Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

9 articles on this Page

[No title]






The North Wales Football Association.



COAST SENIOR LEAGUE. CONWAY v. BANGOR RESERVES. VICTORY OF THE RESERVES. (BY RAMBLER.") The meeting of these keen rivals has always been considered the chief attraction of the sea- son. The Jackdaws have newer managed to de- feat the Homers in a League match at Conwiay. Last Saturday saw a most exciting finish, for although the visitors at one period of the game led by three goals the homesters managed, with vigorous dash, to score twice. The Homers have only Ted Owen to thank for averting a defeat. The ground was in a fearful1 condition, the goal nearest the town being flooded with water. It was most uniortynate that a genetlenian had been selected as referee who was a novice to League football, this being his first League match. I thought him to be very looag all through the game, with the result that shady tricks were allowed to go unpunished which should have been checked at once. One instance will suffice. Bob Owen on one oiccasion fouled the visiting centre forward,, and a free kick was given against Hughie Owen I may also men- tion Bangor's third goal. which Hughie Owen scored when offside. Bangor had a strong team, with Ted, Owen in goal, and in front of him were Tom Ireland and D. T. Thomas. No fault can be found with Arthur Owen, H. J. Davies, and D. T. Davies, [the, halves; whilst the following names will show that Banigor mieant business. As pivot they had Hughie Owen; the left wing included Hughie Davies, of the Bangor Combination, with Edgar Lloyd Jones as his partner and the inside right was that classical player, Charlie Burns, with Harry Rowlands, who played with Conway last season, as outside right. The Jackdaws were almost at full strength. Llew Parry was in goal, with the usual backs, Now Ellis and Tom Jones. The centre half was Bob Owen, and Will Evans, who is as good as any of 'em, kept a watchful eye on Hughie "Davies and Edgar. Sam Hughes completed the half division, and he too worked hard. Owing to Davies being missing, the front rank was disorganised. Tom Craven., as usual, was out- side right, and a reserve player, Tommy Mor- gan, partnered him but I must say that he was not a success. Joe Hughes acted as ruvot, whilst the left wing was complete with J. R. and Sam Parry. Referee: Mr Morris, Festiniog. CLEVER FOOTBALL BY BANGOR. It was soon seen that Bangor meantt to get goals, and the way they combined- was a treat. The first wing to show up was the right, Charlie Burns making rings round Sam Hughes and Ellis, and Llew Parry had a lot of stiff shots to deal with. Hughie Davies and E. Ll. Jones were seen at their best in a clever run. Will Evans, in attempting to break up the combina- tion, handling just outside the dreaded area. From the ensuing free kick Huphie Owen ran through, but Tom Jones cleverly took the ball from; his. to.e. Bangor were having the best of the argument, and E. Ll. Jones took a pass from Hughie Davies and went almost to the corner flag before he flashed a high shot into the home goalmouth. Tom Jones thought the ball was going out, but Llew Parry was not so certain, and he attempted: to save his goal by leaving his charge, but Charlie Burns got between him ,and Tom Jones and gently tapped the ball into an open goal. It was boiped that Conway would buck up after this reverse, but tfhey did not for some time, and fearful pressure vras brought on the home goal. Both the home backs and Llew Parry played brilliantly. Edgar passed the ball to Hughie Davies, who looked all over a scorer, when Tom. Jbnies again came to the rescue, putting into touch. From the throw in Llew. Parry saved a rasping shot from Hughie Owen. OONWAY UNFORTUNATE. Sam Parry and J. R. were closely watched by Arthur Owen, but Sam often got the belMer of the right half. A splendid attempt by the home outside left crashed against; the goalpost. The Blues pressed from now to the interval. A fine centre by Tom Craven was a capital chance for J. R., the ball lying in a pool of water in front of Ted Owen. But T. R. was too, hasty, putting the ball the wrong side of the post. A splendid shot by Sam Hughes brought Ted Owen' to his knees. Play was now very exciting. Sam Parry was rushing along with the ball, and when he was nicely placed the whistle sounded. It was indeed difficult to understand why the referee had pulled Sam Parry up, and some of the home spectators resented this decision. But to the surprise of all the referee gave a free kick against Bangor, and Joe Hughes almost de- feated Ted Owen. From now to the interval play was very exciting, but no more goals were scored. Half-time: Bangor, 1 Conway, o. BANGOR TAKE THE LEAD. Baneor at once got in front of Llew Parry up- on resuming, Rowlands sending into Llew's hands. After a run by Sami Parry, which was stopped by Arthur Owen, Charlie Burns got through, but Llew Parry left his charge, cleverly saving from the Bangor forward's toe. The pressure on the home goal was furious and Ellis, the home back, handled, Charlie Burns convert- ing the penalty. The Blues seemed to be dis- heartened, and taking advantage of this Bangor pegged away, Hughie, who was lyinr offside, scaring a third goal. BLUES SEEN AT THEIR BEST. The home, supporters shouted on. their pets to play up, and they responded gallantly. Tom Jones was often seen amongst the forwards, and on one occasion after working through a crowd of players, Tom, mistook the dressing sihed for the goal, for he crashed the ball against the door. However, this only occurred once, and! this was the signal for the home players to put more dash into their play. Tom Craven went off on the right, .sending in a terriffic drive, which Ted Owen was lucky to save, and from the clearance Tommy Morgan scored the best goal of the day, Ted falling full length in an endeavour to save. A moment later he was down again embracing the ball from, J.R.'s toe, and he happened to be well olver the line, but the referee was not near enough to see. Hard luck for Conway. Sam Parry centred, and Tommy Morgan was left with,, an open goal in front of Ted Owen, but a mighty shout went up when it was seen that he had lifted the ball miles over the, bar. The- last ten minutes saw Conway all over Bangor and T,ed Owen was seen at his best, for he was Here, there, and everywhere. Shots were banged in from all di- rections, especially one from Joe Hughes, which he was lucky to throw out as he was charged into the net. Ted Owen was penalised for over- stepping almost on the goal line, but the Blues were again baffled, as the custodian caught the ball and threw out. Just on time a terrific scrimmage took place in the Bangor goalmouth, and Joe Hughes was laid low and a penalty to Conway was converted; by Tom Jones. Before the ball had been centred thfe-whisitle sounded. Re sult: — Bangor, 3; Conway, 2. COMMENTS. The game throughout was stubbornly con- tested but I must say that Bangor played su- perio-r football, especially in the first half. But Bangor had a surprise in the second half, and only Ted Owen can be thanked for averting a defeat. Bangor have a good all-round team, and no faulit can be found with any of the players. The home. defence should be left alone, but the forwards were not at all in their usual form. Arthur Owen was, too good for J. R. and Sam Parry. I would advise the Con- way executive to, persevere with Morgan, who very soon will develop into, a capable pivot.. He has plenty of pluck and speed, but last Satur- day he suffered from excitement. (Continued on page 5.)