Hide Articles List

2 articles on this Page

THE ROYAL VISIT TO MACHYNLLETH.

News
Cite
Share

THE ROYAL VISIT TO MACHYNLLETH. During the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales to the Principality, they were the guests of the Dowager Marchioness of Londonderry, for whom all Welshmen and Welsh women entertain the greatest respect, and her ladyship's kindness on this and other occasions will for years be imprinted on the minds of her fellow countrymen. She responded nobly to the request of the University Court to enter- tain the royal visitors, and we are confident that the thanks of a loyal nation go out to her most heartily on the present occasion. The following guests were invited by the Marchioness (Dowager) of Londonderry to have the honour of meeting T.R.H. the Prince and Princess of Wales and Princesses Victoria and Maud of Wales The Lord Lieut. of Montgomery- shire and Lady Williams Wynn, The Marquess of Londonderry, K.G., The Earl of Powis, Lady Alexandrina Beaumont, Lords Henry and Herbert MARQUESS OF LONDONDERRY. JP?ofo 6</ C'?a?ceHor o/ DM&?t7t. Vane Tempest, Lord and Lady Pon'hyn, Lord Herschell, Mr. Christopher Sykfs, Mr. Reubcn Sassoon, Mr. G. W. Apperley, Lady Emily King-s- cote, Major-General Stanley CJarkc and Sir Fr:HK-is KnoDys, in attendance on Their Royal Highnesses. Machynlleth, or MachynHaeth, near which is Plas Machynlleth, means the fortress of CynUaeth, a district so called. The town is of respectable antiquity, and there are reasons for believing that it is the Maglona of the Romans, where they had a garrison. It has in recent times been repeatedly honoured with the session of the bards, and here was a very honourable meeting, for number and quality, convened under the name of a Parliament by the famous Owen Glyndwr in the reign of Henry VI. Machynlleth is supposed to be the site of an ancient Roman station called Maglona (" Maglocunos' Town "), respecting which both history and tr&dition are alike silent. Wlit-n we reach a more historical period we nnd that it was at Machynlleth (or to be more explicit, at Glan- dovey—within this parish) that Maelgwn Gwyncdd, or Maglocunos, was acclaimed King of the latand of Britain by the assembled British nobles in the year 542. The curious legend connected wi<h Maelgwn's election to the British Pendragonahip is given by Professor John Rbys in his Celtic Britain, and is too well known to need recital here. From its geographical position—being the spot where the ancient principalities of North Wales, Powys, and South Wales met-Machynlleth has always held an Important position in the annals of the Cymry. It was here, on September 2nd, 1402, that the last of the great national heroes, and the most renowned statesman that Wales has ever produced—Owen Glendower-was crowned Prince of Wales, in the presence of the Parliament which he had convened at Machynlleth for that purpose. The parliament house is atill to be seen m Maengwyn-street. In LORD HERBERT VANE TEMPEST, Photo b? PeoTce, Mac??/?Heth. the days of Welsh independence Machynlleth was the capital of the commot of Cyfeiliog, the most important province belonging to the Princess of Powys; and so we find these princes granting favours to the town in many ways. The original charter is supposed to have been granted by Owen de la Pole, Prince of Powys, during the latter part of the thirteenth century. The town retained its municipal privileges for several centuries, but un- fortunately the burgesses did not take any troub e to keep their civic functions alive, and so gradually they were allowed to drop bit by bit, and at last became extinguished altogether. Upon the political amalgamation of Wales with England in 1556, Powys-land was added to the chatellany of Mont- gomery and became shire-ground under the title of Montgomeryshire. It was then that Machynlleth was chosen (alternate with Montgomery) as the place where the knight of the shire should be elected, and at the same time it was made a con- tributary parliamentary borough. These privileges the town has retained ever since. Upon the petition of the inhabitants, and by virtue of the Parish Council Act, 1894, Machynfleth has recently recovered part of its muni- cipal privileges. The town can now boast of an Urban District Council, the nret chairman of which PLAS MACHYNLLETH. Photo by J. Owen, Nell'tOlcn. is Lord Henry Vane Tempest. A year ùgo Lord Henry very generously gave a handsome common- seal to the Urban Council. The design represents Owen Glendower presiding at the Parliament of MachynHeth it is the work of Mr. Robert Owen, of Welshpool, and reflects greatly to his abilities. MachynIIeth is an ambitious little place, and its sons are bent upon its acquiring a higher position in the affairs of the Principality than even it has done in the past. Floreat Mfiglova The inhabitants of MachynHetb marked their appreciation of the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales to the town by making them recipients of the following address, which is referred to in another column To their Royal Highne¡.es the Prince of TVales, the Princes. of Wales, the lPrinces, Victoria of TTa/e. and the Princess Maud of Wales. May it please your Royal Highnesses,—We, the inhabitants of the ancient town of MachynDeth and its vicinity, are deep]j, sensible of the great honour which your Royal Highnesses are conferring upon our town and neighbourhood by making Ptas IAlacbyjilletb your resting-ptace on your journey to Aherystwyth and we hai) with delight the advent of your Royal Highnesses among us. t It is a very gratifying circumstance to us in thus approaching your Royal Highnesses to have the honour of doing so < n this historic spot. Here within our view stands the patace of Owen Gtyn- dwr, crowned