PRINCE AT ABERYSTWYTH. H J 3 WELCOME TO In ROYALTY. <0 f CYMRU AND HER ROYAL NAMESAKE. GRAND RECEPTION. ROYAL, LOYAL WALES. EXTRAORDINARY ENTHUSI- ASM. THE CEREMONIAL AT ABERYSTWYTH. GRAND GREETING TO OUR FUTURE QUEEN. THE WELSH UNIVER- SITY. ROYAL CHANCELLOR INSTALLED. BRILLIANT SCENES, HONORARY DEGREES CON- FERRED. THE PRINCESS AS DOCTOR OF MUSIC. GRAND OLD MAN'S" WELCOME. HISTORY OF THE UNIVER- SITY. OPENING OF WOMEN'S HOSTEL. MAGNIFICENT DISPLAY OF LOYALTY. His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales ns yesterday formally installed Chancellor Of the University of Wales, and the event was made the occasion of a brilliant lemonstration at Aberystwyth, the home of be first College, and for long the centre and stimulus of educational effort in the Princi- pality. The Prince, who was accompanied by the Princess and his daughters, stayed at Plas Machynlleth on Thursday evening as Ibe guest of Lord Londonderry, and yestcr- R.R.EL PRINCESS OF WALES. (Photo by Lafayette, Dublin.) Jay morning travelled the short Intervening Itotance to Aberystwyth by special train, feceiving there a right royal welcome. imong the great concourse assembled was e veteran statesman to whom Wales is so inuoh indebted, and upon whom in recogni- tion of the help afforded by his Administra- tion, one of the first of the honorary iegrees was conferred. Mr Gladstone was accompanied by Mrs Gladstone, and by his daughter. The invited guests numbered no fewer than two thousand, ind as the programme for the day was a jrery full one, a visit to the College following the installation, and this in turn by formal opening of the Women's Hostel and of the sew Cliff Railway, the enormous gathering at spectators was favoured with frequent opportunity for seeing the Royal party and )be host of attendant notabilities.
HOW THE UNIVERSITY AROSE. A RECORD Off HONOtTK TO THE WBLSB PEOPLE. The history of the educational movement I hi Wales reads like a romance. When we regard the magnificent educational system which the Principality is to-day endowed with, a system complete in every detail from the free Elementary school to the National University, it is difficult to realise that thousands are yet alive who can recall the PRINCIPAL VIKIAMU JONES. F.RS. Vice-Chancellor of University. (Photo by Dighton, Cardiff.) tine, and that not so long ago, when tho country was without even a decent number of Elementary schools, and that so recently as 1853 the University now brought into actual operation was no more than a crude suggestion. One writer In a Welsh magazine not many weeks ago complained thac this question of education in Wales had been written to death. The magazines, both Welsh and English, patiocal and denominational, which claimed the slightest connection with Wales, have *9r years dieussed educational topioe, and he would be a bold man indeed who would venture to calculate the number of papers and articles that have been written giving a sketch of some phase or other of the educa- tional movement in Wales. The people, seemed to have GONE MAJD ON EDUCATION, and the writer we refer to saw in this an opportunity for adverse criticism. Bub after all the magazine articles were but a reflection of the national mind, for it is no exaggeration to state that in Wales the, people have for the last 30 or 40 years been absorbed in the education movement, and, as Principal Viriamu Jones has pointed out, the history of Wales during the last 25 years has been little else than the history of its educational progress. What is more remarkable, needing special emphasis, is the fact that the movement from its very in- ception has been in every sense of the term a PURELY DEMOCRATIC MOVEMENT, r initiated by the people, maintained by the people, and carried to a gloriously successful issue by the united efforts of the people. It would be interesting to trace the origin of the movement which has brought about this revolution. Principal Viriamu Jones, in his interesting paper on the Welsh University, read at Liverpool last November, traces its genesis to the religious revival which passed over Wales a century ago, and which was an awakening of national life. It developed a spiritual life, he said, that found a natural out- come in a real reverence for knowledge, a reverence that penetrated to the humblest homes; and many and pathetic are the I records of NOBLE SELF-SACRIFICE on the part of Welsh parents to secure for their sons this gift of knowledge at a time when it was hard to reach, by reason of the absence of educational opportunity in their country. This reverence for knowledge, with the advent of a true democratic ideal- the only true democratic ideal-the ideal of a State in which all should be cultivated citizens —has given rise to an intense longing for intellectual opportunity, for the means of acquiring knowledge, for a complete and educational system. Without an apprecia- tion of these springs of action in our national life, it would be difficult to under- stand the hold which educational questions have on THE PEOPLE OF WALES, and the feeling that finds expression when colliers and artisans give gladly the small sums they can afford-sums not small to them-for the establishment and develop- ment of the Welsh Colleges, and for the maintenance of students of their class." THE IDEA OF A UNIVERSITY. Tho idea of establishing a University for Wales is a very old one, but foe the purposes pf this sketch it will suffice to brace ib back to 1853, when Mr B. T. Williams, then