ALL ABOUT ABERYSTWYTH. A VISITORS' GUIDE, WRITTEN FOR THE "ABERYSTWYTH OBSPEVEB," BY THE REV. R. S. SHORT, Author of Dau-lish, Historical and Topographical, illustrated; The Complete Guide to Clevedon and its Vicinity, illustrated, q-c. The visitor who seeks for a sea-side Health Resort, possessing a fine, pure, bracing air-a good beach Vith a grand rolling sea-excellent drainage, and the Rarest of water, obtained from Plynlimon Mountain, together with extensive marine views and majestic mountain scenery, will find all these conditions realised at ABERYSTWYTH the Brighton of Wales and the Queen of Welsh watering; places." "Beauty and variety seem the twin goddesses of the place; or, if a third be admitted,the presiding Deity of the bracing breeze, bright-eyed Health, completer the trio. The very rivers have distinct characters of their own—the:r impetuous rushing rapidity forms an animated contrast to the champaign stream, which geems to slumber in its heavy course. Whenever a bold feature of originality in the adjacent scenery Strikes the eye of the visitor, the presumed harshness Of its intrusion is immediately softened by the milder charm of fertility and verdure, reposing, as it were, on the bosom of comparative barrenness, and arrayed in all the enchanting wildness of the picturesque. Thus, whether viewed from the towering height or fiowery slope, we are at once greeted with the com- mingled or alternate beauties of hill and dale, wood and river, charmingly variegated with sudden or gradual acclivities and gentle descents ending in the level walk." This description, written by Mr Uewelyn Prichard, Author of Welsh Minstrelsy," in 1824, is strictly applicable now. Strangers are invariably struck with the brirhtt and lively appearance of the town. The streets are wide and cleanly. The Local Authorities, in com- bination with thy inhabitants themselves, do all in their power from time to time to promote improve- ments. The shops are exceedingly good—many of them handsome, and the public buildings superior in Style. The adjacent hills, as seen from the town, render the street scenery effective. The population in 1881 was 7188. Distances-London, 2u8 miles IiverpooL, 118; Birmingham, 123; Manchester, 135; Hereford, 76; Cheltenham, 153; Bath. 170; Bristol, 158; Barmouth, 40; Aberdovey, 11; Borb, 8; Aberayron, 16; Devil's Bridge, 12; Tenby, 8J; Brecon, 67; Carmarthen, 60. Aberystwyth has played a conspicuous part in the history of the Principality, and the antiquarian will meet with much to repay h:s diligent research, v', u the geologist, the the ornithologist. avl the botanist will not lack interesting occupation. THE CLIMATE.—During the colder months of the year the climate is remarkably mild and salubrious. Being sheltered on all sides, except the sea-board, by high ranges of hill. it is effectively protected from the east and other winds so prejudicial to invalids. Physicists assert that the temperature'of the sea water is milder at Aberystwyth than at any other place on the western coast, which may be attributable to the physical contour of Cardigan Bay. It is the testimony of those who have wintered here that it is an agreeable winter residence as regards the climate. The great centre of attraction will always be THE BEACH, which spreads in an indented semi-circle for about a mile from Craiglais Point on the north to the Castle promontory on the south, and on the mar- gin are the Marine and Victoria Terraces. Several Teefs of rocks jut into the sea, and are covered with sea-weed, which. when the sun shines upon it, thro ws off into the air the principles of iodine, bromine, and ozone, contributing to its health-producing influence. Small pebbles mingled with smd compose the bead. Hundreds of children may be seen, during the sum- mer, in happy groups, paddling in the water, or enor- gtrtically constructing mimic to" ns and fortifications, whilst indulgent parents are sitting about, working, or reading, or ruminating, according to fancy. The beach and rocks abound in marine vegetation and life, and interesting collections of algre, coralline, and sea-anemones may be made to instruct nnd amuse home when the winter months arrive and in-d> or amusement is sought. The sea is remarkably fine. The water is very ck T and varies in colour, sometimes appearing and then of many-tinted green. It flows in uninterrup- tedly direct from the Atlantic Ocean, to the south of Ireland, in stormy weather dashing upon the beaches and rocks with impetuous fury to a height of Borne 50 or 60 feet, and falling in inexpressibly beav.ti- taljets d'eaux. The waves are emphatically "'rollers" of gTeat length, height, and force, forming a broad fine of silvery foam along- the entire length of tho beach, exciting the admiration and two of visitors. "As I see it surging inward, never newer to the land, It seems to be a monster and ballied in its onward stride. And it seems to utter voices like a multitude of men, Speaking in an awe-struck iiiu-ciiittr,as if waiting for sound That is always coming, but comes not; and sighing deeply, when It breaks and bleaches in great waves upon the pebble ground. •'Miiilnir" (Xant Eos) Sea Fancies." THE TERRACES—The Marine Terrace is built upon an indentation of seashore, extending from the rocky skare" under the Pier, known as the Weog, to the reef called Penbryn Diodde. It forms a natural crescent, made available for a Terrace of good houses. The Victoria Terrace is a continuation from the Marine Baths to Craiglais, or Constitution Hill. The houses are large and lofty, with an ornamental frontage which is of an attractive and imposing character. The Promenade extends the whole length. is of considerable width, and, being raised, is pro- tected from the encroachment of the sea, which at high tide flows close up to it, with an agreeable effect. The views are very fine, and the sea is particularly grand. From the end of the Terrace, near the Pier, the lofty mountains, Cader Idris, Snowdon, and the Eifi may be distinctly seen, in clear weather, lifting their sublime forms in solemn majesty, after having wit- nessed many terrific battles and political and social changes wrought by the revolution of ages in the ancient land of the Cymry. Atmospheric changes often give the Eifl mountains the appearance of a chain of islands, the effect of which is very interest- ing. The historic Ruins of the Castle, the little Camera Obscura building with its flag flying, Pen Dinas Hill with its Wellington Monument, and the indented coast of' Cardiganshire spreading some thirty miles down the Bay to the south, together with the invigorating nature of the air, the transformations of the clouds, the glorious sunsets, the merry groups of children playing upon the beach, the fishing smacks and pleasure boats, with their many- coloured flags flying, the sea gulls swooping around, the waves gently plashing upon the shore, and the various-costuined promenaders moving to and fro to the strains of the Season Band, present a scene of animation always enjoyable to the visitors. It is calculated that there are upon the Terraces about eighty houses, of which sixty-one are professional Lodging Houses, which provide about two hundred and twenty-two "lets" or suites of apartments. THE