Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

16 articles on this Page








CORWEN. SUDDEN DEATH AT BETTWB GWERFIL Goci-i.- An inquest was held at the Hand Inn, Bettws Gwerfii Goch, on Wednesday last, before William Williams, Esq., deputy coroner for Merionethshire, touching the death of Miriam Thomas, wife of Hy. Thomas, smith, who, as the effects of her husband were being soid by auction on Monday last under an execution from the County Court, fell down dead while she was collecting her clothes in the bedroom. 1 he first witness examined was Margaret Jones, who said she knew the deceased. On Monday last she asked witness if she would go with her upstairs to assist her to get her clothes, to which she con- sented. She then told witness that she had gone quite nervous. They went to the other bedroom and collected the clothes. They went into another bedroom and got her clothes from the box and wrapped them up. Deceased then stated that she had some more on the bed. She proceeded to got something up from the bed when she fell backwards and did not utter a word, but breathed very much. Witness called on for someone to come up and the wife of the schoolmaster came. The deceased then sighed once or twice and died. She never knew I the deceased to have firs, but she was always very dencate. The deceased was at her house for about an hour on Monday afternoon, she told her that she had been informed that her husband was to be taken to goal for carrying away some of his effects. —Elizabeth Williams said she knew the deceased, and last saw her alive between four and five on Monday afternoon last, when she seemed to be in her usual state of health. See was then in her house, which is not five minutes' walk from the house of deceased. She came to her house the second time, and was followed by Mr. John Evans, ironmonger, Cor wen, and Mr. James, solicitor (registrar and high bailiff of the Corwen County Court). The smithy bellows had been at her house keeping, and Mr. John Evans wanted to have possession of it. The bellows had been brought to her house by the husband of the deceased. Mr. John Evans then stated that there was a feather-bed in her house belonging to the deceased, which was untrue. The deceased and witness went out of the house, where- upon Mr. John Evans stated that he would put the deceased safe in gaol the next day, and herself j also on the 10th of next month (Corwen County Court day) for having kept a feather-bed, but which was not in her possession at all. The deceased then appeared very much excited. Mr. John Evans then stated that two policemen would search her house the following day. Mr. J. Evans did not attempt to strike the deceased. There was a sale to be held of the effects on Monday afternoon, and Mr. John Evans was the execution creditor.—Dr. Horatio Edward Walker said he had made a post mortem examination of the body of deceased. The cause of death was paralysis of the heart- in consequence of a shock, coupled with a weak constitution. He wad of opinion that the constitution had been in a state of weakness for some time. He found no marks of violence whatever on the body. Shock to a nervous system would bring on paralysis.—The jury re- turned a verdict of Death from paralysis of the heart," the foreman remarking that the jury found Mr. John Evans to be blamed for causing the shock to the deceased according to evidence.—Mr. James, registrar and high bailiff of the Corwen County Court, attended the irquest, and made a statement as to the levying or the execution on the goods of the deceased's husband by his under bailff, to- gether with the subsequent proceedings.—Several of the jury remarked that no blame could be traced to him or his officers.





[No title]



* - REYL.