a barrister, and afterwards a County Court Judge for the South Wales Circuit, published an essay in which the claims of Wales to such a recognition were ably and admirably seb forth. A year afterwards—in 1854-there was a private meaing held in London to consider the matter, when there were present Mr (afterwards Sir) Hugh Owen, Rev. Henry Roes, Mr (afterwards Sir) George Osborne Morgan, Rev. Richard Humphreys, Dr. David Charles, Dr. Lewis Edwards (Bala), Mr Richard Davies (now Lord-Lieutenant of Anglesey), and Mr Enoch Gibbon Salisbury. With the exception of Sir George Osborne Morgan and Mr Richard Davies all these pioneers have passed away, but their work has remained, and the Welsh University which came into being 'in 1894 was the outcome of their INFORMAL DELIBERATION 40 TEAKS KARUEB. Mr Hugh Owen and Mr Osborno Morgan were appoiuted to consider ways and maans of estab- lishing a system of higher education for Wales, and they worked hard for a year or two ab a scheme, but the country was soon after that plunged into a war with Russia, and the matter had to stand over. Meanwhile, the work of establishing British schools in Walos under tho auspices of the British and Foreign School Society -a work commenced in 1850 by the late Sir Hugh Owen, secretary to the Local Government Board. an ardent educationist whose services to Wales no man can measure-proeeeded with such rapidity that there arose a widespread DKMAND FOR TEACHERS which the Borough-road College was wholly inade- quate to snpply, and Sir Hugh Owen and b is friends, recognising this to be the supreme need of the moment, set aside for the time the higber education question, and faced the problem of tho moment. It was resolved to establish a training college for teachers in Wales; ia stirring appeal for funds was issued the late Rev. John Phillips, of Bangor, toured the country and with his overpowering eloquence roused the DR. ISAMBARD OWEN,1 Senior Deputy-Chancellor.) (Photo by Fall, Baker-street, W.) people to such a pitch of enthusiasm that sufficient funds were soon forthcoming and in 1862 was witnessed the establishment in Bangor of the Normal College for the training of male teachers for Elementary schools in Wales.-an institution which has done great service, and which yet flourishes with unimpaired vigour and efficiency. NORMAL COLLEGE OPENED. The establishment of the Bangor Normal College served to revive once more the ambitious proposal for a Welsh University, and a series of letters to the Press, written by Dr. Nicholas, discussing the question of higher education in Wales generally, helped to bring the subjeot to prominence. There was an aooidental meeting between Dr. Nicholas and Sir Hugh Owen at the National Eisteddfod in 186% and a month after- wardi-on the 2fcth of Oo.he, amcS Sir UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF WALES, ABERYSTWYTH. (Photo by H. H. Davies, Aberystwyth.) George Osborne Morgan and Mr Morgan Lloyd I (M.P. for the Anglesey Boroughs) meb at Mitre Court, Temple, London, where they drew up a manifesto on the subject, and convened a confer- ence. which was held on December 1st in that year, at the Freemasons' Tavern, London, under the presidency of Mr Wm. Williams. M.P. for Lambeth, who promised a subscription of £1,000. II Resolutions were here passed and the ESTABLISHMENT OF A UNlyKRSITT I determined upon. An Executive Committee was appointed. having Dr. Nicholas as secretary, > and Mr Osborne Morgan and Sir Hugh Owen as honorary secretaries. Mr Williams, M.P., j treasurer, with Mr Morgan Lloyd as sab- I treasurer. In 1864, through the endeavours of j Dr. Perowne, then Vice.Principal of Lampeter (now Bishop of Worcester), it was agreed to establish au Unseetarian University College, j which was then to combine with St. David's College, Lampeter, to form a Welsh University. Though the prospects were bright for a time j differences bpgau to arise, until ultimately, June f 16th, 1864, the committee of the University College stated their opinion that further consideration of that, which appears to us an admirable arrangement, should be deferred." THE SCHOOLS INQUIRY COMMIS- SION. Mr J. Bryce and Mr Bompas were in 1865 sent to Wales to inquire into the provision for second- ary education, and they reported on the total inadequacy of the existing schools, showing how remarkably poor in endowments Wales was com. pared with England. And yet" The Welsh are distinguished," writes one of the Commissioners, by a great love of knowledge. Among the common miners there are many well acquainted with the highest parts of mathematics, and it is quite usual for servants and labourers to compose essays and poems for the various eistedd- fods." This was in 1866, many years before the days of compulsory element- J ary education. From 1864 to 1872 IMMENSE STRIDES WERR HADE I with the University movement. Its advocates j were energetic and zealous, and lost no oppor- tunity of rousing public feeling on eisteddfod i platform or in the Press; and it was decided to Is establish a College at once as a preliminary step i to the foundation of a University. The energy of 1 the promoters became concentrated on the effort f to raise funds for the establishment of that one College, and the PEOPLE RESPONDED NOBLY to the frequent appeals addressed to them. The great landowners of Wales did not view the movement with much favour, and, with a few honourable exceptions, their names do nab figure t in the subscription lists that were