BOATS, both sailing and rowing, are well built and licensed as to the number they oarry. They are provided with fishing tackle. In the summer a Begatta occasionally takes place, when the Bay pre- sents a lively scene. The Ladies' BATHING MACHINES, about 30 in number, are in front of the Marine Terrace, and tfie Gentlemen's, about 20. on the beach in front of tho Queen's Hotel. They are on the model of those at Brighton. Tut: attendants are proverbial for their civility. Expert swimmers may frequently be seen .swimininz froui the Gentlemen's Machines to the Pier and back, a boat accompanying them for safety. In the season swimming matches take place, when the Pier becomes thronged with interested observers. The MARINE BATHS, tAider the supervision of Dr Rice Williams, are on the Terrace. They com- prise Hot and cold pure sea. water-sea weed baths, and fresh water baths," and are widely know*, having been established in 1821,. The SALT WATLIB PUBLIC SWIMMING BATHS, in Newfoundland-street, were opened in 1879. The Gentlemen's Bath is 77 feet long by 32 feet bro:d and the Ladies' Bath 72 feet long by 23 feet br<v.d. Both are well fitted with d. easing rooms, &e., and lighted with &as. The floors are of Portland cement, and the Gentlemen's Bath slopes from 3 feet 9 inches to 7 feet 3 inches the Ladies' from 3 feet -5 inches In 5 feet 9 inches. The buildings are well and ventilated, and the water, which is daily pumped from the sea, is kept at a temperature of about 'o-1 Fah., or about 10° Fah. above that of the sea. The Private Baths, supplied hot or cold, with fresh "r salt water, are handsomely fitted, and always ready for use. During the season EXCURSIONS are made, by rail, to Barmouth, Harlech, Dolgelley, Llandrindod Wells, Strata Florida, Swansea and Tenby; and by Steam Packed to Bardsey Island, Barmouth, New Qn iy, i,nd other placas of interest. Numerous excursion parties also arrive from various English and Welsh towns. THE CASTLE RUINS stand conspicuously on a natural promontory projecting into the sea between the entrance to the Harbour and the University Col- lage. The massive character of its ruins and its strong position confirm the historical accounts of its original importance. The first fortress, no trace ti which now remain*, WM built by Gilbert de Strongbow. son of Richard de Clare, Earl of Rtriguil or Chepstow, under grant of King Henry I., A D- 1109. It was destroyed by Owen Gwynedd. Other castles were successively built and destroyed during the wars of the Welsh princes. The castle whose ruins still remain was built by Edward I.. or by Edmund, his brother, during his stay at Llanbadarn- fawr in 1277. The first charter of incorporation was granted to the borough by Edward I. After the formal annexation of the Principality to England, the castle appears to have been in undisturbed pos- session of the English crown until the reign of Henry IV., when it was taken by the renowned chieftain and prince Owain Glyndwr. During the Civil Wars the Castle was held for Charles I., but in 1646 the Parliamentarian besiegers ohfciined possession of it, and undermined and blew ir to ruins, which, for nearly two centuries were allowed to crumble into decay. In 1844 a zealous antiquarian member of the Town Council caused the debris to be cleared away, bringing to view many interesting details. With its walks and seats it has now become a favourite resort of the visitors, who may be seen in the summer sea- son in happy groups, some knitting, some sketching, some sauntering, some reading, and some chatting, according to inclination, but all enjoying the salu- brious breezes and charming scenery which here abound. Methinks this spot pre-eminently one for meditation. Imagination restores the ruins to their pristine grandeur, and re-peoples its halls with their wonted guests, whilst the ancient bard recites his thrilling legends of Love or War, and the tradition- ary harper holds his listeners in rapt attention as he trills the melodies accompanying the ancient Penniil- ion, or thrums the martial strains of I he patriotic Cymry. But now bard, harpist, warrior, and lord of the Castle are all numbered with the past. The knight's bones are dust, And his good sworcl rust; His soul is with the saints, I trust." S. J. Coleridge :—" The Knight's Tomb." The views from the Castle hill are very fine. The coast, embracing Cardigan Bay, stretches away on the N.W. to the Eifl mountains and Bardsey Island, for the distance of thirty-three miles and to the S.W., towards St. David's head, for abuut the same distance, including the Rebecca mountain peak, Mynydd Pregelly (Priscilla Tup), height 1,753 feet, rising in form of a cone, the highest land in Pembroke- shire, and the towns of Aheraeron and New Quay. On the W. the ocean rolls in its native freedom between the Welsh coast and the coast of Ire- land, the town of Wexford being directly opposite Aberystwyth, distant about 70 miles. It has been asserted," remarks an old writer, "that a slight view of Wexford, in Ireland, which is situate opposite Aberystwyth, has been discovered in the sun's disc previous to its setting, from the Castle ruins." This of course is open to speculation But from Pen Dinas hill on a very clear day, with a good telescope, the Wicklow Mountains, in Ireland, the writer is assured, may he distinctly seen. If Ireland is distin- guishable from Snowdon—why not from Pen Dinns ? Snowdon. height, 3.71 feet; Cader Idris, height, 2.914, feet, and the lofty mountains of Carnarvon- shire are distinctly visible in clear weather. East- ward inland will be seen the lofty poalzs of Plvn- limoa, height. 2.4C3 feet, three in number, aptly called the British Alps, among which are the sor.r>-e; of the rivers Severn, the Wye, and the Rhoidol. T!:( Aberystwyth water supply is now obtained thence. The view m this direction furnishes a good impres- sion of the grandeur and awe-inspiring effect of mountainous scenery. Immediately below is the confluence of the river Rheidol with the Tstwyth, forming the harbour, extending from whdl is a. vier, with its flag-staft. light, controlled by Trinity Honse, and signal us for indicating to vessels the depth of the water on the bar. Pen Dinas, with the remains of an ancient British encampment, about SuO feet above the sea level,and the Wellington Monument, erected by the late Major Eichardes, Bryneithyn. in memory of his commanding officer, the Duke of Wel- lington. It is built in the form of a cannon, vertically, which accounts for its somewhat eccentric appearance. The valley of the Ystwyth. with the mansion of Tany- bwlch-the valley of the Rheidol, with Llanbadarn, Penparke Bridg". Piccadilly, and the oid coach road to the Devil's Bridge, and the shipbuilding yards, and vesseh- in the harbour. The ancient character of the town is seen to good effect. The grand sweep of the Perraoes, with the visitors and vehicles in motion, the boats upon the bay, and the bathers upon the beach, Towyn in the distance, the Pier, the University College, the Assembly Rooms, the Parish Church, the Grammar School, wi'h nuioerens other object- including the sheep -Socked fields npOH the verdant stupes, combine to form a ph-tare pleasant to contemplate. The intelligent Christian observer by scones