Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

16 articles on this Page


JfijxriljaXX ntdligcna.





BRYMBO AND BROUGHTCIT. FORTNIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENTS.—One of a series of fortnightly entertainments in connection with the Free Methodist Chapel, Poolmouth, was given on Monday evening last. The Rev. Joseph Bentley presided, and there was a good attendance. The programme consisted of songs, trios, duets, and readings, and the whole entertainment seemed to be much enjoyed. Mr. John Hall presided at the harmonium, and those who took the principal part in the entertainment were members of the choir. Another entertainment will be held on Monday week. LECTURE. — On Monday evening an interesting lecture was delivered in Bethesda Chapel, Brynteg, by the J. Bob?r's, Bryn Zion, on The Work- man and Life" the lecturer dwelling minutely upon the various phases, aspects, and details of a working m m's life, and deducing some very valuable lessons from it, as well as illustrating it by inci- dents from every d -,y life. The chair was occupied by the R ;v. W. Williams, Moriali Chapel, Pentre. There was a very full attendance, and the lecture was listened to with rapt and appreciating attention, the proceeds being applied to the Chapel Funds. ADJOURNED INQUEST.—The adjourned inquest on the body of John Davies, aged 29, a collier, working at the Broughton Colliery, who met his death on the 27th ultimo through an accident, was held at the Cambrian Vaults, Poolmouth, on Monday lasr. Mr. William Barratt was foreman of the jury. There were also present Mr. Hedley, Assistant Inspector of Mines, and Mr. Campbell. The first witness was Mr. David Pryde, who said he was the manager of the Eronghton Colliery, had known deceased, who was a hooker on" above ground at No. 2 pit. He produced a section and plan of the shaft in which the accident took place. Deceased was engaged in assisting to remove an injured guide rope from the pit. It being impossible to remove it at once, it was lifted in pieces of about 25 yards length, each length being below the other. The old guide-rope was fastened by a chain to the carrier, and by this means the rop,) was lifted to the top. It was then received by the men on the bank, who coiled it as it came up. Deceased was in the coil, and by some accident the chain con- necting the guide rope and the carrier broke. The weight of the rope in the pit at once drew back the length on the surface,and deceased being in the coil wasdrawninw the pit, and fell a distance of 130 yards into the Brassey coal seam, where he was found dead. The total depth of the pit was 190 feet, Why the man was in the coil he could not say, but he would have been able to have done his work just as well outside it. The chain that broke was of § iron, and had a breaking stra.in of five or six tons. The weight of the guide-rope was only 12 cwt.— Mr. J. L. Hedlev, Assistant Inspector of Mines, said that he visited the pit on the 30th instant. He saw the chain which broke, minus the faulty link, which could not be found. The working strain on the chain was one ton, whilst the breaking strain was five or six tons. He could not account for the breaking of the chain except bad wielding or bad iron. He could not say why deceased had not stood outside the coil; the foreman should have told his men where to stand. The question was why the chain broke, and why deceased was in the coil. —Daniel Davies, foreman engineer at the colliery, said he was working a number of men at the pit head at about seven a.m. on the morning of the 27th. He then described the way in which the old rope was raised, and how it was received on the bank. He had not placed deceased in his position in the coiL The chain used was one of a number of hauling chains, and was believed to be perfect. They were kept in a cabin secure from the wet. It was comparatively a new chain. He did not inspect, the chain that morning.—John Davies, pitman, said he was in the cage on the morning of the accident. He connected the old rope to the carrier with the chain, which he believed to be good. The carrier was within three feet of the top when the chain broke. He was nearly knocked down the pit him- self. He did not examine the chain.—The Coroner then summed up the evidence, remarking that it was for the officials to inspect the chains used in the pit, and if that had been done, no doubt the accident would have been prevented.—The room was then cleared, and after a short consultation the jury returned of "Accidental death," endorsing the remarks of the coroner. P.C. Henshaw was the officer in charge of the inquest.






i———— RHYL.




£) G%tal Infonuathii.

[No title]