Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

14 articles on this Page





[No title]






[No title]



IEUAN GLAN GEIRIONYDD. A MEMORIAL AT TREFRIW. UNVEILING CEREMONY. Tlte fund opened sonic months a.go for tha erection ofarnemorial at. Tre.friw to commemo- rate Ieuaji Glan Geirionydd, the celebrated bard, who claimed the village as his birthplace, was singularly enough accorded hut slight support outside the cLstriet. However, the local com- mittee persevered, and were ultimately ab!e to order Mr William Hughes, of the Monumental Works, Llanrwst, to prepare a memorial stone at the modest cost- of J518. The stone WM re- cently completed, and erected on the roadside opposite Tanycelyn, the cottage home of the bard. on the southern s'ide of the village. On Saturday afternoon, a large number cf Ieuan's admirers from far ami near a.ssemb'ed on the spot to witness the unveiling of the memorial, and to pay their tribute to the genius. The Rev. Evan Davies presided, and the Rev- j Henry Jones conducted the proceedings. Ieuan's vvell-known hymn." Ar for tvmhesfog." etc., having been sung, the Rev. Henry Jones said he was proud to be present on such an occa- sion that should arouse the best feelings in their hearts—the pride of race. He was g'ad to see so many children present, but he would have rejoiced far more if every child in the village had attended and imbued with some of the virtues of one so dear to every true Welshman. He hoped tha.t Trefriw by that inadequate memorial to one of her most brilliant- sons, would stimulate other villages in Wales to give material proof of their appreciation of the great Welshmen who had cast a of £ rk>ry round some of their tle- quester-ed retreats (applause)- The Rev- Evan Davies then formally unvei'ed the pillar, which is of rustic granite (blue rubi- jaw) weighing li tons. The stone is inscribed in gilced letters:— Tanycelyn, Cartref leuan Glan Geirionydd, 1795-1855.. Dyn ardderchog, awenydd per, Sant oerddorol, gweimdog the latter being t.he contribution of lolo Caer- narfon. Mr Davies said the oommittee had intended to embark upon a more adequate memorial scheme, but- their aspirations had to be consider- ably modified through lack of support from out- side the district, had expected the bishops to subscribe generously to tne fund, but had been sadly disappointed. One of the mdit praise- worthy traits in Ieuan's character was his love and care of his parents, who had accorded him an opportunity to acquire learning by sending him to the Llanrwst- Grammar behoof where he made rapid progress, and gained an efficient know ledge of Latin and Greek- His opportunity came :n 1818, when the Rev. John furry, of Chester, while preaching at Trefriw, expressed a wish to have Boston's "Four Conditions of Man," translated into Welsh, and was referred to Ieuan, who kept a school at. Talvbont. Ieuan took charge of the work, and earned Mr Parry's warm gratitude on its completion. From that period he advanced gradually up the ladder of fame. He was undoubtedly a great bard, but he was even a greater litterateur, as his contri- butions to the "Gwladgarwr" amply testified. His genius had won universal recognition, and his hymns everlasting fame (loud applause). Bardic tributes to the bard were recited bv Dewi Deuiyn, Elfvn, Job (Carncddi), Dewi Mai o Feirion, and Mr Maddocks. Mr R. Jones, the chairman of the committee, explained how the movement had been set on foot, and its progress, and added that the com- mittee hoped to clear the balance due on account of the memorial at. the evening entertainment. The hymn "Hyfrvd meddwl ambell dro" was then sung, and the Rev. J. Gower (the rec- tor) said rhey were doing honour to one who had won credit for his native village. Ieuan, although not accorded the privileges a.nd oppor- tunities at present available, had risen to a height, se-Jd()m attained, and left imprints of his work on the hearts of his countrymen, which death itself could not remove. He had "risen from nothing and without aid. exoept the weak efforts of his impoverished parents, and the guid- ing hand of God." They had that day unveiled a memorial stone in his honour, but- Ieuan had a mighty and everlasting oohunn raised to his immortal name in every Church and chapel in Wales, while the influence of his genius em- braced the whole world- Although resting in the silent environments of the grave. Ieuan's contributions to the work of the Church of God were still effective. His hymns had not only earned everlasting fame, but would find a place jn Heaven itself (loud applause). Mr J. D- Jonas, Llanrwst, said that although leuan had passed away his hymns daily reminded his countrymen of the genius who rested calmly in the quiet village churchyard at Trefriw. Mr A darns, of Abermaw, having sjioken a few sentences, the ceremony terminated with the singing of "0 Dduw, rho' im Dy hedd." BIOGRAPHICAL. The Ray. Evan Evans ("Ieuan Glan Geirion- ydd") was born on April 20th, 1795, in a small, old farmhouse on the banks of Geirionydd River from which he derived his bardic