such as here prese.it themselves will find his pious oniotions awakened, in the spirit of the Psalmist, How manifold are thy works. O Lord in wisdom hast Thou made them ati the earth is full of Thy riches. So is this great, and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts. There go the ships there is that leviathan, whom thou hast triads to play therein. These all wait upon Thee that Thou mayest give them their meat in due sea.30n.Ps. civ. These are Thy glorious works. Parent of good, Almighty Thiue this universal frame. Thus wondrous fair: Thyself how wondrous lheuf Unspeakable. Who sit'st above thes3 heav ns, To us invisible, or dimly seen In these Thy lowest works; yet these declare Thy goodness beyond thought, and power divine. Milton. The interest of the visitor will be drawn to the cannons on the castle grounds, facing the sea, 64 pounders, which were mounted in 1878, and are used at the 5th Brigade, Welsh Division, R.A. drills in May. The low square building, with lightning con« ductor, built in the moat of the castle, is the powder magazine. The STORM SIGNAL turret, and anemometer, for measuring the force of the wind, and gauge for regis- tering the rainfall, will not escape notice. The CAMERA OnscuRA (from Latin, earner a cham- ber, and obscura darkened), in which images of ex. ternal objects are exhibited on a white surface, is placed on the N.W. point of the Castle grounds. It is very wonderful. Unlike a painting, all is in motion, It is actually a livintr picture Its range is very extensive, embracing the magnificent front views of all the coast distinctly and clearly revealed, com- prising the Merionethshire and Cardiganshire hills, from Cardigan Head, on the south coast, to the north coast of Cardigan Bay up to Penybwch Point, part of the town cf Aberystwyth, Ystwyth and Clarach Valleys, front views of the University College, Marine Terrace, the Castle grounds, Pendinas and Constitution Hills (Craiglais), the whole length of the Beach from Craig-yr-Alltwen and the Harbour to Wallog point, the Eifl mountains, Bardsey Island, Snowdon, and distant hills may be seen. Every moveable object, such as boats on the sea, friends on the beach, and the Castle grounds, can be seen and recognised. The setting of the sun no one should omit seeing from the Camera Obscura. THE PIER was opened on Good Friday, 1865. It cost £ 13,600. It is about 690 feet in length. In January, 1866, a terrific storm washed away the head of the pier for about 100 feet, carrying portions of it to the shore three miles along the coast. In 1872 it was reconstructed, and the refreshment pavilion, with ts balcony and orchestra, erected. The Pier is an elegant structure, and when gaily deeked with ban- ners on gala days, or when illuminated with the coloured lamps by night, presents a very pretty and attractive appearance. From the western end beau- tiful views are obtained of the terraces and town, with the acclivitous hills at the back, Bardsey Island, the mountains of Carnarvonshire, Snowdon, Craiglais till, Pen Dinas hill, the University College, St. Michael's Church, the Castle Ruins, with the indented coast of Cardiganshire and Pembrokeshire stretching away to the south. Of a fine summer's day, when the season band plays, it is a pleasant and cheerful pro- menade, and much enjoyed by the visitors. The fol- lowing acrostic, from the pen of Mr C. V. Grinfield, )1.D., contains allusion to it ACROSTIC. As the fair sea-queen" of Cambria's land, Beautiful, bright, and yet pleasingly grand, Eleu as thy form now so graceful we view- Robed in rich vesture both ancient and new- Yes, as around thy rude Castle we stray, See we old times-in thy Pier see to-day: Thought, aye, and learning, here find their full sway; Wend we our way up that steep rugged height Yonder uprising; we view with delight Thence the wide prospect—there sparkling the sea, Here -vales and mountains, where oft we would be. The Pier is the property of a company. THE ASSEMBLY ROOMS, in Church-street, were opened in 1820. The style is Grecian, They com- prise a Ball and Promenade room, with an orchestra, billiard room and suite of ante rooms, and a dwelling house, and refreshments are provided. The building is now leased by the Library Committee, and the large room is available for balls, concerts, lectures, and public meetings. The TOWN CLOCK TOWER is a handsome stone structure, with a balcony look-out and weather vane. It is 62 feet in height, and is situated at the junction of Great Darkgate, Church, Bridge, and Pier streets. It was erected in 1856, on the site of the old Town Hall, and cost £ 1,250. Sir Pryse Pryse, Bart., of Gogerddan, generously presented the clock, which by night is illuminated. A barometer is so placed that it can be read by the public. There is a drink- Ing fountain and cup at the base, and drinking trough for dogs. The water issues from a marble bivalve shell, and is surrounded by a scripture text, Johniv. 13,14, cast in metal by the celebrated Coal- In-ook Dale Company. Those who observe the weather changes will be interested to know that the barometer, Negretti's, reads correctly with the Greenwich standard. It ia accompanied by a meteor* etogical table of readings for the correal montU is under the control of the National Lifeboat Insti- tution, the Rev. John Williams, Bridge-street, being the local secretary. It would be of great interest to visitors if allowed for a small charge to ascend to the upper balcony to enjoy the magnificent prospects it commands. HOTELS.—The Queen's is pleasantly situated on the northern part of the Marine Terrace, and embraces views of Craiglais Hill, the Eifl Mountains, Bardsey Island, the Terrace Promenade, the Pier, castle Hill and Ruins, Aberaeron, and the coast of Cardigan Bay for a distance of 30 miles towards St. David's Head, with the fine flowing ocean in front. The hotel was built in 1866. Architecturally it is one of the largest and handsomest buildings in the Principality. and "The Times," February 19th, 1868, says" It is one of the finest buildings of its class." It com- prises coffee and dining rooms, ladies' drawing room, library, billiard, smoking, and large table d'hote room, ten private sitting rooms, ana more than ono hundred bedrooms. Also an elegant assembly and concert room, holding about 400 persons, in which assemblies are held during the season. The Belle Vue Royal Hotel, situated on the Marine Terrace, consists of two houses thrown into one, -which gives it an appesyrance of a private dwelling. It comprises spacious commercial room, coffee room, ladies' coffee room, billiard room, library, and suites of apartments adapted for families, and seventy bedrooms. It is pleasantly situated close upon the sea, and commands extensive coast views. The Gogerddan Arms and Lion Royal Hotel, in Great Darkgate-street, is one of the oldest established and widely-known hotels in the town. It provides coffee and commercial rooms, large billiard room, suites of apartments for families, and a posting department. The Talbot, in Market-street, is an old established and well-known commercial and family hotel, and is much frequented by agriculturists. Besides the above, there are other hotels and many inns, most of which let apartments. There are also several temperance houses. The LODGING HOUSES are commodious, numer- ous, and generally well-appointed. Indeed, they will bear comparison with those in any other watering-place in the kingdom. Several thousands of visitors of all classes are accommodated. The terms vary with the varying season. In winter they are greatly reduced. PUBLIC CONVEYANCES.