Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

8 articles on this Page








PONTCYSYLLTE. THE FATAL FIGHT. The adjourned inquest on the body of John Roberts, quarryman was resumed on Monday last, before Mr. B H. Thelwall, coroner, and a jury of which Mr. Eddy was foreman. The first witness examined was Jonah Thomas, who said he was a quarryman and that he worked with the deceased. On Friday night, October 24, witness was in the company of the deceased. They left the Aqueduct Tavern at ten o'clock and met with a man named John Morris with whom they afterwards went to the entry opposite Morris Jeffrey's shop, close to which was a house occupied by Eliza Jones and her brothers. Wit- ness went up the entry for the purpose of seeing Eliza Jones. He threw dirt at her bedroom window, but did not see her. As no one came to the door, he returned to his companions. John Roberts then went to the house, and soon afterwards he ran to them, followed by Thomas and Jacob Jones, the latter knocked witness down. When he got up he ran away accompanied by Roberts. They went a distance of some J 100 yards, and waited for Morris, whom they had left behind. They turned back to look for him, and opposite the entry they met Jacob Jones, who again knocked; witness down. When he got on his feet he saw Thomas Jones leaving Roberts, who was lying on the ground under the window of Jeffrey's shop. Witness heard Mr. Jeffreys ask who the man was that was lying under his window. He answered "a quiet, respectable person." Hearing Morris whistle down the road witness went to him. They returned near to the spot where they had left the deceased, and heard some one say, "John, John, waken," several times. Morris said to witness that there was a man speaking to Roberts, and if they went to them they would have their brains knocked out. They then left as they were afraid to go any further. He (Jonah Thomas) had been in the habit of calling on Eliza Jones before. Witness saw a stick, or what appeared to be like one, in Jacob's hand, but he did not use it to witness. When deceased was lying under the window witness spoke to Roberts who gave a sort of groan. John Morris said he went with the last witness and the deceased to the entry where Eliza Jones and her brothers lived. Jonah Thomas knocked at an emoty house, and Roberts called out to him that no one was living there. Roberts then went up the entry, and rapped at the door of Jones's house. In a minute or so the two Jones's ran after the deceased. Jacob hit Jonah Thomas on the head. Roberts ran up the road, while Thomas Jones came to witness and tried to strike him. He then got hold of his leg and when Jacob saw witness struggling' with his brother, he came to his assistance, and witness had a struggle with the two brothers. Witness got loose, and as he was running away Jacob hit him on the back with something. He did not see John Roberts after this, and he did not notice anyone strike him. He subsequently met Jonah Thomas and asked him where the deceased was. They turhed back to see what had become of Roberts, and heard a voice say "John, John, waken." He did not hear Roberts make an answer. They then went away, as they were afraid of going nearer. Witness had not been to see Eliza Jones before. Jacob Jones said he was a labourer. He and his brother lived with their sister. On the night of October 24, Jonah Thomas, Morris, and Roberts came to their house about twelve o'clock. They tried at first to open the door, and afterwards they threw stones at the door and dirt at the bedroom window. The men were asked to go away, but as they refused he and his brother went downstairs to send them away. As they persisted in remaining, Thomas Jones hit Roberts, who returned the blow. Morris struck witness's brother, and he went to his assistance, and Morris ran away. In about ten minutes after this Roberts and Jonah Thomas came to the entry, and witness struck the latter with his fist. As he saw Thomas get a big stone to throw at him, he knocked him down again. Jonah Thomas then left them. As witness was yoing into the house he saw Roberts by the shop window. He did not see Roberts struck with the exception of the first blow that he re- ceived. Witness had a poker in his hand, but he did not use it. Jonah Thomas and some others had been to see his sister before. Witness's brother went into the house and called his sister, saying, Li;?, get up; go and fetch Samuel James. I think John Roberts is dead." His brother Thomas remained in the house a short time and then left, and he had not seen him nce. On leaving the house he said, "I do not know what to do or where to go." Morris Jeffreys, shopkeeper at Pontcysyllte, said he remembered the night of October 24. About twelve o'clock he heard someone struggling in the road opposite his house. He got up and went to a shutter and looked into the road. He saw Thomas Jones walking away from the shop window. Jones went towards two men who were standing about twelve yards from the shop. One of the men knocked the other down. He then asked what was the matter, and Jacob Jones said that the men had been to their house, and made a disturb- ance. Witness heard some one breathing in a laboured manner under the window, and when he asked who it was, Jonah Thomas replied "a chap has been murdered." Witness asked who he was, and Jonah Thomas said "he was a respectable chap from the Vron." He did not see Roberts struck by anyone. He saw Jonah Thomas put Robert's hat on, but h-3 did not see anyone else interfere with him. Witness owned the house in which the Jones's lived, and he had threatened < to give Thomas Jones notice unless he sent his sister away. Eliza J ones said she was a single woman. She knew the deceased, but had never spoken to him. Her brother Thomas called her up a week last Friday night. He said "Liz go and call some one up." She then went to Samuel James and told him to go to their house. She had previously seen a man lying under the shop window. Witness went to Roberts and put her hand on his chest. The body was cold. Deceased was lying on his back with his arms stretched out. When her brother asked her to get up he said he did not know what to do or where to go. He then left the house and she had not seen him since. Mr. Drinkwater, surgeon, said: that by the direction of the coroner he had made a post mortem examination of the deceased on October 28th. He found over the west region of his scrotum a contusion, which was caused by extravasation of blood into the cellular tissue of the scrotum. There was no injury to the testicles with the exception of this, and no rupture of the bladder. The extravasation might have been caused by a kick or a fall before death. He did not find any bones to have been broken, and all the organs were healthy. There was nothing at all in the stomach excepting a smell of beer. On the right frontal bone on the forehead there was a bruise, bnt it was not incised, and it did not appear to have been done with any weapon. On the left frontal bone there was a similar bruise, only of smaller dimensions. On making an external examina- tion of the other parts of the head he did not find any more perceptible bruises. Underneath the scalp of the right frontal bone he found a slight extravasation of blood which would correspond with the external bruise. On the left side he noticed no extravasation. Above the left ear there was extravasation of blood on the parietal bone, extending to the occipital bone. He also found the right side to be in a similar condition only in a lesser degree. He found no external fracture of the skull. After having removed the skull, which was re- markably thin, he did not discover any internal fracture either upon the right or left side, but on the latter, underneath the membranes of the brain there was laceration of the brain and vessels, with extravasation, accompanied by a clot of from one to two ounces of blood. That would be caused by concussion, or might be the result of a blow. There also appeared to be some old disease of the brain. Death must have been caused by concussion with laceration and extravasation of blood, being occasioned by the deceased falling against a hard substance or receiving a direct blow. The marks on the testicles had nothing to do with the cause of death, but had there been a rupture of the bladder that would have been sufficient to cause death. The Coroner then summed up the evidence and the jury proceeded to consider their verdict. After a con- sultation of some twenty minutes the foreman announced that they had returned a verdict of manslaughter against Thomas Jones, who left the neighbourhood in great alarm on the night of the quarrel, and all endeavours to discover his whereabouts have hitherto been fruitless.