Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

16 articles on this Page





LLANDYSSILIOGOGO. SAD FATALITY. Mr J. H. Evans, Newcastle Emlyn, coroner for Cffrdigan district, and a jury of whom Mr Joshua Griffiths, was foreman, held an inquest at Ffynoniwan, Llandyssilio ogo, on the 12th inst., on the body of one David Jones, farmer's son of Llynddu farm, who met with his death on the previous Tuesday, in a most sad and painful manner as disclosed in the evidence follo wing :J ames Edwards, of Bridge-street, Llandyssul,labourer, stated: SincelastSeptember, I have been working at Llynddu farm, Llandyssil- gogo, occupied by Margaret Jones, widow, who was deceased's mother. After leaving Llynddu on Tuesday afternoon, about 1.30. p.m. with deceased, we went each with a pair of horses to a field called Caemaen or Parkyfoel. Deceased was working across ways and I was working from top to bottom of the field. Deceased had two young fillies attached to his plough, I had observed that the horses in deceased's plough were restive several times and I proposed to him that we should change spots as his part of the field was more awkward for ploughing purposes than mine. Deceased declined to change then, but said he would do so later on. The bay filly was very restive and he gave a hard pull to the line when the plough had just been turned, and she started on to the other filly which was on her left, Deceased let go the plough and went on to the left side of it for the purpose of holding the horses, and getting them back to position, but they both crossed over, and the plough caused deceased to fall in to the plough as it were with his legs in front, and the horses dragged him along for ten or twelve yards. I caught hold of the bay filly which was the most restive of the two and deceased cried out" 0, James bach, hold the filly for me to get my leg loose." I observed deceased's trousers torn and in a bloody state, and that the fore part of the plough had gone into his leg. 1 did everything in my power to keep the horses in such a position as to enable deceased to extricate himself and he did so at last success- fully and got up and walked a few yards and fell suddenly face downwards. He had got the plough out of his leg, and I observed the blood spouting from his thigh and think a bucket full must have run. Deceased when falling, said" 0 run down and tell them to come up." I took the horses cut and I think deceased was living at that time. One of the horses had run away and I took the other quickly, and told Anne Jones, deceased's sister- in-law that David was dying-she went out and into the field immediately, and deceased's mother followed. Mrs Anne Jones, wife of master mariner, Ffynoniwan, said I remember Tuesday afternoon, the 10th inst., being told of the accident, I ran there at once, and found deceased lying face downwards in the field. There was a pool of blood about him. He was only just alive apparently and breathed his last immediately on my arrival. His mother arrived in about five minutes after me, he was then dead. I observed that his trousers were torn on the left thigh and that there was blood all over it, deceased was 38 old and a farmer's son.—The Coroner having summed up very briefly, the jury returned a verdict of "Death from a wound caused by a plough drawn by restive horses."