title—on tho southern Údoe of Trefriw. His mother, Elizabeth Pr-itcha-rd, was a descendant of a respectable family, whose ancestors had settled at Tanycelyn for several generations- His father. Robert Evan^ a ship's carpenter, was a native of Llanbedr, Merionetlishire. There were five children three daughters and two sons- John and Hannah died in their babyhood. Catherine, the eldest daughter, lived at Tyddyn G wilym, Ul Cwm Cowryd. and was the mother "of the late well-known v bard, "Gwilym Cowiyd,Mary, the second daughter, lived at Wern Fiiwr, Egiwys- bach, and was the mother of "Geirionydd." Ieuan bemg the youngest but one of the issue. Although i.t cannot be said that Ieuan's parents were in affluent ciicumstances, yet at the time of Iris birth and for some years after they were living under comfortable circumstances- Robert Evans kept a wagon and team of horses, a.nd oonveved ptoduoe between Trefri.v and Chester, whaoh proved remunerative- He usually accom- panied the wagon himself, and employed labour- ers to till the Land at Tanycelyn. lIe and his wife were Methodists, and they are said to have be-n the founders of the cause at Trefriw. meet- ings being originally hefcl at a barn at Tanyo&lyn. Robert Evans was a well-educated man, and showed considerable ability a, a- poet- Ieuan commenced hia scholastic caxeer at Trefriw under a Mr Griffiths. Subsequently lie attended the Liawrv/st Grammar School- Having left school he assisted his father for some years at Tanyonifyn. Soon after this his parents experi- enced several serious reverses, with the result that a. large part of the farm stock were sold. Robert Evans also gave up all the land except on field and an orchard, a.nd for some years struggled against adverse circumstances. About- the end of the year 1816, Ieuan took charge of elementary school at Talybont, and it was then that he gave any serious thought to poetry- It was then that he wrote "Princess Charlotte," which wouth-c medal at Llanolwy Eisteddfod in 1817. About the same time he also composed "Marwoiaeth Charles o> Bala." About a year later the Rev. John Parry- of Chester, while preaching at Trefriw, lueard of Ieuan's abilities, and gave him Boston's "Four Conditions of Man" to translate into Weigh. Ieuan aocom- pan led him home, and did his work with such exoejttional ability that he was duly appointed editor of "Goieuad Gwyaedd," a position he 1"-0- linquished in 1820 throug'h ill-itealth. lIe re- turned to his parents, and during Utaeaa he composed "Hiraei.h Cymito am ei and "Cywydd y Bedd," the former winning tiie coveted prize at the Wrexham Eisteddfod. About this 1-inne some of Ieuan's ti»flu*"ritia.! frieruls sug- gested to him that he should qualify for the church- with the result- that he joined the Rev. T- Ricltar-dtf at Aberriew in the year 1820- While a.t Aberriew he wrote the poem "Ylllw)iad y Brenin Sior a Mon. He won the London Cynunro- dorioai prisse with his essay on "Gwiadgarwch" in 1821, and Sa Ciharles Morgan's prize for "Eaglyn ar Theophski-u^ Jones. hanev>ydd Brych- einiog," at the Brecon Eisteddfod in. 1822. After leaving Aberriew Ieuan proceeded to St- Hoe3, where lie remained under Dr. Ainger until 1826, when h returned Îo0 hi8 native village. For a j'hort jwtriod he assktad at St. Martin's Chtftch, Chester, and he was duly appointed to the curacy of ChristJeton, wlwn. lie remained until 1843, wImjjti /1.) was appointed -to llJe icarage (If Inoe. While at Christleton he comjxaaed several hymns, and also the poems "Gwledd Belsliassar" and "Cantre r Gwaelod-" He also published two collections of hymns for the use of St. Martin's Church, the first in 1829 and tiie in 1841, both, including vN"n1 of the hymns composed by himself. Whilt^ at Cli-rishiebon he was a regular contributor to the "Gwyl.iedydd" and other t>er!odioa!s. On May 5th, 1829. he married Miss Wilson, of Vicar's Cross, who died in 1838. In the year 1830 lie published the "Gwladgarwr." which he subsequently transferred to a Mr E. Parry, of Chester- Under, the nom (l 1'1u:l1-e of "Seraph" he publislxxl in 1833 a collection of times for the of public worship, which was <Hj»'«d.ered at the tin-e the beet most plete in the Welsh language. In 1343 he wrote and published "The Claims of the Church 111 Waleu" and "Causes of Dissent in Wales." In 1852 he guv.) up the living at Inoe. and wa-s granted a, pension of £ 100 a year in recognition of his valuable services- From 1852 to 1854 he r-asikied at Trefriw- He wa. aftrwards m t-'ve Rhyl Church, but passed away in ihe year 1858 at the a-ge of 60, and his remains were interred in the Parish Gliurchyaitl in the vault, which aV) held th-e remauus of his parents. Ieuan's mother died on April 13th, 1331, his father on Janu- ary 6th. 1850. Amongst the bartbc tributes was the follow- ing. <oiii|iosfM] by, "R. E," IJanrwst, and re- cited by Mr.Maddocks ei gryd euyd bu Geirionydd. Ar: addien a llawen crdotld yn llywydd Bu n foro ildoniau, Ixi'n fawr dduweinydd, Krys oi. glod yn lur clros y gw'edydd OWIIl Can a gw-en (I gronfa i minion, Nef emyrivdd.


[No title]