Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

4 articles on this Page




DISASTER ON THE HOLYHEAD LINE. GOODS TRAIN PRECIPITATED INTO THE SEA. DRIVER AND STOKER DROWNED. NARROW ESCAPE OF A PASSENGER TRAIN. As briefly reported in our last issue, a ter- rible disaster occurred on the Holyhead line at Penmaenbach, near Penmaenmawr, shortly before midnight on Thursday. Some time dur- ing the severe storm that prevailed, the em ban kment carrying both up and down lines was carried away by the encroachment of The sea, which was lashed into terrible fury by the gal P. The great gap lefb in the line was not di *s- covered until a luggage train from Manchester to Holyhead, which passed through Chester at 9.10, plunged into the abyss. The engine and several waggons were buried at once in the seething waters, and both the fireman and en- gine-driver lost their lives. As soon as this disaster was discovered, infor- mation was sent to Chester, and Mr. Neale, the superintendent, and his assistant, Mr. Dent, proceeded to the spot, where also followed a break-down gang. Repairing the line at once was quite out of the question, in consequence of the magnitude of the task, and arrangements were made by which passengers were conveyed by coach from Penmaenmawr to Conway. The passengers from both Holyhead and London suffered great delay and inconvenience. The down mail from London was detained at Ches- ter from 1.30 a.m. until 8.30. The passengers were made as comfortable as possible during their visit Some of them spent the time in the Queen's Hotel, opposite. A number repaired to the waiting rooms, in which large fires were lighted, and the remainder preferred sleeping in their carriages. The up mail from Holyhead was similarly delayed, and the passengers, who should have reached Chester at 2.12 a.m., did not arrive until about 9.50. The train was a fast express goods from Man- chester to Holyhead, the only stoppage being at Llandudno Junction. It consisted of an engine, 13 trucks, and brakevan. Though a frightful wind was blowing, the train kept correct time, arriving at the scene of the accident at 11.3. A short distance from the spot the train was met by a platelayer, who gave warning of the dan- ger ahead, another man having been despatched on a similar errand on the down side. The driver, however, failed utterly to pull up in time, and his engine turned over and fell headlong into the yawning gap, followed by ten of the trucks, all of which were then buried completely from sight in the sea. The remain- der of the train came to a standstill as soon as the engine came in contact with the ground many yards below, with the result that, the couplings being intact, the remaining three trucks and the brakevan remained on the rails above. Until the goods train came up, the metals, as will have been seen, were not inter- fered with by the washing away of the ballast. Edward Evans and O. E. Jones, the driver and fireman respect vely, both of Holyhead, went down with their ill-fated engine, and were drowned. The brakesman had a most narrow escape. The passenger train due at Bangor at 10 37 arrived safely, which proves that the, ac- cident must have occurred shortly afterwards. The bodies of the engine driver and the stoker were washed out to sea. That of the driver was recoved in Conway Bay on Monday morning, and conveyed to Conway. He leaves a widow and nine children. The stoker was a married man.