Hide Articles List

14 articles on this Page

THE BABY BARBER.

DRESSING FOR BOOTS.

POT POURRI.

"HOW TO BE B FAiu rifu L.

MISCELLANEOUS.

A CURIOUS DISCOVERY IN THE…

A CURE FOR HYDROPHOBIA.

ELASTIC SHOES FOR HORSES.

ANIMALS AND MUSIC.

GRAND EISTEDDFOD AT LLANDILO.

LAMPETER.

THE NAVAL REVIEW.

News
Cite
Share

THE NAVAL REVIEW. The Review, in honour of the German Emperor, ordered for Saturday last was post- poned in conbequence of the gale that pre- vailed on that day. On Monday the day broke dark and threatening, but befoie eleven o'clock the clouds had rolled away, and given place to a bright sun and fresh breeze, that curled the water cheerfully. The torpedo boats who bad taken refuge in the harbour, returned to their moorings at Spithead in the early morning, and the fleet dressed ships" their flags streaming out upon the breeze, each ship flying the German as well as the English ensign. The ships lay moored in three lines extending from over two miles; the torpedo boats forniing a separate flotilla. At 2.30 the Emperor accompanied by the Prince of Wales, Prince Henry of Prussia, Prince George of Wales, and the Commander- in-Chief, embarked on board the Alberta, from which yacht they went on board the Victoria and Albert, where they were re- ceived by the Lords of the Admiralty. A Royal salute from the German fleet announced that the inspection had begun. Preceeded by the Trinity yacht Galatea, the Victoria and Albert moved slowly towards the westward extremity of the great line of ironclad monsters, followed by the Hohenzollern, the Osborne, the Enchantress, and the Magdalena. As the column of yachts entered between the lines there broke forth the smoke and noise of a Royal salute, and the wind was too strong to allow of manning the yards with safety. The crews of iach ship manned the rigging, and cheered in succession as the Emperor I passed, while the marines on deck presented arms. The fleet was moored in three lines-the central comprising the' A squadron-to the south lay the B squadron, and to the north C D E F and G squadrons of lighter ships, while further in shore and nearer the harbour lay the torpedo boats. The Victoria and Albert steamed slowly to the eastward be- tween the A squadron and the light squadrons, and then turning passed between A and B squadrons. The first ships the Emperor saw were the Spider and Sandfly gunboats, sister ships to the Grasshopper and Rattlesnake, powerful vessels capable of steaming over 3,000 miles without replenishing their coal stores, and have cost some L40,000 apiece. Then came the Mohawk, sister ship to the Tartar, Racoon and Serpent, steel unprotected cruisers capable of steaming 7,000 miles with 475 tons of coal. The Medea, a sister ship to the Medusa. The Marathon and Melpomene twin screw cruisers built of steel and sheathed in wood. The Thames and Forth deck protected twin screw cruisers. The Aurora, built at Pembroke in 1886, with 10 inch armour. The Narcissus, Galatea and Undaunted, sister ships to the Aurora. The Rupert, a coast defence turret ship, with 12 inch plating. The Howe bearing the flag of the Commander-in-Chief; one of our most powerful vessels of the Admiral class, with armour 18 inch thick, and a steel deck of three inch plates. The Shannon, a three masted armoured cruiser, built at Pembroke in 1875. The Conqueror, sister ship to the Hero, and both very powerful vessels. The Warspite, a barbetted twin screw cruiser, with armour 12 inch thick. The Hercules, a handsome fully rigged vessel, with a broad- side battery. The Black Prince, the most beautiful of our ships, but somewhat out of date; she is one of the oldest ironclads, and in appearance is like one of the heavy wooden frigates of 30 years ago. The Northampton, a broadside armoured cruiser. The Invincible, a broadside ironclad, with 8 inch armour. The Ajax, a double turret vessel, the turrets protected by 16 inch plates. The Neptune, a double turret ship, built from South America, and the Rodney, a barbette vessel of the Admiral class, carrying 18 inch armour, and having cost three quarters of a million. These vessels comprised the A squadron. The Royal yacht, turning round the leading ship, re-entered the line passing between the A and B squadron, which was composed of the Anson, bearing the flag of Admiral D'Arcy Irvine, C.B. — a powerful vessel built at Pembroke in 1886, and carry- ing four 67 ton guns. The Collingwood, a sister ship to the Inflexible, armoured over the central portion with 24 inch plates, and carry- ing four 80 ton guns in turrets. The Monarch, turret ship, the Iron Duke, the Northumberland, the longest vessel we possess, carrying 5! inch armour, and the flag of Admiral Baird. The Camperdown, sister ship to the Auson. The Devastation, a re- markably ugly, but powerful, useful vessel, built by Sir E. Reid, at Pembroke in 1875. The Hero, a vessel that may be classed with the Devastation in point of ugliness and of power. The Immortality and AustraHA, ships of the Galatea class, and the Calypso, a beatitiful partly armoured cruiser, and sister ship to the Calliope, who distinguished her- self, the other day at Samoa. The Royal yacht when between the Calypso and Howe, dropped her anchor, the command- ing officers of all the vessels were called on board, and had the honour of being pre- sented to the Emperor. The ceremony over the yacht proceeded on her course to Osborne, where the Royal party landed amidst a part- ing salute from the fleet.

LLANDAFF CATHEDRAL SCHOOL.

[No title]