laboriously built up in these day2. Happily,, Abi- is no longer, the case, for to-day the "istoeracy of Wales are' among the most inunifioent, isupportm of rxlr national colleges. The most generous contributors; up to 1873 were Messrs Parnall, of London the- late Mr David Davies, Llandinam Mr Lewis ■; Davies, Ferndale (both colliery proprietors); Mr Samuel Morley, and some of the large commercial firms of Manchester; and the total amount- collected was £ 12,034. SITE OF THE FIRST COLLEGE. Negotiations wore for some time carried on f with the London and No,-bb.We-stern, Railway Company about a site for the College near the BntanniaTubular Bridge,uow included in Treborth Park, the seat of Mr Richard Davies, the Lord. lieutenant of and once M.P. for Anglesey, but happily just at this time a magnificent building, which had just been erected for hotel purposes at a cost of about £ 80,000, at the 'Marine-terrace, Aberystwyth, came into the market. This fine Gothic pile was raised by one of the contractors of the Cambrian Railway, whose intention was to issue tickets which were to cover tiavelling and also board and residence at the Castle Hotel," Aberystwyth, or at other hotels on the Welsh coast. The scheme, however, was never carried out, for the contractor failed before he had quite completed the building, and ib was bought for 210,000 by those gentlemen who bad striven so nobly to improve the state of educa- tion. OPENED AT ABERYSTWYTH. In this building tho College was opened in October. 1872, with 20 students, as a national institution on a purely unsectarian basis, and supported by the whole Welsh nation. The matter was warmly taken up by all classes. The slate quarrymen of Ffestiniog and the commercia; travellers of North Wales founded scholarships! and the College was opened for instruction under the charge of Principal Thomas Charles Edwards and two professors. For ten years it flourished on the voluntary system, receiving no grant or aid. A University Sunday" was fixed upon, when contributions were taken for the College in the chapels. During this period the Welsh people and their frionds contributed towards its main- tenance in all about 260,000. and the results achieved even in those days, Cwhen the ollege was denied the financial supporb readily extended by the Government to other portions of the empire, more than justified its establishment. 3ALL FOR INTERMEDIATE SCHOOLS. The opening of Aberystwyth College helped ta reveal further the lamentably backward sbate of Wales in the matter of secondary education, and ahe taunt was often made that the promoters had aegun at the top instead of at the bottom—that before opening a College they should have provided intermediate schools to act as feeders tor such an institution. Subsequent events, jowever, have demonstrated the falsity of this contention. THE GREAT NEED OF WALES. The committee appointed by the Government n 1881 to inquire into the condition of inter. nediate and higher education in Wales consisted )f the late Lord Aberdare, Lord Emlyn, M.P., Prebendary Robinson, the late Mr H. Richard, VLP., Professor Rhys, and Mr (now Sir) Lewis Morris. They reported that there were only 27 mdowed grammar schools for boys in Wales and Monmouthshire. and only hree for girls; and further showed that f education higher than elementary for ten boys n every 1,000, then schools should exist to mmodate 15,700 boys, while the number for which accommodation was actually providedrwas inder 3,000, and the attendance amounted to less ihan 1,600. The committee tai-i great stress on the fact that Wales had a distinct nationality, ind they urged that this was a reason for securing within the limits of Wales itself a system of ntermediate and higher education in harmony vith the distinctive peculiarities of the country, 'he Welsh language having a powerful hold upon the people, and there being every appearance that t would long continue to be cherished. The lommittee recommended the establishment and indowment of a University College for South Wales and another for North Wales. GRANTS FROM GOVERNMENT. One immediate result of Lord Aberdare's Commission was that in 1882 Aberystwyth Jolleg8 was given an annual Government grant of 94,000. Another result was that in 1883 the Jniversity College of South Wales was opened at Cardiff, and in 1884 the University College of orllh Wales at Bangor. Large sums were again aised by the people, and the Government voted m annual grant of £ 4,000 to each. Some of those rhow inftreets WHO centred in Cardiff and Bangornow began to fall away from Aberystwyth in spite of the fact that its numbers and successes steadily increased after 1881. But many of its old alumni came to the rescue, and urged the Council to ask for a continued grant from the Government. This demand was conceded in 1884 by a temporary grant of £ 2,500, and in 1886 Aberystwyth was put on an equal foobine with the other Colleges, and the granb raised to £ 4,000. THE FIRE AT ABERYSTWYTH. The year 1885 is also noted by the disastrous fire which then broke out and threatened the very existence of Aberystwyth College. Instead, however, of being its death-blow, it serves as the starting point of a rapid and steady advance unparalleled in the history of education. The College was carried on in the spacious Queen's Hotel until 1888. when the old building was ready to be receoupied, having been restored at a cost of over 226,000. In the year 1893 the Chancellor of the Exchequer made a special grant