—Breaks, flys, Bath chairs,' saddle donkeys, pony carriages, bicycles, and tri- cycles are obtainable by visitors of the various proprietors. LIBRARY. The Free Library, at the 'Assembly Rooms, was established about i860. There are about three thousand volumes in various brandies of literature, which are being augmented annually by purchase and by donations. Visitors aro allowed to have books at twopence per volume. Works in more than one volume are charged at one penny each after the first. The Reading Room is accessible to visitors at one penny per visit, or one shilling per quarter. The late Mr. G. E J. Powell, Nant Eos, with a generous and patriotic spirit worthy of emulation, a few years ago presented up- wards of 1000 volumes. Mr. Isaac Pitman, of Baf h, the founder of Phonography, has also enriched its shelves by a handsome donation of modem works. The Right Reverend Dr. Basil Jones. Bishop of the Diocese, and the Right Reverend Dr. Hyle, Bishop of Liverpool, have likewise presented volumes. Tho LIFE BOAT was established in ISla, by the National Life Boat Institution. The boat- house is in Queen's-road, and is surmounted by a weather-vane. It is supported by voluntary contri- butions and a box is placed at the boat-house. There is also a Life Boat pillar box near the Belle Vue Hotel, on the Marine Terrace, enclosed by iron railings.—President of the Aberystwith Branch, Colonel Pryse chairman, His Worship the Mayor; honorary secretary, Rev. J. Williams, Bridge-street. The crew consists of twelve men—coxswain, Mr. Thomas Williams. "Sweet Charity, with generous will, May here a true recipient find, Where no deceptive arts can chill The love that warms for human kind. And while our rock-ribbed island stands, Let this be Britain's noble boast: That Life Boats, manned by gallant hands, Like guardian angels watch the coast." The MARKETS. There are markets for but- ter, eggs, poultry and vegetables, held respectively in Terrace-road, Market-street, and Pier-street. Th3 meat market is held in a large building in Church-street The real Welsh mutton is small, but very delicious in flavour, probably from the thyme- oasture of the mountains. Ralph Higdeu wrote- I. The beef is good, the mutton better, If England can produce such-let her A monthly market for cattle is held in the Smithfield on the first Monday in the month. Horse fairs are held twice a year. The Corn Market is held on Mondays in the hall in Market-street. This is the marke'-place also for cheese, wool, and sundry agricultural produce. Hiring Mondays are the three Mondays after November 12th, called "Dydd LInn Cyfiogau," and are held by ancient custom. FisH.-Th-,re is no fish market. Great quantities are landed here from the fishing smacks and sent off by rail, chiefly to Liverpool. The public are supplied by the shops and by the hand-barrows, which go from house to house with cod, herrings, sprats, mullets, mackerel, silver eyes, gurnet, skate, plaice, brill, dabbs, salmon (from the Teifi, the Dovey, and the Aeron), crabs, bass, lobsters, oysters, prawns, shrimps, and cockles. Laver (Ulva) grows upon the rocks, and may be obtained at the fish shops. It is much eaten in the south of Eneland. The CEMETERY was opened about twenty-one years ago. It is situate on the Llanbadarn-road, and occupies six acres of land. It is divided, as usual, into two portions—the consecrated and the nncon- secrated, and is provided with a church, chapel, and keeper's lodge It is prettily laid out with trees, shrubs, and flowers. The following stanza from a poem, the Welsh Grave," in allusion to the ancient national custom of planting flowers over graves, will be read with interest:- Oh full of beauty soft and kind— Oh ever gentle and refined Oh full of dear warm-hearted nature I Amiability's best feature! Suggested first by pensive love And into being framed to move, Wert tJwu-so exquisitively bland! Dear custom of my native land. Thy sous—wherever bora-have cried, While the generous scene they eyed, I Oh L- ei in simple taste The Cambrian peasant's grave is dress'd.' English visitors are invariably struck with the de- corous manner in which Sunday is observed at Aber- ystwyth, so diIrerent to the excitement and gaiety of the Continent. No excursion trains run, and all business is suspended. After the various places of religious worship are closed on a Sunday evening multitudes of well-conducted people may be seen promenading on the Terraces beside the bay. We trust that Aberystwyth will ever be loyal to the tra- ditions of the Cymry for their attachment to Sabbath observance. The graphic pen of the late gifted Frances Ridley Havergal, in her "Life Chords," has very beautifully pourtrayed the contrast between a British and a Continental Sabbath :— There is a cloud o'er other lands, though fair their mountains Le, And beautiful their sunny plains, re-echoing with glee: But on our Sabbath-loving hearts it cast a saddening gloom, While the mirth of all their songs is as the music of the tomb. They know no holy Sabbath rest: and yet, above, around, The trees are waving solemnly with a deep and holy sound; And the flowers s-mile to greet His day, and the streams more softly roll, And all things speak of God to the silent listening soul." CHURCHES.—St. Michael's is a plain edifice, near the Castle precincts. In 1762 the inhabitants of Aberystwyth issued an appeal for subscriptions for the erection of a Chapel-of-ease to the parish Church of Llanbadarn-fawr, in which it was stated that "the town had many years before been deprived of its Church by the sea gradually undermining it; and that there were several persons then living who had been married in the churchyard formerly belonging to the Church that had fallen, that their only place of worship then was the parish church of Llanbad- arn, upwards of a mile from the town and that all the inhabitants without exception were of the estab- lished Church of England." The Church was com- menced but remained a mere shell in an unfinished state for 22 years, having been used for boat-build- ing. It was finished in 1787. The Rev. R. Morgan, curate of Llanbadarn, became the first incumbent in 1S27. The present new and enlarged Church was built in 1830. It accommodates 1000 persons, and is in the latter style of English architecture. The tower has never been completed. A third of the sittings are free. The Orqran, by Robson, cost £3.50. It is in- tended to rebuild the fabric, in a different style of architecture. It is now a cruciform. Aberystwyth is in the Diocese of St. David's, Archdeaconry of Cardi- gan, and Deanery of Llanbadarn-Fawr.