having thus six men in the team. A good deal of rain had fallen during the last week, and the ground was consequently on the soft side, but otherwise the conditions were ideal, a sli- htly sharp breeze helping to keep the players fresh. A crowd of at least 10,000 people witnessed the match, the arrangements being all well looked after. The teams lined up as follows:—Wales Goal. Trainer, Preston North End backs, J. Edwards, Oswestry, and C. Parry Newtown; half-backs, S. Darveil, Oxford, Jenkyns, Newton Heath, aud J. L. Jones, Sheffield United forwards, Pugh, Wrexham, Meredith, Manchester City, Owen, Oxford, Rea, Aberystwyth, and Nock, Newtown. Ireland Goal, Scott, Cliftonville; backs, Gibson, Cliftonville, and S. Torrans, Lenfield half-backs, Jack Pyper, Cliftonville, Ponsonby, Distillery, and McMaster; forwards, James Campbell, Cliftonville, Stanfield, Distillery, James Pyper, Cliftonville, Peden, Distillery, and Barron, Cliftonville. Referee, Mr T. Robertson, Scottish Football Association. Wales won the toss, and Ireland kicked off against the wind, and at once began to force the game. Edwards relieved well, bnt Jack Pyper and Harron worked the ball back, and Peden, who was off-side spoiled the chance. At once, however, Campbell got possession, and racing along the right wing centred beautifully to Barron and Peden, the latter missing altogether, hut the former making no mis- take in drawing the first blood for Ireland. After the kick off, Wales took free kicks in front of goa), from the second of which Meredith equalised, through the crowd. In the next ten minutes the Irish forwards kept np a continual pressure, Barron and Peden being especially noticeable, but the shooting was at fault. Wales then pulled them- selves together and gave the Irish backs a hot time. First Parry sent across to Jenkyns, and the latter headed past Scott. Very soon after Meredith added the third goal by a long high shot. Half- time arrived with the score three to one in favour of Wales. On restarting, a grand run and shot by Barron enabled Trainer to save splendidly, a feat which he repeated several times. In this period Ireland's second score came from Stanfield, who finished up a fine piece of play started by Pyper, through Campbell and Barron. Jenkyns, Jones, and Meredith bad their hands and feet full in resisting the attacks of the Irishmen, but they responded well. Ponsonby, Jack Pyper, and Gibson did likewise on the Irish side. Jack Pyper scored the equalising goal, and soon afterwards Peden won the match for Ireiand by the fourth score. Half* way through Torrans had to retire hurt, but still Irelaud kept np the pressure till the end. Aoouple of times, however,'Wales narrowly missed scoring. Trainer, Jenkyns, Jones, Meredith, Owen, and Pagh ■s#ore the best on the Wal- side. Result-Ireland, four goals; Wales, thrc<e. SCOTLAND V. WALES. On Wednesday night at Wrexham the Welsh Association selected the following team to play against Scotland, At Wrexham, on March 20:— J. Trainer (Wrexham and Preston North End), goal; J. Edwards (Oswestry) and J. S. Mathias (Brymbo and Shrewsbury), backs; J. L. Jones (Sheffield United), C. Jenkyns (Newton Heat^h), and S. Darvill (Gresford and Oxford University), half-backs; H. Pugh (Wrexham) and W. Meredith (Chirk and Manchester City), right wing; W. Lewis (Bangor and Manchester City) and H. Morris (Chirk and Grimsby), left wing; Morgan Owen (Oxford University), centre. Linesman, Mr R. T. Gough, Oswestry. THE ENGLISH CUP (THIRD ROUND). ASTON VILLA V. PRESTOK NORTH END.—This re- played tie took place at Bramall Lane on Wednesday, before 20,000 spectators. The weather was charmingly fine, and, save for a gusty wind, the conditions were perfect. The teams appeared as announced, Holmes re-ftppe^ring at back for Preston. Villa won the toss, and at once handled and conceded a corner in the first minute. The game at the very fast, Preston quickly holding their own, and attacking hotly till driven back. Five minutes from the start Trainer made a grand save, when the backs were beaten. He was afterwards charged by Athersmith, whose tactics were not of the best. For the first half hour the Villa had the beBt of tfce argument, though once Blyth nearly through for Preston from a foul. Nasty driving rain fell for a few minutes all in the face of the Preston men, who nevertheless played with rare pluck, but Athersmith scored. Interval:—Villa, one goal: Preston, none. On changing ends the Villa. ac once obtained two corners, and at the end of five minutes Wheldon scored from a fine centre by Athersmith. After Trainer bad saved, Preston a moment later scored from a foul, and the game grew tremendously exciting. Villa were soon on the defensive again, but saved their citadel, and again forced fruitless corners, Trainer having plenty to do. North End then made a splendid effort, and for a quarter of an hour pressed heavily, gaining corners and shooting well, but all to no purpose. Then Villa scored again by Athersmitb, besides two lsanowed. After this the game slowed down considerably, though there was still much fine football shown, and Preston got another goal from a corner. Final scoreAston Villa, three goals; Preston North End, two. FOOTBALL MATCHED ABERYSTWYTH v. LLANIOt-oks- — Played on the ground of the first-named club on Saturday, when the team8 lined upas follows: Aberystwyth Goal, Roose; backs, W. R. Jones and W. Davies; half- backs, Green, Edwards, and Parry; forwards, Gwynne Evans, A. Ellis, Jos. Lewis, Oswald James, and Bennett. Llanidloes: Goal, Goodwin backs, S. Jones and T. Hampton; half-backs, Hughes, E. lIamer, and T. Hamer; forwards, Owen, Evans, Worthing, Jones, and R. Evans. Referee, Mr A. J. Hughes linesmen, Messrs J. Thomas and J. Jones. The day was fine and there was an excellent attendance on the lower side of the ground. The game