of £ 10,000 for the purpose of liquidating the existing debt, and completing and extending the building—both H.R.H. THE PRINCE OF WALES, Chancellor of the University of Wales. (Speoially photographed for this journal by W. and D. Downey, photographers to the Queen. London.) I due to the fire. This was granted on condition that a sum of £ 5,000 be also collected by private subscriptions. Publio appeals for subscriptions, as well as appeals to the chapels and churches of Wales, were made by the College authorities, and the education-loving Celts and their many friends onee again speedily met the demand. THREE COLLEGES OPEN: THE RESULT. With the establishment of three University Colleges-an excess of one of the number recom- mended by Lord Aberdareld Commission—the need of am intermediate educational system became mo than ever evident. After the issue of the Departmental Committee's report no one questioned the necessity of legislation, A Welsh Intermediate Education Bill immediately came within the region of practical politics. Neverthe- less, Wales was a long time getting it. The first Bill was promised in 1884 it was introduced by Mr Mundella in 1885, and it died in ibs infancy with the Government that had fathered it. Two Bills were introduced in 1887, one by Mr Mundella, after discussion with tbe Welsh Liberal ¡ Mundella, after discussion with the Welsh Liberal members, and one by Mr Kenyon and in 1889 a Bill by Mr Stuart Rendel (now Lord Rendel) was accepted, with certain modifications by the Government, and, supported by both political parties, became law before the end of the Session. The provisions of that measure are sufficiently well known, and all we need point out in this connection is that under its provisions every oounty in Wales is now studded with INTERMEDIATE SCHOOLS which for the most part have, as headmasters, men trained In the University Colleges of Wales, and who are full of the educational ardour which has so characterised their countrymen during the past lJarter of a century. With the passing of the Intermediate Ednoa. tion Act, following the establishment of the University Colleges, and preceding the formation of a Central Board for the control of Welsh education, a Welsh University became not only within reach, but absolutely indispensable. Principal Viriamu Jones, in his interesting account of the movement which resulted in a practical scheme to which the Crown has given effect, takts as his sbarting point the three days' discussion on Welsh education which took place at the Cymmrodorion section of the National Eisteddfod in London, in 1887. THE UNIVERSITY A NECESSITY. That discussion demonstrated how every part of the Welsh system stood in need of an organisation for a completing character, binding together what was then more or lees separate and individual education work, and that a properly constituted University of Wales would precisely provide this organisation, so necessary to give unity of purpose and consolidation of resulb to Welsh educational effort. Principal Jones lays stress on the fact that the need for the University of Wales definitely emerged from the proposal since adopted that teachers in elementary schools should be trained at the University Colleges-a sbep which in its adoption involved the combina. tion of the three University Colleges, and that combination naturally implied the formation of the Welsh University as being essential to the vitality of the Colleges. The result of the three days' discussion at the Cymmrodorion meeting was that, on the motion of Professor Rhys, seconded by Sir Lewis Morris, a resolution was adopted expressing the opinion that DEFINITE ACTION should at once be taken to impress upon her Majesty's Government the desire of the Welsh people for the establishment of a Welsh University. In January, 1888. a conference, called by the Cymmrodorion, was held in Shrewsbury, and here the movement made appreciable progress. This conference was formed of representatives from the University Colleges, the intermediate schools, and elementary schools and here not only was the demand for a University endorsed and defined, but arrange- ments were also made for another conference, between those present and the Welsh Peers and the Welsh members of Parliament. This took place on the 16ch of March, 1888. The views of the Shrewsbury Conference were laid before the Peers and the M.P.'s; assurance was given that they would receive careful consideration and Lord Aberdare, speaking frnm the chair, expressed complete approval of the proposals submitted. APPLICATION FOR CHARTER. In the early part of July, 1888, another oon- ference, representing the three University Colleges, met in London and passed resolutions declaring the time to have arrived when the three University Colleges should conjointly apply to the Government for a charter for the establish- ment of the University of Wales, and that the charter should be on the same general lines as that already granted to the Victoria University, Manchester, with such modifications as might be required by the peculiar conditions and circum- stances of Wales. At this time, however, a difference of opinion arose. It was held by some thab the degree examinations of ihe Welsh Univer- sity should be open to all comers, like those of the University of London by others that the degrees of the University ought to imply not only success in examination, but adequate training for a definite quahfying period in a constituent, College