—St. Mary's Welsh Church is situate in Gray's Inn lane. It is a chapel-of-ease to St. Michael's. It was built in 1865, at the cost of X3.000. Style, Gothic holds 400. It is served by the vicar and curates of St. Michael's. Holy Trinity Church is situated on Buarth Mawr, to the east of the Railway Station, and is approached from the north g-ate. Later on a roadway will be made from Railway-terrace, by a continuation of Thespian-street. The design is a cruciform, in the early English style of architecture, and when com- pleted the Church will be one of the most handsome modern churches in the Principality. The nave was consecrated in August, 1886, with sittings for 308. The erection of the central tower and transepts waa commenoed in June, 1887, the foundation stone haT. ing been laid oa Jubilee day. The nave Wet 2,m. the transepts and lower part of the tower are esti- mated to eost J>3,000: and the chancel JE2.000; and the remainder of the tower and bells another £ 2,000. All sittings are free. Catholic Church, Our Lady of the Angels and St Winifrid, Queen's-road, opened 1875, holds 300. Llanbadarn Fawr, distance Ii mile. During the Bummer omnibuses convey visitors to and fro to enable them to attend the English service on Sunday mornings. The CHAPELS are numerous, on account of the bi- lingual population. They are for the most part com- modious and handsome edifices. The Welsh Sunday services are at 9.30 a.m., and 6 p.m. The English at 11 a.m., and 6 p.m. The usual week-day services are held in connection with each. There are Sunday schools connected with all the places of worship in the town.—In 1824 there were the Baptist chapel in Baker-street, the Wesleyan Methodist in Queen- street, the Calvinistic Methodist in Mill-street, and the Independent in Penmaesglas, all of which were Welsh. The state of religion in Aberystwyth was at that time considered to be very favourable. The fol- lowing numeral accommodation is approximate:— The Tabernacle, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Mill- street, built in 1785, enlarged 1832, rebuilt 1879, holds 1,100.—Shiloh, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, North-parade, built 1863, holds 1,100; style, Italian Gothic. Congregational, English, Portland-street, built 1866, holds 450, style Gothic, spire 80 feet. Congregational, Welsh, from Penmaesglas, Baker- street, built 1878, holds 500. Presbyterian Calvinistic Methodist, English, Newfoundland-street, built 1871, style, Gothic, holds 300. Baptist, Welsh, Baker-street, rebuilt 1833, holds 500. Baptist, English, Alfred- place, Baker-street, built 1871, holds 326, style Gothic. Wesleyan, Welsh, St. Paul's Great Dark- gate-street, built 1879, holds 600. Wesleyan, Welsh, Moor-street, built 1869, holds 200. Wesleyan, English, Queen's-road, built 1869, holds 300. The United Methodist Free Church, Welsh, Lewis-ter- race, built 1841, holds 300. The UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF WALES is situate near St. Michael's Church and the Castle ruins. This structure was originally erected on the site of Castle House, by the late Sir Uvedale Price, Bart., of Fox- ley, Herefordshire, the architect being the celebrated Mr Nash, the designer of Regent-street, and other works in London. It is a castellated mansion, of somewhat fantastic appearance, in imitation of the Gothic, and consists of three octagonal towers, con- nected by ranges of apartments. In front is a balcony overlooking the sea small turrets in character are added at each end. It was originally intended as a marine summer residence for his family, the late Lady Caroline Price being very partial to the place. The baronet having died before the completion of the building, it Was afterwards enlarged as an hotel, at an expenditure of < £ 80,0u0 but tfee company hav- ing failed, it ultimately became the property of the University College of Wales. at a cost of X10,000. The College was established chiefly through the ex- ertions of the late highly respected Sir Hugh Owen, who was knighted in recognition of his patriotic labours in the promotion of Education in Wales. Government is giving a grant of < £ 4,000 per annum. It was formally opened on October 9th, 1872, with twenty alumni. The college has several scholarships open to Welsh and English competitorship. The Library and Museum will interest visitors. The President is the Right Hon. Lord Aberdare. Princi- pal, the Rev. T. C. Edwards, D.D. (Edin.), M.A. (Oxon and Lond.), late scholar of Lincoln College, Oxford. Registrar and Librarian, Mr E. P. Jones) M.A., B.D. (Glasgow). The Library contains many works of value. The Museum contains many inter- esting collections illustratirtg the various branches of geology, mineralogy, natural history, and also many curiosities, many of them the gift of the late Mr G. E. J. Powell, Nant Eos, and other benefactors. A Magazine is issued by the students. The ABERYSTWYTH PEBBLES are of nnceasing in. terest to visitors. They are cut, polished, and mounted by local lapidaries. Agates, named from Achates in Sicily, composed of layers of different tinted quartz; Onyx, an agate formed of layers of chalcedony of various colours, from Greek, onyx a finger nail; Jasper, a siliceous many-coloured mineral; Topaz, a precious stone of brilliant colours, from Greek, topazos to light; Crystal, from Greek, kryos, ice; Cornelian, from Latin carnis, flesh and flesh-coloured variety of chalcedony; Amethyst, a violet-tinted variety of quartz, from Greek amythys- tos, not drunken, bpm%im supposed to prevent in- toxication Mocco, from k moschos, a tender plant, descriptive of its plftnt-like formations. Very beautiful ferns, nosses, and wild flowers abound in the neighbourhood. The seaweeds repay for collecting. Solan geese, cormorants, and many species of wild sea fowl are occasionally seen along the coast. RECREATIONS.—Theatricals, Concerts, Assemblies, Balls, Lectures and various entertainments, in addi- tion to Lawn Tennis, Cricket, Archery, Football, Boating and Fishing. Among the GENTLEMEN'S SEATS may be noted Crosswood Park: the Right Hon. Earl Lisburne; Gogerddan, Sir Pryse Pryse, Bart.; Nanteos, Mr. W. B. Powell; and Hafod, once the "Fonthill" of Wales, with its remarkably beautiful surroundings of mountains, wood, and water, and its church dating from 1620, rebuilt in 1803, and containing an exqui- site monument by Chantry. THE MOUNTAINS.—The visitor to Aberystwyth, whether he sails upon the bay or whether he walks, rides, or drives about the neighbourhood, cannot fail to be impressed with the loftiness and striking gran- deur of the adjacent as well as the distant mountains. Many an ancient bard has drawn his inspiration from his native mountains. The mountains, too," aptly observes the author of Wales Past and Present," are associated not only with a characteristic poetry, but with a hearty love of independence, such as the Welsh enjoy in common, with the Highlander of Scot- land, and the dweller in Switzerland. Of this strong relish for liberty hills seem the fitting nursing ground. There nourished it has exhibited itself in a daring and heroism which has time after time made its leg- ible mark on history, and graven out annals which passing centuries cannot efface. On the highest peaks of some mountains a thoughtful man, taking in the whole vast distance before him, might exclaim, as he notes its primitive appearance, such was the world ere Adam delved." No spade or axe have here left their achievements; the fern, the gorse, and the wild thyme have lived and died for ages, and