Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

15 articles on this Page




[No title]



[No title]



FATAL MOTOR ACCIDENT AT LLANDUDNO. INQUEST ON THE: LATE MR. JOHN RAINSFORD. MOTORIST AND THE! STOPPING OF OARS. An inquest into the death of Mr John R,ainsford, who was knocked down and killed on the parade by a motor car, was held by Mr Coroner P'entir Williams, on Friday last. Mr W. H. Jones, chairman of Llandudno Council, being elected fore- man of the jury. Mr R. S. Chamberlain was present on behalf of the family. John James Rainsford, son of deceased, identified the body, and said his father was 74 years of age, was a very active man with his faculties unimpaired. His eye- sight and hearing were both good, and he was nimble on his feet. George Cecil Bell, a visiitor staying at the Lyric Boarding Establishment-, said he saw the accident, which happened about a quarter to three the previous day. He was standing on the steps and saw the motor come along and heard the sounding of the horn. Almost simultaneously he, saw the man fall. When he first saw the car it was only about six yards away from deceased, who was walking across the parade. The car was not travelling faster than six miles an hour. A cab was stand- ing on the promenade side of the road, and the deceased was also on that side of the road, which was the wrong side for the motor to be on. He thought there was plenty of room on the other side for the car to pass, but could not definitely say there was, because his view was obscured by bushes. He could not say if there was anything in the road to hide the approach of the car from the view of deceased, who when he saw it appeared to hesitate and get confused. He did not see what the motorist did, and thought the deceased was struck by the bonnet of the car, but had since ascertained that he was struck by the mudguard and thrown beneath the car and the front wheel passed over his body. Immediately the accident occurred he took his wife into the house and then went to the spot. The motor car was then standing about thirty yards beyond the spot, so he could not say in what space it was pulled up. In reply to Mr Chamberlain, witness said a letter addressed to 98, Mulgrave Street, Liverpool, would always find him. Questioned further by Mr Chamberlain, he said deceased was struck down close to the promenade, and in his opinion there would be plenty of room for the car to pass on its right side even if there was another vehicle in the road. It -was clear that the motorist was not on his right pla-ce in the roadway. P.O. Charles Ross sa,id he was called to the spot where the accident happened opposite Mbsttyn Crescent, and proceeded there with the ambulance. Deceased was then lying on a. sofa in the hall of one of the houses with Dr. Craig in attendance. The spot where the accident happened was pointed out to him. It was on the left hand side as going in the direction of Graigydon. When he was there he saw no reason for the car being on the wrong side of the road. Richard Simmonds, Elm Place, Alder- shot, was called, and said that he was the driver of the car, and that when opposite Mostyn Crescent he collided with deceased. His wife was with him on the car, and they were coming down very gently from the direction of the, Little Orme. He had got into the, wrong side of the road in order to avoid the town 'bus which was being pulled up on his side of the road to change horses. After passing the 'bus another vehicle came on the same side, and after passing that he was working back his proper side when the accident happened. "The old man stepped into the road about twelve yards in front of the car," continued witness. "I blew my horn, and shouted with all my might, and put the the brakes down hard. I could have stopped in aonther six yards, as I was not travelling more than six miles an hour." The Coroner We were told at a -certain inquiry this week that a car could be pull- ed up in its own length when travelling even fifteen miles an hour. Witness I have not- proved that to be true. My car is a heavy one, weighing thirty-three hundred weights, and would travel further than that on its own impetus. It could not be stopped dead as might, be possible with a small car. The Coroner It was said over and over again at Bangor that it could. Continuing his evidence, witness said that deceased stepped off the footpath without looking to the right, or to the left. When the car was within a yard or two, of him he realised his position, hesitated, and then turned back. He was, however, struck by the mudguard in the stomach and both wheels of the car passed over him. If instead of stopping he had kept, straight on witness believed he would have cleared him. Reverting to the pulling up of the car, Mr Chamberlain said he had been told in court that any motor car could be pulled up almost instantaneously. Witness. My own experience does not tell me that it can, sir. Hugh Evans, cab driver, 3, Back Madoc Street, was the next witness, but he could not throw much additional light on the- matter. He, however, said the accident happened near the middle of the road. He did not see or hear the motor coming, but did hear the deceased shout and then saw him fall beneath the wheels. He was the first to reach' the deceased. The only words he said were, "I'm done now." He was carried into the house opposite, but- died almost immediately. In explanation of deceased not hearing the a-pproach of the car, Mr Simmonds said it was a very quiet runningi one. The Coroner That would increase the danger. Mrs Eidith Walton, wife of Mr Arthur Walton, stockbroker, Warwick House, Asht.on-on-Mersey, also gave evidence confirming that as to the speed of the car. In reply to the Coroner, Mr Simmonds said that shortly before, the accident his speedometer registered just under ten miles an hour, but, the speed had subse- quently been reduced. The Coroner then summed up the evi- dence, and said that all the; witnesses agreed that the car was travelling at a very moderate rate. He pointed out as bearing on the question of the right or wrong side of a road that, a, motor-car had a perfect right, as had every other vehicle, to travel over any part, of the road, according to circumstances. It seemed to him that the motorist in this case had done all he could to avert an accident, and had Rainsford not hesitated an accident probably would have been avoided. Under such conditions it was difficult for a motorist to know exactly what the right thing to do, and a decision had to be come to instantly. The posi- tion was similar to that of two pedestrians meeting in a street. There is a momentary hesitation on the part of both, and then a collision. He did not see how the- jury could come to any other conclusion than that the man met his death by an accident. The jury returned a verdict of acci- dental death, and expressed their sym- pathy with the family. Mr Simmonds asked to be allowed to say how greatly distressed he and his wife had been by the accident. The Coroner: We are all agreed that you did all you could to prevent it, and have been very humane in the matter and behaved like a thorough gentleman.- (Hear, hear.) The funeral took place on Monday at the Cemetery of St. Tudno, and was of a private character, but all blinds were drawn as a mark of sympathy for the widow land only son of deceased.






[No title]