of the Universisy. as is the case in all the Universities of England and Scotland, the University of London excepted. This division of opinion rendered further progress undesirable at the time, and there followed PAVILION, AND CLIFF RAILWAY, Deeigaedby UrCroydon Morim, A PERIOD OF INACTION, which continued until November 8th. 1891, when as a result of a resolution passed by Governors of the North Wales College, representatives of the three Colleges, and of the Joint Intermediate Education Committees of the Welsh counties met at Shrewsbury. It was then found that opinion in favour of a teaching University had greatly ripened; and the first resolution of the con- ference, which was passed with unanimity, was in favour of a teaching University i.e., That no candidate shall be admitted to a, degree unless he shall have pursued a course of study at one of the Colleges of the University." The movement now assumed definite form and shape, and so far had public opinion advanced in favour of the proposal that the conference felt itself justified in going the length of suggelJting the appoint- ment of a committee to prepare a DRAFT CHARTER for the University. The Draft Charter Com- mittee, consisting of four representatives from each of the bodies composing the conference, met many times, and by the end of 1892 completed its task or preparing a draft charter, on the lines laid down in the Shrewsbury resolutious. The dratt was presented to the conference on January 6th, 1893, and after full discussion and with elight alteration it was adopted by that body. Meantime, in the autumn of 1892, the Govern- ment appointed Mr O. M. Edwards, of Lincoln College, Oxford, to report on the condition of the Colleges in relation to the proposal for University organisation, and although the report was not published, it is generally recognised that Wales has every reason to be grateful to Mr O. M. Edwards for the services he then rendered to the movement. The Government was thus prepared for THE PETITION, Paying that her Majesty should found the University of Wales by a Royal charter in conformity with the draft accompanying it. This petition was presented soon after Easter, 1893, and after the usual formalities, the charter received the Royal signature on the 23rd day of November, 1893. No one has worked harder or with greater zeal and enthusiasm for the end now attained than Principal Viriamu Jones; but, with becoming modesty, be, in his admirable sketch of the work done, makes no reference to bis own share in the great work. The services of Lord Aberdare, as commander-in-chief of the Welsh educational army, will long be remembered, and his election to be first Chancellor of tho University was an honour thoroughly earned. Then mention should be made of the whole-hearted devotion and princely munificence of Mr Wm. Rath bone, the late member for North Carnarvonshire; and of the immense assistance rendered by Dr. Isambard Owen, who is now senior Vice-Chanc.-IIor. Other names which occupy prominent places in the records of the University movement aie those of Messrs Cadwaladr Davies and Ivor James, the secretaries of the conference, of whom the former is one of the lion, counsel, and the latter the registrar of the University Mr Brynmor Jones, Q.C., M.P., who turned the draft charter into a model legal document, and who is now hon. counsel to the University and Mr Maynard Owen, solicitor, a brother of the Deputy Chan. cellor.
FROM MACHYNLLETH TO ABERYSTWYTH. The Royal party, oomposed as on the previous day of the Prince and Princess, the two young Princesses, and the suite, with Lord Londonderry and others, left Plas Machyniletli promptly at 11.20 a.m. in three open broughams, the Royal cerristge being drawn by four horses ridden by postillions. Along the route to the railway station the inhabitants of the loyal little borough ,i, were assembled, with the visitors, in thousands, and with fluttering handlceichiefs, hats and caps waved in the air, and exultant cries of hearty enthusiasm, bade the Prince God speed on a mission which the people so much approved. The Royal train, with the engine gaily decorated, left Machynlleth at 11.35, and ran on without a stop to Aberystwyth, which waa reached shortly after 12 noon, many of the wayside stations being decorated, Bow-street especially so, for Sir Pyers Mostyn, the owner of the adjoining Gogerddan estates, had at his own expense transformed the station into a veritable bower. ARRIVAL AT ABERYSTWYTH. SCENE AT THE RAILWAY STATION. Fnlly half an hour before the Royat train was due to arrive at Aberystwyth, the railway station was besieged by a loyal throng of unlookera, all anxious to catch the first glimpse of the Royal party but vigilant police officials were on guard, and only ticket holders were admibted. These, to the number of some 300, took up their stand at the rear of the platform at which the Royal train was to arrive, and along which a guard oi honour of the Pembrokeshire Volunteers had been drawn up under the command of Captain Daviee, a prominent figure among them being Captain and Adjutant Goldschmidt, the son of Jenny Lind, the Patti of half a century age. The decorations of the station were tasteful to a high degree. The roof had recently been newly painted in pale green and white and the sun's rays fell through the glass roof upon pillars and walls that were draped with ample evergreens, and that gave to the whole n, tint of national colonr. For half an hour prior to the arrival of