the only ruler has been the storm. Far away, on distant mountains, may be seen glimpses of human life, small farms crouching in hollows, with strips of cultivated land around, and all insignificant in the extreme com- pared with the great unfenced tracts that surround. Bracing health and pleasant mind our mountains in- variably yield. WALKS abound in all directions. Following are a few of them :—On the south, through Trefechan, by the side of the harbour, and along the shore to a cottage, then along the river-side, with Tanybwlch on the right, for a mile or so to a bridge, near Elm Cottage, and then backalong the road to the south gate; afterwards returning by the road, or through the meadow and Plascrug walk, on the right, or through Llanbadarn. The top of Pen Dinas can be reached by turning to the right by Trefechan railway bridge; along the lane and footpath to the Monument, and down the other side, coming out near the railway bridge. Plascrug walk runs from near the Station towards the old Castle; thence on the left through the Cemetery, or as far as the Tanyard, and into Llan- badarn-road; or keeping to the right, across the railway and on to the stone bridge, returning through Penparke on the right, or Llanbadarn on the left. A longer walk may be obtained by going beyond the bridge along the river-side for about a mile, thence across the railway and into the road and back. Several walks diverge from the Machynlleth road. Nearly opposite the Workhouse is the entrance to the lovers' walk, for admission to which a charge is made. Higher up the hill (Penglais hill), on the right-hand side, opposite Penglais lodge, is a pleasant walk through the fields which leads to the new reservoir. From this point a lane leads on to the village of Llanbadarn, and a path goes down to Llan- gawsa, then back by the road or by Plascrug. Still higher up the hill arc cross roads close to Cefnhendre Hall. That on the right leads to Llan- badarn also, by keeping to the left, towards the Darren Mine and British encampment, some half-a- dozen miles distant. At the village of Waun a path diverges to the right, and passes through a very pretty dingle into Llanbadarn. Half-a-mile further, near Lluest Gwilym, a road branches back to Llan- badarn, passing by Bronpadarn. Another half-a-mile further is Fronfraith, where a pretty lane turns to the right, passing Fronygog and Nantceirio Hall, and into Llanbadarn-road. Another path nearly opposite Fronfraith, on the left, leads to the Machynlleth road, close to Ivy Cottage. Half-a-mile beyond Fron- fraith is Peithyll. where there are cross roads. That on the right leads to Llanbadarn-road, along which back to town, passing, on the right, Lovesgrove, Dole, Fronfraith, and Nantceirio Hall. The road to the left at Poithyll leads to Gogerddan, Bow Street, &c., on the Machynlleth road. From Bow Street there is a road leading to Clarach, where again there are cross roads. Llangorwen Church is prettily situated here. One leads back to town through Cwm woods, near the mansion, and out at the cross roads on the Machynlleth road already mentioned, and down Penglais hill. Another road from Clarach leads to the sea, from which point a path returns to town, over Constitution Hill, and another goes north- ward, past Wallog and Moelcerney, to Borth. The latter place is also reached from Clarach by a road. A lane also runs from Clarach to the beach on the south aide of the valley. Opposite the west entrance to Cwm a path nu through the wood towards the town; on the top of the hill the pedestrian may take his choice of three ways. He can turn to the left, go along a lane and out into the Machynlleth road near Cefnhendre Hall; or he can go down the Bryny- mor read; or follow the path slightly to the left of the latter, and come in sight of the town close by Penglais Cottage, over the quarry. Constitution Hill is a very popular resort, the quarry, with its many winding paths and cosy nooks, being an especial favourite, 'ihis is private pro- perty, and a feeling is growing that the Corporation should purchase or lease it, as it is in dahger of being enclosed. Alone Brynymor road as far as the mansion, and then back over Ropewalk Hill, is a pleasant walk. As a WINTER RESIDENCE the general testimony to Aberystwyth is very favourable. Of course the great' influx of visitors is in Summer, but the Spring and Autumn are very enjoyable. The WELSH LANGUAGE is spoken by about one million of the inhabitants. Dialects of the Welsh language are also spoken in Brittany and some dis- tricts of northern Germany. In the compilation of the above the subject matter was so extensive and the space at disposal necessarily so limited, that condensation approaches abruptness. During the past 40 years the writer has occasionally travelled throughout the length, breadth, and centre of the Principality. He has read much of its literature and mingled with its people, and cordi- ally testifies to the hospitality, law-abiding spirit, and loyalty to the Throne, of the warm-hearted, Sabbath-observing, Bible-loving, and patriotic Cymry. The spreading vales, meandering rivers, extensive woodlands, fishing, rushing waterfalls, and rolling ocean, deep ravines, ferns and flowers, sea weeds and products of the deep, stratified and weird- looking rocks and majestic mountains, all so brought as it were into one focus in this favoured region, combine to display both the wonderful and the beau- tiful works of God, and to draw forth from the devout and intelligent visitor the exclamation My Father made them all!"
PLACES OF INTEREST. Llanbadarn Fawr. The Church of Padarn the Great." The original Church was destroyed by the Danes when they invaded Wales, A.D. 988. The present,' 12th century Gothic, is supposed to date contemporary with William the Conqueror. The tower contains a peal of sweet toned bells, six cast at Gloucester in 1749, and inscribed-" I to the Church the living call. and to the grave do summon all," Peace and good neighbourhood," "Prosperity to the Church of England," "When you us ring we'll sweetly sing;" two were added in 1886. The nave was restored in 1869, the tower in 1880, and the chancel in 1884. The church is now one of the finest in Wales. It contains monuments by Flaxman and Bailey. Llanbadarn Fawr is pleasantly situated among country lanes bestud with ferns and wild flowers, corn fields and meadow lands with lowing kine, fleecy sheep, and warbling birds, forming an enjoyable contrast to the sterile rocks of the coast. The Devil's Bridge is a spot which once seen will never be effaced from the memory. The drive abounds in charms. Passing through quaint Tre- fechan-through Piccadilly turnpike onwards to the 9th milestone, 970 feet above the sea level-thence to the picturesque Hafod Hotel, where a scene of wild beauty bursts upon the enraptured view. The valley of the Rheidol contracts into a deep glen, the rocky banks of which are clothed with woods—with ferns, mosses, lichens and luxuriant wild flowers. Hawks, occasionally kites, and other birds abound. The Devil's Punch Bowl is a scene of terrific, weird grandeur. The falls of water are about 500 feet in extent. The Robber's Cave, the rugged steps and rustic bridges, have each their interest. The Devil's Bridge