Hide Articles List

5 articles on this Page




FOOTBALL, SEMI FINAL TIE. RHYL UNITED V. BUCKLEY VICTORIA. A DISGRACEFUL DEFEAT. WRETCHED DISPLAY BY RHYL. l By PmLrgp.] The last hope is vanished. Bangor on a technicality destroyed the visions of the Welsh Cup hopes of honours in the Combination tournament have long ago been dispelled, and now the North Wales Coast Cup has been ruthlessly snatched from the grasp of the Rhyl team by an obscure and un- known team rejoicing in the regal title of the Buckley Victoria. The match-for, in order to be courteous—we will call it one was played at Connah's Quay last Saturday. It was supposed to be neutral ground, but its neutrality consisted in the simple fact that it was not Buckley. It wa3, however, only four miles from that place and 20 miles from Rhyl. Consequently a Buckley crowd assembled there, supplemented by a number of Connah's Quayites, who were Buckleyites from the fact of contiguity, The ground upon which the match was played was far from the requisite width even if it was sufficient in length, and this told at once against the Rbyl team who are used to playing on a full sized ground. Worse still was its slippery condition through the froat, and as a climax to these adverse conditions came a blinding suow storm. The snow fell in thick flakes for fully a quarter of an hour during the first half and through- out the whole of the second half. The surprise is that the referee Mr F. Evans, did not order the match to be stopped, and the probability is that if either side had made objection he would have done so. But neither did so, and consequently the combatonts antagonized each other to the bitter end. The following team did-or rather failed-to do duty for Rhyl. Goal, Ike Williams; full backs, Vernon Jones, and Russell; half backs, T. Middleton, Alf Vaughan, and O. Totty; forwards, Thomas, Will Mathews, Milnes, Will Jones, and Hall. As everything depended upon the toss more interest centred in the spin of the coin. The luck was against Vaughan, who had to kick off against the hill, against the snow and against the wind. The Rhyl forwards opened strongly and commenced at once to trouble the Buckley backs. But they were perfectly to be depended upon and repulsed successfully two or three aggressive movements. The Buckly right, from at effective clearance made play and gave the Rhyl full-backs a taste of their qualities, but a lucky clearance was effected, and the ball was taken to the other end where Will Jones kicked behind. The goal kick landed the ball well at the feet of the Buckley forwards who commenced to lay seige on the Rhyl goal, Russell being ultimately forced to concede a corner. This was only partially cleared, the Buckley centre half returning the ball and placing it dangerous in front of the Rhyl goal. Vernon Jones eventually got his head under the sphere, and danger was averted for a while. After a fruitless visit to the Buckley end the measiders were again called upon to defend their charge. A couple of fouls fell to the Vies in suc- cession. Both kicks were well placed, but Russell and Vernon Jones formed an impregnable barrier and effectually covered Williams who thus far had not been called upon to handle. Aided by the wind the hill, and the elemental conditions the Vies were prosecuting a vigorous siege of the Rhyl goal, and the failure of the half-backs to intercept the combined rushes of the :attacking forwards, imposed a deal of extra work on Russell and Vernon Jones. Though they could not be beaten the continuity with which the attack was sustained prevented their making effective clearances, and they were obliged to force several corners. From one of these Millington called upon Ike Williams to handle and the huge clearance which he succeeded in making caused a momentary change of Tenue. Vaughan initiated a smart run on the Vies' charge, and Will Jones and Hall participated in it with so much success that the ball was finally centred at the mouth of the goal, where both Milne and Matthews failed to meet it and allowed to pass an easy chance of scoring- The left full back met the ball and sent it to the Buckley right and ere the Rhyl backs could recover their positions Kyffin and Millington had worked the ball down to within scoring distance but the latter kicked it a bit too hard with the result that Williams ran out to meet the ball and cleared his charge successfully. Another spasmodic attempt having been made on the Vies' goal hostilities were once more waged in the Rhyl quarters and Russell and Veroon Jones were conspicuous for some sound defensive tactics. A couple of fruitless corners fell to the Vies, and a foul in close proximity to the Rhyl goal nearly ended disastrously to the defenders. The tension was ulmately relieyed and Thomas, Mathews and Milne paid a visit to the Vies' goal but Mathews was easily robbed when steadying himself to shoot. A splendid bit of combined