the Royal train prominent University and local municipal officials promenaded to and fro. Among them were a few of the local gentry. The tints of the ladies' dresses lent a warm tone to the scene, and illuminated it to excellent effeob. Prominent figures were the Mayor of Aberystwyth (Councillor Thomas Griffiths), the Mayoress (Mrs Griffiths), the chairman of the Cardiganshire Quarter Sessions (Mr Wilis Bund), Dr. Isambard Owen (Senior Deputy-Chancellor), Mr Humphreys-Owen, M.P. (Junior Deputy. Chancellor), High Sheriff of Cardiganshire, Mr Wm. Jones, Lord Rendel (President of the I Aberystwyth College), and Lady Rendel, Principal Roberts, Mr Oweu, Mr Edwards, M.A.. Mr Vaughau Davies, M.P., Mrs Vaughan Davies, Alderman Grove (treasurer of the University), Mr Bryninor Jones, Q.C., M.P. (Senior Standing Counsel of the University), Mr Cadwalladr Davies (the Junior Standing Counsel), Mr Maynard Owen (Solicitor of the University), Mr Ivor James (Registrar), Rev. J. D. Watters, of the Theological Board Principal Viriamu Jones (Vice-Chancellor of the Uuiv^rssty), the Rev. Mortimer Green (Registrar, Aborystwyth College), Earl and Countess of Lisburne, Alder- man C. M. Williams (chairman of the Cardigan County Council), Col. Davies-Evans (High Sheriff of Cardiganshire) and Mrs Davies-Evans, and Mr H. C. Fryer, the clerk of the Cardigan- shire County Council. Of the Cambrian Rail- way directors present may be mentioned Mr J. W. Maclure, M.P., Mr A C. Humphreys-Owen, M.P., and Mr J. F. Buckley; whice Mr C. S, Dannies, the gaueral superintendent of the line, travelled down in the special that conveyed the Royal party. Of the more prominent ladies present on the platform, the Countess of Lisburne looked charming in striped silk and gauze trimmed with gold and chiffon, and wore a large hat containing wbtte roses and hydrangeas. Mrs Vaugban Davies was near at hand, and her mauve chine silk dress was very generally admired, while another costume that attracted a good deal of attention waa that bf Mrs Davies Xvau4 who looked very pntty in a Liberty drew •of eau de Nil satin, and with a snail toque tastefully trimmed with blue Lady Rendel, who was close by, wore black lace over white satin. Shortly before 12 o'clock a buzz of excitement was produced when a telegram came to hand stating that the Royal train had left Machynlleth, but was seven minutes late. Punctually at 12 o'clock his Worship the Mayor of Aberystwyth arrived, accompanied by the Mayoress (Mrs Griffiths), who was most appropriately at:ired in the Welsh national costume. She carried two very beautiful bouquets of lovely orchids and green asparagus ferns, the feathery fronds of which covered the orchids as with a veil. Accompanying the Mayor and Mayorffs marched the Town Clerk, he also struggling with a large bouquet of yellow and red rases, lvhich were shortly to be presented to the distinguished visitors whose advent was so anxiously awaited. The hands of the clock now stood at 12.10, the hour announced for the arrival of the Royal party, and at that moment the telephone bell in the station rang violently, sending another thrill of excitement through the waiting CIOwd. The Royal tram was now bat three minutes from the station, and the long line of Volunteers were called to "attention," while everybody put on his or her most bewitching smile, and ladiae daintily touched the edges of their veils and smoothed the creases from their gloves. The Mayor of Aber- ystwyth adjusted his cloak, and Mr Brynmor Jones put just one more touch to bis wig and gown, while the Welsh goat, which stood in front of the Pembrokeshire Volunteers and bore his regimental colours bravely, pulled kard at hie string, and seemed to realise that some Uncommon event was about to happen. It was An anxious moment when the station-master pTS the word to his officials, Here it comes," and slowly and with becoming dignity the Royal train steamed into the station, The engine of the tr»m was one mass of gaudy decorations, on the f*°nt of the boiler being tbe Prince of Wales's feathers. The Reception Committee had arranged them- selves into a half circle on the platform, and exactly in front of this the Royal saloon, which was the next carriage but one to the mizine, was stopped. At this moment the boom of guns was heard. It was the announcement of the arrival of the Royal party by cruiser-3 in the Bay to an expectant town. Sir Franeis Knollys Was out of his carriage in the twinkling of an eye and going towards the door of the Royal saloon reached it almost at the satne moment Lord Rendel. The Prince of Wales Was the first to alight, and his countenance bore a. pleasant smile as be stepped on the platform, and was greeted by Lord Rendel, who introduced the Mayor of Aberystwyth to his Royal Highness while the Princess of Wales and their Royal Highnesses the Princesses Victoria and Maud were being assisted out of the saloon. Then came the inevitable on such occasions-the intro- ductions of local magnates to their Royal visitors. The Princess's charming grace and amiability on such occasions have ever been one of the secrets of her immense popularity aud as the years roll by she still performs these little functions with the same charm, while time has dealt so kindly with her that she still looks positively youthful. Yesterday we found it hard to believe that she was really the mother of the Princesses Victoria and Maud. She was dressed in a tight fitting dress of black grenadine, trimmed with heliotrope