itself consists of two arches, the lower one having been built by the Cistercian Monks of Strata Florida in 1087, and the upper by the county in 1753. The Hotel is well appointed. Ph/nlimmon lifts his lofty form 2,469 feet above the sea level; like a bride at a wedding, the ob- served of all observers. Historically it abounds in interest. It has five peaks, whence its name. It comprises the sources of five rivers—the Severn, the Wye, the Rheidol, the Llyfnant, and the Dulas. Rare plants are to be found. There are inns at Dyffryn Castell and Steddfagurig. There are Druidi- cal Circles there. The Llyn Llygad Rheidol, covering 13 acres and 60 feet in depth, is the unsullied source of the Aberystwyth water supply. The mountain is easy of access, and Picnics are frequent. The drive to it is beautiful. It is a weird region. Not in the pTrrenzy of a dreamer's eye, Nor in the fabled landscape of a lay, But soaring cloud-clad through its native sky, In the wild pomp of mountain majesty." Bow Street, the valley of Llanfihangel Geneu'rglyn, and Castell Gwallter, a British encampment. Borth.-This quiet, pleasant fishing village is gradu- ally developing into a much-frequented sea-side health resort. It is a desirable place for large fami- lies of little children, as the sands are so safe, and furnish abundant amusements for the juveniles. The bathing is excellent. The sands, which extend for two miles, abound with pretty shells, especially to- wards the estuary of the Dovey. At times the sea is to be witnessed in all its stormy grandeur. The ris- ing hill of Taliesin, with the lofty Plynlimmon form- ing the sombre background, with their historical associations, the spreading turbary, Cors Fochno, the passing trains, the rolling ocean, and the distant Bardsey Island, with the tranquil little town of Aber- dovey, the pure atmosphere and constant transforma- tions of the clouds, and the occasionally almost sub- lime sunsets, combine to form a picture upon which the eye of the poet, the painter, or lover of Nature delights to dwell. The stumps of trees, remains of a forest, are distinctly discernible at low water. The name ef Borth is from the Welsh Porth, an entrance, a gateway, a refuge, a port, as seen in Porthoawl, Portmadoc. Scholars will note that in Welsh, as in English, Italian, and French, the initial consonant undergoes transmutation. The Cambrian Hotel is a large and handsome edifice close upon the beach, facing Cardigan Bay. It is appointed with the usual auxiliary comforts for tourists and travellers. There is a Lawn Tennis ground, and provision for out-door amusements of all kinds. It is very near the railway station. Good lodging houses. Distance eight miles. May be reached by a pleasant walk over Craiglais hill and across Clarach valley, returning by rail. Bedd Taliesin, the grave of the renowned Welsh Bard Taliesin, author of the patriotic prophesy- Still shall they chaunt their Maker's praise, Still keep their language and their lays, But nought of all their old domain, Save Gwalia's rude and mountain reign," -is situate on a high hill near the village of Taliesin and may be reached from Llanfihangel, Borth and Glandovey stations. Llyfnant Valley, beautifully wooded, is reached from Glandovey Station. Machynlleth is a quiet but progressing town, twenty miles from Aberystwy.th, on the banks of the Dovey. Owain Glyndwr held a Parliament here. The Plas, adjoining the town, is the residence of the Dowager Marchioness of Londonderry. A day may be very pleasantly spent by a journey, by the narrow gauge railway, which passes through beautiful scenery, to Corris, thence by road to Taly- llyn lake, near the foot of Cader Idris, and down to Abergynolwyn, from which place another narrow gauge line runs to Towyn. Another journey may be made from Cemmaea Road station by a branch railway, constructed by Sir Edmund Buckley, to Dinas Mawddwy, passing Cemmes, Aberangell, and Mallwyd. Three miles further up the valley of the Dovey is Llanymawddwy. Bala may be reached from here by crossing the mountain, the pass being one of the highest in Wales. Between Cemmes Road and Machynlleth is the pretty little village of Llanwrin, the Rectory of which is the happy home of the well-known Welsh litterateur and eminent lexicographer the Rev. Prof. Silvan Evans. Near Cemmes Road is also Mathafarn, the house where Henry VII. (then Earl of Richmond) was en- tertained, in 1485, by Dafydd Llwyd ap Llewelyn, on his way from Milford Haven to Bosworth. Aberdovey is a mercantile port of growing import- ance, the Cambrian Railways Company having opened up the business of the place, and connected it by steamer with Waterford, in Ireland. The town is very pleasantly situated, and, owing to its genial, warm climate, is known as the Torquay of Wales." So sheltered is its position that fig trees grow and flourish in the open air in the neighbourhood, the fruit of which, in some cases, ripen while at Christ- mastime the myrtle is in full blossom. This fact has induced many families to permanently reside here. There is also an extensive stretch of firm and smooth sands, reaching from the town to Towyn, thus afford- ing a most invigorating and healthful walk, the breezes coming straight frcm the Bay, being pure and bracing. There are very interesting walks along the mountain ridges to Llynbarfog (Bearded Lake), and other places. The drive from Aberdovey to Machynlleth is lovely, passing through the pictur- esque little village of Pennal, where there still exist remains of a Roman station. There is excellent fish- ing in the neighbourhood, the river Dovey being celebrated for its salmon, in addition to which the river Dysynni is within easy walking distance. There are ample means for excursion by water or railway, while the pedestrian will find a constant source of recreation and enjoyment, whether he be a botanist, geologist, or mineralogist. A ferry-boat connects the town with the Cardiganshire side of the river, and after crossing a pleasant walk of about three miles will bring the visitor to the village of Borth, and within six miles of Aberystwyth. There ia good aoeommedatien for visitors. Barmouth, a rising, progressing, fashionable water- ing-place. with excellent boating, bathing, and fishingy good hotels and lodging houses. The railway bridge across the river has a footway for passengers, which affords most beautiful views of river, sea, sylvan and mountain scenery. The scenery along the valley of the Mawddach, from Barmouth to Dolgelley, is one of the finest in the kingdom. Towyn is situated on the Cambrian Railways, four- miles north of Aberdovey. There is a pleasant walk from the town to the sea, where the visitor has • splendid view of Cardigan Bay. It is well adapted for bathing, having a safe, sandy beach, extendin. for a distance of about six miles. Added to the lovely beach, the town is surrounded by beautiful walks and drives, the scenery blending the with the picturesque. Towyn is situated in a valley, with a range of mountains on either side; Cader Idris may be seen towering in the distance, the height above the level of the sea being 2,850 feet One of the most celebrated spots in the neighbour- hood is the Cra.ig-y-deryn (Birds' Rock) about four miles distant. The walk or drive