Hide Articles List

7 articles on this Page

LAMENTABLE DEATH. OF CAPTAIN…

News
Cite
Share

LAMENTABLE DEATH. OF CAPTAIN PRYSE PRYSE. Captain Pryse Pryse, of Lodge Park, died on Tuesday from the effects of a fox bite. All who knew Captain Pryse' were charmed by his kind- ness of manner and his kindly intercourse and the news of his death was received with the deepest regret by the people of Aberystwyth. Out hunting with the pack of fox hounds of which he was the master, Captain Pryse tried to draw a fox and got bitten on Friday waek. The wound was almost invisible and no serious consequences were felt until Thurday of last week. On Thurday morning he left for Penywern where he intended staying for the meet of the Gogerddan Hounds on Friday morning. On his way to Penywern, he called to see Dr James, Y Fagwr, who, having examined Mr Pryse's hand, insisted upon his at once returning home to Lodge Park, which he did, and on the following morning symptoms of blood poisoning were apparent. From that day there were no signs of abatement. On the contrary, the symptoms gradually increased and ultimately de- veloped into septicaama, or blood poisoning of the worst character, which invariably proves fatal. Dr Harries, of Aberystwyth, was called in on Sunday and a professional nurse was engaged. Nothing, however, could be done to save life and death occurred on Tuesday morning to the regret of everyone in the district. One who knew the de- ceased intimately said he was a man who took a deep pleasure in living in the country and among the country people. They on their parts literally loved him. He knew 'everybody in the wide district covered by the estate. He was a most generous-hearted man and, at the same time, a man of great strength of will and good head. Captain Pryse was born in Decem- ber, 1859, and was therefore thirty-nine years of age at the time of his death. He took great inter- est in sport and agriculture, and became one of the best judges of horses in the county. He was lieutenant in the Durham Light Infantry and Captain in the Third Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment. Some years ago he became master of the Gogerddan foxhounds, and led the way to many an inspiring run across the hilly country in which he lived. He was a justioe of the peace for the County sitting for the Talybont division. He was the president and main supporter of the Talybont Agricultural Society, and a contributor to the Library and Reading Room of that village, and a supporter of all local societies in his district. He succeeded the late Colonel George Williams, of Ffyn- on Caradog in the management of the Gogerddan estate; and his knowledge of agriculture, his interest in the welfare of the tenants, and his intimate know- ledge of the people and their manners, and customs, and habits of life made their position of mutual ad- vantage. In 1881, he married Louisa, daughter of Col. Howell of Penrhoel, Carmarthenshire, who sur- vives him andfoi whom universal sympathy is felt. There beiug no issue of the marrage, the heir to the Gogerddan estate is now Captain Edward Parry- Pryse of the 41st Welsh P- crmert, who, in 1891, married Nina Catherine Angharad Webley-Parry, of Noyadd Trefawr. The Gogerddan family is, as is well known to all Welshmen, one of the most illustrious in the Principality. It is lineally des- cended from Gwaethvoed Vawr, lord of Cardigan, and some members thereof represented either the county or the borough of Cardigan ever since the time of Queen Elizabeth up to the year 1855, being connected by marriage with many of the leading families of the county. In 1579, John Pryse, Esq., of Gogerddan, occupied the shrievalty and was also one of the Council of the Marches. In 1654 bis eldest son, Sir Richard Price, Knight, filled the same post, and represented the county of Cardigan in the 7th, 8th, and 