silk, with a ruffle at the neck and a toque to match. The princesses Victoria aud Maud were attired in lovely buff brocade, trimmed with pale blue and chiffou, and with toqnes en suite. Besides the Royal party those who travelled by the special train included Sir Francis Knollys (comptroller), Lady Emily KingscoW (the lady- in-waitmg), and Major-General Stanley Clarke (equerry-in-watting). Thus the Royal suite. Then came the Marquis of Londonderry, Lord Henry Vane Tempest, Lord Herbert Tempest, Lord Hersehell, the Earl of Powis, Sir Watkin and Lady Wiliiams Wynn, Mr Christopher Sykes, and Capt. N. W. Apperley. J'ust before the Royal party proceeded to the carriages which were in waiting the Mayoress gracefully presented bouquets to the Princess of PRINCESSES VICTORIA and MAUDE. I Wales and her daughters, and then their Royal Highnesses were conducted to the carriage. Meanwhile strains of music were wafted into the station by the cooling breeze from the road outside. It was the singing of the Welsh air, Codiad ya hedydd," by the Central Wales Choir, who were I ranged on a platform just outside the station, and were singing under the baton of Mr David Jenkins, who in his bachelor's robes and mortar-board was taking the choir through a selection of old Welsh airs. The Princess was hardly seated in the carriage before she caught sight of the choir, and quickly draw the Prince's attention to it. A slight halt was here necessitated owing to the carriage in front of the procession being blocked; but after a few minutes' delay THE PROCESSION went forward in the following order The Royal escort, consisting of a company of the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry Cavalry, under the command of Captain R Wiliianw-Wynn. Carnages (1 to 4) The Town Council of Aberystwyth. 5—The Chairman of the Cardiganshire Covinty Council (A!derman C. M. Williams); the Clerk of tbe Cardiganshire County Council (Mr FL C. Fryer). 6 -Tiie Earl of Lisburne, Mr Vaughan Davies, M.P., Mrs Vaughan Davies, Mr Willis Bund (chairman of Cardiganshire Quarter Sessions). 7-Th Lord-Lieutenant of Cardiganshire (Col. Dav ie- Evans) and Mrs Davies Evans, the High Sheriff of Cardiganshire (Mr Wm. Jones) the Countess of Lisburne. 8—The President of the University College of North WalM (L.,td Rsndel) and Lady Rendel, the Principal of the College (Professor Roberts, M. A.), the Registrar of the College (the Rov. T. Mortimer Green). 9—The Regisrrar of the Univer*ifcy (Mr Ivor James), the beoretary of the University Senate (Professor Anga-, M.A.), the Clerk of the Guild of Graduates (Mr D. E. J ones, B.Sc.), the Hou. Secretary of the Theological Board (the Rev. J. Douglas Watters, M.A.). 10-Tlie Tromurer of the University (Alderman Grove), the Standing Counsel of the University (Messrs D. Brynmor Jones, Q.C.. M.P.. and Cadwaladr Davies), the University Solicitor (Mr C. Maynard Owen, LL.M.). 11—The Senior Deputy Chancellor of the University (Dr. Isambard O ven), the Vice- Ohancellor of the University (Priucipal Viriamu Jones, F.R.S.), the Junior Deputy Chancellor (Mr A. C. Humphreys-Osven, M.P.), the Warden of the Gaild of Graduates (Mr O. M. Edwards, M.A.) 12-The Mayor of Aberystwyth (Councillor LORT" REIIDEL Thomas Griffiths) and the Mayoress (Mrs Griffiths), the Town Clerk (Mr Arthur J. Hughes), with escort. 13-Th Royal carriage, with woort6 14-Tiie Suite, 15 to 18—Lord Londonderry and guesta. 19—The Chairman of the Cumbrian Railways (Mr J. F. Buckley), Mr J. W. Maclure, M.P., and the general manager (Mr C. 8- Denniss),
SCENE IN THE STREETS. The procession thus started, Capt. R. William* Wynn riding to the right of the Royal Carriage- Immediately outside the station the crush was tremendous, and no sooner had the oarriage con- taining the Royal party left the station than a deafening cheer went up. Mr David Jenkins' choir were so carried away that they oeased their singing and joined in the mighty about. The prooession went on along Terrace-road beneath graceful feetooas of flowers thrown aorose the road from Venetian masts. The outburst s* welcome by the inhabitants was unceasing, and the Prince repeatedly raised his bat in acknowledgment, the Princess smiling continually. The sun beat down hotly, but only the Princess Victoria opened her parasol, whioh she held also to protect her sister. Round Portland-street went the procession to the Town Hall. Jues outside this, close to the Pareezer Hall, war ranged the Rhnidiol Juvenile Choir, conducted by Mr Brenig Edwards. The children all wore the Welsh costume, and sang to the steams of a harp and piano, while in front of the platform sat an old-world dame at a spinning wheel. It was a typical Welsh picture, and they, too, sang the airs of Gwalia, for as the Royal carriage approached there arose in full peal tbe sweet voices ringing out Brinley RiobardsV fine air and just as they reached the lines And let the vales re-echo God bless the Prince of Wales" the Royal carriage stopped, and tin I Prince and Princess bowed. The Prineet children bowed and smiled again and again. Then the carriage moved on, and the Royat I party alighted at the Town Hall to prepare for the chief event of the day.
