Skip to main content

Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

11 articles on this Page





[No title]


[No title]



THE ALLEGED MURDER AT LIME- HOUSE. RESUMPTION OF THE INQUEST. On Thursday morning, Mr. Richards, the deputy- coroner, resumed at the Salisbury Arms Tavern, East- field-street, Limehouse, the investigation respecting the alleged murder of Agnes Oakes, aged 22 years. Mr. Charles Young, solicitor, appeared on behalf of the prisoner, John Wiggins. Inspector Brady conducted the case for the prosecution. Dr. Horton recalled, said that he had, at the request of the jury, carefully examined the body of the deceased since the last inquest. There were no marks of violence on the deceased's hands. Coroner When you were called in to see the deceased on the morning of her death, had the stiffness of death set in ? Witness Yes, she might have been dead one hour- it might be more. There was blood on the hands, it was smeared over them. There was blood on her chemise. The blood was in spots. It had the appear- ance as if it had fallen down while she was standing. By a Juror Her arms were straight out, and her legs were straight. By Mr. Young In consequence of the great loss of blood, I should expect the body to get colder sooner than it otherwise would in ordinary cases. Rosa Ellen Oakes, sister of the deceased, was recalled, and the coroner read over to her the evidence she had given at the first sitting of the court. The coroner said that he did so in order that Mr. Young might be thoroughly acquainted with everything that had already taken place in his absence. [It will be recollected that she deposed to a quarrel which had taken place between the accused and the deceased.] The witness was cross-examined by Mr. Young, and she said that she would swear that she had come up to LondoR from Liverpool. Witness continued I do not know of my own knowledge that my father ever left Liverpool. I had seen my father a week before I left. My sister told me he had left. My sister was in the habit of taking a drop." She never got drunk. I do not know that she pawned any of Wiggins's things to get drink. She told me she had pawned a watch on the Saturday. I do not know she was in the habit of stop- ping out late at night. I have not seen her low spirited for the last six months. George Wiggins, an old man, said that he lived at Temperance-cottage, Limehouse. He was a bargeman. John Wiggins was his son. Deceased had lived with him in witness's cottage for the last six months. He was not married to her. Witness did not know how they came together. They had wrangles together, like most people," all through her intemperate habits. She became intemperate almost as soon as she came there. She kept bad company. She was most decidedly not immoral; she only drank. On the Sunday previous to the deceased's death no alterca- tion took place in witness's presence, although the deceased's sister had stated that one had taken place. But," continued the witness, as I stand in the pre- sence of my God, no quarrel took place on that day." He came down and sat in the garden. There was no quarrel on that day. There was one on the previous night. She threw a tureen at him and cut his arm open. Coroner I cannot take that if you were not present. Witness: I was not. The deceased and Wiggins were lodgers. One day my wife came home, and found all the things in disorder, and she gave the deceased warn- ing to leave. I have seen the deceased very low and desponding. On the Tuesday night (the night of the fatal occurrence), my son came home, and said that he should like a kidney for supper. While it was cooking, two men, Ross and Burton, called, and said that they wanted him to take a barge to Pimlico. He left and returned at one. When he came in he said, Mother, call me early in the morning, for I have to get that barge in." He ate part of the kidney, and drank some beer he brought home with him. When he left with the two men in the evening he did not in the least leave in anger with the deceased. No words occurred then. The deceased was a most cheerful and lively creature. She was very dejected on that night about the separation that was to take place between them. Coroner: What did you know of your own knowledge about the morning ? Witness Everything was very peaceable until a few minutes before five o'clock. I then heard a voice cry Oh, ob, oh I got up. Coroner Was that voice the voice of a man or a woman 1 Witness It was a man's voice. I went towards the room door, and my son ran out with his hands up to his throat. He cried out, Oh, oh; father, father, Agg has cut my throat." The handkerchief, which was a red one, was tied round his throat. It was lightsome then. I could see no blood, for the handkerchief was red. I did not see a cut on his hand. I asked him, What has she done it with ? "I do not know," he replied. Is it with your pocket-knife ?" I asked. No," said he, I have got that in my pocket. I cannot make out what she has done it with." My wife rushed past me, and he ran downstairs in his stocking-feet. She did not leave the house. I heard my wife ciy out, Oh, Johnny, come up, she is dying, come up." I was in the room. He came up. When he came into the room, I did not take particular ) notice what he did with his hands. He cried out, when he saw his mother holding the deceased he cried, Oh father, father save her, save her poor girl, save her I then said, Wrap something round her throat while a doctor is sent for." He went