opened in favour of the homesters and the front rank—all juniors, but smart—were early in evidence, Bennettand James leading off and getting in some nice centres, J. H. Edwards and Jos. Lewis finishing up by shooting- The visitors were evidently not np to the standard that they have obtained in other matches. Worthing worked hard to get his forwards down but the hard playing of be home halves broke up the ranks. Owen was prevented from shooting by Davies who drove the ball out and a foul by Parry-purely unintentional —let in the visitors, bat the ball was drove behind. A few minutes after this W. R. met with a slight accident and retired from the field. He, however, quickly came round and joined in the game. Play remained generalon the left wing were Evans and Ellis were not so fortunate in their efforts as their companions on the right. A rapid pass to Bennett let in James, and Goodwin saved a hard shot, clear- ing his goal by kicking down the ground. James forced a corner off Hampton. Bennett took the kick and James tipped the ball behind. A free-kick from mid-field taken by W. R. Jones was headed behind by Evans. The visitors im- proved in their plav, but there was a lack of interest in the game. D. Jones stopped Evans on the right, and slipping past Ellis drove the ball to Worthing. An accidental foul by Lewis let in the visitors, but the open play of the latter near goal spoiled their chances, and Bennett and James were smart on the ball at the other end, the latter putting in a couple of fast shots, Goodwin saving with some difficulty. Equally hard lines fell to the shots sent in by Ellis and Parry. Worthing toyed with the ball too long in the centre, W. R. robbing him, and the same player taking a free- kick given for a foul sent the ball through the posts, but the goal was disallowed, no one having touched the ball. A foul was given against W. R. near the home goal, and it was with difficulty that the hvmesters cleared, Owen relieving the anxiety of the home supporters by kicking behind. The visitors returned to the atrack, and Roose had to fist out a splendid shot from the left wing of the visitors. A lo ig shot by Lewis was easily driven away by Goodwin. A treat pass by Pany to Bennett helped the left wing of the home team on, but an unpardonable pass by Bennett, the ball going straight behind, robbed .James of any chance; A splendid pass from Bennett was headed in by Ellis, and thp first goal was notched for the home- sters. The visitors tried hard to equalise, and Owen sent in a fast shot which skipped across the mouth of goal, falling behind. Bennett tes.ed Goodwin with a fine shot, and Gwynne Evans was just too late to put the polish on. A corner kick taken by Bennett was headed on to the top of rhe net by James. Goodwin made a. good save when a tacked by James and Bennett, he picked up the ball from a. shot by Evany. This was followed by another shot from James which Goodwin smartly saved. At half-time the score stood Aber- ystwyth 1, Llanidloes 0. The opening of the second- half was somewhat startiing for the visitors, a cor- ner and a foul taking place in the first three minutes. Lucky for the visitors a misunderstand- ing arose between Parry and W. R. Jones, and they easily cleared. Evans made a poor show in shooting and Lewis was unfortunate in an attempt at scoring, although a. better pass than what he r'eceived from James could not be wished. A splendid bit of play by the visitors in the mouth of the home goal, and an equally sinarb bit of work by the home defence finished up with a corner, but for the space of a minute Roose was beset on all sides, and only clearing with the greatest effort. Hampton, gave Bennett a nasty blow on the head which temporarily stopped the game. The delay was but brief, and Bennett and .Tames were again on the alert, a cor- ner kick following. An attack upon the visitors goal finished with Green shooting behind. Gwynne Evans played up much better towards the close of the game, and put in some creditable centres. James gave Goodwin a rattlingshot which he saved and D. Jones kicked behind to clear. Green took the corner, Goodwin again saving. J. a. Edwards, who was playing a hard game Fit centre-half, also tried the visitors custodian, Goodwin however being equal to the task. The visitors were now pressed severely, Lewis shooting but without effect. The game ended in a win for the homesters by one goal to none. SHREWSBURY SCHOOL V. MR A. W. PRYCE- JONES'S EIEVEN.- rhis match was played on the School Ground, Shrewsbury, on Thursday, when there was a fair gate. At the start play was in favour of the visitors and eventually a capital shot was put, in by W. E. Pryce-Jones which canght the cross-bar and dropping in front of the goal L. Salt pounced UP! n it and sent it through into the net. This reverse roused the School to renewed energy, but they failed to beat the old Newtown custodian Goodwin for he saved splendidly on several occas- sions. The old boys kept up the play but when near goal G. H. Mytton and Bowdler were not to hand. The School tried hard to equalise but the splendid defence barred hem. Matters looked dangerous for the visitors from a free- kick in goal, hot Goodwin cleared. Twice again he saved in splendid style. The visitors took the initiative, but half-time arrived without anything being more done, the score standing in favour of Pryce-Jones* eleven by 1 to (X The School opened the second half briskly, but they could not get beyond the backs. The visitors assaulted the homesters citadel but L. Salt failed to take the op- portunity and the School obtaining a momentary advantage nearly scored. Play was very eqnal till time, Roberts distinguishing himself in stopping the dangerous raids made by the homesters, and a well-contested game ended, Pryce-Jones's eleven 1, Shrewsbury School 0. «-