Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

7 articles on this Page


Ton-Pentre Police Court.

. Presentation Meeting at…

i After Three Years.

[No title]


iPorth Police ICourt.


i Porth Police Court. Thursday.—Before Messrs. T. P. Jen- kins, David Thomas, W. J. Thomas, AVin. Evans, Dr. E. N. Davies, Dr. Ivor Davies and Dr. T. W. Parry. BOY SHOP-THIEVES AT PORTH. Five Porth schoolboys, Henry Davies, Henry Thomas, Wilfred Butler, Claud Thomas, and Arthur Ferriday, were charged with stealing 14s. from a till ot 48, Pontypridd Road, Porth, the property of Wm. Mitchell. Mrs. Mary Jane Mitchell said that she had missed various sums of money from the till. On Wednesday, 17th inst., she missed 14s. At 6.30 p.m. that day her daughter called her into the shop, where she saw Butler crying. In answer to her questions, he said that he had no money, but intended having some and sharing it with his friends. She saw other boys outside the shop. v Maud Mitchell said she watched the shop on Wednesday, and saw a shadow on the counter. She afterwards saw Butler's hand on the till, and when caught, lie tendered her a halfpenny and asked for a bar of chewing-gum. Witness took the halfpenny and told her mother, who sent for the police. P.O. Phillips, Pontypridd, said that lie arrested the boys at Pontypridd late on Wednesday night. All of them admiUfcd I having a share of the money, which they had partly spent at the Burns-Johnson Fight exhibition, and partly on fish and chipfi and other delicacies. Henry Davies was fined 5s. Henry Thomas, Butler, and Claud Thomas were ordered four stroke.? of the birch; and Ferriday, whose parents refused to attend Court on his behalf, was remanded for a week. BREAD SALESMAN'S EMBEZZLE- MENTS. Charles Burr, bread salesman in the employ of Messrs. Thomas & Evans, Porth, was charged with embezzling three sums of money, the property of his em- ployers. Mr. D. Rees (Messrs. W. R. Davies & Co.) appeared for prosecutors, and said that he understood defendant was going to plead guilty, and prosecutors therefore did not press the charge. Lewis Watkin Morgan, clerk in the employ of prosecutors, gave evidence of cash received on various dates, but not recorded by defendant in the cash column of his book. Mrs. Mary Kibble, 44, East Road, Tylor stown. gave evidence of paying 10s. 3d. to prisoner on January 11th, which he receipted. Mrs. Margt. Davies, Llewellyn Street, Pontygwaith, said that she paid prisoner 6s. 3td. on January 18th, for which he signed in her book. P.S. Morris, Porth, said that prisoner gave himself tip that morning. In reply to the warrant, prisoner said: "I don't know what to say it is true." Mr. Rees said that the whole amount of the dafalcations was about £8 or C9. Prisoner, in reply to the Magistrates' Clerk, pleaded guilty. He added that lie had seen, Mr. Evans and had asked him not to press the charge, as he would pay the money back in a couple of months. Mr. T. P. Jenkins: I think you ought to be very grateful to Messrs. Thomas- & Evans for the kind way in which they have treated you. You can consider your- self lucky that you have such a generous prosecutor as Mr. Evans, but that is characteristic of him. Prisoner was fined zCl in respect of each charge. STREET FOOTBALL AT MARDY. David J. James, David Morgan, Abel Williams, Morgan Davies, Evan John, David Davies, Samuel Williams, Thomas and Samuel Jones, all of Mardy, were fined 5s. each for playing football in Mardy Road, Mardy. MUSIC AND DRINK. Wm. York, Tonypandy, was charged with stealing a silver-plated cornet, value about E16 the property of the Tonypandy Hibernia Club. James Brooks, secretary of the club, said that prisoner had asked if he should join the band, which he was allowed to do. He afterwards played regularly in the band, but the next practice after a contest held at Pontypridd on 20th Feb., prisoner-was seen to be playing a different instrument. Frederick Reed, lodging-house keeper, Pontypridd, gave evidence and said that on the night the contest was held, pri- soner came to his lodging-house and asked if there was room for him, but witness replied that there was not. Prisoner then asked if he should leave his instrument there which witness allowed. P.S. Evans, Tonypandy, said that when arrested, prisoner said that he had left the instrument at the Park Hotel, Ponty- pridd, whero the band bad put up the day of the contest, and, being intoxicated, left it there. Prisoner, at the Court, said that he left it at the Park Hotel because he was intoxicated and on Sunday following, when practice was held, he took another instrument. He went down to Ponty- pridd on the following Tuesday, intending to fstch it-, but again became intoxicated. He went to Fred Reed's lodging-house, but as there was no room to sleep there, he left the instrument there. Reed being a person that he knew well. Prisoner was bound over to be of good behaviour for twelve months, and the Bench told him that the best thing he could do was to give up the drink as soon as possible. TRESPASSING ON G.W.R. David Morgan, Penygraig, was sum- moned for trespassing on the G.W.R. near Clydach Vale." Mr. Parsons, Cardiff, prosecuted. James Williams, relief-man in the em- ploy of the Company, said that he watched the line at the place mentioned, and saw defendant walking along the line towards Penygraig. Fined m. HUSTLING IN THE PIT. Phillip James, collier, Ynyshir, was charged with breach of colliery rules at the Lewis-Merthyr Colliery, Trehafod. Mr. Kenshole, Aberdare, prosecuted, and Mr. A. T. James (Messrs. Morgan, Bruce, and Nicholas, Pontypridd) defen- ded. Henry Thomas, iiiider-minager at Tro- hafod Colliery, said that owing to a break- down at the Lady Lewis Colliery, Ynys- hir, the men had to be brought up through the Trehafod Pit, and the Tre- hafod men were raised first so as to get over the difficulty. The Ynyshir men were on the 4ft. landing, which was about 70 yards from the bottom. About 8.15 p.m., witness went to the 4ft. landing, after the Trehafod men had been taken up, and he saw about 150 to 200 men, who were waiting to be taken up, pushing and jostling. He got inside the gate and told them to keep order, or they could not be taken to the surface. Witness pointed out the danger of the front men being pushed down the shaft by overcrowding, but they took no notice, so he ascended the shaft and told the manager. In cross-examination, witness admitted that it was a common thing for' the men to get restless if they were kept waiting. Timothy Evans, manager of the Lewis Merthyr Colliery, said that when the under-manager told him about it, he descended to the 4ft. shaft and told them not to be fools, and that if they did not stop pushing they would not go up that night. He also drew their attention to the danger, telling them they were en- dangering, the lives of the men in front. He saw defendant 'pushing, and told him to stop it, but defendant asked him who he was, and he replied that it did not matter. James afterwards said that lie would accommodate him with something when he got up. Phillip James, the defendant, said he had taken his position in the gwt," but was pushed out. The general rule was that if a man was pushed out of his place, he tried to get back again, and that was what he was doing; that day. It was. impossible for him to be pushing, but lie had to go with the crowd. John Davies and William Davies, work- men in the same pit, said that they, near defendant in the gwt," were pushed out. A fine of t-,2 and costs was imposed.