to the table. He leant down, and said, Here it is, here's what she has done it with." He took the knife off the floor. I saw the deceased kneeling near the fireplace, and my wife had her arms round her neck. I was very excited, and after it took place I went into a fit, and no sooner did I get out of that than I went into another. By Mr. Young I did not hear my son tell the de- ceased on the Wednesday previous that he should leave her, as he would not put up with her conduct any longer. I know about a watch, and I know that the deceased got a further sum of a pound advanced upon it. It had been pledged. She was drinking all the day on Sunday. She got the ticket of the watch. Now, gentlemen, I wish to say that I have buried the de- ceased. Every farthing came out of my pocket. (Six thousand people attended at the funeral of the deceased on Sunday week. She was interred at Bow.) Martha Wiggins, the mother of the accused, corrobe- rated the evidence of her husband, and denied that her son ever threatened deceased. Several other witnesses were produced, seme of whom seated that they had heard cries of Murder" on the morning of the tragedy others asserted that the chemise the deceased wore bore the appearance of having been torn in a scuffle. The chemise was produced. It was co-rered with large spots of blood, and was torn in several places, and was crumpled as if in a dreadful struggle. One of the rents in it nearly reached from the top to almost the middle of it. One witness, whose cottage was at the back of Tem- I perance-cottage, stated that at ten minutes to two o'clock she heard cries of Murder." The first words she heard were You old you are murdering me." She next heard, They are murdering of me." [ The cry of Murder was then repeated. The church ) clock then struck two. The cry of "Murder" seemed to come across the canal. It was a female's voice. It was a woman's voice that said You old bitch, you are murdering me." Thomas Brown, 75, Eastfield-street, a lighterman, said that he was with Wiggins on the Tuesday night. He had a "little drain "to drink. That was just as much as a working man ought to take (laughter). He was not sober, but he was not drunk. He did not allude to Agnes Oakes. He went home at a quarter to one o'clock on the Wednesday morning. Wiggins took a pint of beer home. He said he was going to take it to his wife. Dr. Horton, recalled, said the cause of the deceased's death was hremorrliage from a cut throat. Inspector Brady put in evidence a letter from Liver- pool, and it stated that the writer, having seen in the newspapers of the awful tragedy that had happened to Agnes," wished to state that he was her father, and that he was not dead. The two girls had left Liverpool without his knowledge, while he was searching for work. He wished to know all about the tragedy, and if it was necessary to bring him up to London to give evidence he would come. The Coroner said that he should now adjourn the in. quiry for the purpose of allowing the prisoner to be brought before the jury. The proceedings were then adjourned. The crowd outside was immense during the whole day. EXAMINATION OF JOHN WIGGINS, On Friday meming at 19 o'clock, Mr. Richards, the deputy-coroner, resumed at the Salisbury Arms Tavern, Eastfield-street, Limehouse, the inquiry touching the alleged murder of Agnes Oakes, aged 22 years. The prisoner, John Wiggins, was taken out of his cell in the House of Detention, Clerkenwell, and placed in a prison-van and driven to the coroner's court, when Mr. Superintendent Worelstein, acting under a warrant granted by the Secretary of State, ordered the prisoner to be conducted to a private room, where he had a short > consultation with his solictor, Mr. Young. The Coroner took his seat at ten o'elock, and Mr. Young, solicitor, said he again appeared for the pri- soner. Mr. Inspector Brady conducted the case for the prosecution. The Coroner Bring the prisoner in. John Wiggins, aged 35 years, was then brought into the Court by the police. He is a man of florid com- plexion, and is five feet in height. He stood still when he reached his seat, and placing his hands on his hips smiled and looked round the crowded court, every eye being turned' towards him. He then sat down, and crossing his legs watched his solicitor as he was examin- ing the witnesses called for the defence. At the conclusion of the evidence for the defence, the whole of the depositions were read over, at the prisoner's wish. The prisoner was afterwards sworn, and made a statement to the effect that when he woke in the morn- ing the deceased came to his side and begged him to for- give her. He said he could not, and went to sleep again, and was awoke by tickling in his throat, which he found to be caused by her attempt upon his life. He had not seduced her, as had been stated. (This the coroner, from information which had been tendered, did not believe.) Mrs. Burt, re-called, said that she believed that the deceased was a well-conducted young woman. She was a meek girl and used to sit down and cry. Ultimately the jury gave the following verdict:— That Agnes Oakes was found dead with an incision in her throat, and the said jurors do further say that how such incisioii was caused there is not sufficient evidence to show." The prisoner was then removed, and when he was being carried to the van, the crowd of some thousands of people kept shouting out, Open verdict, open ver- dict, open verdict." The excitement was intense.



[No title]