Hide Articles List

14 articles on this Page








Football. HOLYWKLL RESERVS v. OSBOENB (Champions of the West Derby and District League). -Played on the ground of Holywell F.C., on Good-Friday morning, in miserable weather, and before a meagre crowd. The game wAs interrupted by heavy showers, aud was minus anything brilliant.. Final resit:- Holywell Reserve, 8 goals Osborne, 2 goals. HOLTWKLL 'A' v. BIBKBNHEAD ST. JOHIf.ALt Holywell, on Good-Friday afternoon, the attendance was good, and the weather having cleared up the game turned out a capital one. The visitors' played well, and their defeat of six goals to nil, does not represent the play, as they got a fair share of the interchanges. The Holywell eleven exhibited rare form B.-Edwards, at half-bank, being prominent. Final result:—Holywell, 6 goals Birkenhead St. John, 0 goals. HOLYWELL RESBBVE V. ST. MATHIAS (LIVBEPOOL). —Played at Holywell on Easter Monday morning, before a small gate. A poor game resulted in a win for Holywell Reserve by 4 goals to nil. The match Holy well Reserve v. Liverpool Ivanhoe played immediately after the above, provided a muoh better exposition of the game, and resulted in honors even. The scoring was done in the first half. Final result: Holywell Reaerve, 2 goals; Liverpool Ivanhoe, 2 goals. RnYL v. FiaNT.-This Flintshire League match was played at Victoria- park, Rhyl, on Saturday, in dull weather and before a fair crowd, ending in a draw of one goal each. RHIL V. WHITE STAB WANDEBERs.-This match was played at the Victoria-park, Rhyl, on Monday, in grand weather and before a large orowd. Result: Rhyl, 4 goals; Visitors. 1 goal. WBBXHAM v. NKWTOWW.—The final Welsh Cup- tie was played at Oswestry on Monday, before 6,000 spectators. Newtown pressed, and Jardine saved magnificently several times. Wrexham then bad three good openings, but failed to make use of them. Half-time, no score. On resuming A. Swetenham missed a good ohanoe. The game was stoutly con- tested throughout, but Newtown had hard luck just before time. Williams scored for Wrexham, and eventually won by 2 goals to nil. WELSH JUNIOR CUP-FINAL TIE.—COPPENHALL V. RHOS EAOLK WANDEBEBS. —This tie was played at Buokley on Saturday, in wild weather, and on a ground which bad practically been turned into a swamp by the rain. Coppenhail played with a strong wind behind them in the first half, but Rhos were the first to score, Griffith putting the ball through. Then Betts scored twioe for Coppenhall. Half-time, Coppenhall, 2; Rhos, 1. Final, Ooppen- hall, 3 Rhos, 2. CHESTEB P.S.A. v. CONNAH'S QUAY. -These teams met at Eaton-park, Chester, on Monday, to replay the final of the Hospital Saturday Cup Competition. Tneir previous meeting resulted in a pointless draw. The P.S.A. playing uphill, scored early, and added a second before half-time. In the second half they had matters praotically their own way. The visitors seamed to have lost all heart in the matoh, and the P.S.A. played up in resistless style, scored four more goals, and won by six goah to nil. At the conclusion of the game the cup was presented to the victors by Mr Thomas, chairman of the Hospital Saturday Committee. I HOLYWBLL v. BABNTON ROVERS.—The annual Easter Monday football match provided by the Holy- well Football Club was favoured with fine weather on the whole, although a slight shower fell during its progress. The vitiitors this year were the well-known combination team (Barnton Rovers), and a fair crowd had assembled to see the event. Mr J. H. Hague refereed. The home captain won the toss and played with the wind in his favour, and at onoe the Barnton defenoe was given plenty to do a weakness in the home attack, however, ended in several fine chances being entirely lost. Barnton played up and sent behind but this only proved a flying visit, for the homesters once more assumed the aggressive, and J. Williams drew first blood with a fine shot. Con- tinuing to press Holywell had almost the whole of the game, and kept the visitor's defence busy, Half-time result, Holywell 1 goal, Barnton 0 goals. Resuming, Barnton .t.ecl off bui were brought up the atrudy defence of the homo team. W. O. Jonea became noticeable for some really brisky work, and finished up by soaring a fiue goal, This was but the begiaing of a number of suocesses, and settling down to work the Holywell team ran up their score to 3 goals, when Barutoa scored from a free kick, From the centre kick, the home forwards ran clean away and added another which was followed by a fifth just in time. Final result: Holywell, 5 goals Barnton, 1 goal.