Prince of Wales on the 20th Septem- ber, 1402—henceforth to be associated in our memories for ever, with the gracious presence of your Royai Highnesses to-day. Here also we are reminded that King Henry the Seventh, before the battle of Bosworth, paid a visit to our Poet seer— Dafydd Llwyd-at Mathafarn—who raUied the We)sh to the cause of the Earl of Richmond. We cannot but remember with pardonable pride the eventful history of our town; nor arc we un- mindfu) of the fact that a descendant of Dafvdd Dwyd—now the noble owner of PIas MachvilUeth, the most Honourable the Marchioness (Dowager) DOWAGER MARCHIONESS OF LONDONDERRY. Photo by Valer,y, Regent S'p-ect. of Londonderry—preserves for us the hospitable traditions of our raec, and enables us, on this happy occasion, to offer to your Royal Highnesses our assurance of unalterable attachment to the throne and person of our beloved Sovereign, and to all the Royal family sentiments which animate the bosom of every native of the Principality from which your Royal Highnesses derive your first and hereditary title. Signed on behalf of the Inhabitants of the town and its vicinity, at a public meeting, held on the 25th day of June, 1896, HENRY VANE-TEMPEST, Chairman, DAVID EVANS, Hon. Secretary. BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. The Marchioness Dowager of Londonderry is the only daughter and heiress of the late Sir John Edwards, Bart, M.P., and was married to the fifth Marquess of Londonderry. Her ladyship is the owner of extensive estates in the Counties of Mont- gomery and Merioneth, and is much beloved by her numerous tenants, with most of whom she is per- sonalty acquainted. Her hlyship is deservedly popular it) the neighbourhood of MachynDeth, and her munitieence to that town is welt-known. In addition to other charity's her ladyship maintains solely at her own cost for the beneSt of the town and neighbourhood an excellent Cottage Hospital, which is superintended by a duty qualified resident nurse. Lady Londonderry is paternally descended from Richard Owen, Esq., who was Sheriff of the County in 1653, and who was one of the eig-ht geu- tlemen of Montgomeryshire, who were in 1660, on account of their attachment to the Royal cause, deemed fit and qualified to be made Knights of the Royal Oak. The Marquess of Londonderry, K.G., is the eldest son of the nfth Marquess, and was educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford. As Viscount Castle- reagh he Sj,t in the House of Commons for County Down, from 1878 to 1884, when he succeeded to the Peerage. In 1886, on the formation of Lord Salisbury's second administration, his lordship was appointed Lord Lientenant of Ireland, which im CLOCK TOWNR, MACHYKLLETH, P/toto by J. Owen, Newtoun4 portant omce he held with much.distillct'on for three years, and was made a Knight of ?ob!e Noble Order of the Garter in 1888. /? ?co! Marquess (who is Chairman of the London c- Board) was offered but declined a seat in the pres. ent Cabinet. -?? of ?Lord Henry Vane-Tempest is the second ? ? the ]ate Marquee of Londonderry. He is a, ?- ??, D.L. for Montgomeryshire, a Director of tne ? brian Railways Company, and Chairman ?,?,p MachynHeth Urban District Council. "? Life for some years held a commission in the ?B Guards.. -„ of Lord Herbert Vane-Tempest is the third ""? the tate Marquess of Londonderry. He is ""?.?je. of extensive estates in Iretand, and was "? Camp to successive Lords Lieutenant of ?ro ?g ?Lady A!exandrina Beaumont, the on!y ?'' ? daughter of the late Marquess of Londonderry, married to Mr P. C. B. Beaumont, M.P. privy An interesting ceremony took place at the PrIvY Council Omce on Monday in Mr. Harnson s ro?j when the seal of the University of "?"? ?g amxed to the deed appointing the Prince ot v ChaneeHorof the Univet sitv, and to letters patent or LADY ALINE BEAUMONT. Photo hy the London Stereoscopic CowpaMy. certificate attesting the conferment upon His ItOlo' Highness of the decree of doctor of !a.ws. b sea) thus used for the first time was designed "V Sir E. Burne-Jooes. Amongst those present ?? Dr. Isamhard «wHn,Mr. Brynmor Jones. Q.C.\ M*' MrCadwa)adrD.<ies, MrIvorJamps, and ot"er? The seann? was attested by Mr. Brynmo) Jonfaan Mr. Cadw:))adr Davies a" counse), and Mr. 1" .fanfs as Registrar of the University.. Th.- kpy of tht- s'-at which th.? Deputy Chauce!'<? presented to thn Ftin -e of \Va)es was execute m sotid ?o!d hy Messrs Chnhh. ft was ? heautifn) work of art, containing designs the plumes, the (tragon, and other em bIen:, The deed of appointment was executed "? Messrs Vacher and Sons, of Parliament stree < in thu styte of the 16th century, and was a'? ht-i])i!)nt)y innminated. The sea) attached ?' was the new sea) designed by Sir Edward BnroB' Jones. The Prince's robe. as is probabty knW was made by Messrs Ede and Sons. It ?. chanceHor'a robe, of btack satin damask, be?"? embroidered with ?o)d, the We!sh dragon b?"'? -ntroduced in no fewer than five places. ? Royal Highness's train was borne by Masted William Gladstollc, grandson of the ex-Premier, an d son of Mr W. H. Oadstone. Contrary to anticip?' tion, onty four honorary degrees were coafef'?'' This waa in consequence of the inability of < other noble tord and gentlemen invited to be 1 attendance. It was expected up to the ? moment that Mr Batfour. as Chance)tor of ? Edinburgh University, wou)j be abie to be prese" but urgent :)arliamclltary duties rendered this poasibie. OP the honorary graduates, the prince ø of Wales and Mr Gladstone appeared in the robe., 's of the degree of the University of Wales, and fjordo HerscheH and Spencur wore their Chancellot robes, with the hoods of the degrees over them. ? L()R[) HENRY VANE TEMPEST, Photo by Pearce, Machynlleth.

MR. C. E. HOWELL.