thither is very pleasant; leaving the town, after traversing about two miles, the visitor will arrive at Pontfathew Bridge, and then will pass through the pretty little village of Bryncrug, shortly afterwards turning to tiie right the base of the rock is reached. Some, however, prefer the view from the river, over which portions of the rock hang in majestic grandeur. The rock is the resort of hawks, cormorants, and other birds, and hundreds may be seen there at the same time. Returning to the town, we again take a view in the direction of the sea, and in bright weather get a view of Bardsey Island, the Carntr-voilshire hilla, the town and castle of Aberystwyth, and the Pem- brokeshire hills. A pleasant excursion may be made by the little railway which runs from here to Aber- ganolwyn, a district which is rich in historical associations. The river Dysinni affords capital fishing for salmon sewin, and trout, and Talyllym Lake is also within easy access of the town, where boats may be obtained. There are two hotels near the lake. The Happy Valley is much resorted to by collectors of ferns and wild flowers, which grow and luxuriate here in abundance. In the town the Church. of St. Cadvan will attract attention. It has withim the past few years been restored. In the sixth century an Armorican monk, of noble birth, named Cadvau, was driven from his native land to Bardsey, or Ynya Knlli, the storm-beaten island two miles out from the Carnarvonshire promontory, at the north-western, point of Cardigan Bay. Here he became abbot; and, in extension of his missionary labour, sailed to- Towyn, confuted, with more or less effect, the Pela- gian heresy, and founded the church which bears his name. Antiquarian zeal would fain have it that por- tions of the structure, spared by the Danes, are stiff to be traced in the ancient masonry. This much, at; least, can be said of St. Cadvan's Church, which was restored in 1880, that its architecture retains considerable evidence of remote antiquity, and that it presents, at sevaral points, a moat interesting example of the earliest Norman architec- tare, rude, massive, stronsr, as with an instinct of defence natural enough in violent and sacrilegious t\mes. The nave, with its round arches, carried on pillars of ample girth, the northern transept, the southern aul northern aisles, and the clerestory, all preserve inviolate their true Norman character. Re- cumbent effigies are those of Gruffydd ap Adda, of Dolgoch, who was Rhaglaw, i.e., steward, under Wdward III., for the commot of Ystamaner, and whose daughter, by name Nest, celebrated in old Welsh poetry, who was buried here; and a more ancient figure, apparently female, supposed to re- present Gwenddydd, motner of Cyngan, Prince of L'owys in the sixth century. The first named of these monumental sculptures pourtrays an armed knight, over whom is a canopy. Within the church, but formerly external to its walls, will be seen, with, curious interest, a monument which is one of the most precious to students of Wei A. antiquity and religion; though, indeed, it was sadly neglected during a period of comparatively modem Philistinism, when it was put to the base use of » gate-post. This is no other than St. Cad van". pillar, bearing cross and inscription in rare characters, pronounced to be British, with] Roman debasements, ot the seventh or eighth century. The"e characters are not seen in their pr <S9 form elsewhere, except on a stone fixed in the 1 over a fire-pla je in a house on Bardsey Island. T iscription on the pillar has been thus interpreter1 Jhe body of Cyngan is on the side where the marks ibe.' Under a similar monad extended Cadvan t3au that it should enclose the praise of the earth may he rest without blemish." Picturesque Wales." The houses at ToWJ" built in the modern style,, and there is very good, lodging accommodation. In the centre of the town is a celebrated well known as St. Cadvan's Well, to which was attributed miraculous powers of health-giving, the good saint's benediction having rested upon it. Physicians of well-known repute have confirmed the legend of ita curative and renovating properties, among those who have borne testimony to the delights of sea- bathing,- &c., at Towyn being Sir Spencer Wella, Bart., President of the Royal College of Surgeons at England, Dr. Bristowe, physician to St. Thomas's Hospital, Dr. Alfred Baker, of Birmingham, Dr. Wm. Dobie, of Chester, and Dr. Carpenter, of Croydon. A cave near the town is the haunt of aU who visit the shore, which is assigned by tradition as the refuge of Owain Glyndwr in the depth of his adversity. Crosswood, or Trawscoed, is the residence of tlia Earl of Lisburne, and is also the name of a station 011 the Manchester and Milford Railway. The scenery is delightful. Caradog Falls, and Ystrad Meurilr quarry, the property of the Corporation of Aber- ystwyth, where spry fine stones are raised, are passedl between CrosswSod and Strata Florida stations. Strata Florida, with its classic ruins of Ystrad Flur Abbey. Numerous Welsh princes, lords, barda, and distinguished personages have been interred ia its cemetery. Near it is Pontrhydfendigaid, the bridge of the blessed ford. The Teify Pools are also near. Ystrad Meurig, with its well-known and Well- endowed grammar school, is half a mile from the latter station. Aberaeron, a sea port and rising watering-placa—« r, Pisa 16 miles from Aberystwyth. There is a good hotel, the Feathers, and lodgings are numerous. The airr is bracing and the sea clear, with a shingle beach. Good salmon and trout fishing. The artist, photo- grapher, and the antiquarian will find much of interest. Sweet Aeran's vale unknown in song, Demands the warbling lyre; Shall silver Aeron glide along, And not a bard inspire ? What bard that Aeron sees can fail To sing the charms of Aeron's vale ?" New Quay is prettily situated on the hill-side, seven, miles below Aberaeron. Tregaron is an inland market town, where dwelt, in 1620, Twm Shon Catti, the Robin Hood" and "Wild wag of Wales," who married an heiress, aniI afterwards became a county magistrate. Lampeter is an increasing market town, pleasantly situated, and the site of St David s College, founded by Bishop Burgess in 1827. It confers the B.A. and. B.D. degrees. Visitors will find a good deal of information, written in an agreeable style, with respect to Norila and Mid Wales, in "Picturesque Wales," by Mr .Godfrey Turner, The Gossiping Guide to Wales, and The Pictorial Guide to North Wales," Ac., See-
« JOHN MORGAN, STEAM PRINTER, Printing for Churches and Chapels, and Sunday- Schools, Tea Meetings, Lectures, Concerts, &c. Particulars and Conditions of Sale, Catalogues, &c. Draw Tickets, at Cheap Rates. Billheads, Memorandum Forms, Handbills, Business Cards, Circulars, &c. Books, Pamphlets, Reports, &e. Friendly Societies' Subscription Cards, Rules and Bye-Laws. Programmes and Books of Words. Memorial Cards, neatly printed, in Welsh and English. Mining, Shipping and Railway Work. Legal and Mercantile Work. Window Bills, Posters, Rent, Rate, Receipt and Order Bsoks, Perforated and Numbered, &c., &c., &o. Printed by Steam Power and Published by Joiwr MORGAN, at the Obsarrer" Office, 1, Hortfc Parade, Aberystwyth, WEDNESDAY, JULY 27, 1887.