10th parliaments of Elizabeth, and in the third Parliament of James I. Members of the family occupied the same position in 1609, 1625, 1636, and 1639, the latter being Richard Price, Esq., grandson of Sir Richard Price, Knight, who represented the county from 1640 to 1655 and was Created a baronet in 1641; he was re-elected in 1655 for the second time. In 1681 and 1749, the family were again to the front as sheriffs, and in 1799 Mr Pryse Loveden Pryse, Gogerddan, followed suite. He was the son of Edward Loveden Loveden, Buscot, County Berks, by Margaret, daughter of Lewis Pryse, Gogerddan. He succeeded to the Buscot property on tke death of his father in 1784, and to the estate in Wales on the demise of his mother in 1798 when he also assumed the surname and arms of Pryse. He represented the Cardigan Boroughs from 1847 to 1855, and was succeeded by his eldest son Pryse Pryse, the father of the pre- sent baronet, who was the high sheriff in 1861. He re-assumed the name of Pryse by royal licence in 1863 and was created a baronet in 1866. THE FUNERAL. Yesterday afternoon, amid the unaffected sorrow of hundreds of country and townspeople who from far and near assembled at the little churchyard of St John's, Penryncoch, the remains of Mr Pryse Pryse, of Lodge Park, were laid to rest. The day broke dismal and depressing with a shifting rain- fall fitted for the darkest of November days. This, however, did not prevent a very large number from attending, and at the hour announced for holding the funeral the mourners assembled in a large crowd in front of Gogerddan Mansion. The funeral obsequies were of the simplest character in accord- ance with the wishes of the family. The coffin, which had been placed in the room in the front of the mansion, was hidden amid a wealth of blooms sent by relatives and friends. The coffin, which was of polished oak and heavily bound in brass was brought to the doorway by the workmen and was borne away by the principal tenants of the estate. The bearers were Messrs R James, Brynllys; W Jenkins, Henhafod; J B Morgan, Glanrhaid Rev W Morgan, PwUglas; D Hughes, Torglwyd; — Edwards, Nantsiriol; — Williams, Gnllgnmawr J R James, Peitheil, — Thomas, Brysgara Edwards, Nanfcysilio Jones, Peinpompren. Following the coffin came the carriage, containing Sir Pryse Pryse and Mrs Pryse Pryse (widow), Lady Pryse, Captain Edward Pryse, Mr George Pryse, Mr Lewis Loveden Pryse, Mr Richard Pryse, Mr Herbert Pryse, Mr Pugh Pryse, Bwlchbychau, Mrs Holford, Mr and Mrs Loxdale, Captain and Mrs E Powell, Major Pryse Lewis, Tyllyuaeron, Col Howell, Captain Howell. Following the chief mourners came a long list of private carriages containing friends, amongst them being the carriages from Crosswood, 9 11 Glanrh eidol, Abermaide, Lonesgrove, Nantceirod, j Fronfraith, Penwern, etc. The general public fol- lowed and amongst those present we noticed Mr Vaughan Davies, M.P.; Major Bonsall, Peithyll; Major Bonsall, Galltyllan Capt Hughes Bonsall, Lieut Wakefield, Mr Edmund Buckley, Barmouth the Yen Archdeacon Protheroe Rev E Evans, vicar of Llanfihangel; Rev E Jones of Llanbadarn; Rev Nathaniel Thomas, Vicar of Llanbadarn; Rev D Williams, Vicar of Lampeter Belfry Col Fryer, Mr H C Fryer, Aberystwyth; Mr Rd Gillart, Machynlleth Dr A 0 Davies, Machynlleth Messrs C I Ivory, Penrhyncoch Daniel Jones, school- master, Talybont; Rd James, Talybont; John Jones, Glanmerin J E James, auctioneer, Maes Bangor; J Parry, Glanpaith J R James, Peithyll J M Williams," Brynbull; G Fossett Roberts, Aberystwyth W P Gwen, Aberystwyth; Rhoderick Richardes, Penglaise; J B Morgan, Glanrhyd B Ellis Morgan, Aberystwyth R Saycell, Rufus Williams, Lion Hotel; W H Hollier, Aberystwyth; Peter Jones, Aberystwyth; J H Edwards, draper, T Griffiths, J.P.,Aberystwyth; David Howell, J.P., Aberystwyth; Isaac Lloyd, Aberystwyth Captain