Hide Articles List

14 articles on this Page


.THE LEAGUE —Division II.





-Conway v. Greenfield.


Colwyn Bay v. Rhos Rangers.


Colwyn Bay v. Rhos Rangers. (Welsh Amateur Cnp —Fourth Round.) THE BAYITES BEATEN. REFEREE HOOTED. The Rhos Fields, Colwyn Bay, were, on Saturday, the scene of a desperate encounter. The game was under the Welsh Amateur Cup Competition rules, the object being to gain an entrance to the fourth round. The Bayites had had to play six games, two of these being re-plays. Their meeting with Rhos was the first occasion on which they had been drawn at home in the first instance. A record crowd lined the ropes when the teams took the field. The homesters were minus the services of T. Jones, their skilful left back, who was helping Conway in their Junior Cup match at Llan- dudno. E. Reckless was drafted into the team to fill the vacancy, this causing a slight re- arrangement of the players. Mr Hull, of Chester, was down to officiate as referee, but he was unable to be present, and sent Mr G. H. Russell (another Cestrian) to fill his place. The latter had visited Colwyn Bay before in the same competition, when the tie was played with Flint, and on that occasion did not make a good impression amongst the spectators. The teams lined up in the following order:— Colwyn Bay: Goal, W. E. Hughes; backs, H. Hughes and O. E. Williams; halves, R. Camp- bell, E, Raisbeck, and W. Jones; forwards. T. Wellings, W. T. Jones, T. McCann (captain), E. Reckless, and J. Ll. Owen. Rhos Rangers: Goal, Bailiff; backs, *Owen and Jones; halves, T. Hughes, Ll. Denton, and A. Cotton; forwards, E. Owens, W. Phillips, E. Tunnah, T. Reeves, and J. Williams. Referee: Mr G. H. Russell, Chester. Colwyn Bay won the toss, and elected to take advantage of the elope. There was no wind blowing, and the ground was in a far better condition than was expected. A foul against E. Owens proved of no advantage, and the Bay put on the pressure, but the danger was re- lieved. Rhos now took up the running, and Hughes was called upon to save, which he did well. Play was taken to the other end, and the Bay forced a corner, which W. Jones placed nicely, McCann having hard lines in heading over. A flying visit by the Rhos left wing was well stopped by Campbell. A foul further aided the home team, McCann and Wellings trying their luck, but failed to score. J. Ll. Owen tried his luck with a pass from the right, his shot hitting the upright. A foul against Raisbeck was once again given, which put Hughes to the test. The excitement was now very keen, both sides exerting themselves to their utmost. The ball was carried from end to end in quick succession, with the bal- ance slightly in favour of the Bayites. Camp- bell tried a long pot, which the custodian saved nicely. McCann met the clearance, and sent in a terrific shot, which Bailiff cleared miraculously. Continuing to hold the upper hand, the Bay kept pegging away. and their efforts were eventually rewarded, McCann banging the ball in in a manner which gave the custodian no chance. Hats and sticks were thrown in the air as a result of this success, and the supporters called upon their favour- ites to further exert themselves. When well placed, J. Ll. Owen was given offside, and a good opening was thus spoilt. There was no holding the homesters, and they added a second through Reckless. No further scoring was recorded till the interval arrived, when the game stood: Colwyn Bay, 2; Rhos Rangers, 0. Operations were quickly resumed, the Bay-; ites being the first to attack. Reckless was given offside when well placed. Then for ahout fifteen minutes Colwyn Bay had all the play. They continually kept the Rhos defence on the qui vive. But at every attempt to add to the figures, the referee pulled them up for some imaginary rule infringement. The crowd began to tire of his decisions, and loud and strong were the protests against him. The home team began to slacken in their efforts, a good deal of this being probably due to the refereeing. As a result the visitors were allowed to get through, and Tunnah opened their scoring. A second was quickly forth- coming, Reeves heading through. Two more goals were scored by Rhos. The game finally resolved itself to a sorry display, the home team having altogether collapsed. All were glad when the whistle blew, and the game brought to a close. Final scores: Rhos Rangers, 4; Colwyn Bay, 2. After the game a large crowd followed the referee through the town, but happily they were content to hoot him.


Rhyl Church Guild v. Abergele.

Rydal Mount School v. Bangor…

Rydal RLunt (1st) v. Bangor…

-Conway v. Greenfield.