Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

15 articles on this Page












MOLD. PLEASANT EVENINGS."—On Monday last the Westminster-road schoolroom was crowded with a highly respectable audience, at the second of these series of entertainments, which are to be continued every week throughout the winter.. The chair was taken by Mr. C. P. Morgan* of Bryn-yr-Haul, who delivered an excellent address. The audience having united in singing Oh, touch those chords again," the programme was gone through. It in- cluded songs by Mr. Herbert Williams, Miss A. J. Lawson, and Mr. Luther Jones; recitations by Messrs. Lewis Everett, jun., and E. Edwards; pianoforte duets by Misses H. Adams and E. Ed- wards, also by Misses A. Powell and L. Hales. An amusing address was also delivered by the Rev. J. S. Williams (Welshpool) on Bachelors v. Babies." At the close a hearty vote of thanks was accorded the chairman, and performers on the motion of the Rev. D. B. Hooke seconded by Mr. John Griffiths. LOCAL BOARD.—A meeting of the above Board was held at the County Hall last Wednesday, when the following members were present—Messrs. Henry Lloyd Jones (chairman), Thomas Williams, James Hughes Jones, Oliver Jones, John Corbett, John Hughes, Griffith Jones, Joseph Ea.ton, A. J. Brereton and Henry Roberts. The plan submitted by Mr. Brereton as to the face of the buildings in Chester-street was accepted, as arranged between the Clerk and the agent of Colonel Williams, the owner, and in accordance with the letter of Mr. Aydon, the owner's surveyor. The recommenda- tion of the Sanitary Committee, as to making intercepting tanks for the sewage, so as to prevent its flow into the Alyn, was adopted. The Clerk was instructed to communicate with the owners and occupiers. The drainage scheme was con- sidered. Many members thought the scheme proposed by Mr. Bellis and Colonel Jones too costly and unnecessarily large, and that smaller schemes ought to be adopted. It was resolved that the Clerk write that the landowners would not sell land forthepurpose, and that other schemes would be pro- posed. Miss Powell's claim for rent was not admitted, and it was stated that any action be defended. It was resolved that the Board lay a drain from Miss Powell's tank to th& main drain. The ques- tion of the disposal of the money given by the late P. Ellis Eyton, Esq., M.P., and the local Eistedd- fod Committee, was considered.. It was suggested that the two funds ie- amalgamated, and that the Eisteddfod Committee: bø: sequeatsd to meet the, Board on Monday night next, at seven p.m., in the County Hall, to consider the matter of the invest- ment of the funds. Mr. J. H. Jones's motion as to alteration of dates of fairs was considered. He suggested that the fairs be held on the third Wed- nesday in every month, and a discussion took place. The matter was adjourned for further discussion to the next Board. The Lighting Committee recom- mended the erection of two lamps at Pentre, Dr. Thomas Williams to make a donation of .£2 to- wards the expense. It. was ordered that four new lamps be placed in Grosvenor-street, and at the places recommended by the Lighting Committee, and one additional in Chester-street. A memorial from the inhabitants of Pwllglas and Groesonen was referred to the Lighting Committee, to meet as soon as possible, with power to act and order posts. The Board rose at nine o'clock. PETTY SESSIONS. MONDAY.—Before Colonel Cooke (in the chair), Capt. A. F. Jones, and E. Thompson, EIIW. ROBBERY OP £40. Thomas Clarke, a man of unusually large stature, and Christiana Clarke, his wife, were charged on remand with stealing from the person of Ebenezer Thomas between £30 and £40. From the evidence in the case it appears that the prisoners came into Mold on Thursday, the 23rd of October. After begging at seveial places of business singly, the two went into The Vaults, High-street, where the prosecutor, Ebenezer Thomas, a South Welshman, who lodges at G wernafield, and has a small contract in connection with the Alyn Tin Plate Works, was sitting. The male prisoner, who is a discharged soldier of the 55th Regiment, and is now, together with his wife, a professional tramp, told the prosecutor, who had a quantity of boiled ham in his pocket and a roll, presented the man with them. His wife then came in and helped him to eat the food, and the prosecutor gave gave them each a glass of ale. This took place at the bar, and when the ale was finished, the three went together into the parlour and sat down, the prosecutor in the middle, the male prisoner on his right, and the female prisoner on his left. The prosecutor, who was the worse for liquor, had a considerable sum of money upon him, from £30 to jE40, the gold being in his left trousers pocket in a paper bag labelled £25, whilst a quantity of loose silver was in his right trousers pocket. Another glass of ale was drunk in the parlour by each of the three, and between eight and nine o'clock in the evening they left the place and went to the Cross Keys, New-street, where prosecutor called for another glass of ale for each. He left them somewhere between nine and ten o'clock, and when going home, about half-past ten o'clock, he missed money. He returned to the police orfice at Mold and gave information. Inquiries were at once instituted, and on Friday morning a telegram was received from Wrexham that the prisoners were in custody there. P.C. Thomas Jones (5) was despatched to Wrexham, and charged the female prisoner with stealing the money, and she said, "I didn't go out of the house with him." He charged the male prisoner with receiving the money knowing it to be stolen, and he replied, "I did receive the