Hide Articles List

9 articles on this Page

Family Notices

WELSH MARKETS.

, CATTLE MARKETS, AND FAIRS.

THE NEW BISHOP OF ST.. DAVID'S.

'NOT TO THE PUBLIC ADVANTAGE;

SLINGS AND ARROWS. _..

DENBIGH.

- DEATH OF COUNCILLOR THOMAS…

News
Cite
Share

DEATH OF COUNCILLOR THOMAS ANDREWS. IT is with the greatest regret that we have to record the death of our respected fellow- townsman, Councillor Thomas Andrews, which took place about half past one on Monday morning. About six weeks ago, Mr. Andrews was called to Wolverhampton, to attend at the death-bed of his father, and contracted a bad cold, which developed into bronchitis. Pneumonia shortly afterwards supervened, and the patient was reported to be in a very critical state about the 6th inst. Dr. David Lloyd had been unremitting in his attention and on Sunday, the 7th) Dr. Dobbie, of Chester, was called in, and arrived shortly after nine p.m. It was then reported that the patient was slightly better, and the improvement was partially maintained for two or three days. Restless- ness, and symptoms of the weakening of the heart's action, however, returned, and the slight improvement fell off. On Saturday night, Mr. Andrews was very uneasy; and on Sunday, showed but little improvement. On Sunday night, his condition grew rapidly worse; and it was seen that the patient was sinking, despite all the skill and unremitting attention could do. About liftlf past one, on Monday morning, he passed away, failure of the heart's action being the immediate cause of death. The neo, s of his death was everywhere received with the profoundest regret, and it v not too much to say that the whole town was plunged into genuine heart-felt sorrow. A large number of the most influential residents called to express their sympathy with the widow and the relatives of the deceased in their affliction. The flacr was hoisted half mast on the Town Hali, and remained so until after the funeral. Mr. Andrews was born at Denbigh in the year 1845, and after having spent pome time in England returned to his native town, where he became one of the most respectable and well-known tradesmen, having first kept the Star Vaults. He subsequently removed to the Old Vaults, where his business soon developed into one of the largest of its kind in the town. Mr. Andrews, although connected with the liquor traffic, was a total abstainer, and his house was well-known for its excellent management. In 1891, Messrs R Humphreys-Roberts, Edward Thomas, John Jones, and David Hamer were the retiring councillors, and Mr. Andrews was among those nominated as candidates for the Town Council. He con- sented to stand upon that occasion, and together with Messrs Thomas Davies, W. H. Evans, and R. H. Roberts, was re- turned unopposed. In 1894, Mr. Andrews was among the retiring councillors, and decided to seek re election. The fact that he was then returned at the head of the poll with 603 votes speaks well of the estimation in which his services as a Town Councillor were held by the electors. He was appoint- ed chairman of the Highway and Fire Brigade Committees of the Council, and was also chairman of the Castle Committee. He took great interest in his public duties as a councillor, and many improvements in the Castle, and other parts of the town were carried out under his direct supervision. Mr. Andrews was a member of the Capel Mawr C. M. church, and took great interest in matters connected with the chapel, especial- ly the Sunday School. In politics, he was a Liberal. As a man, he was one of the most genial and kind-hearted, and his generosity was widely known, although his charitable actions were always done in a quiet and unassuming manner. He was greatly inter- ested in the prosperity of the town of Den- bigh, and his death will be a great loss, especially to the poor of the district. The funeral, which was a public one, took place on Thursday afternoon, at Wbitchnrch, and was one of the largest ever seen in town. All along High street and Vale street, blinds were drawn and shops were closed and indeed, the whole town exhibited signs of mourning. A short service was held at the house, Mr. Gee officiating. The cortege started shortly after half past one in the following order. Dr. Lloyd, Mr. Gee, aad Eev. Evan Jones. Members of Friendly Society. Fire Brigade. Mayor and Corporation (including officials and workmen). Sunday School Class. The Hearse. Mourning Coaches. Men Relatives, on foot. Brake for old people, and carriages. The general public, three abreast. The Undertakers. The chief mourners were :—Mrs. Andrews (widow), Mrs. Jones, Llansannan, (sister-in- law), Mr. and Mrs. John Andrews (brother and sister-in-law), Miss Bella Jones and Miss Dora Andrews (nieces), Messrs Johnny Andrews and Morris Jones (nephews), Miss Edith Andrews, Miss Mary Jones, Mrs. Johnny Andrews (nieces), Messrs. Arthur, Ernest, and John Thomas Andrews, and Harry, and John Jones (nephews). A short service was held at the grave side, the Rev. Evan Jones officiating. The coffin, which was of polished oak, with brass fittings was made by Mr. W. Wheeler, and the inscription on she plate had been executed by Mr. John Evans (foreman at Mr. Mellard's establishment). Beautiful wreaths were sent by a large number of relatives and friends. The undertakers were Messrs. T. J. Williams and T. R, Jones. III

TOWN , COITNCIL.