Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

8 articles on this Page



CARMARTHEN COUNTY PETTY SESSIONS. SATURDAY.—Before Messrs. Grismond Phillips (in the chair), J. L. Philipps, C. W. Jones, A. W. J. Stokes, and the Rev. R. G. Lawrence. The court-room was crowded with the general public. AN ERROR. Supt. Scott brought a charge against three persons, who were defended by Mr J. D. Valentine Jones, solicitor, Swansea, who said that an error had occurred in the three summonses, namely, May being stated instead of June, and accordingly he was not able to get his witnesses into court in time. After some discussion, it was decided by consent to adjourn the summonses to that day fortnight. Mr Valentine Jones applied for a cross-summons against Supt. Scott for assault on one of his clients, but was refused. AN EXPENSIVE DOG-FIGHT. Thomas Davies, Priory-street, Carmarthen, clerk, was charged by Inspector Charles Lascelles, on behalf of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, with having incited Iii.i dog to fight at Ferryside, on Sunday, the 15th ult. Mr Brunei White, Carmarthen, appeared for defendant. Mr White said he regretted that Davies was not present in court that day, but as he was instructed to defend, he was going to make as good of an attempt as possible to do so. The defendant's employer, Mr Thomas Jenkins, merchant, was away from home, and he could not possibly leave the. office to attend. As it was a criminal case defendant's mouth would be shut owing to his not being allowed to give evidence, and therefore it did not matter so much that lie was absent, but he assured the Bench that he was not absent from any disrespect to them. It was decided to go on with the case on the defendant being sent for. The witnesses were ordered out of court, and the first called was Thomas Williams, Ferryside, fisherman, who said that on Sunday, the 15th ult about 6.30 p.m., he was on the Ferryside sands with some lads. He saw the defendant with others on the beach watching a bulldog running into the water after an old tinpot they threw in. He also had a bull bitch with him. Some females were going along followed by Mr Walton's dog. As soon as defendant and the company saw the third dog they ran towards it, when it began to run away. Someone in the group incited the defendant's bull dog, which jumped on, and the fight began. Mr Walton's dog was a mastiff. Davies was "hussing" his dog, shouting, "Catch him up, old boy," and such epithets. The mastiff was trying to get away. Davies put his own dog on to fight. Once defendant got hold of the mastiff's hind legs in order that his own dog might have a good chance. It lasted in that way for about ten minutes, when the mastiff ran towards the station followed by defendant and his two dogs, and the fight was carried on again for a long time. Both dogs were covered with blood and injured about the head mostly. It was dangerous to try and stop the dogs, as the defendant was up with his fists at once, saying he would strike anyone that interfered. He could not say that defendant was drunk he was steady enough, but excited. Cross-examined by Mr White—He was sitting on the sands about 50 yards from the dogs. The mastiff was not as high as a calf, nor did he think it weighed 112 lbs. He saw defendant taking his dogs from the station they were not muzzled, and were very quiet. The boarhound or mastiff did not go on towards the bull bitch first. He did not hear anyone tell Mary Griffiths, Mr Walton's servant, to take the mastiff away, as there would certainly be a fight. Defendant called his two dogs from the water purposely. He did not hear Davies say that he was going to exhibit his dogs at the Carmarthen dog show that week and that they had been spoiled owing to the fight. Mary Griffiths, widow, servant to Mr Walton, the owner of the mastiff, said that on the day in question she went on the sands with a female friend, followed by her master's do! She met Davies coming towards her with his two dogs. The three dogs began to play together she passed on and saw nothing further. Cross-examined—Her dog was about the size of a calf. William Harvey did not say anything to her. Her dog was very inoffensive, and was friendly with all the children of the village. It was very badly cut on the side and head. John Williams, Ferryside, fisherman, cor- roborated the former witnesses, and further stated that the dogs ran from the sands to the station, where the bull bog and mastiff went into the urinal. Defendant followed and shut the door. When the dogs came out they were loose and covered with b'ood. [Davies, the defendant, here entered the court, and witness recognised him as the man he >aw goingjinto the urinal.] William E. Phillips, Ferryside, said he was going to chapel about 6.30, and saw the dogs ru ining from the sands with the defendant following, shouting" Catch him old bny," Leg him," Kill him," and so on. Both defendant's dogs were hanging on to the mastiffs throat. John Nicholas, signalman, and P.C. Richards, Ferryside, were also examined. Mr White, having addressed the Bench for the defence, called upon William Harvey, Carmarthen, Post Office clerk, who said that on the day in question he went down to Ferryside by the five o'clock train. He was not in company with Davies, but he saw him on the sands with his two dogs. He and the com- pany with him were throwing a tin jug into the water and the bull dog was diving after it. The bull bitch was on the sands. Mr Walton's dog was between a bloodhound and a mastiff. The bloodhound was cantering towards the bull bitch. He told Mary Griffiths to take the dog away or there would be a big row, and she said, Oh it is not my dog it is big enough to look after itself," and at the same time the mastiff took hold of the bull dog by the head and neck. He shouted to Davies, Run on and stop them, or it will kill your dog." Davies never aid anything to the dogs. The bitch did not interfere at all. They went up to the station and entered the urinal. He then left, and did not see any more. Thomas Williams, the first witness, was not there-at least lie was not near enough to hear whether Davies said anything or not. 0 Mr White said he would not call any more witnesses, as they would only give direct con- tradiction to the Ferryside witnesses, and, as he dared say, the bench had already arrived at a verdict against his client. He knew he had a hard case to answer, but he hoped they would not be prejudiced by the evidence given against him. The Bench, in a short time, said they con- sidered the case proved, and defendant would be fined £ 5 including costs, or one month's imprison- ment. The money was paid down. OCCASIONAL LICENCE. Mr White, solicitor, made an application for David Howells, Castle Hotel, Llanstephan, for an occasional licence to keep his premises open on the 9th inst. from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Thursday morning, on the occasion of a ball given by Mr. Percy Whetlan, Llanstephan. WEIGHTS AND MEASURES. Inspector J. Rees charged Benjamin Jjnes, Cwrt, in the parish of Merthyr, for having two weights, unjust by four ounces, in his possession. Defendant's wife appeared and said they never used the weights in the shop. Fined (id and cl costs.