Francis, Penrhycoch Capt. Williams, rralybont; H W Morgan, Capel Bangor; J Rees, Tynypark James Yeary, head gardener, Plas Gogerddan J Richards, Tynypennal, Church- warden; Captain MitcLel, Goginan; Captain Nicholas Bray, Evan Reese,-Mount Pleasant, Mach- ynlleth; Henry Bonsall, Cwm; Colonel Fielden, Borth; Dr Morgan, Nantcerio. The women servants and huntsman from Lodge Park and Plas Gogerddan walked together alongside the coffin carrying beautiful wreaths. With the exception of a single small cross of flowers and two small blooms the coffin was bare of floral decoration. Over sixty conveyances were counted in the pro- cession, and the highway from Plas Gogerddan to the little churchyard was packed with people. The service at the Church was purely Welsh and was conducted by the Rev G Blackwell, curate in charge. In Church the clergymen present took their seats in the stalls, and the simplicity of the ceremony was further marked by the absence of surplices, the curate officiating alone appearing in surplice. The service for the burial of the dead was taken also in Welsh, and again at the grave side was the same order maintained. The grave was built of brick and had been well con- structed by Mr Hamer, the estate mason. Under the superintendence of Mr Yeary and the under gardeners the grave sides had been beautifully decorated with lovely blooms of Roman hyacinthes and tube roses. It was evident to the most casual observer that the last moments at the grave side were very trying to the relatives and friends of the deceased, and many of the tenants were very much moved by the sadness of the occasion. Shorn of any oratorical display—which is characteristic of Welsh funerals-the final ceremony was brief to a degree and the singing of 0 Fryniau Caersalem," the favourite hymn of the Welsh people, brought to a close a memorable ceremony. So soon as the mourners filed away from the grave side the public crowded round for a farewell look at the coffin con- taining the remains of one who was a friend of all, well beloved, and looked up to as a leader worthy of imitiation. The following wreaths were received —Sir Pryse Pryse and Lady Pryse, Mrs Pryse (widow), Major Pryse, Mr Lewis Pryse, Mr Rd Pryse, Mr G Pryse, Mr Herbert Pryse, Mrs Powell, Nanteos; Mrs R J R Loxdale, Castle Hill; Mr P Rice, Llwynbrain; Mr and Mrs Holford, Castle Hill, Dorsetshire; Mrs and Miss Florence Williams, Ffynon Caradog; Capt and Miss Bonsall, Glan- rheidol; Mr Seymour Davies, Glanrafon; Mr and Mrs J C Waddingham, Hafod Mrs James, Bryn- llys; Mrs B'asil Jones, Gvynfryn; Baby Loxdale, Lady Parker; Mr Richarde, Penglaise; Captain Cosens, Bronpadarn; Col and Mrs Howell, Pen- rheol, Carmarthenshire; Mary, Rosilie, Winifred, and Matty, sisters of Mrs Pryse; Mr and Mrs Buckley, Penyfai; Mr Jack Howell, Penrheol; Mr and Mrs Francis, Wallog; Mrs and Misses Morgan, Talybont; Major and Mrs Bonsall, Peithyll; Mr J G W Bonsall, Dr James, Y Togwyn; and Miss Bonsall, Fronfraith; Miss Jenkyn Jones, Dolau; Mrs and Misses Bonsall, Cwm Mr and Mrs Bonsall, Morben; Mr and Mrs Fred Roberts, Penywern; Lieutenant Wakefield, Mrs and Miss Paddock, Ynyshir; Mr Ernest Howel), Penrheol; Lady Evans, Loveagr )ve; Miss Alice Evans, Master Griffith Evans, and Miss Gladys Evans, Lovesgrove Major and Mrs Pryce Lewes, Tiglyn Egrow; Mr and Mrs Morgan, Nantceirio Mr George Williams, Ffynon Caradog; the household servants at Gogerddan, Lodge Park, and Noyadd Fawr. The funeral arrangements were entrusted to Mr David Howell, draper, Great Darkgate street, Aberystwyth, and they were placed in charge of Mr Jones, the fore- man, and carried out satisfactorily. Mr Howell Evans, Chief tConstable, was present and took charge of the palice arrangements.

. HINTS TO ADVERTISERS.

[No title]

NOTES AND GOSSIP : LOCAL AND…

+ A LIBERAL M.P. ON PUBLIC…

♦ A MERIONETHSHIRE DIVORCE…

Advertising