play on the part of tha VicsJ followed and a pretty bit of play was brought to a fitting climax by Kyffin scoring the first goal for the Vies with a swift low shot which gave Ike Williams no sort of a chanoe. This success was received with enthusiastic cheering and stimulated the Vica to increased exertions. They laid hot siege on their opponent's goal and it was more than once in jeopardy. Rhyl gradually began to press and more than once became dangerous but Ball proved himself a capable custodian and swed shot after shot in a miraculous fashion. From a kee kick for a foul within a measurable distance of goal Hall landed the ball within two or three yards of the goal line and both Milnes and Matthews had an opportunity of banging it through. The latter missed his kick but Milne met the ball only to send it provokingly over the bar. The goal kick enabled the Nics to once again assume she aggressive and they were swarming around Vernon Jones and Russell, the half-backs failing conspicuously to arrest the onslaught. Russell met with his nead a well directed shot from the foot of Kyffin and thereby saved what appeared to te a certain goal, and a moment later Vernon Jones neatly robbed a Buckley forward when in the act of taking a shot. Ultimately Will Jones and Hall got possession of the ball and again aided by Alf. Vaughan they entered the enemy's domasn Will Joues ultimately sending the ball behind yards wide *f the post. Rhyl next had to defend and a frae kick awarded to Buckley in midfield placed the ball at the foot of Millington who safely netted it a second time. Rhyl appealed for off side but the referee saw no reason to ieterfere and hostilities were re-commenced from mid-field. Rhyl evidenlty began to thin]?* that matters bad at last become sufficiently serious to prompt them to infuse a little more vigour into the play. They infused just too mnch for though, from now to the call of half time they bombarded their opponent's goal, their shooting was ot the wildest description. Such of their shots as were accurately aimed were zplendidly cleared by Ball who played a great game between the sticks. Despite all their endeavours the Rhyl forwards were unable to penetrate.the Buckley defence and half time arrived with the score 1 Bucklcv Vica 2 goals Rhyl United6 The game was resumed without the players leaving the field. The opening stages were of an I even character. Rhyl being the first to show up, Will Jones made a beautiful run down the left, at the end of which he made a bad miss, for after tricking several opponents he missed his kick when a possible chance to score presented itself. The Buokleyitea retaliated, and the right wing, by splendid combined play was able to make its way to the Rhyl territory, where Kyffin got possession and banged it past Williams in a clinking shot. The few Rhylites who lined the ropes had been looking forward with a certain amount of hope to the second half when they expected their favourites would buck up, and pull the game out of the fire. But, alas! It was not to be, as up to the time the Buckleyites scored they played with provoking looseness. Although the Potters well deserved the point they obtained in the second half Imaintain that it ought never have been secured. I am far from blaming the goalkeeper, but I must admit thatun my opinion it the outcome of a spirited run on the Buckley right, and loose play on the part of Russeil and Totty. When Rhyl were three down and they seemed to resliis their position, and their performance from this to the finish was sim- ilar to a team which came with a determination to to uphold the honour of the club they belonged to and form part of, and not simply for the trip, amidst a heavy downfall of snow which was blown by a high wind in the faces of the Buckley eleven, they played for all they were worth. Hardly once were the Potters able to cross the half-way line, while Ball was performing wonders between the ticks. He met shots from right and left in the most masterly style,and it was twenty minutesjfrom time before Rhyl were able to penetrate their defence. This came from Matthews, who, on the day's play, was by far the smartest forward of his side. He gave Ball more trouble than any one of the other four, and if he was blef-sed with a little more weight, he would be difficult to beat. From this to the finish there was only one team in it, but they again failed to find the net. The ball was kept almost continually in the Buckley goal mouth, and shots were sent in from all directions but without success. I noticed that Matthews struck the bar no leas than four times during the last twenty minutes with terrific sbot", while Russell and Vaughan had shies with likewise results. As will be seen below, the game ended in a victory for Buckley, and another to add to that long string of defetas and miserable displays of the Rhyl team. Buckley Vies 3 goals Rhyl United, 1


[No title]