Hide Articles List

23 articles on this Page




















EMLYN. A DEPUTATION consisting of the following gentlemen and others waited on the sub-committee of the Cardiganshire County Council at the Salutation Hotel, Newcastle-Emlyn, on Friday :-r C. H. L. Fitzwilliams (Cilgwyn), Dr Davies (Abercerri), Mr J. H. Evans (Brynmarlog), Dr Powell (Adpar), Mr Gwynne Davies (National Bank of Wales), Mr H. H. Roberts (Salutation Hotel), Mr E. E. Mathias, and Mr Elias Thomas.— Mr Fitzwilliams said that a petition had been presented to the Great Western Railway Company praying for an alteration in the name of their station at Newcastle-Emlyn, and that the railway authorities bad replied stating there would be no objection, provided the inhabitants desired it. He said that a great deal of inconvenience had been caused by letters and parcels being forwarded tj Newcastle. upon-Tyne, N ewcastle-under-Lyme. N ew- castle-Staff, Little Newcastle, and other similarly uamed places. All the signa- tories of the petition were anxious to chauge the name of Newcastle-Emlyn to Emlyn." —The Chairman (Mr W. O. Brigstocke) said that a communication bad been brought to them by Mr Thomas Jones, on behalf of Earl Cawdor, protesting against the change. Mr Fitzwilliams said Mr Thomas Jones had signed the petition. — Mr J. H. Evans said they would be wanting in courtesy if they expressed their views merely to the council for Cardiganshire and not also to Carmarthen- shire.—The Chairman was understood to say that the council for Carmarthenshire had already been informed of the matter.—Mr Evan Evans proposed that if it was the wish of the inhabitants a minute should be made in the records of the council approving of the suggestion.—Mr Evan Davies seconded, and the proposition was carried unani- mously.—Mr Enoch Davies asked what the name of Adparside was.—Dr Powell replied" T,ef- hedyn."—Mr J H Evans stated that formerly Newcastle was known as Dinas-Emlyn," and was referred to as such in Sir Walter Scott's poems. A WOMAN BURNED TO DEKTH. -Late on Satur- day night a fire broke out in a small cottage in Castle-street in the above town, by which a woman named Sarah Jones lost her life, and the house with all its contents was completely destroyed. The house being situated in a somewhat desolate part of the town, the fire was not discovered until two o'clock on Sunday morning, by which time the building had been burnt to the ground and the unfortunate woman bad perished in the flames. Police-sergeant Williams and some of the neighbours, who had been called together, immediately made a search for the body, which was soon found, but the features of the deceased were quite unrecognisable, and both arms and one of the legs had been burnt to cinders. It is thought that the deceased's benzoline lamp set fire to the bed, the woman failing to extinguish the flames. On Monday an inquest was held at the magistrates'-room, Newcastle-Emlyn, before Mr Thomas Walters, deputy-coroner, on the b-ody of Sarah Jones, who was bnrnt to death late on Saturday night.—The first witness called was the deceased's son, Henry Jones, Green Park, Pentre- cagal, who said the last time he saw his mother alive was about three weeks ago. Early on Sunday morning he was called up by a messenger from the town, and he went back with him. On arriving at his mother's house he found it burnt to the ground, and he ascertained that the deceased's body had been placed in a shed opposite. He did not see the body, as he did not wish to, but from what he was told it was burnt almost to cinders. —Mrs Rachael Macaloone, of the White Hart Inn, said the deceased came to her house about seven o'clock on Saturday evening, and stayed about half an hour, during which time she took two glasses of beer. Witness could not say she was drunk, but from her appearance she could tell she had been drinking.— Mr Wm. Davies, tinman, said at about eight p.m. on Saturday he was putting up the shutters of his shop, and deceased passed towards her house in Castle-street. He could not tell if she bad been drinking, but she was humming a song. His attention was called to her house when on fire about two o'clock on Sunday morning. It was soon burnt to the ground. He and others searched for the body and found part of it underneath the debris. He had no hesitation in saying that it was the body of Sarah Jones. The right leg and both arms had been bnrnt off, as was also the back of the skull.—William James Evans, rural post messenger, having given evidence, the Coroner briefly summed up, and the jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased was burnt to death, but how the fire originated was unknown.