Hide Articles List

7 articles on this Page



Colwyn Bay v. Flint.


Colwyn Bay v. Flint. Welsh Amateur Cup (Replayed).-Third Round. Played at Colwyn Bay on Saturday. Heavy rains fell during the week, and the field was in a rather sodden condition. It will be re- membered that the Bayites were successful in playing a drawn game at Flint the Saturday previous. The referee (Mr G. H. Russell, of Chester), was late in putting in an appear- ance, and the game was, therefore, delayed some time. McCann won the toss, and elected to kick down hill, with the wind at his back. The teams lined up in the following order:- Colwyn Bay: Goal, W. E. Hughes; backs, H. Hughes, and A. N. Other; halves, Campbell, E. Griffiths, and O. E. Williams; forwards, T. Wellings, W. T. Jones, T. McCann (captain), W. Jones, and J. LI. Owen. Flint: Goal, H. Lloyd; backs, J. E. Lloyd and Bentham; halves, J. Rush, J. Price, and W. Jones; forwards, Hampson, O'Neill, Jack- son, E. Evans, and H. O. Williams. Jackson commenced operations, and before many minutes had elapsed W. T. Jones, after a pass from the left, opened the Bay's scoring, Bentham being to blame for missing his kick. This early success put the Bayites and their Supporters on the best of term's with them- selves. Flint now pressed, and with pretty combination they got in close proximity to Hughes. W. Jones next tried a pot, which went outside. A foul against Campbell nearly let in Flint, but the free kick was put behind The Bayites got away, offside against J. Ll. Owen nullifying the attempt. McCann tried a run on his own, but Lloyd cleared by granting a corner. Although the Bay continued to press and had the advantage of the wind, they failed to further their score. Half-time: Colwyn Bay, 1; Flint, 0. The outlook for the Bayites for the second half was very black, and a win for Flint seem- ed very probable. The spectators were looking downhearted, but when the Bayites pressed up the hill they quickly revived, and cheered their favourites as loudly as before. This half was hard fought, and both ends were vis- ited in turn. Several chances were missed by the Bayites, and the same can be said of the visitors, who were not equal to the task of beating the sharp defence of the homesters. McCann and Wellings were the only forwards of the Bayites to get away, and they were on some occasions extremely unlucky. No scoring was recorded during this half, and thus the Bayites retired winners by the narrow margin of a goal to nil. Final: Colwyn Bay, 1; Flint, 0. Notes on the Game. Colwyn Bay, although winners, were not in their usual happy form. The defence, with the exception of Campbell, was very sound, but the player mentioned was not in his usual form. McCann was the star of the team, and although he did not score he initiated some very fine movements, which, however, were not improved upon. Wellings and W. T. Jones were a splendid wing, but W. Jones and J. Ll. Owen on the left were sadly off colour. For Flint the defence was good, and played a sound game with the exception of the miskick on the part of Bentham, which led to the downfall of their goal. O'Neill was the shining hdlt of a smart forward line, and received great help from his confreres. Colwyn Bay will now meet Rhos Rangers at Colwyn Bay on February 17th.

Llanrwst v. Portmadoc.

[No title]

- North Wales Coast Football…

Penmaenmawr Town Improvement…