Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

11 articles on this Page

The Late Mr. James Sugden,I…


Nodion Ned Llwyd.


---.--Incorporated Society…

----.. Croes Honotius."

[No title]

The Abergele Charges.I


The Abergele Charges. I COMMITTAL TO THE QUARTER SESSIONS. On Saturday, at a special court, Daniel Owen, a labourer, latelv in the employ of Mr. R. Cross, Llanddulas Mills, was brought up on remand, charged with stealing an overcoat, the property of John Robert Jones, employed by Mr. J. Williams, Harp Hotel, Abergele. The Justices were Messrs. J. T. Millward (chairman) and E. Williams. The evidence given at the previous hearing by P.C. Rowlands, Llanddulas, was read over. The prosecutor, John Robert Jones, 2, Rhuddian-road, Abergele, said he was a driver in the employ of Mr. John Williams, Harp Hotel, Abergele. He had a fawn- coloured overcoat in the saddle-room on Saturday, the 22nd October, and 011 going to look for it on the 23rd he found it missing, and he eventually informed the police of his loss. OIL Saturday, the 10th inst., he was sent for to the Abergele Police Station, and the coat now produced was shown to him, which he identified as the one he had lost. He had a matk on it stitched with led cotton under the light arm. He valued the coat at 7s. 6d., and the buttons at 2s. 6d., 10s. in all. The prisoner had 110 questions to ask, and when the charge was read out to him he had nothing to say. A further charge was then made against him of stealing a CLOCK AND SPEEDOMETER, valued at ^12, the property of a gentleman from H uddei sfield. The prosecutor, Mr. Joseph Blaimire, woollen manufacturer, Bradley Lodge, Hud- dersfield, said that in September last he had an accident to his car near Llanddulas, and it was placed in a field near the village. The speedometer was then attached to it. In a day or two afterwards he went to see the car, and the speedometer was missing, and infor- mation was given to the police. He identi- fied the speedometer and clock produced, as his property, and he valued it at about £12. It must have been taken off by a novice, as four screws had been taken off, whereas taking two off would have released it. Gwilym Hughes, 12 years of age, son of Ellen Hughes, a widow, living at The Square, Llanddulas, said that some time back he was with the prisoner at the Mill stable, and was reading in the paper about Crippen's case to him. He asked prisoner the time, when he went to a shelf on the top of the wall, took something in his hand and looked at it, and said it was after 7. He held the thing in his hand in such a way that he (witness) could not see it. and he then put it back on the shelf. Last Monday morning witness told Mr Robert Cross what he had seen. Robert Cross, corn dealer, Llanddulas Mills, said the prisoner, Daniel Owen, had been in his employ since the 24th of Angust last. At the request of the police, witness made a search of the premises, and, from what Gwilym Hughes had told him, he went to the stable, and on searching the top shelf he found the clock and speedometer now pro- duced, and took it to the house. It was wrapped up in what appeared to be an old stacking. He afterwards handed it to P.C. Rowlands. Usually no one but the prisoner had access to the stable, especially for the last month or two. P.C. Rowlands said that on the 16th Sept. last he received information that a motor clock and speedometer had been taken from a motor car left in a field, close to a gate, and only ten yards from the highway. In conse- quence of information received, he had reasons for visiting the prisoner on the 22nd of Sept. He told him that he had reason to believe that he was among others in the field where the motor car was left on the evening of the 15th September, between 7 and 8 p.m. He then made a certain statement implicating another party. Witness asked him whether he wished to say anything more about it. He said 41 I have not seen the speedometer and clock after it was thrown down on the field by Peter Evans. I think you will find the clock in his possession." On the 10th inst. he searched the prisoner's box in his bedroom at the Mill House. Before doing so he asked him if the box was his, and all that was in it, and he replied Yes." On searching the box he found the frame and the speedometer in it, wrapped in brown paper, and tied with string. He opened it out, and asked prisoner how it came into his possession, also saying the clock had been extracted He said I know nothing about the clock, but I found that in the field where the damaged motor car was left some time ago." Witness then asked him "Do you recollect me visiting you on the 22nd of September seeking information about some of these articles ? He replied" Yes; I had it for some time in the stable, but of late I have kept it in my box here." Last Monday (witness continued). I visited the Mills, and Robert Cross handed me the clock (produced). I charged the prisoner with stealing the speedometer and clock from the motor left in a field near Llanddulas on the Isth of Sept. last. He replied" I did not steal it. I found it in the field about a fortnight after the accident, and you know what I told yon about the clock." Sergt. Rees said an important witness (Peter Evans) was absent, and he asked for a subpoena to compel him to attend. A car was sent for Evans, but he did not attend. The charge was then read over to the prisoner, and he then said I wish to say that I did not take the speedometer from the car. Peter Evans took it from the motor, and thre>v it on the floor, savitig I Put it in your pocket,' but I replied 'No, I won't look at the crowd there is here. Leave it there, and come away from it.' He then took out his knife, ripped the tyre, and put the clock inside, and I asked him What good will that do you ?' Sergeant Rees said there were four other charges against the prisoner, for stealing clothing, but it was not intended to proceed with them. The prisoner was then committed to take his trial at the next Quarter Sessions, in January.

■ -.---Gazette News.

--....--.. Death of Mr. J.…

----.-.---Death of Father…