THE INSTALLATION CERE- MONY. The day, the hour, marking the zenith of the most briHiant and distinguished and peculiar function ever associated with cause of Welsh learning is one never to be forgotten by all who had the privilege of a seat in the grand marque* erected in front of the Town Hall, to witness the installation of bis Royal Highness the Prince of Wales as Chancellor of the Univer- sity of Wales. The marquee, calculated to seat 2,200 persona, had been planned to lend elfeot and afford the utmost convenience. It is almost oblong in design, with a considerable level space. In the oentre was the dais for his Royal Highnesc the Prince of Wales and distinguished company. On the south side, facing the entrance from the Town Hall, and gently stretching away on an incline to the east and west and north, was a beautiful canopy. With the Welsh national colours profusely displayed-green and white, that peculiar green of the leek which shades the white so charmingly, and wbtch, according to Professor Herkomer, is the true Welsh national colour-the effect was simply impressively effective. The Press tables, which accommodated nearly one hundred Pressman from all parts of the United Kingdom, were immediately behind the Chancellor's seat, and no better coup Sottl could be obtained than from this pome of 'vantage. Right away on the north side were four beautiful green trees growing in the square, which had been bodily included within the marquee. The entrance from the Town Hall to the marquee was between these trees. The authorities had wisely abstained from attempting anything in the way of elaborate ephemeral decorations, preferring to rely for effect on the contrast of the gorgeous beauty of the ladies' dresses and the simplicity of the national colours. Never was judgment more completely justified. The commencement of the grand ceremonial was timed for half-past 12, but by 10 o'clock ladies and gentlemen had commenced to take up their position in the :marquee, not- withstanding the fact that all seats had beea allotted beforehand. All arrangements fer seating were quite admirable there was no rtwhing, no crowding, every person being conducted to his or her place as if by clockwork. By half-past U the number of seats vacant was limited. From this time on every arrival was watched with interest by the vast congregation. Within the space of about 10 minutes the mayors and town clerks of some 16 boroughs dropped into seats. The varied hues of their splendid robes of ofioe lent just the tinge of colour required in that part of the marquee. Shortly after these oivic rulen, there arrived the officers of H.M. Warships stationed in the bay, viz., Captain Charles R. Arbuthnot, Lieutenant A. R. C. Warren, Staff- DOWAGER MARCHIONESS OF LONDONDERRY. (Photo by Walery.) Surgeon D. T. Hoskyn, Staff-Engineer J. Bennington, Assistant-Paymaster W. T. Hay- ward, Assistant-Engineer J. T. Butland, and Midshipman E. F. Frewen, of the Hermiooe ani Commander Paul W. Bush, Lieutenant T. W. Do Sheppard and Sub-Lieutenant W. Biokford, at the Bel Ion*. Their fine carriage and splendid uniforms were a source of unbounded at. tion. Presently the College students gave vent to their pent-up feelings by a lusty rendering of their College song. The efforts of the stewardl to stop them were vain. No sooner had thf sound died away than the ear caught the refraic of the National Welsh Anthem being sung by school children outside. Quickly following came the strains of a brass band as it paced along the street playing the National Anthem and tbt students within the marquee caught up the refrait as if by magic. At noon sharp the Treorky Royal Male Voice Choir, under the conductorsbip ot Mr William Thomas, struck up with the charminf Welsh melody L'wyn Orn (Ash G""ove). A brief interval of silence followed, broken only bt an occasional outbreak of applause greeting a celebrity. Time was drawing on, and suppressed exoitement became intense. At quarter past 12 vnt was found in the tremendous outburst of applause as Mrs Gladstone was seen to enter the marquee leaning on the arm of bel. daughter, Miss BMen Gladstone. The venerablf and distinguished lady looked extremely well, and walked to her seat with firm elastic step, and for a time she became the cynosure of all eyes. Shortly before half-past 12 the school children stationed outside the marque on the line of march were heard to break forth with God Bless the Prince of Wales." This wae the signal that the Prince was about to ente* the precincts of the Town Hall. By this feiaati there was not a vacant seat in the vast pavilion, save those specially reserved for the Royal party and leaders of the procession and all eyes wflN rivetted on the entrance from the Town Hall.
ROYAL PARTY ENTER THE J MARQUEE. In a few seconds Lord Rendel was Mpied at the entrance, and this was taken as the oue that tbe Royal party were about to enter. The Treorky Choir then struck up" God Bless the Prweeof Wales," but it was soon regretfully diHonWl that the effort was a little in advance, for at 60 t MR W. RATHBONE. last swing of the conductor's baton the Prinee wa still within the Town Hall. Then came lb* Marchioness of Londonderry's party, followed bl the Mayor and Corporation of Aberystwyth, These had barely become seated when two oSetato were noted at the entrance and with lightninf rapidity they unveiled a roll of crimson oarpef. from thenoe to the Royal seat. After an intereai of a few seconds came the Royal party, th< Princess of Wales wearing the robes of a Doctoi of Music. The order of entry was I E.R.H. the Chancellor, H.R.H. the Prinat of Wales and the Chancellor's tnin beam (Master William Gladstone). Their R.BL the Princesses Victoria and BW of Waies. I The Suite. Recipients of Honorary Degrees. Mr Gladstone, Lord Hersoheil, as Cbaacdlw 0