money, but I did not know it was stolen." The prisoners had been apprehended at Wrexham by Inspector Lindsay, of the Denbighshire police, on Friday morning, and he found upon them j615 in gold and 16s. Did. They had made purchases of the value of £2, of different articles of wearing apparel, part of which was pawned in Wrexham before their apprehension, while the re- mainder was recovered and produced in Court. On Saturday morning, the 25th ult., the prisoners were brought before H. C. Raikes, and E. Thompson, Esqrs., when the charge was gone into, and the facts, as above stated, elicited. Mr. Deputy Chief Constable Adams asked for a remand for a week in order to make inquiry into the character and antecedents of the prisoners, and they were remanded until Saturday last, when they were brought before Edward Thompson, Esq., and the depositions of the witnesses taken. The police had net meanwhile obtained any information as to the antecedents of the prisoners, and Mr. Thompson further remanded the case until Monday for summary treatment, the prisoners pleading guilty. The evidence was now read over, and the prisoners pleaded guilty to the charge. The Chairman said the Magistrates had decided to sentence each of the prisoners to four months' imprison- ment with hard labour, and they wished to say that they considered it very wrong for the landlord of the vaults to allow any one remain in the house in the state the prosecutor was ln, There was no doubt he had had too much liquor, and drunkenness was the cause of a good deal more than half the crime of the country. They I hoped this would be' a lesson to the prosecutor to be sober in future. The money found on the prisoners was ordered to h. returned to the prosecutor. A ROW AT BUCKLEY.. John Hughes and Henry Hancock were charged with being drunk and refusing to quit the licensed premises of Samuel Jones, the White Lion Inn, Buckley. P.C. Thomas Jones stated that on the 18th ult., at ten o'clock, hearing a noise in the White Lion, he went in and saw the defendants, who were drunk, fighting. He asked them to go out, and they refused to go. No explanation was offered by either defendant, and the Magistrates imposed a fine of 10s. and costs, or seven days' hard labour in each case. KEEPING A DOG WITHOUT A LICENSE.. Edward Rowland, plasterer, Buckley, was summoned by P.C. Thomas Jones for keeping a dog without a license. The officer stated that he saw the clbg, which was a lurcher, racing some sheep, and traced'it to the defendant's house, and on asking for the license it was not produced. The Magistrates imposed a fined of 50s. and the costs. SCHOOL BOARD CASES. Mr. H. Gv Roberts, solicitor, clerk to the Mold School Board, prosecuted in the following cases :— Rowland Jones, disobeying attendance order for one of his children, who had made 94 attendances out of 204, was fined 5s. including costs. Evan Ellis, shoemaker, Pentre, was brought up in custody, having disregarded a summons, charged with neglecting to send his children regularly to school. Mr. Edwards, the school attendance officer, stated that the Board applied for a penalty in the case of Mary Hannah Ellis, daughter of the defendant, in whose case an attendance order was made on the 19th May, since which time she had made 19 out of a possible 197 at- tendances. An order had been made and a fine im- posed in the case of one of his boys, and the boy was not attending yet, and he had got another child who had not yet been to school. The defendant was in regular employment. Mr. Roberts said the fine in the case of the boy had not yet been paid. The defendant pleaded that the children had not baen well for the last month. The Chairman said it was not the last month, but the last six months. P.C. Andrews, who executed the warrant for the de- fendant's apprehension, stated that Mrs. Ellis told him that she would keep the child at home in spite of the School Board or the magistrates. The children seemed all well and healthy, and there seemed a house full of them. The Chairman You will be fined 5s. including costs. The officer of the School Attendance Committee of the Holywell Union proceeded against Thomas Parrg; Nerquis, for disobeying an attendance order of the magistrates as to one of his children. Out of a possible 1126 times, the child had only made 37 attendances. The officer stated that the defendant was a collier. The magistrates imposed a fine of 5s., including costs- HUSBAND AND WIFE. Samuel Bebington, collier, Nantmawr, was summoned for neglecting his wife and child. Mr. Griffiths, relieving officer of the Holywell Union, prosecuted, and stated that the defendant's wife and child became chargeable to the Union on the 10th October, vtthen, on the application of the woman, an order of admission to the-workhouse was granted. The defendant, after leaving Nantmawr, had obtained work at Neston, and was now employed at Buckley. P.C. Thomas Jones (Buckley), in answer ttr. the Bench, said he knew the parties. The man bare a. steady character, and, as far as he knew, the woman, was respectable, but they had lived very uncomfortably since he knew them. After consultation, the magistrates adjourned the case for a month, in order to give the defendant tine to think over an arrangement, either by living again .with, his wife, or paying the Guardians' expenses, and. agree- ing to give her an allowance in fuiaire, failing which, they intimated they would send him to goal for aanonth with hard labour. DRUNK. Edward Williams, plasterer, MoH, wasRummcnedfor being drunk in High-street, Mold, on the 2Oth,of last months The-magistrates convicted, and imposed a fine of 15s. and the costs, or 14. days' hard labour.





[No title]