Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

24 articles on this Page

tester 100 Years go.

[No title]







. A UDLEilf.













♦ TARPORLEY. ACCIDENT.-The Rev. E. M. Ellis met with an accident while riding his bicycle on Wednesday evening. Coming dewn High-street, he ran over a stone in the road and was thrown from his machine to the ground, hurting his knee rather badly. Care should be taken with regard to such stones being allowed on a main road, as they are most dangerous to cyclists. CHOIR TRIP.—The junior members of the four church choirs were taken by Mr. Grocott and Mr. Garner for their annual trip on Thursday. The destination was Rhyl. The weather was everything that could be desired, and a most enjoyable day was spent, the delights of sea and town being fully appre- ciated. Home was reached about nine p.m. This makes the final church trip for this season. TRIP TO LLANDUDNO.—The annual trip pro- vided for the members of the adult Sunday Bible class in connection with the parish church was arranged to take place on Tuesday, the destination being Llandudno. For some reason, only a small number of the members availed themselves of the enjoyable treat. Those who did go most thoroughly enjoyed the pleasant journey, the excellent fare provided for them at Llandudno, and the nice long day by the sea. The happy party arrived home shortly before midnight, grateful to those who had so kindly provided the treat for them, and to Mr. Grocott for all the arrangements connected therewith. DEATH OF MR. WOODWARD.—A deep gloom has been cast over Tarporley by the death of Mr. Edwin Woodward, which took place on Saturday evening, after a long illness. For over 41 years Mr. Woodward held the office of parish clerk in Tarporley Church, he having served under three rectors. He was most highly esteemed and respected by all who knew him, and was devoted to his church, which had passed through so many stages of restoration during the time he was in office. The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon. The coffin was of oak with brass furnishings. The funeral cortege was met by the clergy at the church- yard gates. A procession was formed, and the coffin, which was covered with beautiful wreaths, tributes of love and esteem from relatives and friends, was borne to the chancel step by six of the deceased's employes. There were a large number of mourners present, among them the sons, daughters, and relatives of the deceased, the Earl of Haddington, Dr. McCulloch, Mr. W. F. Bunce, Mr. Grocott, and the principal tradesmen in the town. As the remains were carried to the church the opening sentences of the burial service were read by the Rev. W. O. Hughes. On arriving in church, the 39th Psalm was read by the Rev. E. M. Ellis, then the lesson. The coffin was borne to the grave, where the remainder of the service was read by the Rector and the Rev. E. M. Ellis. A muffled peal was rung during the afternoon. A DOSE OF CARBOLIC ACID: To DO HIM t Saturday, at Mr. Cawley's offices, John Woolley, of Tarporley, butcher, formerly of Nantwich, was charged before the Earl of Haddington with attempting to poison himself with carbolic acid. Mrs. F. Stockton deposed that on Monday, the 23rd August, her daughter, the prisoner's wife, fetched her to his house, where she found him very ill in bed. She asked him why he had taken carbolic acid, and he said he did not know why or how much be had taken. He did not remember taking it. Dr. Hewer was called in, and the stomach pump was used. The prisoner had for about a month complained of his head, and was under the care of the doctor.—Samuel E. Cowap, chemist, Tarporley, stated that at 4.30 p.m. on the Monday referred to, the prisoner purchased from him threepenny worth of carbolic acid, for, he said, disinfecting a drain. The same even- ing the bottle of acid was handed to him by P.C. James, and on measuring the acid he found there was an ounce less than when he sold it to the prisoner.-P.C. James deposed to going upstairs and finding the prisoner in bed. He asked him how much of the acid he had taken, and he said three spoonsful. He asked him why he had taken it, and he said some man he had met in the street told him to take it to do him good. He said he did not know who the man was. When he saw the prisoner, he appeared to be rambling in his mind and did not know what he was doing or saying. When he charged him that morning, ne said All right.' His Lordship took a lenient view of the case, and Woolley was discharged on his friends promising to take care of him.